The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

I wanted to share the following information for Ducks fans to realize how bad last season was (I know you already know) but here is something to think about.

-Second fewest goals scored in the NHL this year (behind Buffalo) after being last in the league last year.

-Second to last with a -53 goal difference (behind Buffalo)

-Tied for last with only 11 Regulation wins (behind Buffalo)

-Tied for second to last place (with Columbus) for Regulation and Overtime Wins (15) (behind Buffalo)

-Last in the League in home wins (6) even Buffalo had (8)

-Last in the league with the player leading the team in points with the fewest points (33) total - Comtois

-Worst power play in the modern era 8.9% PP conversion

-I can see where Bob and Dallas are very optimistic about the group moving forward, 

-Ownership that invisible doing nothing to assure fans they want to win at any cost (Vegas comes to mind as they signed Petro last year and Florida does as they went out and spent big buck for Coach Q to lead them). NIce job Henry and Susan.

I was a first year season ticket holder thru 2002 before moving to Seattle, I don't see how Murray is the GM any longer and as far as Dallas, well his over the top emotion level behind the bench - NOT - is like watching paint dry.

• Like 1

it's called a rebuild for a reason.

Buff isn't even in a rebuild, that they've admitted to, and look where they are.  we aren't that.

the Kings are supposedly further along in their rebuild, but still not great.  they'll probably purchase their way to winning sooner than we will, but i still like our future prospects more.

take a look at Toronto's PP stats for the last... 30+ PPs of the season (and maybe add in the post season).  i think the Ducks season PP stats beat that, and look at the youth skill they have in TOR, and the cost.

for me, this season was a throw away from the beginning, but i saw some serious and real movement along the path of the rebuild towards future success, and all it cost us was a couple of regulation wins during the shortened covid season, a season where I, as a current season ticket holder, saw exactly one game in person (could have seen maybe 3-5 tops).  i'm fine with that trade, and i'm hopeful for the future (and i don't think i'm crazy to think we have a bright future in store for us, as Ducks fans).

The Ducks had better do something Big during the off-season beyond signing Getzlaf to a new contract.

If not, they shouldn't expect to get any new Season Seat Holders for 2021-22.  And the various promotional deals they offer aren't going to be enough to get people in the stands.  Except of course for those games where the opposing teams' fans pack the arena.

No people in the stands means no cars bringing parking revenue.  No attendees buying food, alcohol, let alone merchandise.  Anyone who has seen the prices at Honda Center, knows the gigantic profit margins being achieved.

It hurts because it gives ownership even less incentive to go get a high quality Free Agent who doesn't come cheap.  Unfortunately it's going to take more than 1 UFA to turn this team around.  Which is why I'm not happy that it appears BM is going to set the course for the 2021-22 roster.  I can't help but see more of the same that we've had the past several years.

11 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Except of course for those games where the opposing teams' fans pack the arena.

to be fair, this happens almost every home game.  SoCal is the land of displaced sports fans.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, Fisix said:

to be fair, this happens almost every home game.  SoCal is the land of displaced sports fans.

True, but it's far more lopsided when there are practically no Ducks fans buying tickets, aside from the SS Holders.  So Cal fans are all into the bandwagon, and they don't pay money to show up when the team is sucking.

I don't know how long I can feel taken advantage of, paying for season seats, when I could pick and choose games on Stub Hub for prices of half the price I'm paying.

it only makes sense if you like your seats, the drinks, and the food.  i've made my way to seats i like, the drinks aren't great, and i've found food i can rely on being good.  plus, i drive by the Pond almost every day, so it's convenient.

even with all that, it's not financially efficient to purchase season tickets, just convenient, and you get some extra stuff that regular ticket purchasers typically can't get.  tvs are large and good, pay cable works.  you have to love watching live hockey, regardless of how well the team plays each night.

11 minutes ago, Fisix said:

it only makes sense if you like your seats, the drinks, and the food.  i've made my way to seats i like, the drinks aren't great, and i've found food i can rely on being good.  plus, i drive by the Pond almost every day, so it's convenient.

even with all that, it's not financially efficient to purchase season tickets, just convenient, and you get some extra stuff that regular ticket purchasers typically can't get.  tvs are large and good, pay cable works.  you have to love watching live hockey, regardless of how well the team plays each night.

there's also VR....I've watched a few games in my VR headset and you can make the "tv" HUUUUGE ...and if they start actually shooting VR for games regularly (they've done some already)...that would be a big deal 'cause they can make that feel like you're actually there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

True, but it's far more lopsided when there are practically no Ducks fans buying tickets, aside from the SS Holders.  So Cal fans are all into the bandwagon, and they don't pay money to show up when the team is sucking.

I don't know how long I can feel taken advantage of, paying for season seats, when I could pick and choose games on Stub Hub for prices of half the price I'm paying.

That's why it's called being a "fan." Having had seats since day 1,  I understand there's going to be "growing pains" along the way. I understand there's going to be down periods. Happens to EVERY team. As Fisix said, love my seats (which would be gobbled up in a heartbeat if I dropped them), found decent food, and made great friends over the years. Nothing like live hockey imo. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dukitup said:

That's why it's called being a "fan." Having had seats since day 1,  I understand there's going to be "growing pains" along the way. I understand there's going to be down periods. Happens to EVERY team. As Fisix said, love my seats (which would be gobbled up in a heartbeat if I dropped them), found decent food, and made great friends over the years. Nothing like live hockey imo. 

i should have mentioned this - we have a great relationship with a couple people in food staff (one of them changed his outward appearance quite a bit for the better over the pandemic and yelled hello at me when i missed him at the one game we went to this year - we had a good chat, and i'm glad we can expect to see him back once the regular season starts up again), the elevator staff, and the ushers we've had (who regularly protect our seats from scofflaws).  they treat us right, know the kids' names, know the wife's name... i've felt like it was a family even back when we were simply bogarting friends' box seats now and again (starting before we won the first cup).  i've had season tickets for shorter stints elsewhere, without being able to develop the same feeling.  the only thing that has come close was a school auction event we won - staples center the first Lakers game after Kobe's death (we won the auction months before the events occurred).  some kids had run through the restaurant section where our special seats were and grabbed all the commemorative t-shirts before we arrived, and one of the managers made sure to hand deliver some to us before the game was over.  it was a special night for a lot of people, but also very hectic, and his act of kindness felt VERY Pond-like.

it would be super expensive, but if the non-hockey acts that come through the Pond weren't largely the same every year, i could probably convince the wife and maybe a few friends to join a group-held box.  instead, we spend a bit on the seats to get what we (well, really I) want, and we almost always find free parking and spend the money on food/drinks instead.  parking is almost freely flowing, and the price isn't that steep, but they sort of made an enemy for life when they made clear that motorcycles have to pay full price to park, though we're encouraged to cram into non-parking spots or park multiple bikes per spot.  every other sports venue i've been to holds their hands over their eyes and lets MCs park for free as long as they don't take up a full space or bogart the nearest regular-sized slots.  

i will say that we were pretty excited when the sacramento kings made sounds like they'd move down to the Pond (a decade ago?) - we figured we could get a box and sell off the basketball seats for enough to get all the hockey games at a decently reduced price.  as you all know, that never happened, and none of the local colleges use it for NCAA basketball (UCLA did for a bit while Pauley was getting refurbed, which was awesome, but that didn't last long, and i think the NCAA tournament games just aren't played there often enough to develop a venue following).

sorry to blabber.

Edited by Fisix

On 5/27/2021 at 12:30 PM, dukitup said:

I agree Just can't wait to Return back to the Ponda.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck