The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
dtsdlaw

Expansion Draft Predictions

3 minutes ago, Aksun said:

Yay we get to keep Volkov? Really interesting to see the trades. We can replace Fleury in the draft easily?

Swedish guy Edvinsson will be selected 3rd overall.  Murray loves to select defenseman at first round high picks. Low rick, "easy to trade' as he says.

Edited by FanSince1993

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

I think they got the ability to talk to the UFAs once they showed up on the exposed lists, and having that assurance is worth something.  That said, my guess is that they're getting a little something from those teams as enticement.

Could also be some respect among GMs. Signing a team's UFA and taking one of their players is going to make you no friends, and these GMs are still going to want to work together. What would be the point of Seattle signing Oleksiak and then also drafting another player that they don't really need and will just flip for a 5th rounder?

53 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yep, I’ll take that any day.

Thrun is going back for his junior year also. If they don’t sign after this season then we could get Jultz’d twice in one year.

you guys are so negative.  they basically had a zero year last season, so this isn't some kind of massive surprise.

12 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Zadorov, Oleksiak, Larsson, Driedger, Cale Fleury, Twarynski - Not huge at all, but a little unpredictable, so they might flip one or two.

And they can go cheap, outside of a big BUF contract plus Eichel's, on the other picks.

If the "insider" reports are true, and some trades are not made for some talent, I think SEA might really suck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think Drysdale will most likely be with the NHL team this season, although it's not a sure thing.

As for Fleury, I don't really buy the "Hakanpaa + a 6th" thing.  That's like trading half a soggy peanut butter sandwich for a pudding cup and then just shrugging your shoulders when someone takes your pudding cup.  It's still frustrating that he made a good move and then followed it up with a poor one to completely negate the good move.  At the end of the day, the Ducks are no worse off, so yes, that's some solace.  But they could have been better off with better decision making.  

I'm not torn up about it, but it's one of those little things that's adding to my frustration with Murray.

Are we sure the original acquisition of Fleury wasn't negotiated with Francis before the ED? If this ends up as part of a Henrique trade, it very well could have been scripted months and months ago.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I’m more annoyed at bad asset management than losing a huge player. Fleury played well here and is young and could’ve stabilized thay bottom pairing, but instead we have 5 more years of Larsson playing on this team it feels like. Murray has failed time and time again to manage his assets in a condusive way to this rebuild. If Deslaurier isn’t part of a trade, I’m going to be mad. He could’ve leveraged that last protection slot for a trade. Some teams made good deals using that, Murray couldn’t. He has got to go. 

BM did his best to get the Shatt or Larsson shiny enough to be acceptable to Seattle.  both played abysmally last season, relative to hopeful expectations.  Fleury was always a cover bet for the ED... unfortunately, he ended up a better fit for us than i think BM expected, so there's a bit of a sting right now.  it's silly to be mad about losing Fleury in the ED when we really don't have much value to offer Seattle right now, relative to what they can get elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

If the "insider" reports are true, and some trades are not made for some talent, I think SEA might really suck.

But according to the "insiders" I have only two teams left - DET and NYR - and only 17/20 players under contract in 2021/2022. 

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

It sounds like Vegas held teams hostage for months leading up to the draft and they haven't had any trouble making deals since then.  I understand not being complete jerks, but they also should be using their position to acquire as many assets as possible.  If I'm Seattle, I'm saying, "Yeah, we'll take your UFA who wasn't going to sign with you anyway, but toss us a lower round draft pick and we won't select a player and THEN sign your guy."

So yeah, there could be a measure of respect, but Seattle should be taking some advantage of their leverage.

Yeah. You don't try to beat teams just on the ice, after all.

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Definitely trades coming. Some of those picks make zero sense unless they're part of a trade.

Like, no offense to Carson Twarynski, but Philly left Voracek, JVR, and Ghost Bear exposed. How is it possible Seattle just took Twarynski straight up??

Who did VGK trade for?

I remember Marchesseault and Tuch and Theodore, who else?

55 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I'm not gonna worry about those two until they go back for their fourth year of college hockey.

Right now, for both of them, I think one more (full) season of college hockey will be good for their development, and then hopefully they will both be signing pro contracts around late March/early April.

Agreed. I don’t mind them going back to college for their junior years. Losing Fluery and probably moving some more defensemen between now and next summer would at least give those guys a clearer path to the NHL. It’s still a concern but both those guys played with Zegras and Sam Colangelo for Team USA so hopefully that connection helps us.

The Ducks may lose Blake McLaughlin (3rd rounder in 2018) since they have yet to sign him and he is entering his senior year.

If the reports are true, we essentially give Seattle a 6th round pick in exchange for selecting a pending ufa. We make out like bandits on this one imo. Besides, Bob was able to take a pending ufa and a 6th round pick and create enough value out of that for Seattle to get their guy. And some are hating that?

38 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I'm not gonna worry about those two until they go back for their fourth year of college hockey.

Right now, for both of them, I think one more (full) season of college hockey will be good for their development, and then hopefully they will both be signing pro contracts around late March/early April.

Wasn’t LaCombe a late convert to defensemen? So he/Ducks might want him to get more reps and experience. 

1 minute ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Wasn’t LaCombe a late convert to defensemen? So he/Ducks might want him to get more reps and experience. 

He was.

