The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

Expansion Draft Predictions

Kings manager thinks outside of  the box, business only with no strings attached - left unprotected Jonathan Quick. Our GM goes strictly by the rule, protecting expensive or non-performing players like Fowler, Steel and Gibson. Choosing to protect Deslauriers over Volkov also makes little sense to me (opps...forgot, his last name ends with "ov", then it DOES make sense for this GM). The only good thing is leaving unprotected Larsson - oh, God, I hope Seattle picks this first round bust from our roster.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Haha 1

I´m anxious. Wednesday can´t come soon enough. Seeing Deslauriers protected is odd to say the least and I gotta say it hurts to see Henrique left exposed. His contract isn´t the best but who gave it to him? I like the guy and he´s been treated like garbage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

ohhh just looking through...so many interesting names unprotected!

Eberle...Martin Jones...Matt Murray...haha, man, looking back at the Vegas ED and seeing Matt Murray now unprotected lol Also sso funny seeing Ovechkin on the available list...i mean, aint no way he signs with Seattle, but just funny to see

And Washington protected Sprong🤪. Looks like Seattle might be able to put a pretty good team together.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

And Washington protected Sprong🤪. Looks like Seattle might be able to put a pretty good team together.

ha! wow, yeah they can....also Duchene... hate the guy, but that's a pretty big name.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I had a nightmare that the protection list would look something like this. My dreams aren’t even safe from Murray. Can’t wait what see what the 5D Chessmaster does to wreck the franchise’s future over the next week.

We're not going to lose a player that's a cornerstone for the organization. Worst case is Fluery only because he looked pretty good with Drysdale. 

16 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

We're not going to lose a player that's a cornerstone for the organization. Worst case is Fluery only because he looked pretty good with Drysdale. 

Agreed but a GM that wastes protection slots on Deslauriers, Silf and even Steel is puzzling to put it generously, imo. The expansion draft doesn’t worry me, it’s what happens after that terrifies me with our GM and I’m somehow even more worried after seeing something like this protection list.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agreed but a GM that wastes protection slots on Deslauriers, Silf and even Steel is puzzling to put it generously, imo. The expansion draft doesn’t worry me, it’s what happens after that terrifies me with our GM and I’m somehow even more worried after seeing something like this protection list.

I have little to no faith in BM so all of the following is nothing more than hopeful speculation. Let´s assume BM is working on something big. I mean he has to make a move sooner or later with all that capspace.

I wouldn´t protect Steel. Unless he´s part of a package for someone and seattle wouldn´t bite on a deal. If you want to trade Steel you have to have Steel 😄. I consider it very unlikely if that were the case but you never know.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I have little to no faith in BM so all of the following is nothing more than hopeful speculation. Let´s assume BM is working on something big. I mean he has to make a move sooner or later with all that capspace.

I wouldn´t protect Steel. Unless he´s part of a package for someone and seattle wouldn´t bite on a deal. If you want to trade Steel you have to have Steel 😄. I consider it very unlikely if that were the case but you never know.

Yeah, that's been the huge problem. The Ducks have to make bigs moves this offseason through the trade deadline and a GM that most of us have little no faith in is going to be the one making those decisions. They can't kick the can farther down the road and need to decide who stays, who goes and for what. Also, Murray thinking that the Ducks have a path to be competitive next season would just show that he's still delusional in his assessment of this team, IMO.

As far as cap space, I would praise him if he could weaponize that to bring in additional picks and assets (i.e. what Arizona just did by taking on Andrew Ladd's contract from the Islanders). Taking on a bad contract like a Loui Ericsson, Tyler Johnson, Stralman or being a 3rd party to retain salary in a trade would be pretty savvy, IMO. 

That’s giving him way too much credit for his ability to do anything savvy.

he couldn’t find his @$$ with both hands…

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If there’s a deal in place already, who cares which players he protects?

• Like 1

I assume there's a deal in place for Seattle to draft Henrique. In a flat cap era that we're in right now, the one big currency to have is cap room. Freeing up the Henrique contract gives the Ducks around 28M to play with. I love Henrique but unless we're a serious Cup contender, his value to us is minimal imo. Yes, he's a good mentor for the kids, but so is Getzlaf, Silf., Fowler, etc. No team is gonna trade for him right now unless we retain 40-50% of salary. 

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I´m anxious. Wednesday can´t come soon enough. Seeing Deslauriers protected is odd to say the least and I gotta say it hurts to see Henrique left exposed. His contract isn´t the best but who gave it to him? I like the guy and he´s been treated like garbage. 

