The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

Expansion Draft Predictions

5 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Unless it's leaked, I think we find everything out on Wednesday.  

Yup, 10am EST on Wednesday.

This could honestly be the craziest week of offseason hockey we've ever seen. The ED selection process sounds like its going to be bonkers, with teams negotiating with Seattle for exposed players even before Seattle has made its selections. For example, I've seen a few places that several teams want Voracek from Philly and have already made pitches to Seattle to select him so that he can be immediately flipped. Then the entry draft starts 2 days later. I don't expect to get much work done on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

This won't be good for me since I've got to cram on Wednesday to get all my work done before I leave for a week and a half of vacation that night.  Instead I'm going to be refreshing a bunch of NHL pages while I curse Bob Murray for the idiot he is.

Well, hopefully the Ducks announce the Eichel trade after your done with work but before you get on the plane... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This could honestly be the craziest week of offseason hockey we've ever seen. The ED selection process sounds like its going to be bonkers, with teams negotiating with Seattle for exposed players even before Seattle has made its selections. For example, I've seen a few places that several teams want Voracek from Philly and have already made pitches to Seattle to select him so that he can be immediately flipped. Then the entry draft starts 2 days later. I don't expect to get much work done on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. :lol:

It will be a success for Anaheim if BM doesn't trade Zegras, Drysdale or the 3rd pick to get some old defenseman that Seattle could get in the ED.

3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Well, hopefully the Ducks announce the Eichel trade after your done with work but before you get on the plane... :ph34r:

Wouldn't it be something if the Kings actually pulled that trade off and a moping Bob Murray tries to explain why he couldn't do it?

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

This won't be good for me since I've got to cram on Wednesday to get all my work done before I leave for a week and a half of vacation that night.  Instead I'm going to be refreshing a bunch of NHL pages while I curse Bob Murray for the idiot he is.

Wait…You haven’t been doing this on a daily basis already?? I cleared out a BevMo aisle to get me through Friday.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hopefully the Ducks are announcing the 3rd overall pick on Friday lol.

For those interested, the Capfriendly Seattle Expansion Simulator allows you to do a mock draft based on the protection lists (can't do trades though as far as I can tell). It's on the tab at the top left that says "DRAFT TEAM". If you have a few moments, do the mock and then publish your team here. I'm curious what you all think.

Here's mine:

Forwards: Voracek (PHI), Eberle (NYI), Zucker (PIT), Donskoi (COL), Tierney (OTT), Kerfoot (TOR), Byron (MON), Jarnkrok (NAS), Fischer (AZ), Ritchie (BOS), Donato (SJ), Athanasiou (LA), Joseph (TB),  Khaira (EDM), Gauthier (NYR)

Defensemen: Bean (CAR), Zadorov (CHI), Jultz (WAS), Miller (BUF), DeMelo (WIN), Stecher (DET), Kukan (CLB), Dunn (STL), Fleury (ANA), Butcher (NJ)

Goalies: Holtby (VAN), Kahkonen (MIN), Bishop (DAL), Driedger (FLA), Parsons (CAL)

That's $80.7M against the $81.5M cap, which may be a little high, but I think they'll immediately flip a few big names to create some cap space. Voracek ($8.25M) for sure. I'd expect 3-4 forwards and 2-3 D-men to be flipped. One of the goalies too, like Holtby. I also think it's likely they'll be taking on some contracts in side deals (such as Tyler Johnson and Rico) in exchange for assets. They'll spend to the cap this season though. There's too much talent available for them to not be a cap team.

Edited by dtsdlaw

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

It not only be Crazy but GOD Forbid IF they select the Big name players in the Avaliablity List.....It will be Insane.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Unless it's leaked, I think we find everything out on Wednesday.  

i don't think we find out the specifics of any deals, at least not automatically, just the ED picks.  the other swaps happen by contract at whatever time the parties want.  i would imagine many deals want to be on the books right away so that further deals can be done leading into the regular draft, but some others, not so much.  there's room for some serious shenanigans in the next week - lots of poker faces and moves (gonna have that gaga song in my head all week).

on the RFA/UFA picks Seattle can make... imagine how much more tempting it could be for some BIG players to sign up AFTER Seattle builds up their roster through the ED.  there's ANOTHER avenue for some shenangians, but this time, it's more in the hands of the players and their agents.  some teams could get really f-d over... i guess the only pressure not to do that would be the bad blood there'd be with that player, their agent, and Seattle, on an ongoing basis.  maybe that pressure is too much to allow things to get too wild... but maybe not!

