The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

Ducks Prospect Catch All

20 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

He projects as a LW, so half those guys you mentioned are not really his direct competition for a roster spot. And of the remaining guys who can (or should) play LW - Jones, Comtois, Steel, Tracey, Galimov, Badini, and McTavish - I think he'd fit right into the competition. Steel may not have a future here. Galimov may stay in Russia. Badini is already 23 and was sent down to the ECHL last season. And McTavish will hopefully end up playing center. It's also just a shame to lose an asset. McLaughlin had 28 points in 31 games last season and he could certainly improve on that this season. So there's value there, and you'd hate to see that vanish into thin air.

So he's 8th on the depth chart at LW.  Not counting Rakell, Milano and Deslauriers, and Volkov, who is listed as LW/RW.  Basically 9 spots at LW in the organization (if none of the other wingers or centers you scratched out go RW/LW) and currently, since he isn't signed, he's around 11th or so, barring any player movement.  He could move way up that list, but since he hasn't signed a contract, I'm guessing he's pretty low.

It would stink to lose the asset, but I have to wonder if there is a reason he is playing this out.  Maybe just to have the option, but maybe not seeing a future in ANA.  Hopefully he just wants to play his 4 seasons at MINN and then ink his pro contract.

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

In hockey or at the buffet?  McTavish looks like he can put down some chili dogs.

He kind of looks like Phil Kessel. I really don't care how many chili dogs, hot dogs or corn dogs he can put down as long as he can put the puck in the net. But why #37? That's just putting a hex on him now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Duck-Fan said:

Hopefully he has better results than the last number 37 🙏

This has to be intentional, right? Why would they give him that number? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

So he's 8th on the depth chart at LW.  Not counting Rakell, Milano and Deslauriers, and Volkov, who is listed as LW/RW.  Basically 9 spots at LW in the organization (if none of the other wingers or centers you scratched out go RW/LW) and currently, since he isn't signed, he's around 11th or so, barring any player movement.  He could move way up that list, but since he hasn't signed a contract, I'm guessing he's pretty low.

It would stink to lose the asset, but I have to wonder if there is a reason he is playing this out.  Maybe just to have the option, but maybe not seeing a future in ANA.  Hopefully he just wants to play his 4 seasons at MINN and then ink his pro contract.

From 2009-2017 thirteen draft picks didn't sign an ELC with Anaheim. I don't know if that's because they weren't offered one or because they didn't want to sign one but it's not uncommon.

16 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Deslauriers is 30, in the last year of his contract, and is trade bait. He'll be gone before McLaughlin graduates. Volkov also prefers RW and Milano has concussion issues and will be a UFA after the 2022-23 season. Realistically, I'd project McLaughlin to be about 5th or 6th on the depth chart heading into the 2022-23 season, depending on what happens with Steel and McTavish and if Milano ever gets his health sorted out. Early returns on Tracey haven't sounded promising thus far either, and if Steel and McTavish remain at C then I think he'd suddenly be right in the mix for a 3rd line LW spot with the Ducks. He's apparently got a pretty good shot too, which is kind of the Achilles heel of our LW group outside of Comtois, isn't it?   

Then again, maybe he's waiting to commit until he sees what GMBM does in the trade market. Same as we all are. Day after day. Hour after hour. <_<

6 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

From 2009-2017 thirteen draft picks didn't sign an ELC with Anaheim. I don't know if that's because they weren't offered one or because they didn't want to sign one but it's not uncommon.

Aside from Jultz, any of those guys taken before the 4th round?

Edit: Looks like only one - Brent Gates, 3rd round in 2015.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I thought Nattinen did sign with the Ducks but was released from the contract because he didn't want to play in North America. So Gates is the only one so far picked by Murray to not sign.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

did Jultz ever amount to anything?  i can't find the right google-fu at the moment.

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

did Jultz ever amount to anything?  i can't find the right google-fu at the moment.

2-time stanley cup champion Justin Shultz....

