The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Jasoaks

2021-2022 NHL Season Catch-all

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

LOL at Manson brining back a 1st. He'll need a MAJOR bounce-back season for that to happen.

Arizona had a better roster than us last season, but they also had a bunch of pending UFAs that made them better. Imagine if they had sold off guys like Goligoski and Hjalmarsson at the TDL instead of trying to make the playoffs. They're also going with a scorched earth rebuild and trading useful players that they had retained rights to for a long time. Dvorak and Garland are both only 25, can play in the top-6, and would have been under team control for several more seasons. We don't really have a useful 24/25/26-year-old in that skill range, but the closest would be Terry. Should we trade Terry for just picks as part of our rebuild? Didn't think so. Their trade of OEL would also be the equivalent of trading Fowler which, outside of one particular fan on this board, I haven't really seen anyone talking about as an important part of the rebuild. Are you all in on trading Fowler too? 

That said, I do think the Ducks missed out on landing any bad contracts in exchange for assets. With all of our cap space, if the Ducks weren't going to add any GOOD players to the roster, they should have been in on garbage contracts like Stralman, Ghostbear, or Andrew Ladd. Those three players got the Yotes four 2nds and a 3rd. Apparently the Ducks originally didn't plan on taking any bad contracts this season in exchange for assets and have since come around on the idea, but I frankly don't see many bad contracts left around the league for them to do that. So far, it's just a totally wasted offseason.

If Ristolainen didn't bring back the 14 OA, 2nd and a depth defender then I'd agree. If he's worth that then Manson is worth at least a first, IMO. Murray's bromance for Manson might have him overvaluing him.

With Arizona, they brought in a new GM in Armstrong who is changing course and building the team he wants. Arizona wasn't going to compete for a Cup whether they kept Garland, Dvorak or not. Garland was due a significant raise and they shed OEL's contract, so I can see why Arizona is going scorched earth in shedding salary and loading up assets in a deep draft. At least they have a clear direction and logic for what they are doing.

As far as Fowler, I would want to keep him but not both him and Lindholm. If you can move Fowler and re-sign Lindholm, then I am fine with that. 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Crosby is 34 and Malkin is 35 and in the final year of his contract, and their team has major goaltending issues. Watch the Penguins sell off Malkin, miss the playoffs, and then win the Shayne Wright sweepstakes. You know its coming. Wright is the Next Next One. They'll screw Arizona and Anaheim every day of the week and twice on Sundays to make that story line work.

The Penguins will say that they are financially distressed in 2023 and they'll land Bedard, just like they did Lemieux and Crosby. Maybe if the Samuelis plead poverty then then Gary will but some loaded ping pong balls in our favor!

I'm more surprised that the Red Wings haven't won a draft lottery or had a top-3 pick given their recent history.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pazonator said:

Hello! Kraken just announced that they will require proof of vax to attend games.  Have the Ducks made any kind of announcement like this? I hope they don’t 👎🏽 

The info is on the Honda Center website. Proof of vax required (or negative test 72 hrs prior to event) and goes into effect Sept. 20.

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dukitup said:

The info is on the Honda Center website. Proof of vax required (or negative test 72 hrs prior to event) and goes into effect Sept. 20.

Cool.  I have a new ticket guy (Scottish dude) and after I transacted the partial season ticket plan, I haven't heard a peep.  He didn't even confirm that my purchase went through or thanked me for it.  I finally saw my first payment charge, and that's how I knew it worked out okay.

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

Fair enough IMO, they want to be able to fill the stadiums all season long, and if there are tons of outbreaks linked back to games this could affect capacity restrictions, which affects their bottom line. Seems reasonable.

I was planning a trip to Anaheim for October to see some games but with the travel restrictions currently in place between the USA and Canada I think I will have to cancel unfortunately. The pre-departure test is the sticking point. The likelihood is low, but I can't afford to be stuck in the US for 2 additional weeks at the end of my trip if I happen to test positive right before my flight back to Canada. It sucks but it is what it is. All you peeps in Anaheim should just be grateful to get to go to games, even if there are extra requirements to get in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Connor McDavid: "the time is now for the Oilers"

lol nothing funnier than a 24 year-old hockey phenom thinking the terrible team he's on needs to win NOW. especially when the current team has some of the worst goaltending, D, and scoring depth in the NHL.... Makes me think he's starting to think/feel on a subconscious level he needs to get out.... dude has another 5 years on his contract lol

Coyotes are going back to their 90s look full time now. Great news, I never liked any of those decapitated tooth-baring animal head logos in this league. Minnesota is corny, Florida needs to re-brand again, and Nashville needs to just relocate and burn all ties to what's currently the worst brand in sports cause there's no saving what they've got. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Coyotes are going back to their 90s look full time now. Great news, I never liked any of those decapitated tooth-baring animal head logos in this league. Minnesota is corny, Florida needs to re-brand again, and Nashville needs to just relocate and burn all ties to what's currently the worst brand in sports cause there's no saving what they've got. 

