Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Seems we are stuck with Bob

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Aksun said:

The Despres debacle was one of the bigger reasons the team went straight downhill the past 5 years. It's so awful.

the whole debacle as in his concussion issues? yeah, I agree...if he were healthy this D looks a lot different...

ugh, man, we had Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Montour, Vatanen, Despres, Theo at one point as what our future D was gonna look like...

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 10:29 PM, Jasoaks said:

the whole debacle as in his concussion issues? yeah, I agree...if he were healthy this D looks a lot different...

ugh, man, we had Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Montour, Vatanen, Despres, Theo at one point as what our future D was gonna look like...

Ducks were set till VGK exp Draft.....What a Shame Ducks did not get Draft Pick from Magentos rather they should.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 6:29 PM, Jasoaks said:

the whole debacle as in his concussion issues? yeah, I agree...if he were healthy this D looks a lot different...

ugh, man, we had Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Montour, Vatanen, Despres, Theo at one point as what our future D was gonna look like...

Murray really eff’d this team up. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Murray really eff’d this team up. 

More like his miscalucating in improving our Ducks has really not be good for our team.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2021 at 7:00 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

 

Silvain Lefebvre has been hired away from the Gulls to be an assistant to Brad Larsen in Columbus. So both Gulls assistants (Urquhart and Lefebvre) are now moving on. Wonder if those open spots are for Wilford and Morrison. 

I've also seen rumors that Dineen might have offers on the table for an assistant coaching role at the NHL level, which I assume he would jump at now that Geoff Ward is on the Ducks' staff and presumably moves ahead of him in the succession line as heir to the HC job when Eakins bombs out again. So maybe a complete shake-up in San Diego this summer? Would have been nice if Bob had just demoted the whole Ducks staff back to San Diego and brought in an entirely new staff for the Big Club. In fact, I'd love to see that as a new organizational policy... a Euro soccer-style relegation system - but for coaches - where if your coaching staff guides the team to a bottom-3 finish, the whole staff gets relegated to the AHL team. :lol:

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Silvain Lefebvre has been hired away from the Gulls to be an assistant to Brad Larsen in Columbus. So both Gulls assistants (Urquhart and Lefebvre) are now moving on. Wonder if those open spots are for Wilford and Morrison. 

I've also seen rumors that Dineen might have offers on the table for an assistant coaching role at the NHL level, which I assume he would jump at now that Geoff Ward is on the Ducks' staff and presumably moves ahead of him in the succession line as heir to the HC job when Eakins bombs out again. So maybe a complete shake-up in San Diego this summer? Would have been nice if Bob had just demoted the whole Ducks staff back to San Diego and brought in an entirely new staff for the Big Club. In fact, I'd love to see that as a new organizational policy... a Euro soccer-style relegation system - but for coaches - where if your coaching staff guides the team to a bottom-3 finish, the whole staff gets relegated to the AHL team. :lol:

oh...Dehydrated Donkey Dung...are we losing Dineen? That sounds like a huge blow..... Dineen seemed way more exciting to me than Ward...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Silvain Lefebvre has been hired away from the Gulls to be an assistant to Brad Larsen in Columbus. So both Gulls assistants (Urquhart and Lefebvre) are now moving on. Wonder if those open spots are for Wilford and Morrison. 

I've also seen rumors that Dineen might have offers on the table for an assistant coaching role at the NHL level, which I assume he would jump at now that Geoff Ward is on the Ducks' staff and presumably moves ahead of him in the succession line as heir to the HC job when Eakins bombs out again. So maybe a complete shake-up in San Diego this summer? Would have been nice if Bob had just demoted the whole Ducks staff back to San Diego and brought in an entirely new staff for the Big Club. In fact, I'd love to see that as a new organizational policy... a Euro soccer-style relegation system - but for coaches - where if your coaching staff guides the team to a bottom-3 finish, the whole staff gets relegated to the AHL team. :lol:

i can't both "like" and "sad" emoji the post using the reaction button, so i'll do that here.

:(

😁

i definitely get the FOMO feels when an NHL team hires away our AHL coaches.  i'd have to go back and look at past performance and history, but did BM just hire the Bieksas of NHL assistant coaches and let the Theodores of AHL assistant (and possibly head) coaches slip away?  i'm totally on record wanting to give Eakins a fairer chance this next season, but that was in a vacuum or assuming the counter-hires would be some bottom feeding NHL geriatric HCs, not some young blood that's shown performance enough that other organizations want to steal them away.... but then again, look at Toronto.

on Toronto - The Dangle Podcast guys recently mentioned that there were some behind the bench shenanigans this last season that they weren't going to talk about - couldn't get a read just based on that comment whether it was team shenanigans or off ice stuff, but do we have any indication at all what that's about?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worry if Jamie Drysdale is overestimated and turns into another Cam Fowler.

