The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Isac Lundestrom & Sam Steel signed

Steel expecially needs to step it up bigtime or he is a washout imo.  Excited to see what Lundestrom will do with improved opportunity.

Here's My Though on Resignings of 2 of our Ducks Young Guns....Both 1 year extensions Both 2 way and worth 874,125 tells you these are "Prove Yourself to us" Deals. I got a Feeling BOTH are either on short leash.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dukitup said:

What I find surprising is they're two way deals. 

does that make it easier for cap purposes?? or....make them easier to trade 'cause teams will be more interested??

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

does that make it easier for cap purposes?? or....make them easier to trade 'cause teams will be more interested??

I believe they don't have to pass through waivers.

7 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Steel expecially needs to step it up bigtime or he is a washout imo.  Excited to see what Lundestrom will do with improved opportunity.

But I’ll take Steel at that contract all day. He hasn’t taken that step yet, but I still think he is worth more than that contract. I see him as another Marchant. He is good at the dot and fast. If he can focus his defensive game, I think he will be a good PK contributor and decent in a third line role. If not move to the wing and be more like Cogs. Cogs and Marchant were very similar IMO too. I don’t think Steel has enough skill to combat his lack of size, which is hurting his performance at the NHL level. He will be a 10-15 goal guy.

Edited by ike8228

20 hours ago, dukitup said:

What I find surprising is they're two way deals. 

They're two way deals because these are standard qualifying offers, and both players were only eligible for a 2-way qualifying offer. This is determined by the CBA.

16 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I believe they don't have to pass through waivers.

It just means if they go to the AHL they get paid less. But both players are no longer waivers exempt as they have played too many NHL games.

• Thanks 2

Considering their poor performance last season, I think these contracts are fair for both of them.

Edited by FanSince1993

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Considering their poor performance last season, I think these contracts are fair for both of them.

Steel sucked last season not Lundy. If you think Lundestrom was poor last season, you don't know the sport.

25 minutes ago, DuckRogers13 said:

Steel sucked last season not Lundy. If you think Lundestrom was poor last season, you don't know the sport.

Are you his friend? If not, prove your point, please.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Good Point plus considering the contracts are 2 way is all that tells you what Message was sent by the Ducks in these 1 year extensions.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 6:53 PM, ike8228 said:

But I’ll take Steel at that contract all day. He hasn’t taken that step yet, but I still think he is worth more than that contract. I see him as another Marchant. He is good at the dot and fast. If he can focus his defensive game, I think he will be a good PK contributor and decent in a third line role. If not move to the wing and be more like Cogs. Cogs and Marchant were very similar IMO too. I don’t think Steel has enough skill to combat his lack of size, which is hurting his performance at the NHL level. He will be a 10-15 goal guy.

A centerman that only scores 10-15 goals is a 3rd / 4th line guy and Sam Steel does not have the size or grit to execute that position.  So what then?  Minors or trade.  He hasn't show the skill or strength of a Nick Bonino of years past.

• Like 2

Everybody is now signed according to Eric Stephens.

Comtois - 2 x $4.075M $2.0375M

Jones - 3 x $1.295M

Mahura - 2 x $750 (2-way deal, no report yet on the AHL salary)

That's a bigger number for Comtois than I was expecting. Will be interesting to see how it is structured and if his QO will be more or less than the AAV. He'll also have arbitration rights when it expires. 

Edit: Oops, that's a total of $4.075M for Comtois. It's $2.0375M AAV. That's a fantastic number!!!

Edited by dtsdlaw

That gives the Ducks a full 23-man roster (+ Kesler) with just over $12M in cap space. :ph34r:

Edited by dtsdlaw

12 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Comtois - 2 x $4.075M

Jones - 3 x $1.295M

That's a bigger number for Comtois than I was expecting. Will be interesting to see how it is structured and if his QO will be more or less than the AAV. He'll also have arbitration rights when it expires. 

That was probably Comtois wanting less term to be able to shop again as an RFA.  A risk-reward proposal on his part, but he's putting the pressure on himself, which I like.

Just now, gotchabari said:

That was probably Comtois wanting less term to be able to shop again as an RFA.  A risk-reward proposal on his part, but he's putting the pressure on himself, which I like.

