The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2021 Playoffs Catch All

This is officially too funny 😁
I don't have issues with toronto per se but I was reading a lot of facebook comments the past weeks (I know 😛 )and their fans are so cocky. If you haven't won since 1967 or didn't advance past the 1st round since 2004 you should be a little modest. But no they couldn't get over how bad Carey Price was playing and how amazing Matthews was. Not to mention their genius GM dubas who finally added much needed toughness. They are so proud of how they can fit all their contracts under the cap and so on. They needed a whooping. Sucks for JT though. Having said that losing him and muzzin isn't an excuse. I guess you can buy talent, heart not so much.

This is great and well deserved for the Habs. I'm glad for Perry who really plays a role on that team. He's not just a passenger. Congrats to the canadiens although I fear round 2 is the end of the ride for them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Just did a quick look....

The leafs are 0-10 since the semi-finals in the 2004 playoffs in elimination games (where either them or the other team wins to win the series). The last one they won was the first round of 2004. Basically saying since 2004, when they last won a series, they have never been able to win a series NOR been able to extend a series if they faced elimination.

That's crazy!

oh man i was WAY off haha....don't try to do stats in your head late at night lol

it's actually more like 5-7......but they are still winless when THEY can close out a series since 2004 lol

22 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

That hit by Scheifele after the ENG was so violent and unnecessary yeesh

He has to be done for the playoffs. That was disgusting. Zero intent to play hockey. Purely wanted a pound of flesh. 

8 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

He has to be done for the playoffs. That was disgusting. Zero intent to play hockey. Purely wanted a pound of flesh. 

If that would be the case I think the jets are also done. I really wasn't expecting a habs win to be honest. 
Just saw the footage. What a punk move. Wouldn't mind to see him suspended for the rest of this round at least. 
Great job by Ehlers though who tried to keep everybody away from Evans.

Edited by DucksFan_08

22 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

4 games....geez...

14 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Great job by Ehlers though who tried to keep everybody away from Evans.

YES! saw that...that was a very classy move there.

Also finally saw the highlights and WOW did Perry take an elbow to the head on that goal with his great assist?????? And he's completely fine? Man...I mean, that's everything you need to know about what it takes to win in the playoffs....really wish we had a player like Perry who would make those incredible plays like that. And has his passion... Obviously, one that is younger and not taking up a spot like Perry was.

22 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I am rooting hard for the Avs in this series, so anything that ends with Vegas losing is good.  However, this is great hockey, so I'm not upset that we get at least one more game now.

Opposite here. MAF is one of my favorite non-Ducks in the league, and I still root for Theo and Wild Bill as former Ducks (Sherwood doesn’t move the needle for me at all). Vegas is also the better team all around. The only area where Colorado is better is on the PP, and I loathe the idea of a team advancing just because they were able to take better advantage of bad refereeing (like the call in OT in game 2). I’ve gotten over the unfair expansion draft rules from four years ago too, and I marvel what they’ve done to reshape their team by adding stars like Patches, Stone, and Pietrangelo. If GMBM and Eakins are still here after next season, I might even request a trade to another fan base. VGK is on the four-team trade list they gave me when they re-upped Fowler. :P

7 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Oh man, I couldn't disagree more.  I think Colorado is the better team, and I like their players so much better.  The MacKinnon - Landeskog - Rantanen line is so incredibly fun to watch, and I love everyone the Avs have in their top 4 D.  Makar is probably my favorite defenseman in the league.

I don't care about Fleury at all.  He's fine.  I also don't care about Theodore or Karlsson.  They're not Ducks any more and didn't have any sort of a career here, so I have no reason to be attached to them, other than to complain that our GM let them go in his shortsightedness.  All they do is remind me of my own bitterness.  And Vegas is a division rival.  No thanks.  Go Avs.

Also, that call was a standard slashing call.  You see that call made every game.  You may not like it, but it's how they've been calling slashing for three or four years now. 

Wrong. What Reilly Smith did happens on nearly every face off when players tie up each other’s sticks, except this time Rantanen had one hand on his stick and just dropped it to embellish the play. There’s no chopping or swinging motion there at all. It’s just a tie up. The Avs players embellish plays like this all the time because they know their PP is so good. 

Vegas has also outplayed Colorado by a significant margin this series. Shots were 41-25 in game 2 and 43-20 in game 3. Colorado blew them up in game 1, but Vegas was coming off one day of rest after a game 7 while Colorado had a week off to rest at home, and the game was a mile above sea level. There’s a reason Lehner got that start and wasn’t pulled after giving up 7 goals. Game 1 was a throw away for Vegas. And Colorado only got game 2 because of their insane PP, the four posts hit by Vegas, and this weak call in OT...

Edited by dtsdlaw

I should add that the "division rival" doesn't move me much either. The Kings notwithstanding, the teams I've disliked the most over the years haven't been division foes. It's been Detroit, Nashville, and Chicago - i.e. teams that the Ducks have developed a history of nastiness with. Which is why I have much stronger negative feelings towards Colorado, because of stuff like this:

https://www.nhl.com/video/gabriel-landeskog-suspended-3-gms/t-277440360/c-42408203?tcid=tw_video_content_id

....which happened not long after this:

https://www.nhl.com/video/tyson-barrie-suspended-3-games/t-277350912/c-40404303

I still put a lot of the blame for Despres' career-ending concussions on the Avs for crap like that, and it affects how I view this current team. I also really hate the idea of watching Nazim Kadri skate the Cup. And btw, he'll be back just in time for Game 7 of this series (or Game 1/2 of the next series), so have fun rooting for that guy. I'm no fan of guys like Ryan Reaves either, but I have a special kind of loathing for Kadri. He's probably my least favorite player in the entire league.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Total clinic on how to beat the Aves tonight. 

