The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2021 Playoffs Catch All

now REALLY hoping for boston to beat the NYI....I don't know if NYI has what it takes to take out Tampa...

THAT was unexpected. 

and, that was after an almost unforgivable error by Fleury. 

Damn. Some decent post season games this season. 

Gotta hand it to the GK. They were outplayed for most of the game but gutted out the win. That Colorado goal t the end of the first was crazy.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, g20topdogg said:

What's interesting for me is seeing how Perry continues to score in meaningful games. He's being mentioned a lot as a key piece in their run. And he's still continuing to receive credit for the Stars playoff run last year. Wasn't one of the knocks on Pears while with our team was that he wasn't a big game player? I mean he scores but wasn't that one of the things said during the BB era? Or am I remembering things incorrectly? 

So if it was a knock on his game, has he kind of become that player that shows up big in the playoffs? I mean you listen to the praise he's getting and it's almost like 'if you want to go far in the playoffs you get him' kind of guy. Kind of like how Williams was mr game 7. Has Perry reached that point in his career where he's known as a playoff performer? 

If they get past the jets, and it looks like that's a lock (but you never know lol), and Perry helps get them to the finals I think he will be known as 'that playoff guy.'

What do you guys think? Because at this point it would be awesome for the Habs to win it all! 

I gotta say I was all Avs before the Playoffs started but the habs are impressing me. Perry playing for them is a bonus. I wouldn't mind them going all the way. I really thought they'd go out in 5 or something against the leafs. What a surprise that was. And then the sweep of the jets. Impressive. I can't see them getting past the avs or golden knights but who knows?

Perry has really become a role player. He has found good chemistry with Staal & Armia. It helps the habs can roll 4 lines and that he indeed doesn't have to face the best D pairings.  He's not afraid to go in the dirty areas and obviously he brings a lot of experience.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

:lol:

haha oh yes....that GK GM has got to be feeling preeetttty good about the moves he made...Vegas made some great moves and now their star players are producing! took them a little bit during the first series...but if their stars are producing...man they are basically as complete as Tampa

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

daaaaaamn.....Isles making a great case for what can be done by just a simple coaching change...

A coaching change?  What is that?  Aren't we just supposed to lose 80 percent of our games?  That's a good season right?  Ha Ha

I don't hate the Islanders (other than Trotz who stays forever $#*&-listed) but I just wish their fans would stop doing that Seven Nation Army chant every 45 seconds. At least Montreal waits until the game is in the bag before they bust out the Olé chant.

Now that Boston is out and my dream of perfection line vs. perfection line west is impossible...i guess ill go back to rooting for the team I thought was gonna win it all haha 

go vegas!...although go Avs right now so we can get a game 7 with these teams!!

Part of me wants the Habs to win against Vegas if only to give Perry a chance at another cup. If Perry wasn't on that team I'd be routing for Vegas 100%. I'm a long time Tampa fan but part of me would like to see the Isles get to the finals.

Edited by Shadowduck
  • Like 1

Really hoping for a Habs v Isles finals....just want to see Perry get another cup (also would love to see Weber/Price get one, too). And I really am rooting against Tampa just for the fact of not wanting them to repeat lol

No idea what to expect with the Vegas Habs series...Vegas looks to be firing on all cylinders but they have been known to suddenly go dry...so...

but if they keep it up...I just don't see how the Habs can penetrate enough scoring vs vegas

As much as I can't stand Montreal for all the pain they caused in my younger days, I hope they can figure out a way to defeat the VGK.  I could care less about the former ducks on the team - that is a rigged deal from the start.  Other than the part where they don't have to give up any players in the ED, they get away with murder from the league in lots of ways by biased officiating (they get away with cross checking and interference constantly) and reaves only got 2 games for his assault of that player while the Winnipeg player got 4 games which essentially killed their chances of winning.  I thought the AVS were tentative and had SO many shots blocked - it was like watching the ducks play.  And the goalkeeping was simply terrible - in game 6 second period, they had 4 shots on goal and I think 2 were goals.  He was out of position.  Better play there means the Avs would be still in it. I too don't see where the goals are going to come from but I guess we never know these things until we do...

What sport has a brand new team challenging for the Stanley cup in their 1st 3 years of existence without help??  They already have a cup final appearance - in their first year for heaven's sake.  Now another deep run in the playoffs.  It ain't right.

• Like 1

Then there were Four....NHL's Final Four...Even Though I don't make Predictions I am interested to see who will come out on top in NHL Semifinals. Winner of Magentos-habs SemiFinals vs Tampa-Long Island Semifinals I am sure both will be ready to fight for the Stanley Cup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Tampa v Vegas is the heavy weight matchup everyone wants to see. A Montreal v Tampa is the correct underdog story as the habs I'd say are more "underdog" than the Isles.