• Like 1

looks like from his stats he's been a Henrique level player, except for maybe on stand out year.

now i feel old.

If you've got a subscription to The Athletic (highly recommended, if you can afford it), the Ducks did well on some prospect rankings by Scott Wheeler.  They had four on his list (which basically ranked 60 players if you combine the skater and goalie lists), which is only trailing the Red Wings (five players), and tied with the Kings and Wild.  The quality of their prospects is notable in that each of the other teams that had a lot of ranked prospects had at least one guy further down the list, but all three of the Ducks skaters were in the top 21 (Zegras at 4, Drysdale at 17, McTavish at 21).  Dostal was the 7th ranked goalie prospect.

https://theathletic.com/2723291/2021/08/16/nhl-top-50-prospects-2021-edition-byfield-caufield-and-power-headline-wheelers-drafted-skaters-ranking/

https://theathletic.com/2723299/2021/08/17/nhl-top-10-goalie-prospects-2021-edition-askarov-and-knight-lead-wheelers-ranking-of-the-best-drafted-goalies/

A couple of thoughts - Wheeler has some concerns about both Drysdale and McTavish being top pairing/top line guys.  His comments on Drysdale in particular are a little bit worrisome in that I've heard them before - he does great work on the offensive blueline but isn't necessarily a great shooter or a guy with elite vision, so it's hard to say what his offensive upside truly is.  And he's not projected to be a shutdown guy on defense either.  The 17th ranked prospect is good, and there is clearly potential, but it's hard to see what Drysdale's going to be.

As for McTavish, he had him ranked 10th in this draft, so he thinks the Ducks took him too high, but not egregiously so.  If the Ducks had taken Perfetti instead of Drysdale last year, and Kent Johnson or Brandt Clarke this year, they'd have three of his top 7 ranked prospects.

It's hard to complain about three of the top 21 plus a goalie, but it's notable that the Ducks didn't have anyone else in the honorable mentions, either.  Once you get past McTavish and Dostal, they'll need to get some contributions from guys who develop.  Can either Thrun or LaCombe become 2nd pairing guys, if they even sign?  Does Mahura ever put it together?  Is there anyone else who can play the right side behind Drysdale once Manson and Shattenkirk are gone (hopefully)?  They did take some interesting forwards in later rounds of this most recent draft, but I worry about the Ducks' ability to develop those guys.

The Kings are still stacked - Byfield is at the top of his rankings, plus Clarke is ranked 7th, and then Kaliyev and Turcotte are 25 and 30.  Such a shame that the Ducks didn't grab Kaliyev when they had the chance in the draft.  The nice thing is that the Kings are in goalie limbo - Quick isn't completely toast, but he's crisping, and Petersen isn't the long-term answer.  They don't have anyone in the pipeline who looks like the answer, so they'll have to go outside the organization to find a goalie  Meanwhile, the Ducks have Dostal.  I've posed it before on here, but if the Kings are ready to compete this year or next and they weren't the Ducks' division and geographic rivals, a trade between organizations would make a ton of sense.  Give Dostal some time in Anaheim as the backup this season to see what you've got.  If he looks like the real deal, trade Gibson to the Kings for a couple of prospects (they have a couple of decent RHDs in the system, plus a boatload of forward prospects).  But that trade will never, ever happen.

If the Wild manage their assets well, they could be good for a long time.  I'm not as convinced on the Red Wings, but they've definitely got a lot of guys coming up through the system.

• Thanks 1

Interesting stuff, but these lists always seem incomplete to me because he doesn't include players who are already full-time NHLers. For example, Hughes, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, and Turcotte were all centers drafted in the top-10 in 2019, but only Zegras and Turcotte are on Wheeler's list because the other three he considers to be full-time NHL players who are exempt. I also think Wheeler has a bit of a recency bias. Does anyone really think that 5 of the top-10 current prospects were just drafted in 2021? I think he has a tendency to elevate players on the list who are more recent picks because he has more fun imagining that their abilities/skills will translate well to the pro game, when the reality is that many will not translate as well as he thinks. That could be especially true with this draft class, since so many of them didn't play that much meaningful hockey over the past year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Interesting stuff, but these lists always seem incomplete to me because he doesn't include players who are already full-time NHLers. For example, Hughes, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, and Turcotte were all centers drafted in the top-10 in 2019, but only Zegras and Turcotte are on Wheeler's list because the other three he considers to be full-time NHL players who are exempt. I also think Wheeler has a bit of a recency bias. Does anyone really think that 5 of the top-10 current prospects were just drafted in 2021? I think he has a tendency to elevate players on the list who are more recent picks because he has more fun imagining that their abilities/skills will translate well to the pro game, when the reality is that many will not translate as well as he thinks. That could be especially true with this draft class, since so many of them didn't play that much meaningful hockey over the past year. 

I think he may be overestimating the 2021 draftees a little bit, but that ratio doesn't seem crazy to me when you consider that the top three guys in any given draft have a pretty good shot of playing immediately in the NHL, which is why the top 3 from 2019 and two of the top 3 from 2020 have graduated.  So if you expect that 3.33 come from each of the last three drafts, only the current draft is guaranteed to get its top three in his top ten, and then you're filling out the remaining seven spots from the prior three drafts.  

As for the completeness, it's a prospect list and you have to make your cutoff somewhere.  He happened to keep Zegras and Drysdale on there but graduated those other guys.  It seems reasonable, but of course with any of these things, you need to put them in context.  Chicago doesn't have anyone on the list because Dach graduated, but the fact that they don't have anyone there tells you something - they're in trouble if they don't start winning again really soon.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

You want to get a slap in the face, look at how much hockey the Ducks #3 overall pick has played in the last two years.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

and i think he's way too pessimistic on Drysdale, given what we saw last season.  

aside from players where Scott Wheeler's critiques don't seem to match up with visible evidence, i feel like his evals (stated here above) are reaching the edges of unwarrantedly optimistic or pessimistic... just off, and unjustifiably so.

just a reminder that Mahura spent a huge amount of time on the taxi squad last season.  i'm hoping that the new assistants and gulls coaches will rap the resulting rust off right quick.  i want a solid decision on him this year, whether it's our development failure or his, up or out.  if we play Larsson more than Mahura after the first two month of the NHL season, i'm going to be grumbling.  Mahura needs to be playing every single game he can get his hands on, NHL or AHL.

Pronman has the Ducks ranked at #10 in his NHL Pipeline rankings for 2020-21 over at The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/2799338/2021/09/01/nhl-pipeline-rankings-no-10-anaheim-ducks-have-difference-makers-coming-up-in-the-system/. Pronman has only ranked up to #9 (Detroit) as of this post, but #11-15 are Montreal, Dallas, Columbus, Arizona, and Minnesota in that order. Still TBD are LA, Colorado, NYR, Islanders, Vancouver, Ottawa, Carolina, and Buffalo.

Ducks players ranked in order are: Zegras, Drysdale, McTavish, Comtois, Groulx, Dostal, Zellweger, Colangelo, Lundestrom, Pastujov, Perreault, LaCombe, McLaughlin. Guys like Thrun and Tracey are lumped in at the end under the "may have a chance to play at the NHL level" section.

Note: "Player eligibility is determined by age. A player is eligible if they are 22 years of age or younger as of Sept. 15, 2021. This encompasses almost every prospect selected between the 2017 and 2021 NHL drafts. This is used to include a team’s top prospects, without aggressively graduating players who have a lot of prime development years ahead of them, even if they are already in the NHL."

Edited by dtsdlaw

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Pronman has the Ducks ranked at #10 in his NHL Pipeline rankings for 2020-21 over at The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/2799338/2021/09/01/nhl-pipeline-rankings-no-10-anaheim-ducks-have-difference-makers-coming-up-in-the-system/. Pronman has only ranked up to #9 (Detroit) as of this post, but #11-15 are Montreal, Dallas, Columbus, Arizona, and Minnesota in that order. Still TBD are LA, Colorado, NYR, Islanders, Vancouver, Ottawa, Carolina, and Buffalo.

Ducks players ranked in order are: Zegras, Drysdale, McTavish, Comtois, Groulx, Dostal, Zellweger, Colangelo, Lundestrom, Pastujov, Perreault, LaCombe, McLaughlin. Guys like Thrun and Tracey are lumped in at the end under the "may have a chance to play at the NHL level" section.

Note: "Player eligibility is determined by age. A player is eligible if they are 22 years of age or younger as of Sept. 15, 2021. This encompasses almost every prospect selected between the 2017 and 2021 NHL drafts. This is used to include a team’s top prospects, without aggressively graduating players who have a lot of prime development years ahead of them, even if they are already in the NHL."

Being in Top Ten of NHL Pipeline Talent is not bad imho...It's Pretty Good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

One thing the Ducks should learn from a player currently in the headlines:

When you reach on a #3 overall pick - and both McTavish and Kotkaniemi were reaches at #3 overall - you should not rush them to the NHL.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

One thing the Ducks should learn from a player currently in the headlines:

When you reach on a #3 overall pick - and both McTavish and Kotkaniemi were reaches at #3 overall - you should not rush them to the NHL.

But apparently it's ok to make the #9 overall pick your #1C when he's 20, instead of going out and acquiring a legit top-6 centerman to take the pressure off of him because it might screw with your draft odds the following year.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Pronman is definitely much lower on Ducks prospects than Wheeler.  Which doesn't mean he's wrong, but it's sobering to read his analysis of the Ducks' system.  If his analysis and projections are correct, the Ducks are going to be the slowest team in the league in three years (plus Drysdale).  He's very down on Perreault as a prospect compared to other things I've read.  The most promising take was his analysis of Groulx.  That was nice to read.  Otherwise, this kind of saddened me.  A team that just had a season as bad as the Ducks should have a top five system if they want to turn things around quickly.

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

But apparently it's ok to make the #9 overall pick your #1C when he's 20, instead of going out and acquiring a legit top-6 centerman to take the pressure off of him because it might screw with your draft odds the following year.

I think it depends on the player and the situation, and I don't think these are anywhere close to analogous.  Kotkaniemi was coming over from Finland and got thrown out there under the microscope in Montreal as an 18-year-old.  Zegras is 20, has half an NHL season under his belt, and will be playing in Anaheim, where, as hard as it is to admit as an Anaheim resident and die-hard fan, the attention and scrutiny will be roughly 1/1,000th the amount that Kotkaniemi got.  

The demeanor of the player matters as well.  I don't know a ton about Kotkaniemi other than that he's from Finland, but I've read plenty of interviews that Zegras conducted.  That kid has confidence coming out his rear.  I came out as critical of his brashness during the WJC (as I saw it), but now having seen him on the ice, it doesn't seem to manifest as arrogance so much as it does being completely driven to succeed and knowing that he can.  I don't think a rough season leading a team is going to phase him one bit.  In fact, I think he craves that responsibility.  I don't have any problem going into the season with Zegras being the number one center, especially with Getzlaf still here to throw his weight around if necessary.

All that said, McTavish is in a different situation.  He's only 18 and didn't play nearly as much over the last two years with the pandemic.  The team had better be absolutely sure that he's ready before they throw him out there.

Well, I did say "should"... 😂

In all seriousness, I hope that they are slotting Henrique at #1 C, or Getzlaf (though that doesn't really help with "moving forward" so much) for at least the first half of this season.  Get Zegras away from unfavorable matchups and too many D-zone FO's.  That Comtois/Zegras/Terry line should be their #2/#3 line, while getting good minutes, and Zegras should get #1 PP duty as a guy on the wall/wing.

We'll see.

13 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Well, I did say "should"... 😂

In all seriousness, I hope that they are slotting Henrique at #1 C, or Getzlaf (though that doesn't really help with "moving forward" so much) for at least the first half of this season.  Get Zegras away from unfavorable matchups and too many D-zone FO's.  That Comtois/Zegras/Terry line should be their #2/#3 line, while getting good minutes, and Zegras should get #1 PP duty as a guy on the wall/wing.

We'll see.

I agree with this as well - I don't think Zegras is going to be thrust fully into a traditional #1C role at the beginning of the season.  I don't expect him to be playing 20 minutes a night against the opponents' best d-men when the Ducks can avoid it.  He'll play 16-18 minutes and get some sheltering when it can be done.

49 minutes ago, Gorbachav55 said:

I agree with this as well - I don't think Zegras is going to be thrust fully into a traditional #1C role at the beginning of the season.  I don't expect him to be playing 20 minutes a night against the opponents' best d-men when the Ducks can avoid it.  He'll play 16-18 minutes and get some sheltering when it can be done.

It won't surprise me this season..Z-man will be mentor and learn to contribute to the Ducks Cause....imho. Zegras I feel is the future as do Drysdale.....and Talent Pool for our Ducks is Strong.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 9/1/2021 at 1:23 PM, Gorbachav55 said:

Pronman is definitely much lower on Ducks prospects than Wheeler.  Which doesn't mean he's wrong, but it's sobering to read his analysis of the Ducks' system.  If his analysis and projections are correct, the Ducks are going to be the slowest team in the league in three years (plus Drysdale).  He's very down on Perreault as a prospect compared to other things I've read.  The most promising take was his analysis of Groulx.  That was nice to read.  Otherwise, this kind of saddened me.  A team that just had a season as bad as the Ducks should have a top five system if they want to turn things around quickly.

I can't help but wonder if guys like Perreault got dinged for playing in the AHL too early. Like, if Perreault puts up big numbers against a bunch of 17- and 18-year-old kids in the OHL instead of transitioning to the pro game in the AHL, where is he on this list? Probably much higher. That said, the one super disappointing write-up for me was Dostal's: 

Dostal went in the third round because he’s a 6-foot-1 goalie without tremendous quickness for his size. I’ve always liked him but it took time to come around on how good his NHL projection could be because of his athletic limitations. He continues to have success at various pro levels, giving more hope he can do it in the NHL. He’s successful due to his tremendous hockey sense. His ability to read the play and anticipate how the offense is attacking is clear NHL quality. Despite not being big, he seems to always find a way to square up pucks even off tough passing plays, and has enough quickness and desperation to make some tough saves. He let in a few too many long-range goals last season, but his home plate play was tremendous. He projects as a low-end starting goaltender or a great backup option.

Yeesh. Hanging around these boards, I was under the impression that Dostal was going to be the next great Ducks starting netminder. If he's going to end up being a low-end starter, and if the Ducks are going to let Gibby's window swing closed without putting a solid team in front of him, this organization is in trouble. Especially with how thin their prospect depth is on defense.

Edited by dtsdlaw

I can't help but wonder if guys like Perreault got dinged for playing in the AHL too early. Like, if Perreault puts up big numbers against a bunch of 17- and 18-year-old kids in the OHL instead of transitioning to the pro game in the AHL, where is he on this list? Probably much higher. That said, the one super disappointing write-up for me was Dostal's: 

Yeesh. Hanging around these boards, I was under the impression that Dostal was going to be the next great Ducks starting netminder. If he's going to end up being a low-end starter, and if the Ducks are going to let Gibby's window swing closed without putting a solid team in front of him, this organization is in trouble. Especially with how thin their prospect depth is on defense.

I'm not at all concerned by the Dostal write-up.  First, others have ranked him in the top 10 in goalie prospects (Wheeler had him 6th or 7th), which is good.  Second, goalie evaluation is a crapshoot for these guys who seem to be a lot better at analyzing skaters.  Third, to me this reads as "capable starter."  I'm of the opinion that all you need to win the Cup is a goalie who is consistent and capable, and one that can preferably get hot, but really just won't lose you games.  It's no guarantee that Dostal becomes that, but this doesn't sway me from thinking he can. 

If the goalie trade market weren't so unpredictable, I'd be banging the "trade Gibson!" drum a lot more fervently.  As it is, you never know what you might get.  Sometimes you get a 1st and a 3rd for Darcy Kuemper and sometimes you get a 3rd for Alex Nedelkovic.  Beats me.  But if the Ducks traded Gibson, I think they'd be fine with Dostal.  If Dostal fails, you pick up a free agent goalie as a stopgap and develop the next guy.  The Ducks have always been very good at finding and developing goalie talent.

• Like 3

Pronman isn’t god. Not sure why anyone would get so concerned about what he says, likewise no one should get so excited if he or another industry person likes one of our prospects. They may be right, they may be wrong. Who knows? Consensus seems to be a guy like Dostal and our prospects in general look very good. I’m not going to get caught up on one persons opinion. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

Pronman isn’t god. Not sure why anyone would get so concerned about what he says, likewise no one should get so excited if he or another industry person likes one of our prospects. They may be right, they may be wrong. Who knows? Consensus seems to be a guy like Dostal and our prospects in general look very good. I’m not going to get caught up on one persons opinion. 

FWIW, on today's Athletic podcast, Pronman discussed Canada's U18/U20 camp (where they combined the two camps on the final day) and he specifically mentioned that McTavish and Zellweger were stand-outs at the camp based on reports he got from scouts who attended. For Zellweger, he went further to state that it was unusual for someone his age to have such a good showing against U20s. I know I shouldn't get excited, but...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

I'm not at all concerned by the Dostal write-up.  First, others have ranked him in the top 10 in goalie prospects (Wheeler had him 6th or 7th), which is good.  Second, goalie evaluation is a crapshoot for these guys who seem to be a lot better at analyzing skaters.  Third, to me this reads as "capable starter."  I'm of the opinion that all you need to win the Cup is a goalie who is consistent and capable, and one that can preferably get hot, but really just won't lose you games.  It's no guarantee that Dostal becomes that, but this doesn't sway me from thinking he can. 

If the goalie trade market weren't so unpredictable, I'd be banging the "trade Gibson!" drum a lot more fervently.  As it is, you never know what you might get.  Sometimes you get a 1st and a 3rd for Darcy Kuemper and sometimes you get a 3rd for Alex Nedelkovic.  Beats me.  But if the Ducks traded Gibson, I think they'd be fine with Dostal.  If Dostal fails, you pick up a free agent goalie as a stopgap and develop the next guy.  The Ducks have always been very good at finding and developing goalie talent.

I'm not sure how you get from 'he continues to have success at every pro level' to 'he projects as a backup'. But yeah like you say, goalie evaluation is a bit of a crapshoot as they take the longest to develop. We probably won't have a great idea on Dostal's true potential for at least another season or two. The thing I like about him from what I've seen is his poise and positioning in the crease. He seems very good at getting set before making a save. A lot of goalies still haven't mastered that even by the time they get to the NHL level.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

FWIW, on today's Athletic podcast, Pronman discussed Canada's U18/U20 camp (where they combined the two camps on the final day) and he specifically mentioned that McTavish and Zellweger were stand-outs at the camp based on reports he got from scouts who attended. For Zellweger, he went further to state that it was unusual for someone his age to have such a good showing against U20s. I know I shouldn't get excited, but...

Yeah, I wouldn’t get too excited about how someone looks in camp. At least in this case though, “based on reports...from scouts who attended” is more of a consensus than his opinion alone. So that’s nice. It’s all moot anyway because tons of industry people are excited about Zellweger. That’s something to be excited about.