The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2021-2022 NHL Season Catch-all

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

It's just the irony of the draft. Unless you know you're getting a bonafide stud, draft picks can go any direction. It all boils down to development or the lack of development. Kotkaniemi was just thrown into the NHL right after the draft and I guess was expected to be the #1 C for the Habs. Larsson just hasn't lived up to what BM was expecting but there weren't too many options for D at that point in the draft. So the Ducks probably got the BAP defenseman and it happened to be a Swede.

Why the focus on D at that 2015 draft though? IMO, it’s an even bigger miss because they had already drafted Fowler (12th, 2010), Lindholm (6th, 2012), Theodore (26th, 2013), Pettersson (38th, 2014), and Montour (55th, 2014). I get the idea that you want to go BPA in the late 1st round, but given how deep the LHD pool was at the time and how shallow the Ducks’ pipeline was at some of the forward positions (esp. center), seems like a huge shame they didn’t look at taking a forward there.

What still stings the most, though, is that Larsson is the pick Arizona wanted for Vermette. Oh how the lives of Ducks fans are different if Bob gives up that pick and we get Vermette instead of Chicago in 2015…. [sigh].

KK could have been a very interesting target for the Ducks this summer. Rumor was he was really ticked that he was scratched in the Cup Finals and wanted out of Montreal. Can’t help but wonder if Bob could have gotten him from his old friend Bergevin for a great price, if they’d just moved quicker on it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

if they’d just moved quicker on it.

why do i have the feeling this is gonna end up being the theme for the off season.....

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Why the focus on D at that 2015 draft though? IMO, it’s an even bigger miss because they had already drafted Fowler (12th, 2010), Lindholm (6th, 2012), Theodore (26th, 2013), Pettersson (38th, 2014), and Montour (55th, 2014). I get the idea that you want to go BPA in the late 1st round, but given how deep the LHD pool was at the time and how shallow the Ducks’ pipeline was at some of the forward positions (esp. center), seems like a huge shame they didn’t look at taking a forward there.

What still stings the most, though, is that Larsson is the pick Arizona wanted for Vermette. Oh how the lives of Ducks fans are different if Bob gives up that pick and we get Vermette instead of Chicago in 2015…. [sigh].

KK could have been a very interesting target for the Ducks this summer. Rumor was he was really ticked that he was scratched in the Cup Finals and wanted out of Montreal. Can’t help but wonder if Bob could have gotten him from his old friend Bergevin for a great price, if they’d just moved quicker on it.

Only Bob knows why he wanted Larsson. I remember that either BM or the pundits said he was the next Lindholm so that looks to be the reason why he was drafted. I wasn't much into drafts back then and didn't really have much of an opinion of who the Ducks should have picked in 2015. If BM would have picked Aho at 27th I'm sure many pundits and fans would have questioned his sanity.

The Ducks could probably still get KK if nothing is going on with Eichel. Remember the Canes wanting Gibby? I don't know what a trade like that would all include but the Canes need to shed some salary anyway or bury someone in the AHL.

16 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Only Bob knows why he wanted Larsson. I remember that either BM or the pundits said he was the next Lindholm so that looks to be the reason why he was drafted. I wasn't much into drafts back then and didn't really have much of an opinion of who the Ducks should have picked in 2015. If BM would have picked Aho at 27th I'm sure many pundits and fans would have questioned his sanity.

The Ducks could probably still get KK if nothing is going on with Eichel. Remember the Canes wanting Gibby? I don't know what a trade like that would all include but the Canes need to shed some salary anyway or bury someone in the AHL.

I don't want KK at $6M though. The only way I'd chase him now is if Carolina turns around and re-signs him for a long-term contract at a lower price (which has been rumored as a possibility). But even then, we'd have to give Carolina more than what they gave up in compensation for the offer sheet, which is a 1st and a 3rd. I don't want the Ducks to give up a 1st in either of the next two drafts unless the guy we're getting back is named Eichel.

That said, if Carolina pulls off the offer sheet, GMBM should be on the phone to Wadell to inquire what the price is for Ryan Suzuki because Carolina will be a bit overloaded at the C position.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The pettiness of Carolina to offer sheet Kotkaniemi in retaliation for Montreal doing it for Aho is simply great. Does Montreal match a one-year 6.1 mil offer, which would be his QO next season or take the 1st and 3rd round picks??

I absolutely love it. This has really juiced up the offseason.

Plus you get to read great, totally not salty, articles like this: 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/jack-todd-carolinas-offer-sheet-to-kotkaniemi-was-a-bush-league-move

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't want KK at $6M though. The only way I'd chase him now is if Carolina turns around and re-signs him for a long-term contract at a lower price (which has been rumored as a possibility). But even then, we'd have to give Carolina more than what they gave up in compensation for the offer sheet, which is a 1st and a 3rd. I don't want the Ducks to give up a 1st in either of the next two drafts unless the guy we're getting back is named Eichel.

That said, if Carolina pulls off the offer sheet, GMBM should be on the phone to Wadell to inquire what the price is for Ryan Suzuki because Carolina will be a bit overloaded at the C position.

Apparently there is a handshake deal for $4M per season, I have read elsewhere a 3 year term. Can only be a gentleman's agreement at this point though, as players on 1 year deals can only sign extensions from January 1 from what I understand.

I really like this move from Carolina. Basically they have to pay $6M this season to get this player's rights, then after that they only pay him $4M per year? Great stuff.

• Like 3

How are all you going to watch the upcoming Ducks games on tv? Is it still only Prime? Or also ESPN 0-3, TNT and NBCSN? Hard to find something on net with straight forward info on all channels playing certain games. Sling Blue package has all 3 of these (except ESPN+ And still no Prime). What info do you guys got? What streaming service will you watch on? 

so like...Arizona knows they don't get better odds at the #1 pick by going 0-82-0, right?? they just need to be last place.

Man they're gonna be worse than the Mighty Ducks on Disney+....and I don't mean the team, I mean the TV show!

• Like 1

Carolina is already loaded , now they get Kotkaniemi, sheesh. If only they had some really solid goaltending, they’d be ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

so like...Arizona knows they don't get better odds at the #1 pick by going 0-82-0, right?? they just need to be last place.

Man they're gonna be worse than the Mighty Ducks on Disney+....and I don't mean the team, I mean the TV show!

That show was so fantastic.  After the first 10 minutes of the first episode when I thought it was just going to be cheesy, hackneyed tripe, I loved every minute.

12 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

That show was so fantastic.  After the first 10 minutes of the first episode when I thought it was just going to be cheesy, hackneyed tripe, I loved every minute.

haha i mean, it was fun at times and had some interesting moments. But I just felt like it really could have been better, had a lot of missed opportunities that wouldn't have hurt them in any way if they just went a little bit one way or another but would have gone a long way to improve story and emotion without losing any of the goofyness or charm they were after.

Also, I couldn't get past them all closing their eyes for one of their plays...that...that just makes no sense lol -- even in the mighty ducks universe 

Bergevin definitely made lemonade with that Dvorak trade.  Instead of getting screwed over by Carolina, he upgraded at a time when the Canadiens are trying to compete, and the price was giving up a second round pick for a third round pick.  Essentially, he traded Kotkaniemi and a second for Dvorak and a third.  That makes a ton of sense for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Bergevin definitely made lemonade with that Dvorak trade.  Instead of getting screwed over by Carolina, he upgraded at a time when the Canadiens are trying to compete, and the price was giving up a second round pick for a third round pick.  Essentially, he traded Kotkaniemi and a second for Dvorak and a third.  That makes a ton of sense for him.

completely agree!

and now Arizona has.....EIGHT picks in the first 2 rounds.....oh man if they get the #1 pick (which I dearly hope they don't and we do)....this is gonna be the draft of the Coyotes. ...hopefully they have a place to play lol

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

completely agree!

and now Arizona has.....EIGHT picks in the first 2 rounds.....oh man if they get the #1 pick (which I dearly hope they don't and we do)....this is gonna be the draft of the Coyotes. ...hopefully they have a place to play lol

I'm sure they will unload Kessel by the TD for another 1st round pick. I'll still laugh if Buffalo gets the #1 pick though.

6 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

completely agree!

If only we had four pending UFAs that we could use to get additional first rounders!

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If only we had four pending UFAs that we could use to get additional first rounders!

Welp, we have three of them (counting Getzlaf). 

17 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

I'm sure they will unload Kessel by the TD for another 1st round pick. I'll still laugh if Buffalo gets the #1 pick though.

id laugh if we get it....ill cry if buffalo gets it lol

Hello! Kraken just announced that they will require proof of vax to attend games.  Have the Ducks made any kind of announcement like this? I hope they don’t 👎🏽 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

id laugh if we get it....ill cry if buffalo gets it lol

I think the one crying will be Shane Wright. Unless he gets lucky, a dumpster fire of a team will be picking him. What I mean about Arizona is yeah, they are stocking up on first round picks and tanking like no other but all this effort will be hilarious if they don't get the first overall. Anaheim doesn't have to try to tank, they naturally suck out loud but it would be amazing if somehow we got the #1 pick.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

Hello! Kraken just announced that they will require proof of vax to attend games.  Have the Ducks made any kind of announcement like this? I hope they don’t 👎🏽 

Kings fans should be tested for rabies before they enter the Ponda.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

I have not heard anything, although I very much hope they do.  I will probably avoid games unless they require proof of vaccination.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I think the one crying will be Shane Wright. Unless he gets lucky, a dumpster fire of a team will be picking him. What I mean about Arizona is yeah, they are stocking up on first round picks and tanking like no other but all this effort will be hilarious if they don't get the first overall. Anaheim doesn't have to try to tank, they naturally suck out loud but it would be amazing if somehow we got the #1 pick.

it's in the NHL's best interest Arizona gets it....they DESPERATELY need a generational player...