Just edited my post. It's actually an incredible number IMO. Good job GMBM Jeff Soloman!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Jones - 3 x $1.295M

Edit: Oops, that's a total of $4.075M for Comtois. It's $2.0375M AAV. That's a fantastic number!!!

Those are some great contracts. Credit where credit is due. Good job BM.

2 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Jeff Solomon

The Ducks have named Jeff Solomon Vice President of Hockey Operations and Assistant General Manager. He will oversee strategic budget planning in relation to the NHL's Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and the salary cap, contract and arbitration negotiation, and player evaluation.

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-name-jeff-solomon-vp-of-hockey-operations-and-assistant-gm/c-324966676

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Whether you want to give Murray or Solomon credit, the Ducks have been really good at getting RFAs signed to reasonable deals throughout BM's tenure.

Of course, the main reason these guys have signed for so little (including Steel and Lundestrom) is that they've all been underwhelming performers, aside from Comtois last season.  And that can be laid firmly at the feet of Murray's inability to hire people who can develop these guys and/or use them properly at the NHL level.  So, good for you, Murray, for getting the young players signed to reasonable deals.  Now let's see them actually play well so we can give you credit for constructing a good roster.

Edited by Gorbachav55

Bob is so good at signing RFA’s. Great contracts all around. That second year on Mahura’s contract is pretty surprising compared to how he’s been handled, but it leads me to believe that this is the year he gets a real shot at sticking to the squad 

43 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Bob is so good at signing RFA’s. Great contracts all around. That second year on Mahura’s contract is pretty surprising compared to how he’s been handled, but it leads me to believe that this is the year he gets a real shot at sticking to the squad 

It also increases his trade value. 

:ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Jones - 3 x $1.295M

Nice contracts. Comtois and Jones both had QOs that would have paid around $870K from memory.

Jones gets a little increase on his QO but gets 3 years. Good deal for him. Even if he doesn't improve much more that's an affordable number for a 4th line winger.

Comtois gets more than double his QO but only 2 years, betting on himself. Fair deal I think for a guy that has one good season under his belt.

Mahura - From my limited understanding of QOs, he was entitled to a 5% increase on his base salary of $700K last year, which would have been $735K this year, plus bonuses. But he has signed for $750K for 2 years? There have to be bonuses attached to this, otherwise I don't really get why he would lock himself in at $750K, as if he just signed the QO he would have been eligible for another increase next season, or a bigger contract if he backed himself to earn it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nieder said:

Nice contracts. Comtois and Jones both had QOs that would have paid around $870K from memory.

Jones gets a little increase on his QO but gets 3 years. Good deal for him. Even if he doesn't improve much more that's an affordable number for a 4th line winger.

Comtois gets more than double his QO but only 2 years, betting on himself. Fair deal I think for a guy that has one good season under his belt.

Mahura - From my limited understanding of QOs, he was entitled to a 5% increase on his base salary of $700K last year, which would have been $735K this year, plus bonuses. But he has signed for $750K for 2 years? There have to be bonuses attached to this, otherwise I don't really get why he would lock himself in at $750K, as if he just signed the QO he would have been eligible for another increase next season, or a bigger contract if he backed himself to earn it.

Great point. So if he'd just signed his QOs this season and next season, he'd be making $735K this season and $771,750 next season, which adds up to $1,506,750. And like you said, he also removes any chance of making more next season based on a good 2021-22 in Anaheim. Which is weird since he would have been arbitration eligible next summer. That actually sounds like he isn't expecting to play much in Anaheim this coming season. I wonder if they're giving him a raise on his AHL salary?

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Great point. So if he'd just signed his QOs this season and next season, he'd be making $735K this season and $771,750 next season, which adds up to $1,506,750. And like you said, he also removes any chance of making more next season based on a good 2021-22 in Anaheim. Which is weird since he would have been arbitration eligible next summer. That actually sounds like he isn't expecting to play much in Anaheim this coming season. I wonder if they're giving him a raise on his AHL salary?