I keep hearing that "Drysdale is off the table" even though he hasn't proved anything in NHL. If we could get a proven sniper, someone of Patrick Laine statue in exchange for Drysdale, I would pull the trigger. As a long time Ducks fan I remember the stories about Oleg Tverdovsky, how great he is going to be and stuff like this. And guess what, Tverdovsky for Selanne turned out to be the best trade in the Ducks history.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

I worry if Jamie Drysdale is overestimated and turns into another Cam Fowler.

I keep hearing that "Drysdale is off the table" even though he hasn't proved anything in NHL. If we could get a proven sniper, someone of Patrick Laine statue in exchange for Drysdale, I would pull the trigger. As a long time Ducks fan I remember the stories about Oleg Tverdovsky, how great he is going to be and stuff like this. And guess what, Tverdovsky for Selanne turned out to be the best trade in the Ducks history.

😑🙄🤢🥺🤡

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

I worry if Jamie Drysdale is overestimated and turns into another Cam Fowler.

I keep hearing that "Drysdale is off the table" even though he hasn't proved anything in NHL. If we could get a proven sniper, someone of Patrick Laine statue in exchange for Drysdale, I would pull the trigger. As a long time Ducks fan I remember the stories about Oleg Tverdovsky, how great he is going to be and stuff like this. And guess what, Tverdovsky for Selanne turned out to be the best trade in the Ducks history.

Drysdale looks better than Fowler did. There's a confidence in Drysdale where I felt there was a timidness in Fowler. Drysdale feels like he belonged there...where I felt with Fowler it was like "oh wow! look at the potential!" Just remembering back to their first handfull of games.

A buddy of mine who worked with the ducks in 2014 back then after the playoffs told me there was a rumor going around that there might be a Fowler -> Weber trade. I mean, I'm a big Weber fan so I was stoked on the idea...although didn't think it were true. Seeing them trade Weber for PK later made me think it was true lol who knows what difference that would have brought.

Fowler had a great 2015/2017 playoffs where Weber didn't have much of a good playoffs till now...so I dunno.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I worry if Jamie Drysdale is overestimated and turns into another Cam Fowler.

I keep hearing that "Drysdale is off the table" even though he hasn't proved anything in NHL. If we could get a proven sniper, someone of Patrick Laine statue in exchange for Drysdale, I would pull the trigger. As a long time Ducks fan I remember the stories about Oleg Tverdovsky, how great he is going to be and stuff like this. And guess what, Tverdovsky for Selanne turned out to be the best trade in the Ducks history.

I Don't think it will be the case....imho Drysdale upside will continue....

DuckPride 4ever

MoseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Tverdovsky for Selanne turned out to be the best trade in the Ducks history.

agreed on this for sure.

But if I remember correctly...the Selanne trade was instrumented by PK. They played in an all-star game together and PK was like "I need a linemate....and the chemistry between Teemu and I is amazing" ...so there was also a little bit less of a risk involved. Your #1 star player requested to play with this other #1 star player...you make that happen. Like if Z speaks up and says "hey, get me Laine, we played so well together!" (or Kalyiev or Turccotte...or whoever).  You make that happen. And maybe it involves Drysdale.

But if that's not happening......

Also, on the "players influencing GMs" -- on that missing curfew podcast someone sent with Teemu on it...Teemu talked about how much he told Brian Burke to not break up the crew in 2007....that it was great. And that resulted in the Brad May trade...a minor trade. Unfortunately it involved Shane OB who was also on that podcast haha Part of that sounded like Teemu trying to make SOB feel better :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

agreed on this for sure.

But if I remember correctly...the Selanne trade was instrumented by PK. They played in an all-star game together and PK was like "I need a linemate....and the chemistry between Teemu and I is amazing" ...so there was also a little bit less of a risk involved. Your #1 star player requested to play with this other #1 star player...you make that happen. Like if Z speaks up and says "hey, get me Laine, we played so well together!" (or Kalyiev or Turccotte...or whoever).  You make that happen. And maybe it involves Drysdale.

But if that's not happening......

