The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
JustaDucksFan

Should we go after Jack Eichel?

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

primarily, because you've included the Shatt in your lineup.  part of the reason why the PP has been abysmal (there are many reasons) is that they kept putting him out on the PP to try to dredge any kind of offensive stats out of him and mirage-sweeten a trade or layoff to Seattle.  

it's crazy how Dehydrated Donkey Dungty both the Ducks and Toronto are on the PP this season.  the Ducks are penalized so often, you'd think they'd learn a decent PP strategy just from seeing so many while on the PK.  Toronto... they have no excuse.  in any event, whatever coaching we're looking to acquire for a better PP, it's going to be competing with Toronto's enquiries.  

lol:

13 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think your comparison to Tampa isn't really meaningful for the point you're making. The Lightning lost game 7 of the 2011 conference finals to the eventual champs (Boston) in what was Stamkos' draft+3 season and Hedman's draft+2 season (also the same season Marty St Louis posted 99 points as a 35-year-old). Guess what next season is for the Ducks? Zegras=draft+3. Drysdale=draft+2. Stamkos and Hedman tasted MASSIVE success very early on in their careers playing alongside organizational legends like St. Louis and Lecavalier, but what you've been proposing is for Zegras and Drysdale to finish in the bottom-3 of the league for two and maybe even three straight seasons while playing with a bunch of borderline NHLers after we trade away Lindholm and Rakell. Apple, meet orange. 

And btw, congratulations to the Lightning for getting that 3rd straight top-10 pick in 2010, Brett Connolly. What a difference maker. In fact, the next three top-10 picks for the Lightning were Brett Connolly (6th in 2010), Slater Koekkoek (10th in 2012), and Drouin (3rd in 2013). Hardly the pieces they have rebuilt with. The reality of the Tampa Bay Lightning success story is that they have hit on players NOT taken in the top-10. Kucherov (#58), Brayden Point (#79), Palat (#208), Cirelli (#72), Killorn (#77), Tyler Johnson (undrafted), Yanni Gourde (undrafted).... frankly, I'd love to imitate the Lightning - i.e. grab two impact players near the top of back-to-back drafts (Zegras + Drysdale) and then score big on a dozen other players drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and later rounds (or not at all). Sign me up for that rebuild! But that's miles different from you're proposing.

Stamkos and Hedman went straight to the NHL after being drafted as a result of being top-2 picks though. Zegras and Drysdale haven't played a full NHL season yet and Drysdale is playing pro because of the pandemic cancelling the OHL season. Shouldn't they get more time to develop and adapt to the NHL before we start putting the weight of the franchise on their shoulders? The 2011 Lightning team had two players with over 90 points (Stamkos, St. Louis) and 2 more with over 50 (Lecavalier, Teddy Purcell) which is far more production than any the Ducks currently have. My main point with Tampa was that they had one good season out of six and they turned out better than alright. We've been bad for three.

I'm in agreement with Gorbachav about this team's situation and think that there's no quick or permanent fixes to be made by next season. He's stated the reasons better and more succinctly than I can.

9 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I agree. Our pp alone next year should kill our hopes for a top pick. We were exceptionally bad. I'm not sure why the assistants were kept this long. I think we're probably closer to a bubble team but who knows. Maybe something to what the kings were this year, ok and could challenge for the last spot before falling out. 

If we want to pick high then we keep our coaching staff. 🤣

Not to mention if we can be relatively injury free then we also will be better. There's just too many things going wrong this year. I just don't think we can really bank on next year's top pick. More likely we're picking around 10th I think. 