The whole Tampa cap thing I'm torn on....while htey've done nothing "illegal" it's a bit unfair. But also other teams could have done the same...and you could make the argument that the lightning went without Stamkos and Kucherov for basically the entire season and that was putting them at risk at not making the playoffs....and I'd say to that there was no risk of them not making the playoffs lol 

On 6/10/2021 at 6:50 AM, Jasoaks said:

daaaaaamn.....Isles making a great case for what can be done by just a simple coaching change...

Plus the coming of age of a few players lke Barzal, plus the addition of Varlamov, Palmieri and Zajac, others.

Although, their Sebastian Aho isn't as good as Carolina's...

49 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Tampa v Vegas is the heavy weight matchup everyone wants to see. A Montreal v Tampa is the correct underdog story as the habs I'd say are more "underdog" than the Isles.

The whole Tampa cap thing I'm torn on....while htey've done nothing "illegal" it's a bit unfair. But also other teams could have done the same...and you could make the argument that the lightning went without Stamkos and Kucherov for basically the entire season and that was putting them at risk at not making the playoffs....and I'd say to that there was no risk of them not making the playoffs lol 

At the very least, Vegas has ZERO room to complain about Tampa's cap given their expansion handout.

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Really hoping for a Habs v Isles finals

This would be hilarious and I'm sure the odds are pretty long. Most people are predicting/want the Vegas v Tampa match up I'm sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hoxxey said:

As much as I can't stand Montreal for all the pain they caused in my younger days, I hope they can figure out a way to defeat the VGK.  I could care less about the former ducks on the team - that is a rigged deal from the start.  Other than the part where they don't have to give up any players in the ED, they get away with murder from the league in lots of ways by biased officiating (they get away with cross checking and interference constantly) and reaves only got 2 games for his assault of that player while the Winnipeg player got 4 games which essentially killed their chances of winning.  I thought the AVS were tentative and had SO many shots blocked - it was like watching the ducks play.  And the goalkeeping was simply terrible - in game 6 second period, they had 4 shots on goal and I think 2 were goals.  He was out of position.  Better play there means the Avs would be still in it. I too don't see where the goals are going to come from but I guess we never know these things until we do...

What sport has a brand new team challenging for the Stanley cup in their 1st 3 years of existence without help??  They already have a cup final appearance - in their first year for heaven's sake.  Now another deep run in the playoffs.  It ain't right.

This is the NHL. The St Louis Blues made the Cup Finals in their first three years of existence. The Islanders made 3 straight semifinals (equivalent to the Conference Finals back then) starting in their 3rd year of existence and actually made it to at least the third round in 8 of their first 12 seasons (which included 5 Cup Finals appearances and 4 Cups). The Panthers made the Cup Finals in their 3rd year. The Oilers made the Cup Finals in their 4th year of existence, which was their first in a run of six Cup Finals appearances in eight years. And how about the Avs winning the Cup in their very first season after moving from Quebec? This isn't new. If this bothers you, you've picked the wrong sport to follow.

3 hours ago, gotchabari said:

At the very least, Vegas has ZERO room to complain about Tampa's cap given their expansion handout.

They paid a $500 million expansion fee, which worked out to more than $16.5 million paid directly to each team. Not sure how you can call it a handout when they've paid that much money just to get in the club. And just like all teams around the league, the Ducks used that money to sign key players, including Fowler's 8yr/$52M contract that summer. Similarly, Seattle is paying $650 million to join the club, which works out to more than $21.5 million per team (Vegas doesn't get any expansion fees). Given how much money each team is getting in expansion fees, I think it's both fair and reasonable for Seattle to get some favorable expansion draft terms too. It's on the GMs of the 30 existing teams to make sure these newcomers aren't great right out of the box, and many of them failed last time around. Let's see how it goes this time. 

I'm also agnostic as to whether Tampa's cap situation is/was fair this season, although I'm admittedly still bitter about Chicago abusing the same rule with Patrick Kane's injury in 2015. Nonetheless, Vegas and Tampa are the two best teams in the NHL and it'd be great to see the two best teams duke it out in the Finals. Great hockey is great hockey.

can't we all agree that we'd hate to see Tampa make it further in the playoffs?

(you can agree, yet still want to see Vegas v. Tampa over Vegas v. Isles)

21 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Plus the coming of age of a few players lke Barzal, plus the addition of Varlamov, Palmieri and Zajac, others.

Although, their Sebastian Aho isn't as good as Carolina's...

Yeah, true, but Varlamov was inconsistent in Colorado and I feel he's benefiting from a great system in NY right now. Palmieri is showing up in the playoffs, true. Barzal probably woudl have continued this great progress. But to me it just seems to be a night/day difference when Trotz came on board. Other factors also working in, too.

20 hours ago, nieder said:

This would be hilarious and I'm sure the odds are pretty long. Most people are predicting/want the Vegas v Tampa match up I'm sure.

that would be a great series for sure!! But I just can't get on board with Tampa mostly for the repeat factor and a little bit due to the cap thing (even though they aren't the first team to do this, obviously lol) And really want to see Perry in the finals again!!