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you have a few moments, do the mock and then publish your team here. I'm curious what you all think.

without more information on the side deals, it seems a bit too undefined to make headway with specific names, for me.  but critiquing your selections:
-- i think Seattle might work a bit harder to grab goalies.  this past season especially showed how much demand there is for a solid #2 or co-#1.  they might be able to extract some HIGH exchanges if they load up.
-- i don't think Seattle selects Fleury from the Ducks.  i think they select Stolarz over Fleury if it's straight up, or they select a large contract as part of whatever deal we have in place for them (to tell the world they WANT that player, which is something they'd desperately want to do if Hank is involved, to get started on the right foot).  i'm not sure if that's possible if the Ducks need to retain salary, but if it is, then that's the way that selection goes.
-- i don't think Seattle selects Bishop.  Price over Bishop, cause I'd discount the reports of injury stuff on Price.  Price is expensive, but there's upside that doesn't exist with Bishop.
-- for TOR, why not Hyman or McCann?  both seem better picks than Kerfoot, unless you think there's a deal where they get an exempt player or a goalie or a pick or whatever.  

Edited by Fisix

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

No planes - it's a road trip with the family from Anaheim to Glacier National Park in Montana.  I'm incredibly excited.

That sounds like an awesome trip. Hoping to go to Glacier myself one day. Enjoy your trip and make sure you don't let BM spoil it for you by doing something stupid like trading 3rd overall to montreal for an injured Shea Weber. 

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Just did my first run through the mock expansion draft, and the one thought that kept running through my head was "dang, Seattle could easily Eichel if they wanted to." There are a lot of good players available, and if Seattle offered the 2nd overall and then let Buffalo select its 3 or 4 favorite players from the exposure list, that could be a no-brainer for Buffalo. Wonder if Ron Francis is considering that route. Either way, Seattle should be pretty good. Though their center depth won't be great if they don't chase one through trade. The expansion options at C aren't great.

Of course there's no bonafide #1 center available but they have to be able to come up with some pretty decent center depth. I don't like the guy but who knows what a change of scenery can do for ryan johansen for example. Great face-off guy who can fill in on the 1st line although he's expensive. There's max domi (whom they might be able to place on LTIR), yanni gourde, alex kerfoot, Adam Henrique, chris tierney...

It has to work cap wise but they should have no problems picking an excellent #2, #3 and #4 center. On top of that they probably draft Beniers, arguably the best center prospect in this year's draft. 

It hurts to say this but if we don't get Eichel (something I'm fine with) and Zegras doesn't excel seattle's center depth will be better than ours. Especially if we lose Henrique. 

Alright Here is my personal View on Ducks Protected List for 2nd time. I beleive it would have been Better IF our Ducks say to Put together Rico,Larsson and Maybe Fleury in a Deal to ensure Ducks get something in return. It sucks they are left unprotected(Available) and Ducks May lose them especially Rico for nothing....Those are my views on this. Yet All of us including our Ducks will wait and see and what happens.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

No planes - it's a road trip with the family from Anaheim to Glacier National Park in Montana.  I'm incredibly excited.

dude that trip is gonna be epic! are you guys gonna stop in other parks on the way? Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Grand Tetons are all in the "area" ...badlands

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

For those interested, the Capfriendly Seattle Expansion Simulator allows you to do a mock draft based on the protection lists (can't do trades though as far as I can tell). It's on the tab at the top left that says "DRAFT TEAM". If you have a few moments, do the mock and then publish your team here. I'm curious what you all think.

