The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2021-2022 NHL Season Catch-all

32 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

so Evander Kane‘s wife is accusing him of gambling on his own games….

oh wow......this is pretty bad.

man I can't imagine what they are dealing with...I do not like Kane at all as a person or player...but he's really had to go through some Dehydrated Donkey Dung recently.

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

so Evander Kane‘s wife is accusing him of gambling on his own games….

NHL Opens Investigation Into Evander Kane Gambling Allegations

JULY 31, 2021 AT 5:48 PM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE

Earlier today, allegations were made on social media by Evander Kane’s wife Anna Kane that suggested the San Jose Sharks forward had placed wagers on NHL games he took part in. The claims have not been proven to be true, but the league has opened an investigation into the matter. A statement from the league reads:

The League was made aware this evening of a post on social media alleging that San Jose Sharks Player Evander Kane bet on NHL games. The integrity of our game is paramount and the League takes these allegations very seriously. We intend to conduct a full investigation and will have no further comment at this time.

The Sharks have also released a statement:

The San Jose Sharks have been in contact today with the NHL about the serious allegations made against Evander Kane.  We support a full and transparent investigation into the situation to maintain the integrity of the game and consistency with our team values.

The fact that this was all aired out publicly by his wife on social media in response to his infidelity kind of makes me think it's exaggerated. Especially since she said something about how he said his friends would kill him if he didn't gamble. I don't know. Still, pretty interesting how the NHL is trying to quickly tackle this situation head-on instead of their usual policy of sweeping things under the rug (see: Chicago's ongoing abuse scandal, Montreal drafting a sex offender, etc.)

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

The fact that this was all aired out publicly by his wife on social media in response to his infidelity kind of makes me think it's exaggerated. Especially since she said something about how he said his friends would kill him if he didn't gamble. I don't know. Still, pretty interesting how the NHL is trying to quickly tackle this situation head-on instead of their usual policy of sweeping things under the rug (see: Chicago's ongoing abuse scandal, Montreal drafting a sex offender, etc.)

It could be a disgruntled wife but looking into is finances won't be hard for the NHL. Since she publicly made the accusations, I hope she has something to back them up. Infidelity isn't a crime but when you have a small child and a pregnant wife, it sure doesn't make him look good. 

13 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

It could be a disgruntled wife but looking into is finances won't be hard for the NHL. Since she publicly made the accusations, I hope she has something to back them up. Infidelity isn't a crime but when you have a small child and a pregnant wife, it sure doesn't make him look good. 

If I remember correctly, I think he recently (last year or so) declared bankruptcy.

5 hours ago, dukitup said:

If I remember correctly, I think he recently (last year or so) declared bankruptcy.

And he did so because he gambled away something like $30M of his wealth, and otherwise lost upwards of $50M. 

when you’re talking about gambling on that scale, and losing almost everything, the death threats and gambling on your own games stuff smells more than a little suspicious. 

I’m still surprised the league allowed him to continue to play. Massive gambling debts and professional sports players are the absolute worst combination. More of the league being derelict in how they police common sense in the league. 

Obviously none of us know him personally but given his past behaviour, I can buy him being an emotionally abusive loser to his wife. He also likely has a gambling problem because I have no idea how you can blow 50 million dollars in career earnings this fast without one. Betting on his own games though? Desperate times and all that, but he's fresh off the best season of his career. Either he's dumb enough to bet on himself and the sad Sharks, or he's the worst match fixer of all time. The main reason I'm skeptical of this all is because I don't understand what she gets from exposing this along with the death threats. It's entirely possible he used that as a manipulative cover to continue his destructive behaviour and she didn't really believe him. It's also entirely possible he was telling the honest truth considering the circles he allegedly runs with and how much money is at stake. Assuming this is all true, exposing this and potentially getting him kicked out of the league might have just dug his grave. What a mess.

Edited by PetrSykora

On 7/31/2021 at 12:12 PM, JiggyToTheCup said:

My son found this on reddit....  It would be funny, if it were not so true

This is going to sound like sour grapes from a Boston fan but I don't give a Dehydrated Donkey Dung.

Ritchie is one of the worst players I've seen in a Bruins sweater in a long time. He routinely made me question what it meant to be a Boston fan, he tested my patience and my ability to root for my boys on a routine basis.

I can excuse a lot, that's what sports fandom is, right? It's a place to be biased and petty and stupid in a safe little sandbox of biased petty stupidity. But suck me sideways Thick Dick Nick made it a chore. I can handle guys lacking talent but playing with heart, I can handle a lack of heart in crazy talented guys, I can handle the staggering room temperature milk mediocrity of guys like Lee Stempniak, but Thick Dick Nick is none of those things.

