The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
WolfgangDuck

Ahlers/Murray interview

Anybody catch this?  Couple big things I took away from it was that Bob doesn't appeared to be interested in free agency much and all but said we will be making a trade of some sort.  Secondly and most importantly....Bob realizes we have to get back to our old identity.  That was music to my ears!!!  Get some heart and pride back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Anybody catch this?  Couple big things I took away from it was that Bob doesn't appeared to be interested in free agency much and all but said we will be making a trade of some sort.  Secondly and most importantly....Bob realizes we have to get back to our old identity.  That was music to my ears!!!  Get some heart and pride back!

Music to your ears? That´s basically BM saying he´s been screwing things up the last couple of years. Oh the NHL is getting faster. Let´s get Carl Hagelin and everything will be solved.

Our old identity? Good Lucky finding prime Getzlaf, healthy Kesler, healthy Manson and tough as nails Cogliano. Because that´s what we where. A good combination of size, strenght, skill and heart. I really don´t see that in our current group.

Of course BM isn´t interested in free agency. He probably wants to wait till everybody has signed to get a feel of the market. Why bother creating cap space in the first place then? 

Can´t wait to see we´ve traded Grant again. Probably for Gudbransson or Peterson. 

I really don´t want Eichel. For that I applaud BM because I´m pretty sure there´s been talks and that buffalo is asking for a king´s ransom. But I would have loved to take my chances on Jake Bean for a 2nd or Reinhart for a goalie prospect and a pick. 

I wouldn´t be surprised to read something in the coming days that there was a move lined up that fell through in the last second because of a bogus reason. 

End rant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

im all for getting some sort of identity back....and I love the physical identity we had with Getz/Perry etc...but I just don't feel like Zegras, Drysdale, Terry really fit into the old identity....maybe it's too soon to tell, but they come off as not big on the hitting...not that everyone has to be...but I feel building an identity that really works with Z, Dry, and Terry makes more sense than one around Comtois, Jones, and McTavish... i dunno, our 2007 team had a balance of skill/tough...so it could work.

...we better be great at the PK....

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

im all for getting some sort of identity back....and I love the physical identity we had with Getz/Perry etc...but I just don't feel like Zegras, Drysdale, Terry really fit into the old identity....maybe it's too soon to tell, but they come off as not big on the hitting...not that everyone has to be...but I feel building an identity that really works with Z, Dry, and Terry makes more sense than one around Comtois, Jones, and McTavish... i dunno, our 2007 team had a balance of skill/tough...so it could work.

...we better be great at the PK....

Ducks Better have that Snarl too....

T-Minus 82 Days tillour Ducks are UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I am done with Bob. ZERO confidence in GM who turned one of the best hockey team into NHL doormat. Next season will be lost anyways, and best thing for GM would be to do nothing until he retires next summer, so next GM will have some room under salary cap to work on signing some good players.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Well, we don't currently even have an identity so it would be a start but what terrifies me is an inference that he could be around longer to help manifest that identity or that it's an identity of a winning team. The 07' Ducks aren't the 20', 21' Lightning given the evolution of the game and Pronger/Niedermayer/Getzlaf/Perry/Selanne aren't walking through the door. We need an identity that has a lot of goals!

Why is the assumption he was talking about our 2006-07 identity? I immediately thought of 2013-2015, when we played a faster, harder, heavier forechecking game that turned more pucks over and made it harder for opponents to get speed through the neutral zone. This current group of 22-25 year olds are perimeter players that don’t forecheck hard enough. We’re too easy to play against right now.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Why is the assumption he was talking about our 2006-07 identity? I immediately thought of 2013-2015, when we played a faster, harder, heavier forechecking game that turned more pucks over and made it harder for opponents to get speed through the neutral zone. This current group of 22-25 year olds are perimeter players that don’t forecheck hard enough. We’re too easy to play against right now.

