The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Seems we are stuck with Bob

If they were going to send him backing why would they wait?

and take Eakins with you please

Edited by Administrator
Bad Taste in Title

not going to change before the ED.  not sure why we have to keep pointing that out every 5-15 days or so.

• Thanks 1

So his reward for sucking so bad, is that he gets to make our pick in the ED?

Since when do teams fire their GM's AFTER the Draft?  I don't buy it.  If ownership wanted to send a message and get rid of him, they would have done it on Monday.

I'll predict it now.  He's not going anywhere, and neither is Eakins.  Though I am not against Eakins staying as much as I am against Murray being able to make decisions through the 21-22 season.

I'm so glad I moved my seats so I'm now paying 1/3rd of what I had been.  I don't expect next season to be much different, and months from now, we'll still be here bashing BM, and his poor decisions.

Ownership really doesn't care.  But they do care about people coming to the arena and spending money on parking, food, drinks & merchandise.  I can tell you right now, that when crowds return later this year to 100% capacity arenas, Honda Center is going to struggle reaching 10K attendance most nights.  If I wasn't an original season seat holder, I'd not go anywhere near season tickets, because it's going to be easy getting good tickets for 1/2 face value almost every night.

• Confused 1

Bob isn't a terrible GM. If we decide not to get rid of him I won't be too upset. It could be worse. I mean Chiarelli is available...🤣:ph34r:

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Just to make you crazy and come on its post season.  The ED decisions are likely made for the Ducks

Decison who the Ducks will be protected will be long and hard one...So Many players important to their group but always the unwritten motto is always whether it be trades,FA Signings or Expanison Draft "Players Come,Players Go".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Since when do teams fire their GM's AFTER the Draft?  I don't buy it.  If ownership wanted to send a message and get rid of him, they would have done it on Monday.

I'll predict it now.  He's not going anywhere, and neither is Eakins.  Though I am not against Eakins staying as much as I am against Murray being able to make decisions through the 21-22 season.

I'm so glad I moved my seats so I'm now paying 1/3rd of what I had been.  I don't expect next season to be much different, and months from now, we'll still be here bashing BM, and his poor decisions.

Ownership really doesn't care.  But they do care about people coming to the arena and spending money on parking, food, drinks & merchandise.  I can tell you right now, that when crowds return later this year to 100% capacity arenas, Honda Center is going to struggle reaching 10K attendance most nights.  If I wasn't an original season seat holder, I'd not go anywhere near season tickets, because it's going to be easy getting good tickets for 1/2 face value almost every night.

Pick?   If any team is going to pick, it will be Seattle.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Firing is not common after the draft, but there are plenty of examples of GMs stepping aside after the draft for a new GM to step up from within the organization to take over. Yzerman-BrisBoise in Tampa. Sherman-Sakic in Colorado. Tallon-Bowman in Chicago. Even our very own Bob Murray took over for Burkie in November 2008.

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that Bob does the ED, entry draft, and the opening of the UFA period this summer and then moves into a different role so that Madden can take over GM duties. I don't expect him to be fired though. Not ever. He's too entrenched in the executive leadership to be run out of town. Stepping aside is the most fans who want him gone can likely hope for.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Firing is not common after the draft, but there are plenty of examples of GMs stepping aside after the draft for a new GM to step up from within the organization to take over. Yzerman-BrisBoise in Tampa. Sherman-Sakic in Colorado. Tallon-Bowman in Chicago. Even our very own Bob Murray took over for Burkie in November 2008.

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that Bob does the ED, entry draft, and the opening of the UFA period this summer and then moves into a different role so that Madden can take over GM duties. I don't expect him to be fired though. Not ever. He's too entrenched in the executive leadership to be run out of town. Stepping aside is the most fans who want him gone can likely hope for.