He plays the game like someone trying to egg you on into taking a swing at him. He skates with the urgency of an old lady shopping for canned beats, but with half the speed. His hockey IQ is on par with Brett Favre's. I'm assuming Brett Farve has never played hockey, correct me if I'm wrong. Nick constantly skates around like he's surprised he's at an NHL game and then glides back to the bench (probably from the penalty box for a stick infraction) with the dim look of Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Then he sits there like a melting chocolate Santa, with his hair inexplicably sticking up through the vent in his helmet, waiting to be surprised by his next turn to get on the ice.

Consider this: He scored 15 goals last year, found some dangerous ice as a PP scorer, and Bruins fans were debating if he would be a good 4th liner or not this year, because our 4th line was that fraking bad, and Ritchie was the only skater who could conceivably make it worse. He scored 15 goals for us and we weren't sure if he would be a good replacement for Chris fraking Wagner, the surly hobbit of the TD garden.

Nick Ritchie is a bigger contributor to the decline in cardiovascular health in Boston fans than smoking and obesity. He's the equivalent of a double bacon cheeseburger on your system. He is hockey diarrhea. The guy takes the stupidest retaliatory penalties you've ever seen. He is complete invisible until you need a momentum swing, goes "Got ya boss" and cross checks someone in the neck and bumbles off the ice like Abbott and/or Costello while simultaneously shrugging and bitching to the refs and the guy he blindsided.

I'm sure he's not a bad guy IRL, I don't mean for this to be a character assassination. I'm sure he has family and besides Brett they probably don't suck. This isn't about kicking a player on their way out; let the record reflect that every Boston fan has a few memories of cursing his name and that we started kicking him long before he was down. (See also the general well wishes for Kuraly upon his departure.)

Nick isn't a goon, he's a bad boyfriend. He'll score a couple of goals one week and you'll think he's turned a corner and then he'll hit on one of your friends and tell you to chill out because he's just being friendly. Don't buy the hype, be fraking aware.

I am ecstatic that Ritchie wasn't held onto as a sunk cost, and that Toronto signed him. There you go, that's your analysis.

This is so funny.  "Nick Ritchie is a bigger contributor to the decline in cardiovascular health in Boston fans than smoking and obesity."  

16 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

This is so funny.  "Nick Ritchie is a bigger contributor to the decline in cardiovascular health in Boston fans than smoking and obesity."  

which is a huge feat considering he's also a contributor to the INCREASE in one of those!

...too much?

Hearing the Oilers want to give Nurse $9m/year???? wow....oh....god wow....we should be worried about Lindholm's next contract if Nurse gets that...

• Haha 1

I remember being afraid back when McDavid was drafted that the Oilers were about to fail upwards into becoming the league's next era defining team. Now I'm just afraid they're straight up ruining the career of the most talented player I've seen in my lifetime. They don't deserve to have him on the Oilers. It's never going to happen but he should try Eichel-ing his way outta Edmonton. I can picture him in a Rangers sweater.

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

I remember being afraid back when McDavid was drafted that the Oilers were about to fail upwards into becoming the league's next era defining team. Now I'm just afraid they're straight up ruining the career of the most talented player I've seen in my lifetime. They don't deserve to have him on the Oilers. It's never going to happen but he should try Eichel-ing his way outta Edmonton. I can picture him in a Rangers sweater.

I agree...honestly, look at teams trading their superstar player and how they used it to really kickstart a good rebuild. I mean like, Ottawa, Colorado with Douchene....of course if we get Eichel...really hoping this breaks the mold haha but I've sort of been on the page of the Oilers would have been better keeping Petry and not winning the lotto in 2015. Even if they dropped to picking 6th in 2015...theyc ould have picked up Werenski. And probably have kept Hall. They could have had Petry/Weresnki with forwards like Hall, Eberle, Draisitle, Nugg.... theyd be looking a bit better IMO.

let's give the Oil gibson and see if they'll hand over Draisitle..... :D 

It’s pretty damn impressive the amount of effort he puts into hockey, including all the money he pays out of pocket. Most of the stuff in that tweet isn’t him being a giant a**hole, it’s the good aspect of a captain holding his teammates accountable and living up to the standard he asks of everyone else. I could do without the screaming and perhaps other ways he might be a jerk. Getting the team to ditch the crap food and switch to better alternatives is a no-brainer and it makes you wonder why they were there in the 1st place.

30 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nathan MacKinnon is apparently a giant a**hole in the room. Who knew?

this is awesome!! keep it up, Nate!

Looking forward to the Last Shift Netflix documentary series about McKinnon being a borderline sociopathic winner and locker room tyrant. Beats the inevitable Evander Kane vs Logan Paul boxing farce we're probably gonna get instead.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Nathan MacKinnon is apparently a giant a**hole in the room. Who knew?