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

although I'm admittedly still bitter about Chicago abusing the same rule with Patrick Kane's injury in 2015

yeeeeep! same!.....to think we took them to 7 games....i...ugh. that was our 2nd year.... :( 

On 6/12/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jasoaks said:

that would be a great series for sure!! But I just can't get on board with Tampa mostly for the repeat factor and a little bit due to the cap thing (even though they aren't the first team to do this, obviously lol) And really want to see Perry in the finals again!!

I would love to see Tampa and Vegas miss the finals but it seems unlikely to have both underdogs win.

I'm cheering for the Montreal Perrys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, dtsdlaw said:

They paid a $500 million expansion fee, which worked out to more than $16.5 million paid directly to each team. Not sure how you can call it a handout when they've paid that much money just to get in the club. And just like all teams around the league, the Ducks used that money to sign key players, including Fowler's 8yr/$52M contract that summer. Similarly, Seattle is paying $650 million to join the club, which works out to more than $21.5 million per team (Vegas doesn't get any expansion fees). Given how much money each team is getting in expansion fees, I think it's both fair and reasonable for Seattle to get some favorable expansion draft terms too. It's on the GMs of the 30 existing teams to make sure these newcomers aren't great right out of the box, and many of them failed last time around. Let's see how it goes this time. 

The handout was not financial, it was draft-related.  Changing the rules after many have had made commitments base don old rules, leaving a lot of 2nd liners and good 3rd liners on the draft block.  Way different than previous EDs.

Plus some cap room, along with the ability to use some of the "spare" 2nd and 3rd liners to build up draft picks for trades later on for the likes of Stone, et al.

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

The handout was not financial, it was draft-related.  Changing the rules after many have had made commitments base don old rules, leaving a lot of 2nd liners and good 3rd liners on the draft block.  Way different than previous EDs.

Plus some cap room, along with the ability to use some of the "spare" 2nd and 3rd liners to build up draft picks for trades later on for the likes of Stone, et al.

The rules changed because the money changed. When the Ducks came into the league in 1993, they paid $25M to the Kings and slightly more than $1M to each of the other 23 NHL franchises ($50M total). That's a bit different than paying >$16M to each team (Vegas) or >$21M (Seattle). Vegas and Seattle have essentially bought more favorable terms by paying roughly 5-7x as much in real dollars to get in the league as the Ducks did when they came in. It's not a "handout" if you pay for it. And frankly, I'm not sure why people think it's unfair for Vegas and Seattle to get better ED terms than teams that paid 5-7 times less in real $$ than they have. Seattle will literally be paying the Ducks >$21 million this summer for the ability to select one of our redundant 3rd line forwards.

And if GMs weren't prepared for the 2017 ED, that's on them. The expansion process had been in motion since at least 2014 and it would seem pretty naïve for any GM at that time to think that the terms would have remained the same given how much money was expected to be paid for the new franchise, even in the early stages of the expansion process. They had to know the terms would be better significantly for Vegas than they were for Minnesota and Columbus 17 years earlier. So maybe these GMs shouldn't have been handing out NMCs or putting themselves in cap hell by handing out >$5M/season to the likes of Mikhail Grabovski and David Clarkson in the first place. The brilliance of VGK's expansion draft was not just in the useful 2nd and 3rd line players they collected. It was as much in the bad contracts they took on in exchange for assets. Taking on Stoner, Clarkson, Garrison, Grabovski, and even Fleury (they got a 2nd for taking MAF that they used to get Alec Martinez) was a major factor in where they are today. In prior EDs, I just don't think GMs had the foresight to make those types of deals. In that respect, what GM George McPhee did was remarkable.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2021 at 11:29 AM, dtsdlaw said:

The rules changed because the money changed. When the Ducks came into the league in 1993, they paid $25M to the Kings and slightly more than $1M to each of the other 23 NHL franchises ($50M total). That's a bit different than paying >$16M to each team (Vegas) or >$21M (Seattle). Vegas and Seattle have essentially bought more favorable terms by paying roughly 5-7x as much in real dollars to get in the league as the Ducks did when they came in.

But you're comparing a fee that occured 12 years prior to a $39M Cap to a fee that's occurring in an era where that cap doubled in 15 years.  

Both teams paid appropriate value at the time for what they were getting.  Vegas and Seattle are owed nothing extra just because the league is more successful now.

The "more favorable terms" they are getting is TV contracts, endorsements, higher ticket prices, and generally increased popularity.

It's a handout because they paid for the above, and then got the ED structure for free.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:29 AM, dtsdlaw said:

And if GMs weren't prepared for the 2017 ED, that's on them.

The protection structure wasn't in place up front.

And I agree with the good draft.  That was the main point of my post, in fact.  Other teams didn't have the luxury of picking up picks with all the extra players.