Here's mine:

Forwards: Voracek (PHI), Eberle (NYI), Zucker (PIT), Donskoi (COL), Tierney (OTT), Kerfoot (TOR), Byron (MON), Jarnkrok (NAS), Fischer (AZ), Ritchie (BOS), Donato (SJ), Athanasiou (LA), Joseph (TB),  Khaira (EDM), Gauthier (NYR)

Defensemen: Bean (CAR), Zadorov (CHI), Jultz (WAS), Miller (BUF), DeMelo (WIN), Stecher (DET), Kukan (CLB), Dunn (STL), Fleury (ANA), Butcher (NJ)

Goalies: Holtby (VAN), Kahkonen (MIN), Bishop (DAL), Driedger (FLA), Parsons (CAL)

That's $80.7M against the $81.5M cap, which may be a little high, but I think they'll immediately flip a few big names to create some cap space. Voracek ($8.25M) for sure. I'd expect 3-4 forwards and 2-3 D-men to be flipped. One of the goalies too, like Holtby. I also think it's likely they'll be taking on some contracts in side deals (such as Tyler Johnson and Rico) in exchange for assets. They'll spend to the cap this season though. There's too much talent available for them to not be a cap team.

that's a pretty solid team!

ive always been pretty big on Tierney for a 3rd C/PK C... Zucker, Eberle, Voracek, Donskoi...those aren't any players to just scoff at lol...even Donato, he still could hit his ceiling... a little less to be desired in D though. 

Some interesting comments on Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast this morning about the Ducks protecting Deslauriers. Marek and Friedge both seem to think that there is interest around the league in Deslauriers, and the Rangers were specifically named as one option because of their "Tom Wilson problem" (click the link if you need a reminder). I wonder if there's some teeth to this and that Deslauriers was protected because the Ducks are working on a deal involving. Looking at the Rangers specifically, they have a bunch of RHD prospects that are very interesting. Maybe GMBM trades Deslauriers (+ pick?) for a higher end prospect like Nils Lundkvist or Braden Schneider, both of whom were late 1st rounders (2018 and 2020 respectively).

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

Some interesting comments on Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast this morning about the Ducks protecting Deslauriers. Marek and Friedge both seem to think that there is interest around the league in Deslauriers, and the Rangers were specifically named as one option because of their "Tom Wilson problem" (click the link if you need a reminder). I wonder if there's some teeth to this and that Deslauriers was protected because the Ducks are working on a deal involving. Looking at the Rangers specifically, they have a bunch of RHD prospects that are very interesting. Maybe GMBM trades Deslauriers (+ pick?) for a higher end prospect like Nils Lundkvist or Braden Schneider, both of whom were late 1st rounders (2018 and 2020 respectively).

Oh let's get Schneider!! please! man, if BM can turn Deslaruiers into Schneider....without using the 3rd overall...or any of the other obvious untouchables...wow

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Oh let's get Schneider!! please! man, if BM can turn Deslaruiers into Schneider....without using the 3rd overall...or any of the other obvious untouchables...wow

Either guy I mentioned would be sweet. Would you do Deslauriers + #34 overall in this draft for one of those guys? I think I would. 

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Either guy I mentioned would be sweet. Would you do Deslauriers + #34 overall in this draft for one of those guys? I think I would. 

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

We might drive through Yellowstone on the way back south, but we've done Yellowstone a couple times and we did the Tetons two years ago.  Devil's Tower is east of our route.  We'll head up through eastern Nevada and then through the middle of Idaho, which I haven't seen much of.  So I'll take any advice on great spots to see in Idaho.  We are planning to stop in Twin Falls and Idaho Falls, and there's a ghost town along the way we might stop at.  But I'll happily take recommendations for sites or restaurants or anything worth seeing.

I don't know much about Idaho haha ghost town sounds fun! Also doing a little bit of research Twin Falls looks sweet!

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

oh, 100% would! Unlike last years and next years draft...this one seems like the one to use the picks to get other prospects. Where as 20/22 are more the years you want to have more picks/keep your picks.

Edited by Jasoaks

9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

oh, 100% would!