I'd say we're 2nd on the list. Buffalo doesn't. the NHL does not want Buffalo to get it. They cant afford ANOTHER star player to get the "Buffalo treatment"

But it was DEFINITELY in the NHL's best interest Arizona would win the 2016 draft.... 😕 wonder if Arizona could package a bunch of these picks and Keller and get Matthews haha I heard that if Toronto doesn't make a deep run, one of their young 3 will be on the move.

13 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Welp, we have three of them (counting Getzlaf). 

I was counting Manson in that category also since I think that he gets you a first if nothing else, which I would take for him at this point. 

21 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

The speed at which Arizona has started their rebuild is what surprises me. This is a team that was obviously much better than the Ducks also. It's almost as if their new GM understands that he'll have a middling to mediocre team for the foreseeable future and it's better to start the rebuild process now. What a concept, eh GMBM??

Then again, the Samuelis bear the blame for this now, imo. They continue to let Murray play with matches as the team burns.

4 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

it's in the NHL's best interest Arizona gets it....they DESPERATELY need a generational player...

I'd say we're 2nd on the list. Buffalo doesn't. the NHL does not want Buffalo to get it. They cant afford ANOTHER star player to get the "Buffalo treatment"

But it was DEFINITELY in the NHL's best interest Arizona would win the 2016 draft.... 😕 wonder if Arizona could package a bunch of these picks and Keller and get Matthews haha I heard that if Toronto doesn't make a deep run, one of their young 3 will be on the move.

We desperately need a generational player!! The NHL has given us jack else lol

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I was counting Manson in that category also since I think that he gets you a first if nothing else, which I would take for him at this point. 

The speed at which Arizona has started their rebuild is what surprises me. This is a team that was obviously much better than the Ducks also. It's almost as if their new GM understands that he'll have a middling to mediocre team for the foreseeable future and it's better to start the rebuild process now. What a concept, eh GMBM??

Then again, the Samuelis bear the blame for this now, imo. They continue to let Murray play with matches as the team burns.

LOL at Manson brining back a 1st. He'll need a MAJOR bounce-back season for that to happen.

Arizona had a better roster than us last season, but they also had a bunch of pending UFAs that made them better. Imagine if they had sold off guys like Goligoski and Hjalmarsson at the TDL instead of trying to make the playoffs. They're also going with a scorched earth rebuild and trading useful players that they had retained rights to for a long time. Dvorak and Garland are both only 25, can play in the top-6, and would have been under team control for several more seasons. We don't really have a useful 24/25/26-year-old in that skill range, but the closest would be Terry. Should we trade Terry for just picks as part of our rebuild? Didn't think so. Their trade of OEL would also be the equivalent of trading Fowler which, outside of one particular fan on this board, I haven't really seen anyone talking about as an important part of the rebuild. Are you all in on trading Fowler too? 

That said, I do think the Ducks missed out on landing any bad contracts in exchange for assets. With all of our cap space, if the Ducks weren't going to add any GOOD players to the roster, they should have been in on garbage contracts like Stralman, Ghostbear, or Andrew Ladd. Those three players got the Yotes four 2nds and a 3rd. Apparently the Ducks originally didn't plan on taking any bad contracts this season in exchange for assets and have since come around on the idea, but I frankly don't see many bad contracts left around the league for them to do that. So far, it's just a totally wasted offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Crosby is 34 and Malkin is 35 and in the final year of his contract, and their team has major goaltending issues. Watch the Penguins sell off Malkin, miss the playoffs, and then win the Shayne Wright sweepstakes. You know its coming. Wright is the Next Next One. They'll screw Arizona and Anaheim every day of the week and twice on Sundays to make that story line work.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Crosby is 34 and Malkin is 35 and in the final year of his contract, and their team has major goaltending issues. Watch the Penguins sell off Malkin, miss the playoffs, and then win the Shayne Wright sweepstakes. You know its coming. Wright is the Next Next One. They'll screw Arizona and Anaheim every day of the week and twice on Sundays to make that story line work.

Imagine they trade Malkin for Philly's first, Philly goes in the tank and falls out of a playoff spot (which the Penguins, who get inexplicably hot, manage to sneak into), and then Philly's first wins the lottery to draft Wright.  It's absolutely happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

We desperately need a generational player!! The NHL has given us jack eichel lol

fixed it for ya!.... 😂

47 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

haha oh man....i could see that....it makes me feel so sick....

But they used to OWN Arizona...I can't imagine they want Arizona to fail lol it benefits them and Bettman's philosophy of growing the game to keep teams in smaller markets and have them be successful. As does going to the olympics (complete side rant but I'm very convinced we dind't go to the South Korea olympics 'cause they were worried about the conflict with North Korea and something happening)

In the NHL's eyes, we at least have a good prospect pool and there's currently no risk of moving as we've won a cup within the past 20 years and have been a competitive team for a good chunk of the salary cap era.

27 minutes ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Imagine they trade Malkin for Philly's first, Philly goes in the tank and falls out of a playoff spot (which the Penguins, who get inexplicably hot, manage to sneak into), and then Philly's first wins the lottery to draft Wright.  It's absolutely happening.

you're missing the part where the Pens also win the cup lol