No new GM would be happy about a former GM making the picks that determine the franchise future.  Bob Murray does not have the moral compass to do the right thing and step aside.  Again like a post I wrote months ago, the fans opinion does not matter.  I wont be dropping a dime on anything Ducks if he stays in the current position.  I think Murray has a massive ego and the rest of the organization is afraid of him for some reason.  Sad continued decline of a once great franchise.  He needs to go.  The fans pay for everything but ignored?  Doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Decison who the Ducks will be protected will be long and hard one...So Many players important to their group but always the unwritten motto is always whether it be trades,FA Signings or Expanison Draft "Players Come,Players Go".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Moose we are not building a rocket to Mars.  There are only so many options or combinations of options.  Murray is not needed for that task.  If this happens, you make that choice.  Im sure its mapped out to a large extent.

Edited by ChopSuey

1 minute ago, ChopSuey said:

Moose we are not building a rocket to Mars.  There are only so many options or combinations of options.  Murray is not needed for that task.  If this happens, you make that choice.  Im sure its mapped out to a large extent.

IF there is map....I hope they have CLEAR pic of Ducks for their Rebuild and Rejuvenation Phase.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

IF there is map....I hope they have CLEAR pic of Ducks for their Rebuild and Rejuvenation Phase.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If they don't have a map, they have no business being in management.

13 minutes ago, ChopSuey said:

If they don't have a map, they have no business being in management.

True...I have always used the phrase Rebuild and Rejuvenation describing the Ducks...Gibson made one interesting...adding Recharge and Reset.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

i'm fairly certain that the deal has been in place for at least a year that BM stays on through the drafts and probably at least partially into the next season to protect Eakins continuing as head coach to start next season.  Eakins will probably be the only protected coaching position going into next season, the rest of the coaching staff (including training and medical) i think will be shopped and replaced, but it'll be difficult because whoever comes in will know that they'll likely get the boot if/when Eakins gets kicked by a new GM.

some of the timing on when people step down or get fired will probably be dependent upon how the team performs to start next season.  i doubt injuries will be allowed to excuse poor performance - it'll be: make it work, prove you're up to the challenge, or we get someone else.   

BM will step down before half the season is over, UNLESS the team goes on some kind of miraculous winning streak to start the season - it'd have to be a franchise record, though.  regardless, BM will step down as GM next season, probably as part of a deal to bring in someone new.  any interim GM will be home grown, but i doubt they hire a new non-interim GM from within.  it wouldn't be shocking for them to promote from within, but it'd be disappointing, and my personal opinion is that it would extend all our problems with team performance, league view of the team, etc.  it would be an ownership failure, even if it were part of a long view strategy - it's just too conservative an approach for a rebuilding team.

i think BM will do whatever he can to give Eakins one last fair shot at HC.  regardless of the majority opinion voiced on this forum, you'd be hard pressed to find any executive in the league that thinks Eakins has been given a fair shot to date, not with this set of players, and not under the various extenuating circumstances.  some of the blame Eakins gets saddled with, regardless, because he accepted the job knowing how things would go down, but, for me, it's just too harsh to judge his coaching prowess based on what's happened in the past two seasons.  i admit Eakins hasn't done much to impress me through this season (I purposefully withheld judgement until the season was over), but I'm not sure the plan has been to build a team that needs a herculean coaching effort to beat the teams that were in our division this season.  that said, i've liked the development of a few players over the season... it was slow, but it seems pretty solid/reliable.  and, the ones that haven't developed (or floundered) are pretty apparent.  there's value in that.

at this point, it stretches credibility to think that there's some viable master plan that'll bring all these possible machinations together into a solidly rebuilt team... but i'm not willing to overlook all the mountains of extenuating circumstances to Eakins detriment, and i still think there's potential for an upside to him being HC to start next season.  BM has all but announced his retirement from the Ducks, so i'm not super concerned with his future, and i think he's just too conservative an operator to handicap the Ducks with too little flexibility going forward. 

man, we could write a really interesting book comparing and contrasting the ~recent GM switch in Toronto with how the GM switch is going to happen in Anaheim.  lots of interpersonal similarities, lots of stark strategic differences.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dukitup said:

Pick?   If any team is going to pick, it will be Seattle.

I meant the Entry Draft, which is confusing since it has same initials as Expansion Draft.

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I meant the Entry Draft, which is confusing since it has same initials as Expansion Draft.

i only ever use ED to refer to the expansion draft.  the entry draft is just the draft.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fisix said:

i only ever use ED to refer to the expansion draft.  the entry draft is just the draft.