I believe he also would have been arbitration eligible next year. So if he backed himself to have a good season in the NHL this upcoming year, he would surely want to bet on himself for a contract increase next offseason, and he also had arbitration to fall back on if he felt the team wasn't paying him enough. So maybe they have already told him he won't be a regular on the team, therefore he might as well sign for 2 years at similar money? Unless there are big performance bonuses on this tied to his performance at the NHL level and he has been told he will get his chance, but has to earn his payday.

3 minutes ago, nieder said:

I believe he also would have been arbitration eligible next year. So if he backed himself to have a good season in the NHL this upcoming year, he would surely want to bet on himself for a contract increase next offseason, and he also had arbitration to fall back on if he felt the team wasn't paying him enough. So maybe they have already told him he won't be a regular on the team, therefore he might as well sign for 2 years at similar money? Unless there are big performance bonuses on this tied to his performance at the NHL level and he has been told he will get his chance, but has to earn his payday.

He's not eligible for performance bonuses. You can only get those on your ELC, a 35+ contract, or if you sign a 1-year contract after a serious injury.

Maybe they agreed to honor his trade request if he signed for two years? I dunno, just spit balling. This doesn't make much sense on its surface.

Something I just thought of.... the NHL league minimum salary is set at $750K this season. I wonder how that impacted his qualifying offer, which would normally have been calculated as his salary last season ($700K) + a 5% raise = $735K. Were the Ducks required to offer $750K to meet the league minimum? Feels like something else is at play here. Maybe we're over thinking this though, and should just enjoy the bargains we got today.

13 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

He's not eligible for performance bonuses. You can only get those on your ELC, a 35+ contract, or if you sign a 1-year contract after a serious injury.

Maybe they agreed to honor his trade request if he signed for two years? I dunno, just spit balling. This doesn't make much sense on its surface.

Right, OK. Maybe there is a signing bonus that increases the base salary? Otherwise I don't know why Mahura would have signed a 2 year deal at basically the same money as his QOs instead of backing himself this season to increase his salary next year.

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Something I just thought of.... the NHL league minimum salary is set at $750K this season. I wonder how that impacted his qualifying offer, which would normally have been calculated as his salary last season ($700K) + a 5% raise = $735K. Were the Ducks required to offer $750K to meet the league minimum? Feels like something else is at play here. Maybe we're over thinking this though, and should just enjoy the bargains we got today.

This is a good point. I would assume it would have to round up to the league minimum. Edit: Checked this on Capfriendly on other RFAs on $700K last season - confirmed it automatically bumps them up to league minimum of $750K. So that would be what Mahura got if he signed his one year QO. 

Capfriendly right now is only reporting this as a 1 year contract, so perhaps Eric Stephens got the length wrong and Mahura just signed his QO. So all of the analysis above means nothing. Lol.

Edit: The team is reporting Mahura was re-signed for 2 years, at $750k per year. So unless there is a signing bonus in there not yet reported, I don't get it for Mahura. I'll take the contract as a fan but I don't get why he would want to add the extra year at the same money.

Edited by nieder

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Jones - 3 x $1.295M

Hearing the New Ducks have resigned Comtois and Mahura to 2 year deals and Jones to 3 year Deal..Makes me Happy HAPPY HAPPY.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Bob doesnt do contracts the new guy (former Kings) handles contracts if I read his introduction correctly.

Also once Kesler is moved to LTIR we should have $16,066,084 Cap Space Available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nieder said:

Right, OK. Maybe there is a signing bonus that increases the base salary? Otherwise I don't know why Mahura would have signed a 2 year deal at basically the same money as his QOs instead of backing himself this season to increase his salary next year.

This is a good point. I would assume it would have to round up to the league minimum. Edit: Checked this on Capfriendly on other RFAs on $700K last season - confirmed it automatically bumps them up to league minimum of $750K. So that would be what Mahura got if he signed his one year QO. 

Capfriendly right now is only reporting this as a 1 year contract, so perhaps Eric Stephens got the length wrong and Mahura just signed his QO. So all of the analysis above means nothing. Lol.

Edit: The team is reporting Mahura was re-signed for 2 years, at $750k per year. So unless there is a signing bonus in there not yet reported, I don't get it for Mahura. I'll take the contract as a fan but I don't get why he would want to add the extra year at the same money.

Capfriendly now reporting the second year is one way @ $750K, so that would explain everything.

• Like 1