The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

Expansion Draft Predictions

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yep, I’ll take that any day.

Thrun is going back for his junior year also. If they don’t sign after this season then we could get Jultz’d twice in one season.

I'm not gonna worry about those two until they go back for their fourth year of college hockey.

Right now, for both of them, I think one more (full) season of college hockey will be good for their development, and then hopefully they will both be signing pro contracts around late March/early April.

• Like 1

so I feel this puts a lot of pressure on Mahura... basically BM made the trade to protect Mahura without protecting Mahura, which is a better way to do this than he did with Vegas. Using Theo to get rid of the Stoner contract, not lose any picks, and protect Manson and Vats.

Sooo...Mahura needs to be taking a big step to show he was worth this. Minor inconvenience to keep him, sure. But still. This was for you Mahura.

Manson did, he followed up that following year with 37 pts a +34. .....and then they went a took away his D coach.....

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Confused 1

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Thrun I understand due to his C19 situation, but LaCombe played a full college season and should be closer to NHL ready because of that. I dunno, for some reason I just have a bad feeling about LaCombe.

I think he will really fill a need on the left side in about two years - big frame, good hockey IQ, good hands and wheels. Hopefully that is what they are telling him and that is what he desires.

The Athletic now has 23 players listed, but something doesn't seem right here. They have to get to around $49M as a minimum but their current 23 players add up to only about $27M. Feels like some of these leaks are going to end up being wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Aren't they both already on their fourth year?  The COVID season doesn't count against their eligibility, so their junior year is their fourth year.  But maybe I'm wrong about that.

No, this upcoming campaign is the third year/season for both of them.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

The Athletic now has 23 players listed, but something doesn't seem right here. They have to get to around $49M as a minimum but their current 23 players add up to only about $27M. Feels like some of these leaks are going to end up being wrong.

incoming Seth Jones signing for $10mil and/or Eichel? lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

so I feel this puts a lot of pressure on Mahura... basically BM made the trade to protect Mahura without protecting Mahura, which is a better way to do this than he did with Vegas. Using Theo to get rid of the Stoner contract, not lose any picks, and protect Manson and Vats.

Sooo...Mahura needs to be taking a big step to show he was worth this. Minor inconvenience to keep him, sure. But still. This was for you Mahura.

Manson did, he followed up that following year with 37 pts a +34. .....and then they went a took away his D coach.....

I think Mahura has been pretty good when given the chance. The problem is that he never gets consistent looks. Larsson has been ahead of him for whatever reason, then Fleury. If this is truly opening the gate for Mahura to get the time he’s earned, then sure I’m good with it 

If those are the numbers, then, yeah, somebody is making up stories!

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

Now here's where I'm not sure of the rules - do they get to count free agents' salaries against that number?  So if they sign Adam Larsson to a $6 million deal, do they get to include that $6 million toward the minimum?

Yeah.  It may not show right now because there is no AAV number for Larsson's contract, but every contract on the NHL roster will count toward their cap.

Now here's where I'm not sure of the rules - do they get to count free agents' salaries against that number?  So if they sign Adam Larsson to a $6 million deal, do they get to include that $6 million toward the minimum?

I think the rule is they have to select 20 contracts worth between 60%-100% of the upper limit. So the 20 contracts and the value seem to be linked. If Larsson doesn't count as a contract, he shouldn't count towards the limit either, right?

I think the rule is they have to select 20 contracts worth between 60%-100% of the upper limit. So the 20 contracts and the value seem to be linked. If Larsson doesn't count as a contract, he shouldn't count towards the limit either, right?

I think the limit is calculated after your roster is compiled and your contracts are signed. So it can look low now, but they could have $20 mil in UFA/RFA deals just waiting to be inked.

• Like 1

Just now, tommer-1 said:

I think the limit is calculated after your roster is compiled and your contracts are signed. So it can look low now, but they could have $20 mil in UFA/RFA deals just waiting to be inked.

But that doesn't explain 23 players at $27 mil. That would be hard to make up! $40+ mil with 7 players?  Would that be right?

1 minute ago, tommer-1 said:

But that doesn't explain 23 players at $27 mil. That would be hard to make up! $40+ mil with 7 players?  Would that be right?

My bad. I thought the cap floor was around $60 mil.  It's $48.9 mil. Is that correct?  That seems low.

so wait...does this mean most teams didn't do any trades or deals with seattle?...or...is that to come? like...this is their selection...but then there might be a trade done later to get the selection back? ...i don't remember how it worked with Vegas but i feel like there were way more trades...

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

That's probably right, but I think they'll get there.  Eberle and Gourde get them half of the difference, so they've got to make up the remaining $11 million with five picks.

Watch them take one of Buffalo's boondoggles like Okposo as part of an Eichel trade.... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

so wait...does this mean most teams didn't do any trades or deals with seattle?...or...is that to come? like...this is their selection...but then there might be a trade done later to get the selection back? ...i don't remember how it worked with Vegas but i feel like there were way more trades...