ED= Expanison Draft

Entry Draft=Draft

Simple as that....we can all agree these 2 events is what our Ducks need to strategize and think in making any Major Reforms on the team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fisix said:

i'm fairly certain that the deal has been in place for at least a year that BM stays on through the drafts and probably at least partially into the next season to protect Eakins continuing as head coach to start next season.  Eakins will probably be the only protected coaching position going into next season, the rest of the coaching staff (including training and medical) i think will be shopped and replaced, but it'll be difficult because whoever comes in will know that they'll likely get the boot if/when Eakins gets kicked by a new GM.

some of the timing on when people step down or get fired will probably be dependent upon how the team performs to start next season.  i doubt injuries will be allowed to excuse poor performance - it'll be: make it work, prove you're up to the challenge, or we get someone else.   

BM will step down before half the season is over, UNLESS the team goes on some kind of miraculous winning streak to start the season - it'd have to be a franchise record, though.  regardless, BM will step down as GM next season, probably as part of a deal to bring in someone new.  any interim GM will be home grown, but i doubt they hire a new non-interim GM from within.  it wouldn't be shocking for them to promote from within, but it'd be disappointing, and my personal opinion is that it would extend all our problems with team performance, league view of the team, etc.  it would be an ownership failure, even if it were part of a long view strategy - it's just too conservative an approach for a rebuilding team.

i think BM will do whatever he can to give Eakins one last fair shot at HC.  regardless of the majority opinion voiced on this forum, you'd be hard pressed to find any executive in the league that thinks Eakins has been given a fair shot to date, not with this set of players, and not under the various extenuating circumstances.  some of the blame Eakins gets saddled with, regardless, because he accepted the job knowing how things would go down, but, for me, it's just too harsh to judge his coaching prowess based on what's happened in the past two seasons.  i admit Eakins hasn't done much to impress me through this season (I purposefully withheld judgement until the season was over), but I'm not sure the plan has been to build a team that needs a herculean coaching effort to beat the teams that were in our division this season.  that said, i've liked the development of a few players over the season... it was slow, but it seems pretty solid/reliable.  and, the ones that haven't developed (or floundered) are pretty apparent.  there's value in that.

at this point, it stretches credibility to think that there's some viable master plan that'll bring all these possible machinations together into a solidly rebuilt team... but i'm not willing to overlook all the mountains of extenuating circumstances to Eakins detriment, and i still think there's potential for an upside to him being HC to start next season.  BM has all but announced his retirement from the Ducks, so i'm not super concerned with his future, and i think he's just too conservative an operator to handicap the Ducks with too little flexibility going forward. 

man, we could write a really interesting book comparing and contrasting the ~recent GM switch in Toronto with how the GM switch is going to happen in Anaheim.  lots of interpersonal similarities, lots of stark strategic differences.

I don't really care if Eakins has been given a 'fair shot' or whatever to be honest. I know he didn't have a lot of talent to work with but he compounded our misery with stupid lineup decisions and a 'system' better suited to the 1990s.  He's didn't have an NHL caliber roster but I also don't think he's an NHL caliber coach.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:09 AM, ChopSuey said:

No new GM would be happy about a former GM making the picks that determine the franchise future. 

Well, except the 4 specific examples mentioned, and possibly others.

SO Once Ducks 29th Season Begins many of should show our displeasure and anger towards Bob Murray...he has failed and is not worthy of Ducks General MangerShip....Clearly it's within our RIGHT.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, nieder said:

I know he didn't have a lot of talent to work with but he compounded our misery with stupid lineup decisions and a 'system' better suited to the 1990s.  He's didn't have an NHL caliber roster but I also don't think he's an NHL caliber coach.

jury is still out, for me.  looking back on this season, i think he did a much better job developing young talent than our past two coaches (not counting GMHCBM).  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fisix said:

jury is still out, for me.  looking back on this season, i think he did a much better job developing young talent than our past two coaches (not counting GMHCBM).  