Exceptionally bad is being kind. The Ducks scored 11 PP goals the entire year. They would have had to score 3x as many goals just to reach the league median of (32 - LA scored that many and still missed the playoffs by 14 points). That is a huge gap for the Ducks to close. They also had the second fewest power play chances. Odds are the Ducks will have an improved power play just because it defies odds that they can be that bad for two straight years and Zegras should give it a jolt. If the Ducks finish near 10th in the league next year then I think that's a very good showing and would give some confidence that they are heading in the right direction if nothing else.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Do we really think Landeskog makes it to free agency?  I have to think he re-signs with Colorado right after the expansion draft.  He's beloved there, and, as hard as it is to believe, he's still only 28.  If he does make it to free agency, I'd much rather go after Landeskog for $7.5 million per year than Eichel for $10.  You could make the argument that Landeskog won't be nearly as good without MacKinnon and Rantanen alongside him, and I can't say you're wrong, but I enjoy him as a player so much more than Eichel.  And he wouldn't cost team assets.

I would think so, but it seems a little strange that Colorado have not already locked up their captain 2 months out from free agency. That makes me think he wants to test the market and/or play elsewhere. Maybe he prefers beaches over mountains? Lol

Actually, teams up against the cap and facing decisions with their UFA/RFA players could work to our advantage. We have the cap space. My only issue with players like Landeskog (not going anywhere imo), RNH, etc., is if testing the market, they're gonna want 7 years. They're at the tail ends of their prime years, and we'd have them into their mid 30's. That's why Eichel makes so much sense, but man, his injury issues have me concerned (that and the asking price).

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

They couldn't sign him to an extension until last summer when they already knew about the expansion draft.  I don't know for sure, of course, but I would be surprised if they didn't already have a deal in place and are just waiting for the expansion draft to happen.  It's always possible Landeskog wants out, but he's got a sweet gig there and, as far as I know, Avs fans think he's great.  

I am not holding my breath on that one.

They're going to have an interesting summer with Landeskog, Makar, and Jost all needing new contracts, not to mention that they don't have a goalie signed for next season and Saad is also a UFA. They may still be trying to figure out how to fit everybody under the cap for next season and/or waiting to see how they do in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

They couldn't sign him to an extension until last summer when they already knew about the expansion draft.  I don't know for sure, of course, but I would be surprised if they didn't already have a deal in place and are just waiting for the expansion draft to happen.  It's always possible Landeskog wants out, but he's got a sweet gig there and, as far as I know, Avs fans think he's great.  

I am not holding my breath on that one.

Ah yes, you're right. I forgot about the expansion draft factor. They probably have a handshake agreement in place.

40 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

That is true.  They are in decent shape, though.  They're at $59 million before making any moves, even with Johnson coming off of IR.  They'll let Saad walk, I'm sure.  They'll have $22 million to sign Landeskog, Makar, a starting goalie, and three depth forwards (including Jost).  They'll get the depth forwards signed for $3 million, and I would guess Landeskog will go for $7.5 - $8.  That leaves them with $11 million for Makar and whomever they get for their starting goaltender, or Grubauer, if he stays.  I haven't followed it that closely, so their ace in the hole could be if Johnson is still hurt and needs to stay on IR.  That could give them the cap relief they need to get everyone signed.

Landeskog + 3 depth forwards gets them to only 12 forwards. There's no taxi squad next season so they'll likely need one more F on the active roster. They'll also need 1-2 more D-men. I think it's going to be very tight for them. I'm sure they're working on a home town discount for Landy right now. We'll see if he wants to take the haircut. This might be the best roster they can muster for a few seasons, so if they get upset by St Louis in the 1st round, maybe he tests the market.

We have very very few players of value.  Drys and Zeg are not available under any circumstances IMHO

We couldnt put together enough assets to trade for a bag of beans otherwise

See opinion from the press recently (Lyle Richardson)  I think this tells the story very accurately

ad2.png

SAY IF our Ducks do pursue Jack Eichel....IF They Do I will WEAR Mickey Mouse Hat on my Youtube Channel. Much as we can speculate we know it will not happen.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

As much as this team needs some real change, Jack Eichel is not a solution, mostly because of his long injury history and $10 mil salary. If he gets injured again while playing on the Ducks team, what product are we going to see on the ice? Henrique and Silfverberg surrounded by AHL players?

Off the topic: hey, Bob, if you really reading these threads, take a closer look at Alexander Barkov - a year older than Eichel, less expensive and excellent playmaker.