....and how about Anaheim Ducks? How are they doing?

5 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

....and how about Anaheim Ducks? How are they doing?

I'm talking about the uniforms. Our Duck foot logo is generic and the black sweaters are boring but hooooly, I'd take them over some beady eyed robo-cat with a horrible case of periodontal disease every single time. That's just their weird jagged logo, don't even get me started on that awful shade of yellow and how it clashes with white ice, or how lazy and unfortunate of a name Predators is for a team. 

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

I'm talking about the uniforms. Our Duck foot logo is generic and the black sweaters are boring but hooooly, I'd take them over some beady eyed robo-cat with a horrible case of periodontal disease every single time. That's just their weird jagged logo, don't even get me started on that awful shade of yellow and how it clashes with white ice, or how lazy and unfortunate of a name Predators is for a team. 

the preds logo is just....disgusting. which is fitting.

I don't hate the Ducks webbed-foot as much as others -- as it's certainly better than just saying "Ducks" across the chest lol...but still meh. I do like the Wild logo though!

to me, I would add in CBJ that just really needs to re-work their logo. 

6 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Kirushka Kaprizov signs a good contract with Minnesota after just 1 season in NHL

https://www.kp.ru/sports/hokkej/kaprizov-podpisal-mnogomillionnyj-kontrakt-s-minnesotoj-uajld/

That's crazy. He's good no doubt about it but 9 mil after one good shortened season is insane IMO. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

That's crazy. He's good no doubt about it but 9 mil after one good shortened season is insane IMO. 

I think it depends on what you think is sane.  For years (basically since the advent of free agency), NHL GMs have paid players for what they've done rather than what they will do.  They've ignored aging curves and thrown out huge, lengthy contracts to guys in their late 20s and 30s who have established that they're quality players.  If those guys are elite and stay elite (or close to it), the contract pays off.  But often the deals look bad by the end.  Age catches up to them and injury or ineffectiveness render the last few years of the contract painful and immoveable.  These deals are maybe slightly less risky than the Kaprizov deal in that you're usually sure you're getting SOME good years, but the payoff is also far less.  There's no potential to tap into by paying a 28-year-old Dougie Hamilton $9 million a year.  You're just hoping he keeps his current production for as long as possible.  (And I'm not ragging on that that deal, by the way - I think it's a good one - but it's an example of what I'm talking about.)  

GMs have started to pay elite young talent when they're still elite and getting better.  Guerin is paying for no downside in Kaprizov's career.  The Avs are paying near top dollar for Cale Makar, but they get him when he'll be at the top of his game, and can let him walk, if they so desire, before his decline phase.  I wonder if we'll start seeing more of this across the board; UFA contracts and extensions that buy out UFA years will decrease in dollars, while RFA deals will increase.  The shift hasn't taken place completely - elite young stars are getting paid while above average youngsters still have to wait for their payday. And this is because the variability is greater when you haven't seen the elite production yet.  A young player with a good-not-great season might not reach those heights again.  But it's rare for a young guy with an elite season to end up being a bust, and GMs are starting to realize that and pay accordingly.  They usually wind up with a small discount because they're paying early rather than having to pony up after a monster season. 

In this case, there have been 10 rookies in the cap era to put up .85 points per game or more in at least 50 games (Kaprizov was at .93 in 55 games, or .87 in 62 if you want to include playoffs).  Of the 10, seven have been elite players in their careers, one has been good but not quite elite (Paul Stastny, and if the Wild got Paul Stastny's production in his early 20's, I think they'd be disappointed but it wouldn't be a bad contract), and the jury's still out on the other two, but it looks promising for at least one of them (Laine and Pettersson).  Kaprizov is a bit different in that he was a rookie at 23, so the potential for improvement isn't quite as high, but the chances that he flames out completely are still really low.  There were 21 players who put up a season like Kaprizov's in their age 23 year, regardless of rookie status.  Only two could be labeled as busts or one-year wonders (Max Domi and Chris Stewart).  The rest is a collection of good (Tomas Vanek, Mike Richards, Bobby Ryan) to elite (Malkin, Kucherov).  I think the Wild will take the 90% chance that Kaprizov lives up to the deal over the next five years.