LOL...Good Point.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

A coach can only do so much damage, and it's usually short term damage.  You can resolve any issues by letting them go, and bringing in a new coach with a different system.  i don't have a problem with giving Eakins more opportunity to succeed.  So far as I'm concerned, he wasn't given a lot to work with.  But I've never really felt he was a great hiring, and that the only reason he was hired, is that he happened to be the coach of the Ducks minor league club, so management didn't have to do a search for a coach with extensive and successful NHL experience.  Also he probably was available on the very cheap.  Not like he could demand much since his only league level experience, was unsuccessful, and he was fired from that job.

The GM on the other hand, can do long term damage.  They're making decisions that will help or hurt a club for years to come.  It could mean the difference between drafting a Bobby Ryan and a Chad Kilger early in the 1st Round.  Sad that it looks like Bob is going to be calling the shots over the coming months, and especially with our Top 5 pick.

Edit: I should point out that Kilger might actually be one of the greatest draftings in Ducks history, since he brought us Teemu.

Edited by HockeyIzCool
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

A coach can only do so much damage, and it's usually short term damage.  You can resolve any issues by letting them go, and bringing in a new coach with a different system.  i don't have a problem with giving Eakins more opportunity to succeed.  So far as I'm concerned, he wasn't given a lot to work with.  But I've never really felt he was a great hiring, and that the only reason he was hired, is that he happened to be the coach of the Ducks minor league club, so management didn't have to do a search for a coach with extensive and successful NHL experience.  Also he probably was available on the very cheap.  Not like he could demand much since his only league level experience, was unsuccessful, and he was fired from that job.

The GM on the other hand, can do long term damage.  They're making decisions that will help or hurt a club for years to come.  It could mean the difference between drafting a Bobby Ryan and a Chad Kilger early in the 1st Round.  Sad that it looks like Bob is going to be calling the shots over the coming months, and especially with our Top 5 pick.

Edit: I should point out that Kilger might actually be one of the greatest draftings in Ducks history, since he brought us Teemu.

Hogwash QUACK HockeyIZCool Many of us WOULD not have expected Ducks to Trade Kilger and Oleg for Selanne.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Hogwash QUACK HockeyIZCool Many of us WOULD not have expected Ducks to Trade Kilger and Oleg for Selanne.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I am sure if Bob was a manager back then, he would not trade Tverdovsky - he would treat him like he treats Cam Fowler - our untouchable "franchise player", creative defenseman, how can I trade second-overall pick, bla, bla, bla.....Jack Ferreira had guts to do it, something Bob does not have.

Also, if memory serves me right, at the time of this trade Selanne had like 3 years remaining on his contract at very reasonable $2.75 mil per season. It was a steal for this team, perhaps the best trade in Ducks history. Selanne turned out to be a Hall of Fame member, Tverdovsky was bounced from team to team before he end up playing in Europe, and Chad Kilger? I never even heard of him since he got traded. 

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

I am sure if Bob was a manager back then, he would not trade Tverdovsky - he would treat him like he treats Cam Fowler - our untouchable "franchise player", creative defenseman, how can I trade second-overall pick, bla, bla, bla.....Jack Ferreira had guts to do it, something Bob does not have.

Also, if memory serves me right, at the time of this trade Selanne had like 3 years remaining on his contract at very reasonable $2.75 mil per season. It was a steal for this team, perhaps the best trade in Ducks history. Selanne turned out to be a Hall of Fame member, Tverdovsky was bounced from team to team before he end up playing in Europe, and Chad Kilger? I never even heard of him since he got traded. 

Didnt Vodka Bob also trade Palmeri for a 2nd round pick?  I can only imagine what Bobs peers say behind his back.

Edited by ChopSuey

15 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Didnt Vodka Bob also trade Palmeri for a 2nd round pick?  I can only imagine what Bobs peers say behind his back.

2nd AND 3rd, with only one year left on this contract.

Behind his back they said, "Here's another nomination for GM of the year that we vote for after winning it just last year."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2021 at 8:52 AM, dtsdlaw said:

I agree with this. He does bring value but not as the GM of the team any longer.

19 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I agree. Bob is ultra conservative and takes no risks. He can only see what is in his own cup at the moment but fails to see  the potential in making moves to achieve the optimum results. My assumption is that He shrivels up when another GM counters his initial proposals. He lacks the art of the GM deal making.

• Like 1