14 minutes ago, Fisix said:

BM did his best to get the Shatt or Larsson shiny enough to be acceptable to Seattle.  both played abysmally last season, relative to hopeful expectations.  Fleury was always a cover bet for the ED... unfortunately, he ended up a better fit for us than i think BM expected, so there's a bit of a sting right now.  it's silly to be mad about losing Fleury in the ED when we really don't have much value to offer Seattle right now, relative to what they can get elsewhere.

Like I said, I’m not specifically mad at losing Fleury. Just that Bob’s asset management has been VERY bad for years now. He just has failed to help this team, while this may not be the biggest offense, it is a minor one in a long list. 

7 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I filled in the DET and NYR picks. As best as I could do, I believe this is what the "insiders" Seattle Kraken draft will look like. We'll see if it matches up tonight.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/488461

thanks, but if that's where they end up, they've completely blown their ED.  there's got to be some other stuff going on or that team may fold in 3 years for lack of fans...

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Thrun is going back for his junior year also. If they don’t sign after this season then we could get Jultz’d twice in one year.

Kinda funny how Murray distrusts Russian players but has been burned by one and maybe more college players. On a side note, what happened with the big chatter on Seattle wanting Mahura? 

16 minutes ago, Fisix said:

you guys are so negative.  they basically had a zero year last season, so this isn't some kind of massive surprise.

I’m not worried…yet, but it’s going to be something to monitor after the college season, especially with the Ducks not signing McLaughlin who is entering his senior year at Minnesota. 

13 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think Drysdale will most likely be with the NHL team this season, although it's not a sure thing.

As for Fleury, I don't really buy the "Hakanpaa + a 6th" thing.  That's like trading half a soggy peanut butter sandwich for a pudding cup and then just shrugging your shoulders when someone takes your pudding cup.  It's still frustrating that he made a good move and then followed it up with a poor one to completely negate the good move.  At the end of the day, the Ducks are no worse off, so yes, that's some solace.  But they could have been better off with better decision making.  

I'm not torn up about it, but it's one of those little things that's adding to my frustration with Murray.

I’m at the point of “well, it’s not the worst move” is considered a win to me. Damage mitigation my measuring stick with GMBM and I’m content at the moment 

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

thanks, but if that's where they end up, they've completely blown their ED.  there's got to be some other stuff going on or that team may fold in 3 years for lack of fans...

Yeah, that roster looks pretty funky to me.

But, for the sake of full disclosure, I felt similarly about VGK's inaugural roster...

And I was FAAAAR from alone in that feeling.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Kinda funny how Murray distrusts Russian players but has been burned by one and maybe more college players. On a side note, what happened with the big chatter on Seattle wanting Mahura

i think Ducks fans (me included) overvalued Mahura, or undervalued Fleury.  alternative analysis: Seattle wanted the Fleury bros together and Fleury vs. Mahura was a coin flip.

the real question?  why wouldn't they get 3 Fleurys on one team given the chance!?!

Think about this when evaluating protecting Manson instead of Fleury:

Over the last three NHL seasons, Josh Manson and Jacob Larsson have almost identical stat lines - games played, goals, assists, plus/minus, SOG, Sht%. The only big discrepancy is TOI, with Manson averaging 21:04 and Larsson averaging 16:49.

So, how valuable is Manson again?

33 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

If that's the case, I feel better about it.  I don't know if we'll ever know, but that really is Hakanpaa+6th.  We were never going to keep Fleury in the first place.

At the time we picked Fleury, many of us suspected it was an ED deal.  I'm not certain why any of us are shocked. 

I'm just waiting to see if that's it, or if there was another piece with that handshake deal.  

4 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

So, how valuable is Manson again?

Locker room? Intangibles? ...Size?

2 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

At the time we picked Fleury, many of us suspected it was an ED deal.  I'm not certain why any of us are shocked. 

I'm just waiting to see if that's it, or if there was another piece with that handshake deal.  

Must be a Rico trade. Or a Volkov sweetener.

22 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i think Ducks fans (me included) overvalued Mahura, or undervalued Fleury.  alternative analysis: Seattle wanted the Fleury bros together and Fleury vs. Mahura was a coin flip.

the real question?  why wouldn't they get 3 Fleurys on one team given the chance!?!

I thought Mahura was the favorite for Seattle to take. My issue was him not getting NHL games while Larsson was surgically attached to the lineup and even Hutton. Seattle taking Fluery isn’t surprising, especially with his connection to Francis. 

Can’t complain about the Ducks first roster move of an extremely crucial offseason…but give it time!

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

24 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks, but to me this roster looks VERY weak/inexperienced at C and G.

Not really how you build a team.

3 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks, but to me this roster looks VERY weak/inexperienced at C and G.

Let's look at it in September

1 minute ago, tommer-1 said:

Agreed. I think it explains why Seattle was so anxious to sign Oleksiak and Larsson as UFAs. If those guys had waited until the roster was announced, maybe they'd don't sign! :lol:

Seriously, though, there has to be more coming. If nothing else, a few of those players need to be flipped. Several of those selection look like they have other players/picks/prospects attached to them too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I think it’s going to look different over the next 48 hours. Oh, there will be trades!

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed. I think it explains why Seattle was so anxious to sign Oleksiak and Larsson as UFAs. If those guys had waited until the roster was announced, maybe they'd don't sign! :lol:

Seriously, though, there has to be more coming. If nothing else, a few of those players need to be flipped. Several of those selection look like they have other players/picks/prospects attached to them too.

Yeah, I think the deals are gonna be where the rubber meets the road.

That roster just gives me the "blahs".