Edited by Gorbachav55

Nick Ritchie with 2 goals already against Montreal.  Dude never played like that with the ducks.

Probably lousy coaching by the ducks...

It seems former duck players thrive on their new teams by and large...

57 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Nick Ritchie with 2 goals already against Montreal.  Dude never played like that with the ducks.

he's currently on the most offensively minded team there is.  it's preseason.  call me when it matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

he's currently on the most offensively minded team there is.  it's preseason.  call me when it matters.

Yeah that’s true 

18 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Not only is he on an offensive minded team, he's been on an almost SCF team with the Ducks and did similarly than he did last season.

Mikka Z signed with the Rangers...have to think he's off the table for Eichel...

Man, the rangers truly have SO many pieces they could give for Eichel and not really be hurt too badly...but seems like it's diminishing...

ugh, i hate vegas....i understand why that's a goal but it shouldn't be...it's possible to kick a soccer ball with the outside of your foot!

im just biased 'cause i don't want Vegas to win ever

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

ugh, i hate vegas....i understand why that's a goal but it shouldn't be...it's possible to kick a soccer ball with the outside of your foot!

im just biased 'cause i don't want Vegas to win ever

Seems Vegas will be the favored child of the NHL and Kraken - just like the Ducks - another redheaded stepchild wailing in the basement. Or so it seems. Everyone is veeery careful with expectations from Seattle, especially so after the C19 train hit them right at the beginning of their first season. Speaking of... is expanding the NHL a cursed endeavor? First the Knights get the shooting in the city and now a bunch of top-end Kraken get the damned Covid. This league is cursed.

Rightfully so with the kind of reffing they allow on a daily basis.

Still, possibly just Giordano's filth rubbing of on new team mates.

Wow, Brady Tkachuk signs for seven years, $8.2 million per year.  That's an awful lot for a guy who's scored at a .65 ppg pace over his three-year career, and hasn't gotten more productive since his rookie season.  I know there's still potential there, and we have to take the COVID seasons with a grain of salt, but it seems like Ottawa really has to overpay to keep these guys around.  I don't blame them - they had to do this as part of their rebuild (and they can afford to), but it's going to make negotiations with some of their other guys more difficult down the road, assuming they blossom into stars.

For all the flak I give Murray, he's usually handled RFA negotiations really well.  It will be interesting to see if it's any different now that Solomon is here.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Wow, Brady Tkachuk signs for seven years, $8.2 million per year.  That's an awful lot for a guy who's scored at a .65 ppg pace over his three-year career, and hasn't gotten more productive since his rookie season.  I know there's still potential there, and we have to take the COVID seasons with a grain of salt, but it seems like Ottawa really has to overpay to keep these guys around.  I don't blame them - they had to do this as part of their rebuild (and they can afford to), but it's going to make negotiations with some of their other guys more difficult down the road, assuming they blossom into stars.

For all the flak I give Murray, he's usually handled RFA negotiations really well.  It will be interesting to see if it's any different now that Solomon is here.  

It does seem like an overpay in the short term.

Brady has been remarkably consistent since entering the league. 0.63, 0.61 and 0.64 points per game in his first 3 seasons. His Corsi and Fenwick numbers are also amazingly consistent over those 3 years. So he's still young, but he hasn't taken any big steps forward in his time in the NHL.

They are banking on him becoming more than a 50 point scorer, which is what he is now. He sort of reminds me of TJ Oshie. He might have one or two seasons that are more productive, but overall he is a consistent 50 point per year guy, every year. I don't think that's enough scoring for $8.2M per year.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

It does seem like an overpay in the short term.

Brady has been remarkably consistent since entering the league. 0.63, 0.61 and 0.64 points per game in his first 3 seasons. His Corsi and Fenwick numbers are also amazingly consistent over those 3 years. So he's still young, but he hasn't taken any big steps forward in his time in the NHL.

They are banking on him becoming more than a 50 point scorer, which is what he is now. He sort of reminds me of TJ Oshie. He might have one or two seasons that are more productive, but overall he is a consistent 50 point per year guy, every year. I don't think that's enough scoring for $8.2M per year.

I feel the exact same way.  I guess you hope that a stud center comes along who can bring even more out of Tkachuk, but that still seems like a misallocation of resources. 