I immediately went there too, and would even go as far as 2017...just to give more of the Kesler years in there...but I was just looking back at 2007 and seeing how that team had the heavy identity mixed with high skill to have the balance of both which -- for having Z, Dry, and Terry -- feels more like we'd be going towards than not. Were we fast in 2013? or 2014? I feel definitely 2015 - 2017 we really weren't (which is probably why you didn't include 2 of those years lol)

I just don't see how our young stars fit into a heavy team -- without comparing it to 2007. I agree about our current group and I don't mind getting harder to play against and forechecking more. Z and Terry need a Kunitz then lol ....I guess Comtois, Z, Terry could be interesting. But McT w/ Comtois seems like a better fit right now in my mind. Maybe Jones could be more of a kunitz for Z/Terry

Bob is twisting the reality to suit his desired perception (Are the fans really gullible???).  The reality is the Ducks wont do much in the FA market because the market will reject the Ducks.  With all the choices the FA players have, why would you go to a team that is still 2-3 years from competing?  Nobody with a brain would unless its a straight over payment (which Bob is an expert in).  In addition the reason we have not had success in trading is Bob over valued players paid them to much and now is unable to trade them for reasonable value.  Please tell me we are collectively smarter than Bob!

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Music to your ears? That´s basically BM saying he´s been screwing things up the last couple of years. Oh the NHL is getting faster. Let´s get Carl Hagelin and everything will be solved.

Our old identity? Good Lucky finding prime Getzlaf, healthy Kesler, healthy Manson and tough as nails Cogliano. Because that´s what we where. A good combination of size, strenght, skill and heart. I really don´t see that in our current group.

Of course BM isn´t interested in free agency. He probably wants to wait till everybody has signed to get a feel of the market. Why bother creating cap space in the first place then? 

Can´t wait to see we´ve traded Grant again. Probably for Gudbransson or Peterson. 

I really don´t want Eichel. For that I applaud BM because I´m pretty sure there´s been talks and that buffalo is asking for a king´s ransom. But I would have loved to take my chances on Jake Bean for a 2nd or Reinhart for a goalie prospect and a pick. 

I wouldn´t be surprised to read something in the coming days that there was a move lined up that fell through in the last second because of a bogus reason. 

End rant.

Exactly....He blows more smoke and the amazing part is upper management and ownership buy it?  Henry Samueli is super smart in his field but not to strong on common sense.  Common sense isn't common.

• Like 2

It's well known I am no BM fan and have criticized him constantly for trying to make a team led by Getzy and Perry to a "faster" team.  It's led us to where we are today, a disaster.  He should have been fired for what he did to the team.  But if we're stuck with him....at least he's off this crazy notion of speed, speed, speed at any cost.  I like the McTavish pick a lot now.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

It's well known I am no BM fan and have criticized him constantly for trying to make a team led by Getzy and Perry to a "faster" team.  It's led us to where we are today, a disaster.  He should have been fired for what he did to the team.  But if we're stuck with him....at least he's off this crazy notion of speed, speed, speed at any cost.  I like the McTavish pick a lot now.

He is Stubborn Bob and McTavish Pick by our Ducks I look forward to see how well he develops.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

46 minutes ago, ChopSuey said:

Bob is twisting the reality to suit his desired perception (Are the fans really gullible???).  The reality is the Ducks wont do much in the FA market because the market will reject the Ducks.  With all the choices the FA players have, why would you go to a team that is still 2-3 years from competing?  Nobody with a brain would unless its a straight over payment (which Bob is an expert in).  In addition the reason we have not had success in trading is Bob over valued players paid them to much and now is unable to trade them for reasonable value.  Please tell me we are collectively smarter than Bob!

The WORST thing a team can do imo is build through the FA market. Sign a FA when you're a playoff team challenging for a cup. Not during a rebuild. To want to sign some 28,29,30+ year old to a 6,7 year contract makes absolutely no sense. 

Murray comment on McTavish..."he's ready to play with men."  Look for him to start with the Gulls this upcoming season. 

12 minutes ago, dukitup said:

The WORST thing a team can do imo is build through the FA market. Sign a FA when you're a playoff team challenging for a cup. Not during a rebuild. To want to sign some 28,29,30+ year old to a 6,7 year contract makes absolutely no sense. 

Murray comment on McTavish..."he's ready to play with men."  Look for him to start with the Gulls this upcoming season. 

Since he's playing in the CHL, I'm pretty sure that he won't be able to go to the Gulls until after his junior season is over even with the new agreement that the leagues are finalizing. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Since he's playing in the CHL, I'm pretty sure that he won't be able to go to the Gulls until after his junior season is over even with the new agreement that the leagues are finalizing. 

50/50 chance he sticks with the Ducks IMO. Could be the only one from this draft class to do it. He already has NHL size. 6’1” 207lbs and he turns 19 in January. He’s too big to go back to Juniors. I wonder if he can go back to the Swiss league if he doesn’t stick in Anaheim?