On 5/14/2021 at 5:45 PM, dukitup said:

Actually, teams up against the cap and facing decisions with their UFA/RFA players could work to our advantage. We have the cap space. My only issue with players like Landeskog (not going anywhere imo), RNH, etc., is if testing the market, they're gonna want 7 years. They're at the tail ends of their prime years, and we'd have them into their mid 30's. That's why Eichel makes so much sense, but man, his injury issues have me concerned (that and the asking price).

Landeskog en RNH are great players but they're not the kind we need. If we're looking to get a lot better by adding a big name it has to be a bonafide superstar. We're talking McDavid, Rantanen, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Marner, ... Those guys almost never become available. Eichel appears to be one but it looks like his neck issue is a rather big one. Not to mention we'd have to sell the farm. I'd rather BM go after Reinhart and then ride out one more season in the hopes of getting a very good prospect in the 2022 draft. 

If we can stay healthier and our young guys have a bit more experience there's no reason for us to suck as bad as we did this year. A new coaching staff on the other hand would go a long way. 

14 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Landeskog en RNH are great players but they're not the kind we need. If we're looking to get a lot better by adding a big name it has to be a bonafide superstar. We're talking McDavid, Rantanen, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Marner, ... Those guys almost never become available. Eichel appears to be one but it looks like his neck issue is a rather big one. Not to mention we'd have to sell the farm. I'd rather BM go after Reinhart and then ride out one more season in the hopes of getting a very good prospect in the 2022 draft. 

If we can stay healthier and our young guys have a bit more experience there's no reason for us to suck as bad as we did this year. A new coaching staff on the other hand would go a long way. 

at some point, i think TOR is going to have to shed some cap.  i'd love for us to get Marner, but it's always going to be Nylander (if it's anything).  like you, with those choices, i'd rather just ride it out and get prospects, and if needed, trade Gibson for something excellent.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

at some point, i think TOR is going to have to shed some cap.  i'd love for us to get Marner, but it's always going to be Nylander (if it's anything).  like you, with those choices, i'd rather just ride it out and get prospects, and if needed, trade Gibson for something excellent.

For a while I thought so too, but they've really benefitted from this trend of old, nearly washed up players signing for below market value like Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds, etc. to fill out their bottom-6. If they can convince Seattle to take Kerfoot of the books, they're in fine shape and won't need to move anyone for at least a couple of seasons, even if they're able to re-sign Hyman this summer. I think we'll need to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, FanSince1993 said:

As much as this team needs some real change, Jack Eichel is not a solution, mostly because of his long injury history and $10 mil salary. If he gets injured again while playing on the Ducks team, what product are we going to see on the ice? Henrique and Silfverberg surrounded by AHL players?

Off the topic: hey, Bob, if you really reading these threads, take a closer look at Alexander Barkov - a year older than Eichel, less expensive and excellent playmaker.

I agree with you about the injuries. $10M for Eichel would be fine....if he could stay healthy. But apparently he's about to have some kind of new disc replacement surgery in his back. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for $10M for a guy coming back from that kind of surgery.

Is Barkov available?

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I want Barkov so badly.  But it looks like the Panthers will have room to add another $3 million or so to his contract without putting themselves in too much trouble.  When Barkov becomes a UFA next offseason, they'll only have one more year of Yandle at that point and could buy him out if necessary.  Stralman's money will also come off the books that offseason. Even if they have to spend a good chunk of that to shore up the defense, I think they'll be able to make Barkov a competitive offer.

It will come down to whether Barkov wants to stay in Florida.  For us Ducks fans, though, that question is irrelevant, since if Barkov doesn't want to stay in Florida, why would he want to come to Anaheim?  Most of the reasons I can think of for him wanting to leave Florida (small market, questionable marketing opportunities, ownership, front office concerns) would apply to Anaheim as well.  Our only hope is that he loves sunshine but hates humidity.  Or maybe Teemu can convince him.