Some of that stuff is harsh, but probably for the best (the food stuff).  Screaming at your teammates for missing a pass or not moving your stick for a slightly off pass seems beyond the pale to me.  He sounds a lot like Kobe Bryant, as well, who was revered for his work ethic and pushed his teammates incredibly hard.  

Personally, I think there are better ways to lift your team to greatness, but I'm not an elite athlete on a professional team, so take that for what it's worth (not much).  I'm not one for noticing celebrations, but the Avs always seemed more subdued to me, particularly the top line.  I wonder if it's because MacKinnon has made sure they're all business on the ice.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:26 PM, Spencer_12 said:

It’s pretty damn impressive the amount of effort he puts into hockey, including all the money he pays out of pocket. Most of the stuff in that tweet isn’t him being a giant a**hole, it’s the good aspect of a captain holding his teammates accountable and living up to the standard he asks of everyone else. I could do without the screaming and perhaps other ways he might be a jerk. Getting the team to ditch the crap food and switch to better alternatives is a no-brainer and it makes you wonder why they were there in the 1st place.

I would disagree with this. These are elite athletes and the best in the world at what they do. For MacKinnon to tell another elite athlete what they can or can't eat and drink during the season is the epitome of arrogance, not leadership IMO. I can understand why a lot of guys don't enjoy playing with him. Needless to say, I think we can be confident that we'll never see Ovechkin sharing a bench with Nate. https://www.bardown.com/matt-niskanen-shared-one-of-the-weirdest-parts-about-playing-with-ovechkin-1.1357737

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

For MacKinnon to tell another elite athlete what they can or can't eat and drink during the season is the epitome of arrogance, not leadership IMO.

I can't even imagine what MacKinnon was thinking seeing a team in the stanley cup finals with players eating pizza at the press conference.... :D :D 😂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I can't even imagine what MacKinnon was thinking seeing a team in the stanley cup finals with players eating pizza at the press conference.... :D :D 😂

oh wait...id guess it's similar to what he was thinking here...

GRR283.gif

• Haha 1

The King has retired. Sad to see...but completely understandable given his heart condition...great career! And just another reason to hate the Kings....they prevent Lundqvist from getting a cup!!

The pettiness of Carolina to offer sheet Kotkaniemi in retaliation for Montreal doing it for Aho is simply great. Does Montreal match a one-year 6.1 mil offer, which would be his QO next season or take the 1st and 3rd round picks??

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The pettiness of Carolina to offer sheet Kotkaniemi in retaliation for Montreal doing it for Aho is simply great. Does Montreal match a one-year 6.1 mil offer, which would be his QO next season or take the 1st and 3rd round picks??

the 1 year thing really is throwing me off. I don't get that. Like, I guess this would be the base for the next contract at minimum....but I dunno...i don't see why any team would want Kotkaniemi for 1 year at $6.1

ohhh i just saw there was a $20 signing bonus...not $2k....not $20k....not $200k....not $2mil...... twenty....dollars....which so happens to be the number of Aho....that can't be a coincidence lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn't look like either team can afford the 6.1M contract without going over the cap. Maybe this is a set up for an even bigger trade?

37 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

It doesn't look like either team can afford the 6.1M contract without going over the cap. Maybe this is a set up for an even bigger trade?

It's just funny that a) both are Finnish players and b) Carolina is offer sheeting Kotkaniemi who is nowhere close to the stud that Aho is. At least Montreal went after a really good player.

32 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It's just funny that a) both are Finnish players and b) Carolina is offer sheeting Kotkaniemi who is nowhere close to the stud that Aho is. At least Montreal went after a really good player.

Aho was definitely one of the biggest steals in recent history. Looking back at the rankings, Central Scouting had him at 18th for international players. Kirill Kaprizov was ranked even lower than Aho...lol.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Aho was definitely one of the biggest steals in recent history. Looking back at the rankings, Central Scouting had him at 18th for international players. Kirill Kaprizov was ranked even lower than Aho...lol.

I still think drafting Jacob Larsson eight spots ahead of Aho was clearly the better move!

Hope that Raty doesn't become the next Aho for the Islanders.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I still think drafting Jacob Larsson eight spots ahead of Aho was clearly the better move!

Hope that Raty doesn't become the next Aho for the Islanders.

It's just the irony of the draft. Unless you know you're getting a bonafide stud, draft picks can go any direction. It all boils down to development or the lack of development. Kotkaniemi was just thrown into the NHL right after the draft and I guess was expected to be the #1 C for the Habs. Larsson just hasn't lived up to what BM was expecting but there weren't too many options for D at that point in the draft. So the Ducks probably got the BAP defenseman and it happened to be a Swede.