The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Volkov Extension via TSN

15 minutes ago, ChopSuey said:
Alexander Volkov, RW - Contract extended One-year contract extension   Hope that means we protected him

Either that, or he's the added piece of dump of Rico or Shatts contract to Seattle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Either that, or he's the added piece of dump of Rico or Shatts contract to Seattle.

True but why resign him first if he is trade bait?  I guess unless Seattle mandated it.

If Volkov was signed to satisfy the forward requirement (27/54 games + under contract) it would have to be because Bob is leaving at least one of Steel or Jones unprotected and is protecting three of Rico, Silf, Grant, and Deslauriers. Otherwise, this is just another RFA signing, unrelated to the ED.

Of those names to me Jones has the most upside.  At least he plays with heart, is young and drive the nets.  I wouldn't give you a bag of pucks for  Rico & Silf,

33 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It could also be because he's already made a deal for Volkov to be the player picked and Seattle wants him to be under contract so they can meet their requirement of selecting 20 contracted players.

Possibly, although looking over the lists I’d be surprised if Seattle flirts with that limit. 20 contracts should be easy with 30 selections.

And if that’s true, the trade terms aren’t likely to be great. You’d have to think that if Volkov is their guy, they’re demanding Anaheim retains a good chunk of Rico’s contract.

16 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

True but why resign him first if he is trade bait?  I guess unless Seattle mandated it.

Because they won't take an unsigned player.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Because they won't take an unsigned player.

well, between now and wednesday they can talk to all the exposed UFA/RFAs so theyre gonna know if he's interested in signing there or not

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

well, between now and wednesday they can talk to all the exposed UFA/RFAs so theyre gonna know if he's interested in signing there or not

But if he's already signed, they don't need to do that.  This makes it smell a lot like a deal is done.

• Like 3

Just now, gotchabari said:

But if he's already signed, they don't need to do that.  This makes it smell a lot like a deal is done.

oh true, good point. there's no question. I guess I don't understand the strategy here with signing Volkov to be taken with Rico's contract. Presumably Seattle wants neither....otherwise they can just take them since they are both unprotected. So, what's their incentive to take TWO players they don't want?

31 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Let's assume the Volkov signing was a precursor to taking him in the draft.  That would mean the Ducks already have a deal in place with Seattle, but we have no idea what that deal involves.  Everyone here is assuming it involves Henrique, since Bob Murray has made it clear he's got no time for the Ducks' best current goal scorer.  And I agree that is the most likely scenario.  Volkov and Henrique are both decent players - Henrique as a solid veteran who can score 20 - 25 goals on a second line and Volkov is a young guy who hasn't gotten the chance to truly flourish.  I could see Seattle wanting both.  But they can only select one in the draft, and if they take Henrique, there's no provision for them to get him at a reduced salary.  Instead, the Ducks can trade them Henrique (with salary retained) so that the Kraken will select Volkov in the draft.  Now they get both at a more palatable price.

But there could be other players or picks involved.  Maybe the Ducks want to keep everyone else and are giving up a 3rd rounder so that they'll take Volkov.  It's all just speculation at this point.  But I do think the Volkov extension and then subsequent exposure would be odd unless he's the one being selected.  And if Murray knows that, there's a deal in place.

huh interesting...so really this all with thinking BM wants to get rid of Rico. But, if Seattle wants Rico...why would BM do ANYTHING to sweeten the deal? There's no need to. That's what I mean by if BM has to sweeten the deal, then Seattle doesn't want either. Yeah, having 2 players instead of one that are both decent is great! But it makes no sense on BM's side if Seattle actually wants either of them. Just let Francis pick the one they want.

So, I guess this is all just thinking Bob wants Seattle to pick Rico. No choice in the matter. Take Rico. Here's Volkov to make sure that happens. Sounds...I dunno...not the way to do this? lol I mean, I'm with you, I'm fine with keeping Rico and/or Volkov. Just let Seattle pick the player they want and just move on! Let's stop with trying to make some deal with whatever so it's exactly what you want lol those seemed to all backfired with Vegas...