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

50/50 chance he sticks with the Ducks IMO. Could be the only one from this draft class to do it. He already has NHL size. 6’1” 207lbs and he turns 19 in January. He’s too big to go back to Juniors. I wonder if he can go back to the Swiss league if he doesn’t stick in Anaheim?

Good question. I'd really like for him to be able to do that instead of going back to juniors. There's no CHL deal with European pro leagues like there is with the AHL and I'd like to think that Petersborough would just retain his rights if he came back from overseas.

He's certainly got NHL size, but I don't think he's sticking with Ducks this year. He might get a his 9-game cup of coffee but he as with most prospects his age, he'd have to be so undeniably good for the Ducks to give him an extended look. IMO, he's got a very high bar to clear in beating out veteran players. Hope he can do it though.

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Good question. I'd really like for him to be able to do that instead of going back to juniors. There's no CHL deal with European pro leagues like there is with the AHL and I'd like to think that Petersborough would just retain his rights if he came back from overseas.

He's certainly got NHL size, but I don't think he's sticking with Ducks this year. He might get a his 9-game cup of coffee but he as with most prospects his age, he'd have to be so undeniably good for the Ducks to give him an extended look. IMO, he's got a very high bar to clear in beating out veteran players. Hope he can do it though.

This kid is ROR minus the Lady Byng nominations. He can absolutely beat out veteran players for a roster spot. Just like ROR, he may need time for his offense to really kick in, but he’s ready to handle the physicality and speed of the NHL game now. I could totally see him making the team in a bottom-6 winger role like Kesler did his draft season in Vancouver. If Getzlaf returns as a 3/4C, why wouldn’t we put McTavish and Getzlaf together on a 3rd or 4th line?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This kid is ROR minus the Lady Byng nominations. He can absolutely beat out veteran players for a roster spot. Just like ROR, he may need time for his offense to really kick in, but he’s ready to handle the physicality and speed of the NHL game now. I could totally see him making the team in a bottom-6 winger role like Kesler did his draft season in Vancouver. If Getzlaf returns as a 3/4C, why wouldn’t we put McTavish and Getzlaf together on a 3rd or 4th line?

The future is NOW!

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I like this a lot.

18 minutes ago, nieder said:

I like this a lot.

I agree. Getz is his idol, what a better way to enter the league. Mentored by your idol in sheltered minutes.

11 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Much prefer our second round choices to Bean, and wouldn't have given up our 1st round pick as FLA did for Reinhart.  Way too rich.

Sometimes you're just not in the right position to make a certain trade.

5 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I am done with Bob. ZERO confidence in GM who turned them into one of the best hockey teams at the expense of having to be a into NHL doormat for a few years. Next season will be lost anyways, and best thing for GM would be to do nothing until he retires next summer, so next GM will have some room under salary cap to work on signing some good players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

As he picked or traded for the current group of 22-25 year olds and Eakins was their coach in San Diego, shouldn't they have this identity that BM desires? 

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I hope that McTavish is the love-child of ROR and Getzlaf but even if he can handle the physicality of the NHL right now, him handling the rest of the game of the NHL level isn't something that I'd bet on come October. It is going to be a huge transition with speed, skating, timing and decision making. Right now, our bottom-six are Jones, Heinen, Volkov, Grant, Lundestrom, Steel, Getzlaf, Deslauriers, Milano. It doesn't include guys like Groulx or Carrick either. Maybe Murray will move on from some of them to make the path a little easier but there are still going to be quite a few players that McTavish will have to beat out. I hope that he can but it's not a necessity for him to make the NHL from day 1 and stay there.

Being Mentor by Getz will help in his Developement...he and other Young Ducks are our Future...OUR NEXT GENERATION.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

yes! mcTavish on the same line as Getz....sounds amazing to me. Get his feet wet on the wing....and then switch him to C at some point...this sounds like a fantastic plan.

Maybe bring perry back and put him on the rw................. :ph34r:

19 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

During those years the Ducks dominated on the faceoff. They had the most overtime wins in the league. They would crush opponents with their dump and chase forechecking.  Then the league Changed faceoffs, changed the icing rules, and introduced the three man overtime. All of which impacted the Ducks more than any other team. Many hockey fans say the shootout is too gimmicky, I would argue the three man overtime is much worse. My point being too many rules have been changed for the Ducks from 2013-2015  to do as well as they did then. If that makes sense?

3 Days till Free Agent Frenzy......So I am expecting Stubborn Bob will "Try" to make a Trade.

T-Minus 81 Days till ANAHEIM DUCKS ARE UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1