MAF/Lehner won the Jennings for a reason. VGK plays incredible defense. 5-on-5 the Avs don’t stand a chance in this series. They need power plays.

• Like 1

What's interesting for me is seeing how Perry continues to score in meaningful games. He's being mentioned a lot as a key piece in their run. And he's still continuing to receive credit for the Stars playoff run last year. Wasn't one of the knocks on Pears while with our team was that he wasn't a big game player? I mean he scores but wasn't that one of the things said during the BB era? Or am I remembering things incorrectly? 

So if it was a knock on his game, has he kind of become that player that shows up big in the playoffs? I mean you listen to the praise he's getting and it's almost like 'if you want to go far in the playoffs you get him' kind of guy. Kind of like how Williams was mr game 7. Has Perry reached that point in his career where he's known as a playoff performer? 

If they get past the jets, and it looks like that's a lock (but you never know lol), and Perry helps get them to the finals I think he will be known as 'that playoff guy.'

What do you guys think? Because at this point it would be awesome for the Habs to win it all! 

7 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

What's interesting for me is seeing how Perry continues to score in meaningful games. He's being mentioned a lot as a key piece in their run. And he's still continuing to receive credit for the Stars playoff run last year. Wasn't one of the knocks on Pears while with our team was that he wasn't a big game player? I mean he scores but wasn't that one of the things said during the BB era? Or am I remembering things incorrectly? 

So if it was a knock on his game, has he kind of become that player that shows up big in the playoffs? I mean you listen to the praise he's getting and it's almost like 'if you want to go far in the playoffs you get him' kind of guy. Kind of like how Williams was mr game 7. Has Perry reached that point in his career where he's known as a playoff performer? 

If they get past the jets, and it looks like that's a lock (but you never know lol), and Perry helps get them to the finals I think he will be known as 'that playoff guy.'

What do you guys think? Because at this point it would be awesome for the Habs to win it all! 

I've always felt that we lived/died by Perry's production. He scored some really big goals in 2015....but basically couldn't bury ANYTHING in 2016....and scored some big goals again in 2017...I'd have to look but I think he went quiet in 2014 and 2013, too... while I understand but was sad about him being bought out...I don't think management or the players really understood just how much passion we lost in this team by doing it and I think it showed that first game without him. And I think that also is something he's bringing to this locker room in Montreal and they feel it. And he also has (the most?) experience winning in the playoffs for them.

Sorry, the Vegas fan base doesn't allow me to root for them.  They are arrogant, but at least they demonstrate a lack of fundamental knowledge of the game on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Perry is playing third line minutes.  He's getting to face lesser defenders and is only being relied upon to chip in a goal every now and again.  He's good enough to do that and is rightfully getting praised for it.  At the end of his career with the Ducks, we needed him to take tough, 1st line minutes and still produce at a 1st line pace.  He wasn't that player any more.  

Perry's in the right situation for him at this stage of his career and good for him for making the most of it.  

this.  100%.  add to that, he's currently getting paid (by his current team) a 3rd or 4th line forward's salary, and we needed to minimize our costs going forward through the rebuild.  we didn't have a lot of choice about whose contract it would be.  it's not like we were going to be in a position to take advantage of what he has left in the tank, not like Dallas and Montreal have.  

8 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Perry is playing third line minutes.  He's getting to face lesser defenders and is only being relied upon to chip in a goal every now and again.  He's good enough to do that and is rightfully getting praised for it.  At the end of his career with the Ducks, we needed him to take tough, 1st line minutes and still produce at a 1st line pace.  He wasn't that player any more.  

Perry's in the right situation for him at this stage of his career and good for him for making the most of it.  

Agree with everything especially the bolded. We didn't have anyone transition into top line players which was one thing we've talked about before even the Perry buyout and Getzy as well. We're only now finally being able to see our future. 

I understand his role but you could also look at a lot of other players around the league who were really good in their prime and on the tail end of their careers who became 3rd and 4th line players who didn't earn a rep like Pears. He seemed to thrive again with less pressure I think. He's not mvp level but you could argue he's been one of the catalysts for the Habs and the Stars in their runs. 

But I agree, he was never going to be that guy for this team at this stage. His contract was too expensive for the production he brought. And like you said, because his contract was so high he had to play top line minutes. A shame our transition couldn't have happened sooner. Looking at Getzy and his production he should honestly be in the same position as Perry to succeed. 

• Like 1

plus, it seemed to take a while before Perry sort of got back into a groove after his knee surgery.  maybe it was the reduced TOI, but it seemed like more than that.  

i will add that for whatever reason, the Ducks Organization doesn't seem to have a great injury rehab success rate, not since Teemu (did he have his knee surgery in SoCal?).

Corey Perry is now 8-0 vs Winnipeg in the playoffs 

Where's that Lavar Ball "NEVER LOST" soundbite when you need it

• Like 2

Crazy, but I'm happy for Perry. He had a nice exchange with Perreault during the handshake. You could tell they're still good friends.

• Like 1

Perry the wily Playoff veteran. Now I wonder if MTL has the horses to run with either VGK or COL.

it's been said previously but the Tampa goalkeeper is total MONEY in elimination games!  Another shutout!  All I can say is WOW.

Get him and never let him go.

8 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

it's been said previously but the Tampa goalkeeper is total MONEY in elimination games!  Another shutout!  All I can say is WOW.

Get him and never let him go.

His 8 year extension with Tampa Bay kicks in next year.