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Let's assume the Volkov signing was a precursor to taking him in the draft.  That would mean the Ducks already have a deal in place with Seattle, but we have no idea what that deal involves.  Everyone here is assuming it involves Henrique, since Bob Murray has made it clear he's got no time for the Ducks' best current goal scorer.  And I agree that is the most likely scenario.  Volkov and Henrique are both decent players - Henrique as a solid veteran who can score 20 - 25 goals on a second line and Volkov is a young guy who hasn't gotten the chance to truly flourish.  I could see Seattle wanting both.  But they can only select one in the draft, and if they take Henrique, there's no provision for them to get him at a reduced salary.  Instead, the Ducks can trade them Henrique (with salary retained) so that the Kraken will select Volkov in the draft.  Now they get both at a more palatable price.

But there could be other players or picks involved.  Maybe the Ducks want to keep everyone else and are giving up a 3rd rounder so that they'll take Volkov.  It's all just speculation at this point.  But I do think the Volkov extension and then subsequent exposure would be odd unless he's the one being selected.  And if Murray knows that, there's a deal in place.

It’s a good theory and makes sense, but I could see an alternate scenario whereby Bob has a deal in place with Seattle and he then contacts all of the players who the Ducks are keeping, but who will also be on the exposure list, to let them know they will be exposed but are still wanted by the organization. I’m so doing, he could have gotten some early work done on RFA negotiations, which is why Volkov’s new deal is $925K, which is well above his $700K qualifying offer. Could just be a showing of good faith to Volkov. 

I’m also a bit stumped as to why Seattle would agree to take Volkov over Fleury, Shattenkirk, or even Mahura. I dunno, maybe the Ducks are willing to retain more of Rico’s contract if it’s Volkov?

• Like 4

All I can say is that this GM couldn't organize a game of cards.  The "Ducks" that we knew are not going to be any sort of team with this guy making the moves.

It's really disheartening.

Delauriers?  Seriously?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

oh true, good point. there's no question. I guess I don't understand the strategy here with signing Volkov to be taken with Rico's contract. Presumably Seattle wants neither....otherwise they can just take them since they are both unprotected. So, what's their incentive to take TWO players they don't want?

I don't think that presumption is right.  I think they are okay with Rico, but don't like the price, so we throw in a decent player for cheap along with it.

The deals are generally packaged in a very lopsided manner.  The Kraken have leverage in that they get someone for nothing.  So if you want to make a deal,.you have to give 2 for near nothing.

So maybe it's Rico and Volkov for a 3rd.  Or, if we want the kraken to take all of Ricos contract, it could even include Fleury for another 3rd or 4th.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

huh interesting...so really this all with thinking BM wants to get rid of Rico. But, if Seattle wants Rico...why would BM do ANYTHING to sweeten the deal?

Because they kind of want him, and we want them to want him.  So, there is interest, but we have to throw in a little to sweeten it to have them get over over hesitation.  They could be keeping the whole contract, in which case we'd definitely give them something more. 

It could be that Volkov was signed and unprotected knowing someone else is tied up, as dtsd suggests, or it could be him.  

Either way, I think frenchy D being protected makes it obvious that something non-traditional will happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

If the Ducks retain some of Rico's contract then Seattle basically gets 2 for 1. Seattle needs minor league players as well so they could get Rico at a good price and a minor league player. that's already signed. Or we could be over speculating and Seattle just takes Fleury.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Of those names to me Jones has the most upside.  At least he plays with heart, is young and drive the nets.  I wouldn't give you a bag of pucks for  Rico & Silf,

I agree with you on Jones.  I give Silf the benefit of the doubt playing injured last year.  Rico and that contract can go.  I've lost faith in Steele too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoxxey said:

All I can say is that this GM couldn't organize a game of cards.  The "Ducks" that we knew are not going to be any sort of team with this guy making the moves.

It's really disheartening.

Delauriers?  Seriously?

I’m ok with ND getting protected.  At least he’s useful.  

