The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Seems we are stuck with Bob

31 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Geoff Ward has a win% over .500. I'm considering this hire a big win for that fact alone.

Mike Stothers is also Joining our Ducks Coaching Staff.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

what happened with Ward in Calgary again?? He's the one that got replaced by Sutter right? Just seems weird (not bad necessarily) that we had Sutter....Ward gets fired...Sutter takes Ward's old job....and then Ward comes here lol

But just as Petr said....he has a winning% above .500! wooo!!!

So..........we'll have 4 assistants? 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

So..........we'll have 4 assistants? 

Does any head coach have 4 assistant coaches? Does Eakins really need that much assistance...lol? Ward has Cup experience and won with the Bruins. So it would be nice to have someone behind the bench with a Cup win not named Carlyle.

9 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Does any head coach have 4 assistant coaches? Does Eakins really need that much assistance...lol? Ward has Cup experience and won with the Bruins. So it would be nice to have someone behind the bench with a Cup win not named Carlyle.

I am assuming the other two are gone, but I haven't seen that they were let go. Did their contracts just expire?

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

bam:

Somehow all the cheezy Calgary commenters on twitter are going with "Good Luck with Ward". Eh. Still anything better then what we had recently.

3 hours ago, Aksun said:

Somehow all the cheezy Calgary commenters on twitter are going with "Good Luck with Ward". Eh. Still anything better then what we had recently.

He ran a good power play in Calgary, I imagine that’s what he’s here for. I’ve heard nothing, but great things about Stothers. Wouldn’t mind giving him a shot after Eakins innevitably fails and gets fired. 

42 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

A lot of announcements. No MEANINGFUL progress.

This is extremely meaningful, especially considering that we expected nothing from anyone until after the ED.

PP was a huge miss for us.  As has been pointed out, with many losses of 1 goal, we may have even sniffed playoffs if it was mildly better.  

How do you figure this isn't meaningful? And/or what are you recommending at this time?

4 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

This is extremely meaningful, especially considering that we expected nothing from anyone until after the ED.

PP was a huge miss for us.  As has been pointed out, with many losses of 1 goal, we may have even sniffed playoffs if it was mildly better.  

How do you figure this isn't meaningful? And/or what are you recommending at this time?

Also the NHL season has not even ended yet...we are still pretty early into our offseason.

4 hours ago, gotchabari said:

ok, let's say you are right. 2 more assistants in addition to existing assistants. Does it mean DE will have 4 assistants?

1 minute ago, FanSince1993 said:

ok, let's say you are right. 2 more assistants in addition to existing assistants. Does it mean DE will have 4 assistants?

Lol I hope not. Those guys were not effective at all. Send them to coach somewhere in Antarctica or something. 

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I doubt it.  Sounds like these will be the two.  And an extremely meaningful upgrade on both counts, even if the other two are still around for some strange reason.

I'm still trying to figure out your comment.  What about these coaches isn't good news?  And/or what other meaningful event is supposed to have occurred at this point in the off season?

I can't figure out your context and don't want to put words in your mouth or make assumptions.

16 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

I doubt it.  Sounds like these will be the two.  And an extremely meaningful upgrade on both counts, even if the other two are still around for some strange reason.

this is what I don't get...i mean, i made my comment about the 4 assistants a bit facetiously....like, no duh, we wont have 4 assistants....bbbbuuuuuutttttt.......Wilford and Morrison are still hired. I...I don't get why still have them hired? This is like when the Leafs got Freddie and Berniers was all "man, that's strange...why are we paying $5mil for a back up goalie???" ....

So....WILL we have 4 assistants? lol

9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Just reforms behind the Bench...Real Reforms begin when our Ducks make Important Trades.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

31 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

this is what I don't get...i mean, i made my comment about the 4 assistants a bit facetiously....like, no duh, we wont have 4 assistants....bbbbuuuuuutttttt.......Wilford and Morrison are still hired. I...I don't get why still have them hired? This is like when the Leafs got Freddie and Berniers was all "man, that's strange...why are we paying $5mil for a back up goalie???" ....

So....WILL we have 4 assistants? lol

I believe I saw a tweet about Wilford and Morrison not returning. So it would just be Ward and Stothers. 

