The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
ChopSuey

David Backes Send Off In St Louis

If you were not watching the St Louis post game broadcast of tonight's game, you have to really appreciate how classy St Louis team, broadcasters and fans were in what appears to be David Backes final game.  Like Millers final home game a couple days ago, St Louis players congratulated Backes one by one, the fans gave him a 15 minute standing ovation and the broadcasters couldnt have been more kind and respectful.  All were very emotional.  Lastly they surprised Backes with a video message from his wife and kids. His parents drove down from Minnesota for the game.  He was also named the #1 Star tonight. He played for the Blues for 10 years and Captain for 5 years.   Very classy goodbye for a great career.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/backes-career-comes-full-circle-in-st-louis/c-324345432

Edited by ChopSuey
  • Like 7

Thanks for posting that article.  Backes is sure a class act!  I didn't know he was so close to 1000 games.  It's a shame he didn't play more this season because he could have hit 1000 career games in a Ducks jersey if he had.  I believe he played well enough to deserve to play many more games, but he is so classy he never complained about his limited playing time.  Instead he was thankful for the games he was in the lineup, especially this one in St. Louis.

Edited by CAsFirstCup
  • Thanks 1

Agree.  We would have had a legit chance to win more if he were in the line up more often.  Just more mismanagement by Eakins and Murray. And you are right never complained.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched his send off at the end of the game and I gotta say, he was never a key player here but I kinda felt for the guy though. You could see his emotion and I'm glad he got the proper send off. It was also not in the feed but after all the blues players congratulated him they said they were going over to Miller who was backing up last night and congratulated him as well. Classy move. 

I think he wasn't in the lineup more mainly because he was just more of a cap dump from the Bruins in that trade. So I think the organisation never valued him much and probably viewed many other players over him. Maybe in a normal season we would have seen him play more because he has the cap hit and I'd be difficult for us but who knows. Maybe if he had played all the games this season we might actually have awarded him the 1000 games in one of the games against the blues. 

But it was noticable how a lot of the guys, especially the younger ones were hugging him. Comtois is a good example of that. It's really too bad that it had to end this way but congrats to him on a great career!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1