Another interesting idea would be Ryan Strome. If the Rangers win the Eichel sweepstakes, then Strome (if not a part of that deal) would likely be the odd Center out and they'd likely need to move his $4.5M cap hit this summer. He's 28 and has one year left before UFA, but if we could acquire him with a contract extension agreed to in principal, then he could really help bridge to the next generation of Centers. He did have 14G/35A in 56 games last season (including 3G/15A on the PP), so he would be an instant upgrade for the Ducks at center. Deslauriers could be a piece in that deal too.

Bottom line though, while I was as shocked as anyone when Deslauriers was on the protected list, after thinking about it for a while and seeing all of the possible scenarios where it makes sense to protect him, I'm going to reserve judgment until at least 7am tomorrow morning.... :P

Edited by dtsdlaw

Expansion draft is on Wednesday at 8pm EST (5pm west coast) on ESPN2.  FYI

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Expansion draft is on Wednesday at 8pm EST (5pm west coast) on ESPN2.  FYI

Thanks for the clarification. I believe Seattle has to submit its choices to the league by 10am EST, but it looks like they'll keep them under wraps (as much as possible) until the announcement show on Wednesday night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Another interesting idea would be Ryan Strome. If the Rangers win the Eichel sweepstakes, then Strome (if not a part of that deal) would likely be the odd Center out and they'd likely need to move his $4.5M cap hit this summer. He's 28 and has one year left before UFA, but if we could acquire him with a contract extension agreed to in principal, then he could really help bridge to the next generation of Centers. He did have 14G/35A in 56 games last season (including 3G/15A on the PP), so he would be an instant upgrade for the Ducks at center. Deslauriers could be a piece in that deal too.

Bottom line though, while I was as shocked as anyone when Deslauriers was on the protected list, after thinking about it for a while and seeing all of the possible scenarios where it makes sense to protect him, I'm going to reserve judgment until at least 7am tomorrow morning.... :P

Strome is interesting...maybe that would be fine. But I don't immediately feel like it would make sense. If we lose Rico in the ED, then I could see Strome basically being an upgrade there for sure!

And yes, same haha I like reacting and thinking about it all and all that, but I also know that there are so many things going on that us fans never know about so that can really have an impact on decisions that seem odd to us but actually, in reality, make sense. I'm probably gonna wait till the entry draft for my judgement lol and then...probably actually wait till we see how the team starts the season!

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm still trying to get over the shock that WE want Deslauriers, much less that other GMs might want him enough to trade an actually good player for him.

I see why teams would want ND, low salary, better than average skillz for an enforcer.  You need guys like him to protect your young skill guys, like Zegras for example.  Protectable?  Not sure I get that but we have so many players on our roster that are expendable....why not?

Edited by WolfgangDuck

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So word is that there’s a potential Deslaurier deal worth a first round pick on the table???????? 

There’s no way. If Anaheim were to get a 2nd that would be a steal. Hopefully some GM is stupid enough to offer a 1st for him, and Murray is smart enough to accept. I just can’t believe he’s bringing a 1st back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

hahaha i just love the idea of Bob doing this for who knows what dumb, insignificant reason, and the rest of the NHL just being like "ohhhhhh what does it mean!??!?" but, so the rangers are about sign Goodrow...is Goodrow NOT the solution to the Tom Wilson problem? Not sure what having both would do. Unless Goodrow isn't as physical as I'm thinking.

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So word is that there’s a potential Deslaurier deal worth a first round pick on the table???????? 

Since our GM would be the one most likely to give up a first rounder for a player like Delauriers, I will chalk this up to Murray slipping Marek a couple hundos to make him look shrewd for once.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Since our GM would be the one most likely to give up a first rounder for a player like Delauriers, I will chalk this up to Murray slipping Marek a couple hundos to make him look shrewd for once.

best explanation so far...

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Hilarious that Lou Lamoriello protected Matt Martin over Jordan Eberle and Josh Bailey (one of their captains), but Anaheim’s fan base is crushing its GM for protecting Deslauriers over a 3rd pair D-man that we acquired in exchange for another 3rd pair D-man and a 6th round pick.