42 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I believe I saw a tweet about Wilford and Morrison not returning. So it would just be Ward and Stothers. 

you did?! ....well....that seems like big news haha.....

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Definitely meaningful if you ask me. We got rid of the assistants that have turned our PP into a historically bad one, and led the defense down a dark hole. Having Ward and Stothers alongside Eakins makes me a lot more confident than Eakins with the other two. 

if you were still hoping Eakins and BM were going to get fired , then you’re way behind the times, and probably inconsolable. Small steps are better than no steps . Put a smile on .

Edited by yeaitsme
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, gotchabari said:

I'm still trying to figure out your comment.  What about these coaches isn't good news?  And/or what other meaningful event is supposed to have occurred at this point in the off season?

I can't figure out your context and don't want to put words in your mouth or make assumptions.

What I am trying to say is: you can hire the best assistants in the world, it won't matter until some significant changes will be made in the roster. Ducks is limited on talent, it's obvious, worse PP in the history of modern NHL is a perfect indication of it. Since I completely lost faith in this GM, the only hope is someone knowledgeable will take over next summer and we'll start seeing some REAL changes. 

Edited by FanSince1993

13 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

that is MUSIC TO MY EARS!!! that's HUGE! Wow!....I don't inherently like that they are still involved....but as long as they aren't on the coaching staff this is GREAT!

wow....I can finally stop posting my "we need to fire these assistants" ....*sniff* i...i never thought this day would come...I...i don't know what to say. ...excuse me for a min... *sniff sniff sniff*

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

that is MUSIC TO MY EARS!!! that's HUGE! Wow!....I don't inherently like that they are still involved....but as long as they aren't on the coaching staff this is GREAT!

wow....I can finally stop posting my "we need to fire these assistants" ....*sniff* i...i never thought this day would come...I...i don't know what to say. ...excuse me for a min... *sniff sniff sniff*

I have no problem if both are still employed as assistants through the ED and draft. Maybe they'll be kicked upstairs before then. I don't know. As long as employed by the Ducks, they're contractually obligated to the franchise. I'm sure they may know some of the Ducks strategies going forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

I have no problem if both are still employed as assistants through the ED and draft. Maybe they'll be kicked upstairs before then. I don't know. As long as employed by the Ducks, they're contractually obligated to the franchise. I'm sure they may know some of the Ducks strategies going forward. 

One of the Gulls assistants (David Urquhart) has taken a coaching job at McGill University, so there is an opening on Dineen's staff. Wilford was an assistant for our AHL affiliates in San Diego, Norfolk, and Syracuse from 2011-2018, and I'd have no issue if Wilford was back with the Gulls next season. Maybe they can find a spot for Morrison as an amateur scout for the Ducks' ECHL affiliate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

One of the Gulls assistants (David Urquhart) has taken a coaching job at McGill University, so there is an opening on Dineen's staff. Wilford was an assistant for our AHL affiliates in San Diego, Norfolk, and Syracuse from 2011-2018, and I'd have no issue if Wilford was back with the Gulls next season. Maybe they can find a spot for Morrison as an amateur scout for the Ducks' ECHL affiliate. 

Would not Surprise me if Wilford returns to the Gulls.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Thanks for this, as I had not seen this reported anywhere. So Morrison and Wilford have not been 'fired' as such, but have been shunted into scouting or whatever. Good news!

6 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

What I am trying to say is: you can hire the best assistants in the world, it won't matter until some significant changes will be made in the roster. Ducks is limited on talent, it's obvious, worse PP in the history of modern NHL is a perfect indication of it. Since I completely lost faith in this GM, the only hope is someone knowledgeable will take over next summer and we'll start seeing some REAL changes. 

You're right, of course. But it is pretty unusual to see any teams make major roster moves while the playoffs are still happening.

8 hours ago, nieder said:

You're right, of course. But it is pretty unusual to see any teams make major roster moves while the playoffs are still happening.

cue: giant Eichel trade lol

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

cue: giant Eichel trade lol

not to the Ducks, hopefully. 

Just curious, what would it take to lure Alexander Barkov from Florida?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

not to the Ducks, hopefully. 

Just curious, what would it take to lure Alexander Barkov from Florida?

Oh man, Barkov would be an incredible add.

Send Teemu to Florida to convince him to sign in Anaheim when his contract ends.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 3