The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

Expansion Draft Predictions

15 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hilarious that Lou Lamoriello protected Matt Martin over Jordan Eberle and Josh Bailey (one of their captains), but Anaheim’s fan base is crushing its GM for protecting Deslauriers over a 3rd pair D-man that we acquired in exchange for another 3rd pair D-man and a 6th round pick.

well he couldn't have exactly protected Fleury over Deslauriers....that would have also removed probably Steel AND Jones. I do remember when we made that trade how some were pretty excited at the idea of Seattle taking Fleury 'cause it would mean we basically lost Hawk and a 6th in the ED.

I guess we all just got more excited for Fleury as he played with us lol the leafs did it right. Get McCann now. So fan couldn't have any attachement to him lol

• Like 2

Seravelli reporting that Seattle is signing Adam Larsson (EDM) and Jaime Oleksiak (DAL) as UFAs and that those two players will count as their ED selections. Does anyone know if signing a UFA counts towards the 20 contracts requirement? If not, I think this would give more support to Gorb’s theory that Volkov is the selection and he needed to be signed for Seattle to hit the 20 contracts. 

Today's the Day....ED Day(Expansion Draft Day)...Whoever our Ducks lose in this year's NHL Expansion Draft to the Squidheads I am sure people will move on or it becomes debatable...Eitherway Not gonna lie to you all but it's clear ones Squidheads may take are Henrique,Larsson,Grant or Fleury....Eitherway We should not be Shocked cause Ducks have lose Players before in the past...some regrettable others acceptable. So What the Squidsheads will look like OUR DUCKS should not take them LIGHTLY.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

42 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Seattle can't officially sign those guys until they are on their roster, so I have to believe those are their selections and do NOT count toward the 20 contracts.  I don't know if that will eventually prove me right about Volkov, but I think it will be harder than people think to get to 20 contracts while taking everyone they want.  A lot of the good young players available are RFAs.

I agree. I didn’t even consider this until I started trying to mock draft their selections. Good on you for pointing this out.

50 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I still don't buy that you need guys to protect anyone any more.  Dirty players are going to play dirty regardless of the number of "enforcers" you employ.  It's not like Deslauriers will ever be out there on the ice with Zegras (I hope).  These aren't the 80's and 90's when tough guys would actually make guys pay for their cheap shots and the league was okay with it.

Deslauriers seems like a good dude, and he's not completely useless.  But he's also not helping score goals.

I think the role has shifted but it’s still very useful. A guy like Wilson is most dangerous when emotions get heated and the games get chippy. When that happens, it helps to send out a Deslauriers to engage Wilson in a pre-planned fight, which then gets Wilson off the ice for 5 minutes. That’s frequently enough to calm the chippiness down so that the skill players can just play hockey. Pre-planned fights can be like releasing a pressure valve in a game that is teetering on the edge of being too dangerous.

I’ll also point out that Deslauriers had 12 goals the last two (partial) seasons, which is the same numbers of goals as Sam Steel. Except Deslauriers did it in almost 580 fewer minutes of TOI and with no PP time. He’s more useful for scoring goals than Steel is IMO.

• Thanks 2

With Adam Larsson signing with Seattle, Edmonton’s defense is shaping to be quite an adventure next year.

Also, selection details are starting to leak. Seattle will take Dunn over Tarasenko from St. Louis. McCann from Toronto and Carey Price remains a Hab.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

I’m bummed that we’re probably losing Fleury. I thought he looked pretty good and was a good partner for Drysdale. I hate Murray a little more every day. Regardless if he could’ve done anything differently 

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m bummed that we’re probably losing Fleury. I thought he looked pretty good and was a good partner for Drysdale. I hate Murray a little more every day. Regardless if he could’ve done anything differently 

I still think there's a deal in place and the Kracken select Henrique or maybe Shattenkirk. But then again a leprechaun made me coffee this morning and a unicorn is out on my front lawn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Seravelli reporting that Seattle is signing Adam Larsson (EDM) and Jaime Oleksiak (DAL) as UFAs and that those two players will count as their ED selections. Does anyone know if signing a UFA counts towards the 20 contracts requirement? If not, I think this would give more support to Gorb’s theory that Volkov is the selection and he needed to be signed for Seattle to hit the 20 contracts. 

what gorb said - from all the predictions i've seen, signing UFAs/RFAs not currently under contract with a team does not count as one of Seattle's 20 required contracts.  i've seen no distinction with regard to RFA.  i'm guessing the reasoning behind this tweak is to limit how many better players they can take out of the UFA/RFA pool and immediately trade?

19 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

With Adam Larsson signing with Seattle, Edmonton’s defense is shaping to be quite an adventure next year.

Also, selection details are starting to leak. Seattle will take Dunn over Tarasenko from St. Louis. McCann from Toronto and Carey Price remains a Hab.

huh.  Price is expensive, but if they don't pick him, i think that's a miss on their part.

McCann is who i thought they'd grab from Tor, and it might be part of a deal.

Dunn over Tarasenko... that doesn't seem as smart as it could have been, but shrug.

i still wonder if they'll take Stolarz from us, either ED pick or deal.  the goalie market seems remarkably dismal right now.

7 minutes ago, Fisix said:

huh.  Price is expensive, but if they don't pick him, i think that's a miss on their part.