Also, on the "players influencing GMs" -- on that missing curfew podcast someone sent with Teemu on it...Teemu talked about how much he told Brian Burke to not break up the crew in 2007....that it was great. And that resulted in the Brad May trade...a minor trade. Unfortunately it involved Shane OB who was also on that podcast haha Part of that sounded like Teemu trying to make SOB feel better :P

IMHO Selanne Trade help in PK's Development as Player....and made him the player who he is as well as Developing a Friendship that last.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2021 at 8:33 AM, Jasoaks said:

Drysdale looks better than Fowler did. There's a confidence in Drysdale where I felt there was a timidness in Fowler. Drysdale feels like he belonged there...where I felt with Fowler it was like "oh wow! look at the potential!" Just remembering back to their first handfull of games.

A buddy of mine who worked with the ducks in 2014 back then after the playoffs told me there was a rumor going around that there might be a Fowler -> Weber trade. I mean, I'm a big Weber fan so I was stoked on the idea...although didn't think it were true. Seeing them trade Weber for PK later made me think it was true lol who knows what difference that would have brought.

Fowler had a great 2015/2017 playoffs where Weber didn't have much of a good playoffs till now...so I dunno.

Fowler oozed confidence until Doan broke his jaw. I will not stand for this revisionist Fowler slander! Lol. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Fowler oozed confidence until Doan broke his jaw. I will not stand for this revisionist Fowler slander! Lol. 

i don't know if he OOZED confidence lol but maybe confidence wasn't the right word for me. Maybe.....swagger? Cockiness? Arrogance? haha i don't know if those are the words either. I don't know, passion? Energy?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not at all anti-Fowler. I'm stoked we've had him and think he's been really good when he has the right partner and does a lot of good that people don't always give him credit for. I just don't remember feeling as excited about him as I do about Drysdale right now. Doesn't mean I don't like Fowler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

i don't know if he OOZED confidence lol but maybe confidence wasn't the right word for me. Maybe.....swagger? Cockiness? Arrogance? haha i don't know if those are the words either. I don't know, passion? Energy?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not at all anti-Fowler. I'm stoked we've had him and think he's been really good when he has the right partner and does a lot of good that people don't always give him credit for. I just don't remember feeling as excited about him as I do about Drysdale right now. Doesn't mean I don't like Fowler.

I’m just defensive of him haha. Gets way to much hate around here. I think Drysdale is going to be a pretty similar player. I think we desperately need to give him better partners than Lilja, Bryan Allen, Gudbranson, etc. I would really like to see Fowler - Drysdale. I think Colorado is showing you don’t need conventional D pairings. That’s a lot of mobility, smarts, and puck loving moving ability. They can both play responsibly in their own zone as well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly, he went coast to coast a few times going through the whole opposing team. He was pretty fun to watch but I feel like Drysdale has been more exciting. Maybe it's just that we haven't had much to cheer for lately... hopefully he keeps developing and becomes a really great player for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m just defensive of him haha. Gets way to much hate around here. I think Drysdale is going to be a pretty similar player. I think we desperately need to give him better partners than Lilja, Bryan Allen, Gudbranson, etc. I would really like to see Fowler - Drysdale. I think Colorado is showing you don’t need conventional D pairings. That’s a lot of mobility, smarts, and puck loving moving ability. They can both play responsibly in their own zone as well. 

I'd like to see that. On paper it seems like a really good pairing but with Fowler you never know. Maybe Lindholm-drysdale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I'd like to see that. On paper it seems like a really good pairing but with Fowler you never know. Maybe Lindholm-drysdale?

I don’t think Fowler has ever been the issue when it comes to d- pairings. I’m tired of Murray icing pylons and pairing them with good defensemen. I would love to see this team embrace the Colorado method of ice and acquire good players. At the very least it leads to a fun on ice product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t think Fowler has ever been the issue when it comes to d- pairings. I’m tired of Murray icing pylons and pairing them with good defensemen. I would love to see this team embrace the Colorado method of ice and acquire good players. At the very least it leads to a fun on ice product. 

it does...although...watching Tampa...that's what I'd love to have haha

I mean, they've got a Vezina winner, Norris winner, Hart winner, Art Ross winner, Rocket Richard winner...and their Vezina/Norris winners are constantly top whatever in voting....how did they get that? It's not entirely drafting well considering Vas, Hedman, Stamkos were all top half 1st rounders...and Kucherov was late 2nd rounder...so I guess a bit later.

Obviously their depth signings/trades/drafts have really panned out, too. But they aren't winning this cup without some combo of Vas, Stamkos, Kuch, or Hedman.