I would have tried to get him on a $4 - $5 million deal for a couple years to see if he takes it to another gear.  If he doesn't, that's not a great contract.  That's life in Ottawa, I guess.

Ducks beat the Jets.

Buffalo beats down Montreal.

Columbus stomps Arizona.

Ottawa beats Toronto.

Seattle gets first win ever against that horrible team from Tennessee.

Detroit loses 7-6 to Tampa with Bertuzzi scoring 4 goals.

Great 24 hours of puck action!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Yeah, the Kings look like they might be taking that step this season.

ugh last night was the worst! Kings AND Dodgers winning?!

I think Vegas is a bi overrated IMO, but that Kings team does look like theyre taking a step.....and that was without byfrield....yikes!

12 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Yeah, the Kings look like they might be taking that step this season.

Maybe. But what stands out to you about their starting forward group?

Arvidsson (28) – Kopitar (34) – Brown (36)
Iafallo (27) – Danault (28) – Kempe (25)
Tkachev (26) – Vilardi (22) – Kaliyev (20)
Lemieux (25) – Lizotte (24) – Moore (26)

What stands out to me is that there is only one forward (Kaliyev) in their entire starting 12 that was drafted during their "rebuild", and he was 2nd rounder. Obviously Byfield will eventually be there when he's healthy too (he looks really good), but I think it's a bit early to crown LA the Kings of the Rebuild when they're currently relying on a top-6 forward group that has an average age of nearly 30. You also have to look at their contracts. Kopitar is signed until he's 36. Danault until he's 34. Iafallo until he's 31. Arvidsson until he's 31. And Brown turns 37 next month and is a pending UFA. That's a lot of age in their top-6 right now. So does this group continue to trend up as the years tick on? Too early to tell IMO. We still haven't seen much of anything come out of their "rebuild" yet.

Edit: Almost forgot - Athanasiou (27) is also going to bump someone from that lineup once he's healthy too. 

Edited by dtsdlaw

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Maybe. But what stands out to you about their starting forward group?

Arvidsson (28) – Kopitar (34) – Brown (36)
Iafallo (27) – Danault (28) – Kempe (25)
Tkachev (26) – Vilardi (22) – Kaliyev (20)
Lemieux (25) – Lizotte (24) – Moore (26)

What stands out to me is that there is only one forward (Kaliyev) in their entire starting 12 that was drafted during their "rebuild", and he was 2nd rounder. Obviously Byfield will eventually be there when he's healthy too (he looks really good), but I think it's a bit early to crown LA the Kings of the Rebuild when they're currently relying on a top-6 forward group that has an average age of nearly 30. You also have to look at their contracts. Kopitar is signed until he's 36. Danault until he's 34. Iafallo until he's 31. Arvidsson until he's 31. And Brown turns 37 next month and is a pending UFA. That's a lot of age in their top-6 right now. So does this group continue to trend up as the years tick on? Too early to tell IMO. We still haven't seen much of anything come out of their "rebuild" yet.

I'm not crowning them kings of anything yet, and of course it's very early, but their play in the preseason and now against Vegas has really impressed me (blech).  Kopitar is still playing at a high level, and drags everyone else upward.  They have a decent second line, and that third line looks like it's going to be really good.  You mentioned Byfield, but they've also got Fagemo and Turcotte in the system, not to mention some other depth guys who could get into the lineup over the next year.  Their defense is also improving with Anderson and Bjornfot.  Their goaltending is suspect, but you never know if a guy like Petersen can put it all together in his late 20s.  

Again, they're not "there" yet, and not particularly close, but they're on their way.  They still need several prospects to pan out before they're back competing for the top of the division.  But it looks like the moves they've made (acquiring Danault and Tkachev) and the growth of their youngsters (Vilardi, Kaliyev, Kempe finally coming into his own, plus whatever they get from Byfield) could put them firmly in the playoff hunt this season, especially in a weak Pacific.  They're well positioned to let Brown walk and use his money to acquire a significant upgrade on offense or defense, and to allow Kopitar to age gracefully while his production is replaced by Vilardi or Byfield.

I just think they're taking that next step.  Bottom feeder -> Rebuilder -> Playoff Team -> Division Contender -> Cup Contender 

They look like they're moving from rebuilder to playoff team.  Time will tell.

I know that the season just started and we’ll start seeing who’s legit around Thanksgiving, but I am optimistic that Nashville might face-plant this season. Looking at their roster and the division they are in is encouraging.