• Like 2

***conspiracy theory alert****

Something happened between Henrique and FrenchyD during the season which caused Henry to be waived. It seemed like a pretty strange move to just flat out waive the guy. Now I think we're past the point of keeping him around, which seemed pretty obvious especially considering they were trying to trade him. As mentioned by others, he's still a productive 20 to 25 goal guy. Yeah his contract isn't great, but for the time being and his production it's not that bad... yet. So I think Bob needs to move him asap. And he's likely worked out a deal for Seattle to take him. Now by protecting Frenchy he's essentially saying as a parting wave that the organization sides with FrenchyD. That's why he protected him and not others. 

****conspiracy over

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

2 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

If the Ducks retain some of Rico's contract then Seattle basically gets 2 for 1. Seattle needs minor league players as well so they could get Rico at a good price and a minor league player. that's already signed. Or we could be over speculating and Seattle just takes Fleury.

Look what the Islanders paid to get rid of Ladds contract

21 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

If Volkov was signed to satisfy the forward requirement (27/54 games + under contract) it would have to be because Bob is leaving at least one of Steel or Jones unprotected and is protecting three of Rico, Silf, Grant, and Deslauriers. Otherwise, this is just another RFA signing, unrelated to the ED.

4 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Because they kind of want him, and we want them to want him.  So, there is interest, but we have to throw in a little to sweeten it to have them get over over hesitation.  They could be keeping the whole contract, in which case we'd definitely give them something more. 

It could be that Volkov was signed and unprotected knowing someone else is tied up, as dtsd suggests, or it could be him.  

Either way, I think frenchy D being protected makes it obvious that something non-traditional will happen.

Definitely this. They just spread the love with the protection list. No reason to protect who they did without a deal in place. 

I’m still hoping the Shatt is part of the deal. Not an entirely rational hope. 

4 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

lol Seattle doesn't do any of this and takes Larsson.... :P

5 hours ago, gotchabari said:

got it got it...I see what you're saying. Interesting...yeah, and if there's a deal in place non of this really matters anyway.

Although would be funny if nothing is going on and Seattle just takes like larsson or ...Milano lol

3 hours ago, Fowl said:

I’m ok with ND getting protected.  At least he’s useful.  

yeah honestly, I have nothing against ND, fine to have him and let him play less minutes........maybe don't put him out there when we need to score a goal to tie it in the final minutes.........

It's just more there truly was no risk of him getting plucked. So I' think im on the same side as a couple others here that it was more of a show to FrenchyD that his work ethic etc.... is appreciated. Probably 'cause it doesn't matter who is protected since there will be a deal.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

lol Seattle doesn't do any of this and takes Larsson.... :P

IF that is the case it will be blessing for our Ducks....Was wondering IF they are going to trade him in Package Deal.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

yeah honestly, I have nothing against ND, fine to have him and let him play less minutes........maybe don't put him out there when we need to score a goal to tie it in the final minutes.........

It's just more there truly was no risk of him getting plucked. So I' think im on the same side as a couple others here that it was more of a show to FrenchyD that his work ethic etc.... is appreciated. Probably 'cause it doesn't matter who is protected since there will be a deal.

No doubt his ED protection has a message.  I too doubt he would have been selected, but he's a useful energy player, and offers a degree of protection for younger skill players.  He can actually play a shift too without being too much of a liability.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Look what the Islanders paid to get rid of Ladds contract

True but they are also a playoff team looking to shed salary while the Ducks are dead last in the Western Conference. Rico's contract isn't hampering the Ducks unless a big move is in the works.

6 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

True but they are also a playoff team looking to shed salary while the Ducks are dead last in the Western Conference. Rico's contract isn't hampering the Ducks unless a big move is in the works.

Multiple big moves, locks to sign multiple big FA and hope that 5 assistants can help Eakins.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ike8228 said:

Multiple big moves, locks to sign multiple big FA and hope that 5 assistants can help Eakins.

That's the sad thing. Wouldn't it be less expensive to hire one good coach and two good assistants?

• Like 1