Also I cannot believe Vas is 26!!!! ....geez....maybe Walstedt isn't the worse to go after haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO Fowler looked better than Drysdale in his first season. The timidness didn't become an issue until dirtbag Doan boarded him after getting undressed (and even then, it wasn't that big of an issue until a couple of years later when Stoll purposely drove his face into the dasher from behind as Fowler was falling.. one of the dirtiest things I've ever seen in this sport but somehow Cogliano is the only guy to get suspended from those old Ducks-Kings battles.)

Rookie Fowler could be a bit of a nightmare in his own zone though. I remember him being one of the first real targets of advanced stats bloggers as they began to take off because of how awful his corsi was. That said, he still put up 40 points while being paired with lords of the giveaway like Lilja or Sutton on a team whose entire system was based on willfully surrendering possession on every entry. It wasn't exactly the sunniest situation to get thrown head first into. The Ducks don't make the playoffs without him that year. He should've won the Calder really.

Edit: scratch that last statement. Don't know why but I thought Shattenkirk won it that year lol.

Edited by PetrSykora

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well with word coming out Ducks maybe backing away from Eichel...anyone see Bob switching to Plan B?. Eitherway our Ducks have summer to set things right.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Well with word coming out Ducks maybe backing away from Eichel...anyone see Bob switching to Plan B?. Eitherway our Ducks have summer to set things right.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Personally I think Plan B is draft well and continue on course. Also I haven’t seen anything that we’re out, just that we’re not giving Buffalo what they want, so Murray is being smart, not budging on Z and Drysdale. I really think a lot of it is Eichel’s medical situation. I’m sure the Ducks are saying, “I’m not giving you what you’re asking for if he’s in a neck brace.” 
 

im not seeing much the Ducks can do this offseason. Eichel is kind of the big thing, I don’t see us being in on Jones, nor do I think we should be. I was thinking we should sign Danault this offseason, but he’s played himself into a massive overpayment this offseason. Some interesting 27-28 year old blue liners. Murray, Oleksiak, Reilly. I’m not sure, if you don’t land Eichel, I think you should be looking to move Manson/Rakell/Silfverberg/Henrique for futures. 

Edited by Sexlaf15
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Personally I think Plan B is draft well and continue on course. Also I haven’t seen anything that we’re out, just that we’re not giving Buffalo what they want, so Murray is being smart, not budging on Z and Drysdale. I really think a lot of it is Eichel’s medical situation. I’m sure the Ducks are saying, “I’m not giving you what you’re asking for if he’s in a neck brace.” 
 

im not seeing much the Ducks can do this offseason. Eichel is kind of the big thing, I don’t see us being in on Jones, nor do I think we should be. I was thinking we should sign Danault this offseason, but he’s played himself into a massive overpayment this offseason. Some interesting 27-28 year old blue liners. Murray, Oleksiak, Reilly. I’m not sure, if you don’t land Eichel, I think you should be looking to move Manson/Rakell/Silfverberg/Henrique for futures. 

Futures?.....I rather focus on getting some Players that can contribute to our Ducks Right off the Quack.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newell Brown back in (again) as a Ducks assistant coach. Wonder who runs the PP this season, Brown or Ward? Can't wait to see them fighting over the clipboard like my kids fight over the TV remote... :lol:

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 7:24 PM, Sexlaf15 said:

Personally I think Plan B is draft well and continue on course. Also I haven’t seen anything that we’re out, just that we’re not giving Buffalo what they want, so Murray is being smart, not budging on Z and Drysdale. I really think a lot of it is Eichel’s medical situation. I’m sure the Ducks are saying, “I’m not giving you what you’re asking for if he’s in a neck brace.” 
 

im not seeing much the Ducks can do this offseason. Eichel is kind of the big thing, I don’t see us being in on Jones, nor do I think we should be. I was thinking we should sign Danault this offseason, but he’s played himself into a massive overpayment this offseason. Some interesting 27-28 year old blue liners. Murray, Oleksiak, Reilly. I’m not sure, if you don’t land Eichel, I think you should be looking to move Manson/Rakell/Silfverberg/Henrique for futures. 

Bingo  Right on target

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Newell Brown back in (again) as a Ducks assistant coach. Wonder who runs the PP this season, Brown or Ward? Can't wait to see them fighting over the clipboard like my kids fight over the TV remote... :lol:

Is he any good?

how many assistants do they need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Newell Brown back in (again) as a Ducks assistant coach. Wonder who runs the PP this season, Brown or Ward? Can't wait to see them fighting over the clipboard like my kids fight over the TV remote... :lol:

Did he coach the PP on his last stint with us? I believe our best PP season was 2008-2009 and he was on the staff then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...