Definitely trades coming. Some of those picks make zero sense unless they're part of a trade.

Like, no offense to Carson Twarynski, but Philly left Voracek, JVR, and Ghost Bear exposed. How is it possible Seattle just took Twarynski straight up??

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Trades could be coming... hold on to your butts!

I actually thought about that as I was looking at which teams haven't been leaked.  Taking Skinner or Okposo in order to facilitate an Eichel deal would be the nuclear option when it comes to weaponizing cap space.  Good on them if they can pull that off.

On a side note, how's it going with cramming your work in this morning before leaving on vacation tonight? :lol:

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Definitely trades coming. Some of those picks make zero sense unless they're part of a trade.

Like, no offense to Carson Twarynski, but Philly left Voracek, JVR, and Ghost Bear exposed. How is it possible Seattle just took Twarynski straight up??

thats what ive been thinking with Taransenko! and others...agreed....

4 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Trades could be coming... hold on to your butts!

sooo....we may even have more going on?

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Watch them take one of Buffalo's boondoggles like Okposo as part of an Eichel trade.... :ph34r:

I put the players listed in that one post down on capfriendly's calc and they are at $41 mil with BUF, CGY, CLB, DET, NSH, NYI, NYR, and SJS still on the table.

So, look out, Eichel is a real option!

31 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

This upcoming season is the year Mahura needs to start with the big club and prove himself. He should be playing ahead of Larsson at least. I'm guessing we will see something like Fowler/Manson, Lindholm/Drysdale, Mahura/Shattenkirk assuming we don't move any of the other defensemen.

Edited by nieder

Just now, tommer-1 said:

I put the players listed in that one post down on capfriendly's calc and they are at $41 mil with BUF, CGY, CLB, DET, NSH, NYI, NYR, and SJS still on the table.

So, look out, Eichel is a real option!

Now take out the ones that are UFAs and RFAs. Capfriendly lists them at their salary from last season, so it skews the calculation.

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

thats what ive been thinking with Taransenko! and others...agreed....

The thing with Tarasenko is that we know he wants out. So Seattle could put a trade package together using assets they get from all the side deals for the ED, and also take Dunn in the ED. 

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

This upcoming season is the year Mahura needs to start with the big club and prove himself. He should be playing ahead of Larsson at least. I'm guessing we will see something like Fowler/Manson, Lindholm/Drysdale, Mahura/Shattenkirk assuming we don't move any of the other defensemen.

hmmm....not the best, not the worst. Curious to see what a Lindhom/Drysdale pairing could do...could be pretty bad ass. Fowler/Manson we all know isn't great...and Mahura/Shatt makes sense...just thinking most experienced with someone who needs to a mentor.

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

The thing with Tarasenko is that we know he wants out. So Seattle could put a trade package together using assets they get from all the side deals for the ED, and also take Dunn in the ED. 

riiight, man, that would be interesting. Seattle could still end up with Tarasenko and Eichel lol

Now take out the ones that are UFAs and RFAs. Capfriendly lists them at their salary from last season, so it skews the calculation.

Zadorov, Oleksiak, Larsson, Driedger, Cale Fleury, Twarynski - Not huge at all, but a little unpredictable, so they might flip one or two.

And they can go cheap, outside of a big BUF contract plus Eichel's, on the other picks.

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Seravelli reporting that Seattle is signing Adam Larsson (EDM) and Jaime Oleksiak (DAL) as UFAs and that those two players will count as their ED selections. Does anyone know if signing a UFA counts towards the 20 contracts requirement? If not, I think this would give more support to Gorb’s theory that Volkov is the selection and he needed to be signed for Seattle to hit the 20 contracts. 

Why would they not just sign them as UFAs next week, and select other players from Edmonton and Dallas. Is there just no other players they want on those teams? Or did those teams send something to Seattle in exchange for taking their UFAs who were going to walk anyway?

Looks like it's final: Haydn Fleury will be taken by Seattle.

Amazing, ALL players Murray acquired the last 24 months wasn't even good enough to be on protection list.

Yay we get to keep Volkov? Really interesting to see the trades. We can replace Fleury in the draft easily?

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Welp, LeBrun says Seattle took William Borgen from Buffalo instead.

Seriously, are the "insiders" getting punked today? Starting to wonder if all of this sound a fury is a well orchestrated, well choreographed ruse by ESPN to get their NHL coverage off and running tonight. If these selections end up being wrong, that would be a HUGE payoff for ESPN. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, nieder said:

Do you really think Drysdale is going to play for the big club? I'm not sold on this just yet. 

Also, some seem to be complaining that Bob lost Fluery and it's a bad move. Idk Hawk +6th is pretty good. Sure he played well but I'm sure there must have been some kind of deal in place when we got him or that was just the plan. Seems like a pretty brilliant one to me if that's all we lose. If anything, I'd give Bob a gold star for his efforts here. Assuming that's the actual pick. Yeah we probably could have protected him but if there was a deal in place how would we be able to do that? Idk in a vacuum it seems like a very good move.