Dunn over Tarasenko... that doesn't seem as smart as it could have been, but shrug.

i still wonder if they'll take Stolarz from us, either ED pick or deal.  the goalie market seems remarkably dismal right now.

They took Driedger, Daccord and Vitacek as the goalies according to the leaks right now. Seattle is likely to flip players also but their list so far is very interesting. Just waiting on the Ducks choice

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Yeah, I wonder if they went Danault or Drouin from the Habs...which wouldn't be a terrible grab by any means. I think McCann just straight up. Why do you think there would need to be a deal? Im a little shocked about Dunn over Tarasenko...Dunn isn't a terrible grab either though.

Looking at it all I DO think they take Fleury from us. I don't understand deals though lol

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Hey, you're certainly not going to get an argument from me about Steel.  I'm done with that guy.

I haven't given up on a Steel, despite being disappointed so far. the kid's 23...but I think he's playing himself into being a solid bottom 6 center, which is unfortunate for a 1st rounder, but in that role with less minutes I think he'd be pretty reliable. Right now, I'd put him as a 4th line C.

EDIT: well, if we still have Rico, and with Getz signing...I guess as the captain of the gulls? lol 

Edited by Jasoaks

this is where im seeing all my updates...he's got 24 players already on the thread (Giordano, Zaborov, Oleksiak, Larsson, Driedger, Cale Fleury, Daccord, Twarnyski, Tanev, Dunn, Gourde, McCann, Vanecek, Kole Lind, Geekie, Lauzon, Donskoi, Soucy, True, Bayreuther, Pitlick, Bastian)

all, obviously still rumors i guess lol

13 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

this is where im seeing all my updates...he's got 24 players already on the thread (Giordano, Zaborov, Oleksiak, Larsson, Driedger, Cale Fleury, Daccord, Twarnyski, Tanev, Dunn, Gourde, McCann, Vanecek, Kole Lind, Geekie, Lauzon, Donskoi, Soucy, True, Bayreuther, Pitlick, Bastian)

all, obviously still rumors i guess lol

The Athletic has a big board up already: https://theathletic.com/2720378/2021/07/21/who-did-the-seattle-kraken-select-in-the-nhl-expansion-draft/. 20 players listed as of this post.

I gotta say too, they are passing on a lot of good players. Wonder if they're planning to go hard in UFA instead. Or maybe there are even more side deals than we expected.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure this will all make more sense once the trades are announced, but someone will have to explain to me Seattle taking Morgan Geekie as their selection from Carolina when Jake Bean, Nino Niederreiter, and Jake Gardiner were all left exposed.

At this rate, I seriously think we have a chance at Seattle selecting Jacob Larsson.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

So pending UFA Hakanpaa and a 6th rounder. I'll take it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Seattle can't officially sign those guys until they are on their roster, so I have to believe those are their selections and do NOT count toward the 20 contracts.  I don't know if that will eventually prove me right about Volkov, but I think it will be harder than people think to get to 20 contracts while taking everyone they want.  A lot of the good young players available are RFAs.

The only guys SEA signs that count towards the 20 are guys who are under contract, So RFA's and UFA's do not count towards that threshold.

Getzlaf and Jones, if picked by SEA, would NOT count. Fleury or Heinen would, for example.

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Basically, yeah! I mean, I'd rather have kept Fleury than lose him. It's not like keeping our roster intact minus Hawk+6th was some...magical team lol but yeah, I'll take it. 

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

Yeah, makes sense.  I just hope at least one of Thrun and LaCombe turn into something, or that the team can finally figure out how to develop Mahura.

Eric Stephens reported that LaCombe is returning to college for his junior season. I have a bad feeling he's going to Jultz us.

I’m more annoyed at bad asset management than losing a huge player. Fleury played well here and is young and could’ve stabilized thay bottom pairing, but instead we have 5 more years of Larsson playing on this team it feels like. Murray has failed time and time again to manage his assets in a condusive way to this rebuild. If Deslaurier isn’t part of a trade, I’m going to be mad. He could’ve leveraged that last protection slot for a trade. Some teams made good deals using that, Murray couldn’t. He has got to go. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yep, I’ll take that any day.

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Eric Stephens reported that LaCombe is returning to college for his junior season. I have a bad feeling he's going to Jultz us.

Thrun is going back for his junior year also. If they don’t sign after this season then we could get Jultz’d twice in one year.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yup.  And if he signs back Hawk in FA for similar price as before, then a 6th rounder and a short-term loan.

4 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m more annoyed at bad asset management than losing a huge player. Fleury played well here and is young and could’ve stabilized thay bottom pairing, but instead we have 5 more years of Larsson playing on this team it feels like. Murray has failed time and time again to manage his assets in a condusive way to this rebuild. If Deslaurier isn’t part of a trade, I’m going to be mad. He could’ve leveraged that last protection slot for a trade. Some teams made good deals using that, Murray couldn’t. He has got to go. 

How would he have leveraged it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yep, I’ll take that any day.

Thrun is going back for his junior year also. If they don’t sign after this season then we could get Jultz’d twice in one season.

Thrun I understand due to his C19 situation, but LaCombe played a full college season and should be closer to NHL ready because of that. I dunno, for some reason I just have a bad feeling about LaCombe.