The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2021 Playoffs Catch All

17 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

This OT has been nuts

I swear if Devin Shore (quite possibly the most generic hockey player to ever wear our sweater) wins this for Edmonton, my remote is going through my television

haha yeah, he seems to have more energy than any of the jets lol

I just can't believe we are 5 periods in....and only one team has even touched 40 sogs....these goalies should be fine haha

How about those Jets? i gotta say I'm very surprised they beat the oilers, especially in 4. If the leafs make it, which they probably will, that might be a decent series. You always think about Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylander,... but Scheifele, Wheeler & Connor aren't bad either. Not to mention they got Dubois and Ehlers back the other night. Stastny and Perreault a bit further down the depth chart.

If Hellebuyck and the Jets D can keep it together I'm very curious to see what happens.

• Like 1

Seems pretty obvious that the Oilers sold their soul to win the McDavid lottery.   Did you notice how he did even bother to try and back check after the turnover that led to the winning goal?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Seems pretty obvious that the Oilers sold their soul to win the McDavid lottery.   Did you notice how he did even bother to try and back check after the turnover that led to the winning goal?

I'd guess he was a bit tired lol...i mean, every player out there (minus the goalies who should have felt super rested lol) looked so tired...the amount of mental mistakes or slow to react the entire 2OT was very prevalent lol back to  back OT games will do that to ya... you could almost make the same case about Kyle Connor not backchecking...and just stayed back...he got very lucky lol

They showed Draisitle on one knee after the goal...and I just could tell he was thinking "why am I still on this team..." 

Their big problem is they have so much money tied up in those top 2 forwards...their D falls off QUICK and they seem to have very little systems in place...which I wonder is a hold over from the Eakins days....since he had McDavid his first season. Maybe just habits that formed? ... (i actually don't think that's true, just trying to get a jab in on Eakins lol)

So, this is now 2 post seasons in a row of pretty mediocre/under-performances from the Caps, Oilers, and Blues....

Wonder if we see any of their coaches fired...I'd imagine Berube probably is safe. Laviolette probably is also safe as he was JUST hired. ...but Tippets...I dunno. He needs better players after McJesus and German-Gretzky. He was relying on NURSE to be their big TOI D leader.... ...NURSE.

Gretz leaving the Oilers organization... basically noping out... that might lead to some players leaving.  or, some coaches, managers... maybe ownership?

Jets vs. Leafs (yes, i know it's not for sure yet) is going to be pretty interesting.  right now?  i'm leaning Jets.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Jets vs. Leafs (yes, i know it's not for sure yet) is going to be pretty interesting.  right now?  i'm leaning Jets.

it's likely...I mean, the Jets got away with triple teaming McDavid 'cause there was no one else to be worried about on that line except for Leon who kept missing the net for some reason...and then their D just flat out is invisible and way over played their top-4...and just rewatching the goals in the Jets/Oil series...the Oilers truly just had no system. No assignments. Or if they did, no one abided by them on the goals. The game-tying goal in Game 4 was a turnover and then 3 Oilers going towards the puck leaving Ehlers WIDE open. I don't see that happening with the leafs... they have better D, more scoring threats, and seemingly have a system.

But I like Maurice as a coach. I bet they'll come up with a system that is different to implement against the Leafs. I definitely give the coaching edge to the Jets.

Mike Smith played very well. better than I would have thought. I don't like him, but he wasn't really the problem. Campbell looks pretty good so far. But curious to see if he can keep it up. Hellybuck I know can.

• Like 1

based on the regular season play, edge to Jets, especially with Tavares out.  i hope it's close, still probably rooting for Leafs, though Jets get some love for taking out the Oilers.

9 hours ago, Fisix said:

based on the regular season play, edge to Jets, especially with Tavares out.  i hope it's close, still probably rooting for Leafs, though Jets get some love for taking out the Oilers.

yeah, ya know...the more I look closer at the Jets...the more I like them. They've got some great forwards, finishers, they are BIG on D....and Hellybuck is a solid, solid goalie...and they have a great coach. I don't understand how they went like... 3-9-0 or whatever down the stretch lol but on paper (and at least in the first round) they look very good.

I'd still love to see at some point a Bruins v Avs series... I no longer want to see an Isles vs Leafs series...i wanted that for the JT reason...but now...that would be too heartbreaking and not as enjoyable if the Isles win it 😕 

Jets v Knights would be a crazy series...Jets, Bruins, Lightning, Knights would be SUCH A GOOD final 4. Those are like the heavy weights of each division -- like they are probably the 4 best defensive teams...and still have LEGIT scoring threats.

Leafs, Avs, Canes would be great to have in the final 4, too as they probably are the top 3 in just pure goal scoring. Although part of me is still rooting for the Wild, Habs, and Cats :)

Will be entertaining regardless....just as long as the Predators and Penguins lose...........

Edited by Jasoaks

If Vegas makes it out of the West (which I am hoping against), I actually want to them to meet Florida for a Semis.  Watching that TB/FL series I keep wondering if each team is fielding 6 skaters all the time because the ice is so crowded with... I don't know... meat?

The two lineups are just so hefty, they really fill the camera angle, and I'd love to see that heft all over Vegas's length.

I'm hoping Montreal can push it to 7 where Tavares can make a healthy return so we can all go back to making jokes about the Islanders being more successful in Toronto's barn during the playoffs than the Leafs. Other than that, I'm all in on the Panthers to complete the comeback. 

I never thought I would be so angry at maroon.....

Also, Knight allowing the first shot in again! ......... poor guy :( 

Ilya Sorokin has now won his first 4 career playoff games. First goaltender to do that since J.S. Giguere in 2003.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Ilya Sorokin has now won his first 4 career playoff games. First goaltender to do that since J.S. Giguere in 2003.

wooooo!!!!

on the other hand...poor Knight....losing his first NHL game in an elimination game lol

Also these Lightning announcers are really bugging me.... they keep saying "Florida needs to score 4 goals in under 4 minutes!!" No no no no no they do not...they need(ed) to score 3.... ugh. It's like combining being a homer with just being flat out wrong about what you're saying...lol

Isn't this Vaisalevsky's like....3rd shutout in an elimination game? ....or am I thinking Lundquivst?

Edited by Jasoaks

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I never thought I would be so angry at maroon.....

Also, Knight allowing the first shot in again! ......... poor guy :( 

what did maroon do?

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

what did maroon do?

he scored (the gwg) haha he's also been a bit over the edge this series...but it's mostly 'cause he scored and I'm team Knight :P 

ohhhh Talbot finally getting a goalie interference call go his way....... :P

Also, this is looking like shades of 2019 for Vegas.......

Oh man, Vegas' tying goal disallowed and Minnesota scores on the ensuing powerplay. Definitely did not have this series going 7 but kudos to the Wild, especially after they stole game 5 in spite of getting dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Oh man, Vegas' tying goal disallowed and Minnesota scores on the ensuing powerplay. Definitely did not have this series going 7 but kudos to the Wild, especially after they stole game 5 in spite of getting dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. 

That was a terrible call. Goal should have counted.  Vegas getting screwed again by the refs in the playoffs.

This has been a vintage Fleury series. Great start, shaky middle, straight up swimming without a lifejacket these last two starts. Watch him get a 40 save shutout next game just for the hell of it.

I think it's kind of amazing that tomorrow the Canadian division could be the 2nd division done lol