I don't know if that's fair.  Florida has LONG been questionable with occasional flashes of better.  Anaheim is the opposite... good for LONG stretches and are in a rebuild.  I think he could see that difference.

Plus, yes, no humidity and no... just... Miami.  

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

I don't know if that's fair.  Florida has LONG been questionable with occasional flashes of better.  Anaheim is the opposite... good for LONG stretches and are in a rebuild.  I think he could see that difference.

Plus, yes, no humidity and no... just... Miami.  

right now it seems like taxes and politics lead the secondary considerations on where players want to go.

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

right now it seems like taxes and politics lead the secondary considerations on where players want to go.

Taxes is possible, but we could build that into his salary.  I don't think a Finnish Russian cares about the politics.  The biggest issues seem national, anyhow.

17 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

If I'm looking at the two organizations right now, it's pretty easy to see which one is healthier. 

Me, too.  The Ducks.

Florida has made the playoffs for the third time since 2000, have not won a series since 1996, and have missed the last 4 years.  A good season does not make a healthy organization any more than down years make them a bad one.

I guess we just disagree here.  I see Florida at one of their rare peaks with downside upcoming, and the Ducks in a rare lull with upside coming.  I'd much rather be part of the latter, especially if I knew that my presence would accelerate that process.  I'd have way more faith that Ducks would sustain a window for several years during their next upswing than Florida would.  Florida has never, ever, had sustained success.  They've only been to consecutive playoffs once, in 96 and then 97.      

Food for thought:

1. Jack Eichel played one year of college hockey at Boston University in 2014-15 under then-Head Coach David Quinn. They lost in the Frozen Four Finals that season.

2. Trevor Zegras committed to Boston University in 2016 (as a 15-year-old!) after being recruited by HC David Quinn, and later played one season at BU a season after Quinn had been hired away by the Rangers.

3. David Quinn was just fired by the Rangers after posting pts % of .476, .564, and .536 during their rebuild. 

Life almost never works out like this, but wouldn't it be something if the Ducks acquired Eichel and fired Eakins, and then Eichel and Zegras then became the 1-2 punch under Quinn?

• Like 1

So Frank Seravelli has reported that Byfield is off the table in a potential Eichel deal:

“Quinton Byfield is a non-starter,” Seravalli noted. “He’s not leaving Los Angeles, but I think some of the other guys that are on that list: [Rasmus] Kupari, Samuel Fagemo, Arthur Kaliyev, those are types of players, top prospects that would interest the Sabres moving forward. If you can get a few of them, plus picks, plus maybe a roster player or two, who knows what the ultimate package looks like. But that’s how I think you would have to approach it.”

https://rinkroyalty.com/2021/05/17/la-kings-tsn-says-byfield-non-starter-jack-eichel-trade/

If Byfield is a non-starter, you'd have to assume that their package would be built around Turcotte. But if that's the case, how much better is the Kings' offer than what the Ducks can offer if we get a top-2 pick in this draft? Kupari was #20 overall. Fagemo and Kaliyev were both 2nd rounders. Turcotte was #5 overall and he could end up being very good, but his stock is down right now because his numbers this season with Ontario were nowhere near what Zegras put up with the Gulls (and were only slightly better than Jacob Perreault's numbers) and it seems like he's the early leader in the vote for "most likely to be a disappointment" from that group of center prospects in 2019 (i.e. the 2019 version of Griffin Reinhart?) 

I'm not saying we should go all in for Eichel, but I'm just not buying this idea that the Kings can blow us out of the water with an offer as long as they're not putting Byfield on the table. Even with Turcotte as the center piece, the Ducks can still match them with picks and prospects without using Zegras or Drysdale, especially if we stay in the top 2 or 3 picks after the lottery (and LA doesn't jump us, of course). Perreault + 2021 1st + 2022 1st + Lundestrom + rights to LaCombe. Maybe add a Heinen and/or Milano if Buffalo wants a roster player. What does LA match with that is clearly over the top of that offer?