Agree with the bolded. We don’t know exactly what happened with Rico behind the scenes, but from the outside looking in it sure looks like the Ducks completely botched this situation. 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm with you guys. The only way it makes sense to protect Deslauries is that Murray has a deal in place with Seattle.

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Landeskog exposed is maybe the biggest surprise

This is not surprising at all, teams aren't protecting UFAs as there is no point. Washington didn't protect Ovechkin.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Call it PTSD from the last time Murray had a deal in place with an expansion team lol. Again, the ED is less of my concern this time around than what happens after it with our GM.

At this point we really have no clue who is going where. We have our own blind biases about who is valuable and who isn’t, but that has no bearing on what Seattle thinks or wants. 

Fun. 

Hahaha I know there's likely something else going on behind the scenes here but protecting Deslauriers is such a Barstool move it hurts. At least our team is very bad and we won't be losing a Theodore caliber player over this (who we traded last expansion because of Bieksa's insane contract.. so we could protect Vatanen.. who we traded for Henrique.. who is now being exposed)

36 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agree with the bolded. We don’t know exactly what happened with Rico behind the scenes, but from the outside looking in it sure looks like the Ducks completely botched this situation. 

If true that Rico goes to Seattle then doesn’t that make a theoretical Eichel trade seemingly more confounding? Getting him after trading arguably our best scorer would create another obstacle to clear for a team that can’t score enough as it is.

17 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If true that Rico goes to Seattle then doesn’t that make a theoretical Eichel trade seemingly more confounding? Getting him after trading arguably our best scorer would create another obstacle to clear for a team that can’t score enough as it is.

Only if you believe that the cap space opened up by losing Rico won’t be used. I personally have a hard time believing GMBM would get an Eichel and then plop him between Max Jones and Troy Terry. He’d add someone else to play with Eichel.

21 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Price apparently is being left exposed.....same with Quick....although I can't imagine Quick gets picked up....

From Local media up in Canada....Price will be out for signifiant amount of time next season...so Squidheads I will sure will not select a Injured Goalie.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

From Local media up in Canada....Price will be out for signifiant amount of time next season...so Squidheads I will sure will not select a Injured Goalie.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

hahah squidheads?? is that what we're gonna use?? i kinda love it

probably better than crackheads :P 

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

hahah squidheads?? is that what we're gonna use?? i kinda love it

probably better than crackheads :P 

I rather call them that as I call VGK Magnetos.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

I rather call them that as I call VGK Magnetos.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

also ooooooooh how convenient that suddenly now making it public that Price is injured.....just a bit convenient.......... ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

also ooooooooh how convenient that suddenly now making it public that Price is injured.....just a bit convenient.......... ;) 

A Little TOOOOO Convenient then again his wife is from Northwest area.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

51 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Only if you believe that the cap space opened up by losing Rico won’t be used. I personally have a hard time believing GMBM would get an Eichel and then plop him between Max Jones and Troy Terry. He’d add someone else to play with Eichel.

More often than not, I end up having hard time believing the things that Murray does lol. I don't think a flat cap with a small market team that is one of the worst in the NHL should be opening up the check book at this point. Seems like a lot of work, money and assets just to miss the playoffs 🤑

So question. Since they are allowed to talk to FA and if they can sign them it counts as their pick, Whats to stop them from coming to an agreement and waiting to sign them until regular FA. Draft a different player, then sign the guy they want later…

4 hours ago, ike8228 said:

So question. Since they are allowed to talk to FA and if they can sign them it counts as their pick, Whats to stop them from coming to an agreement and waiting to sign them until regular FA. Draft a different player, then sign the guy they want later…

max roster, max cap, $$

i saw someone say something to the extent of "the lightning's unprotected list looks better than the sharks protected list" lol

• Haha 1

Just did my first run through the mock expansion draft, and the one thought that kept running through my head was "dang, Seattle could easily Eichel if they wanted to." There are a lot of good players available, and if Seattle offered the 2nd overall and then let Buffalo select its 3 or 4 favorite players from the exposure list, that could be a no-brainer for Buffalo. Wonder if Ron Francis is considering that route. Either way, Seattle should be pretty good. Though their center depth won't be great if they don't chase one through trade. The expansion options at C aren't great.

• Like 1

So, how does this work?  I can't recall from last time.

If a deal is in place, is it revealed prior to Wednesday?  Or we just won't know until then?