42 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

So Frank Seravelli has reported that Byfield is off the table in a potential Eichel deal:

https://rinkroyalty.com/2021/05/17/la-kings-tsn-says-byfield-non-starter-jack-eichel-trade/

If Byfield is a non-starter, you'd have to assume that their package would be built around Turcotte. But if that's the case, how much better is the Kings' offer than what the Ducks can offer if we get a top-2 pick in this draft? Kupari was #20 overall. Fagemo and Kaliyev were both 2nd rounders. Turcotte was #5 overall and he could end up being very good, but his stock is down right now because his numbers this season with Ontario were nowhere near what Zegras put up with the Gulls (and were only slightly better than Jacob Perreault's numbers) and it seems like he's the early leader in the vote for "most likely to be a disappointment" from that group of center prospects in 2019 (i.e. the 2019 version of Griffin Reinhart?) 

I'm not saying we should go all in for Eichel, but I'm just not buying this idea that the Kings can blow us out of the water with an offer as long as they're not putting Byfield on the table. Even with Turcotte as the center piece, the Ducks can still match them with picks and prospects without using Zegras or Drysdale, especially if we stay in the top 2 or 3 picks after the lottery (and LA doesn't jump us, of course). Perreault + 2021 1st + 2022 1st + Lundestrom + rights to LaCombe. Maybe add a Heinen and/or Milano if Buffalo wants a roster player. What does LA match with that is clearly over the top of that offer?

The Kings definitely could outbid the Ducks simply because they have a better/deeper prospect pool to work with. That means giving up more than what you have the Ducks giving up in a bidding war though. However, the Ducks giving up what you are proposing is a huge gamble that I’m not sure I would do. Eichel’s health is one thing to be concerned about, but even with a healthy Eichel and Zegras down the middle I’m not sure the Ducks are 100% making the playoffs, and even if they do I don’t think they realistically are contenders. It’s possible in your deal the Ducks trade away a top 2 pick, a top 10 pick in a better draft if the Ducks still struggle a bit next year (injuries or otherwise), one of our best prospects, a decent roster player with upside, and a 2nd round pick with upside. That’s a lot of cheap organizational depth traded away, and 2 1st round picks gone, which makes it harder to reliably draft future NHL players that will be important to fill out the roster with talent. That trade could easily end up really hurting the Ducks down the line without making them true cup contenders now. 

I think that’s something you do when you’re already a playoff contender (Ducks getting Pronger) and need to get to the next level, or if you’re like the Kings and have so much prospect depth you could stand to lose all that and still have some decent pieces left over. In that Pronger deal the Ducks also gave up significantly less valuable 1st rounders since the team was already good.

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 1

we.  do not.  want to bet the farm.  on Eichel.  period.

he's too much of a risk of close to zero return, for too large an outlay, both in terms of his immense cap hit and, perhaps more importantly, in terms of the assets going the other way.  think Eaves, but 3 times as painful on cap hit, and i don't even know how to quantify how much more painful in terms of lost player value that would be traded away.  furthermore, if his neck surgery goes wrong or his injury lingers, it's not something he can play through... he's just done, and he'd be untradeable.  that SHOULD equate to a discount, as should his down-trending relationship with Buff... but it's silly to jump on a discount that absolutely cannot make up for the risk.  it's a galactically stupid move.

i'd MUCH rather see the Kings take that risk, even if Eichel's health never became an issue and it meant we had a few seasons of tough inter-divisional games as a result.  anyone else, just not us.  if we're going to mortgage our future, it had better be for a player without a well-documented AND CURRENTLY PRESENT joint injury with a relatively horrible outcome risk metric (spinal surgeries have just abysmal success stats, compared to almost all other orthopedic surgeries).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

I think that’s something you do when you’re already a playoff contender (Ducks getting Pronger) and need to get to the next level, or if you’re like the Kings and have so much prospect depth you could stand to lose all that and still have some decent pieces left over. In that Pronger deal the Ducks also gave up significantly less valuable 1st rounders since the team was already good.

I disagree with this part. Pronger was 31 when we got him and already on the back 9 of his career. Eichel is 24 and has a franchise altering level of talent, and would have been franchise altering virtually anywhere but Buffalo. He has 139 goals and 216 assists (355 points) in 375 games. That’s .947 points/game. Compare Getzlaf who, at the conclusion of his age 24 season (on a Stanley Cup contender) had 107 goals and 232 assists (339 points) in 363 games for a .934 points/game. (MacKinnon’s was .943 after his age 24 season too btw). I don’t think you add a 24 year old franchise player when you’re one player away. That’s the guy you rebuild around. Just like the Ducks rebuilt around the 25-year-old Twins after Niedermayer retired in 2010. And this roster is in much better shape than that 2010-11 Ducks roster was.

That said, I have the same concerns about Eichel’s injuries as Fisix does. You would just hope any acquiring team gets to talk to Eichel and his doctors before pulling the trigger on a deal.

Edited by dtsdlaw

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I disagree with this part. Pronger was 31 when we got him and already on the back 9 of his career. Eichel is 24 and has a franchise altering level of talent, and would have been franchise altering virtually anywhere but Buffalo. He has 139 goals and 216 assists (355 points) in 375 games. That’s .947 points/game. Compare Getzlaf who, at the conclusion of his age 24 season (on a Stanley Cup contender) had 107 goals and 232 assists (339 points) in 363 games for a .934 points/game. (MacKinnon’s was .943 after his age 24 season too btw). I don’t think you add a 24 year old franchise player when you’re one player away. That’s the guy you rebuild around. Just like the Ducks rebuilt around the 25-year-old Twins after Niedermayer retired in 2010. And this roster is in much better shape than that 2010-11 Ducks roster was.

That said, I have the same concerns about Eichel’s injuries as Fisix does. You would just hope any acquiring team gets to talk to Eichel and his doctors before pulling the trigger on a deal.

My point was about being able to afford to give up the assets it takes to get the player, not really about where the player is in his career. It becomes very hard to rebuild around Eichel when you give up so much of your farm/draft assets to acquire him. From now until the 2023 draft you better hope you get lucky in the later rounds of the draft or through trades, free agency, or what’s left of your system when it comes to acquiring talent, because if you don’t you won’t be challenging for the Cup until Eichel is in his late 20’s at the earliest. If you’re closer to one player away you already have the talent to surround Eichel with at the NHL level, so you can more easily afford to pay that prospect/draft capital price.

10 hours ago, Fisix said:

we.  do not.  want to bet the farm.  on Eichel.  period.

he's too much of a risk of close to zero return, for too large an outlay, both in terms of his immense cap hit and, perhaps more importantly, in terms of the assets going the other way.  think Eaves, but 3 times as painful on cap hit, and i don't even know how to quantify how much more painful in terms of lost player value that would be traded away.  furthermore, if his neck surgery goes wrong or his injury lingers, it's not something he can play through... he's just done, and he'd be untradeable.  that SHOULD equate to a discount, as should his down-trending relationship with Buff... but it's silly to jump on a discount that absolutely cannot make up for the risk.  it's a galactically stupid move.

i'd MUCH rather see the Kings take that risk, even if Eichel's health never became an issue and it meant we had a few seasons of tough inter-divisional games as a result.  anyone else, just not us.  if we're going to mortgage our future, it had better be for a player without a well-documented AND CURRENTLY PRESENT joint injury with a relatively horrible outcome risk metric (spinal surgeries have just abysmal success stats, compared to almost all other orthopedic surgeries).

Couldn't agree more. He's too big of a risk. I'd rather go after Reinhart and hold onto that 2022 pick. 

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Couldn't agree more. He's too big of a risk. I'd rather go after Reinhart and hold onto that 2022 pick. 

Reinhart is going to be expensive too. I would think a 1st + good prospect + middle tier roster player for him. So something like our 2022 1st + Groulx + Terry. 

On 5/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, nieder said:

I agree with you about the injuries. $10M for Eichel would be fine....if he could stay healthy. But apparently he's about to have some kind of new disc replacement surgery in his back. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for $10M for a guy coming back from that kind of surgery.

Is Barkov available?

On 5/18/2021 at 11:28 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I want Barkov so badly.  But it looks like the Panthers will have room to add another $3 million or so to his contract without putting themselves in too much trouble.  When Barkov becomes a UFA next offseason, they'll only have one more year of Yandle at that point and could buy him out if necessary.  Stralman's money will also come off the books that offseason. Even if they have to spend a good chunk of that to shore up the defense, I think they'll be able to make Barkov a competitive offer.

It will come down to whether Barkov wants to stay in Florida.  For us Ducks fans, though, that question is irrelevant, since if Barkov doesn't want to stay in Florida, why would he want to come to Anaheim?  Most of the reasons I can think of for him wanting to leave Florida (small market, questionable marketing opportunities, ownership, front office concerns) would apply to Anaheim as well.  Our only hope is that he loves sunshine but hates humidity.  Or maybe Teemu can convince him.

Barkov is so nasty and I’d actually want him over Eichel from a talent perspective but watching the playoffs is hammering the point (as if the regular season didn’t do enough) just how far the gap is between the Ducks and contenders even if we added a legit center. 

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If I’m Buffalo and would do a trade without Zegras or Drysdale then I’d absolutely take that deal. Although, the Ducks need to move more money out if they want to fit in Eichel’s $10 mil contract plus sign Comtois, Jones given the financial landscape. That said, if I’m the Ducks then there is no way I’m making this trade. A top-4 pick this year and a potential top-5 or lottery pick next year + Perreault + would be a heist for Kevyn Adams.

To me, this would be Murray trying to save his job and not caring whatsoever about the damage it does long term since he won’t be around to deal with it. 

11 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I guess my question is how are the Ducks that much better than Buffalo right now? We just came off a historically bad season and if there was any other franchise that Eichel couldn’t alter then it’s this one especially with all signs pointing to Murray and Eakins not going anywhere before next season. 

The Ducks got Pronger the year after they lost to him and the Oilers in the WCF, where he absolutely dominated. He was the missing piece to a puzzle here that had clearly taken shape. It’s a vastly different situation now if they went after Eichel as the Ducks aren’t anywhere close to having those kind of pieces, in particular ones equivalent to Getzlaf/Perry, who we drafted and didn’t give up major assets to get. Are we even able to trade for Pronger if we had to trade for one or both of the twins? The Ducks would have to mortgage their future for Eichel and rely on guys like Henrique, Silfverberg who will both be 31 and on the back 9 of their careers as well, Rakell who can walk next summer while putting a ton of pressure on Zegras and Drysdale to do heavy lifting in their first full seasons. Also, it just seems very unusual that a team going through the painful development stage of a rebuild like the Ducks are a big trade or two away from getting out of it. It’s just not ideal and the risk is way too high, imo. 

I’d rather reassess making major moves to upgrade this team next summer after Zegras/Drysdale go through their first full NHL seasons and hopefully with a new GM.

I would rather much prefer Anaheim Ducks to get 2nd Overall Pick. or 4th Overall. IF that happens...they should package it to get Jack Eichel...however I have some questions.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Reading about the Eichel injury, if I were the Ducks I would take a hard pass on trading for him. Eichel wants experimental artificial disc replacement surgery, while Buffalo wants rehab and at worst disc fusion surgery if rehab fails. Problem with replacement surgery is there's no long term studies on athletics (physical players) that have had the surgery. You're talking about the neck area too, where one bad hit into the boards could be catastrophic. If there's a drop in asking from Buffalo, then I might revisit, but with the Ducks history of career ending health issues (Souray, Eaves, Despres, Kesler) I think I would look elsewhere.

As far as the 2022 pick is concerned, I would think with a full season of Zegras, Drysdale, Lindholm and Manson (if still here) and new coaches on the PP, we're better by default. Throw in some expected maturation from other younger players, I don't see the Ducks as a top 5 lottery team next season. 🤞