Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

Is Eichel a Duck Yet?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

First, I don’t really believe Bob would strip the RW depth by trading both Rakell and Perreault for Eichel. One of those guys stays. Also, I’m making the Eichel trade for 2022-23 and beyond. I still assume the Ducks likely miss the playoffs this coming season, unless Rakell stays and Bob finds another scoring winger to complement Eichel. If they miss the playoffs, Getzlaf brings back a 2022 1st rounder and Manson at least a 2nd at the trade deadline. Rico will eventually be traded too, and with salary retained he brings back a decent asset too. So you’ve now got more assets and a ton of cap space for 2022-23. You also have a 26-year-old bonafide superstar center and a 21-year-old future stud center as your 1-2 punch. The Ducks will be able to find a top-6 RW. Especially if the cap only goes up by $1M next season, which is what’s been speculated recently. 

That makes more sense and at least we are in agreement that next season is going to be bad lol. 2022-2023 is when things might begin to turnaround but as far as competing for the playoffs but a lot of things need to go right and happen: Zegras and Drysdale are legit NHLers and contributors (most important), John Gibson still wants to play on this team and plays very well; we add another top-4 defensemen (possibly two if we both Manson and Lindholm are gone), bring in at least two top-6 scoring wingers to play along side Eichel/Zegras. If Zegras and Drysdale aren't very good by 2022 then the Ducks are still going to struggling even with Eichel, imo. I don't think we can bank on that right now and this upcoming season is purely a developmental one for Zegras/Drysdale. If I were a betting man, I think that 2023-2024 would be more realistic for the Ducks competing for a playoff spot.

Manson bringing back a second rounder at the deadline sounds about right and would be a masterclass showing of Murray's incompetence in asset management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That makes more sense and at least we are in agreement that next season is going to be bad lol. 2022-2023 is when things might begin to turnaround but as far as competing for the playoffs but a lot of things need to go right and happen: Zegras and Drysdale are legit NHLers and contributors (most important), John Gibson still wants to play on this team and plays very well; we add another top-4 defensemen (possibly two if we both Manson and Lindholm are gone), bring in at least two top-6 scoring wingers to play along side Eichel/Zegras. If Zegras and Drysdale aren't very good by 2022 then the Ducks are still going to struggling even with Eichel, imo. I don't think we can bank on that right now and this upcoming season is purely a developmental one for Zegras/Drysdale. If I were a betting man, I think that 2023-2024 would be more realistic for the Ducks competing for a playoff spot.

Manson bringing back a second rounder at the deadline sounds about right and would be a masterclass showing of Murray's incompetence in asset management.

🤔hmmm.... so you've finally joined the Eichel bandwagon! Welcome aboard!!! Woot woot!!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, FanSince1993 said:

why are we still discussing this topic? This Eichel guy is a talented player but not a person who makes people comfortable around him. He clashed with his coach, GM, organization, does not trust team doctors, fired his agent, and refused to take care of his injured neck during 5 months off-season time. Now I hear the stories that if he does his "artificial" disc replacement surgery, he may miss most of next season and there is a risk he may not be the same player anymore. And yet some people on this forum write 20 paragraphs essay thinking that we need to trade most of our farm system in exchange for this guy and his $10 mil salary?

Sorry, but I don't want this potential cancer on my team.

I haven't heard he makes teammates uncomfortable.  I've actually heard the opposite.  As for clashing with a GM that wasn't following up on promises to build around him, okay.  Good for him.

He got a second and third opinion on a very dicey health decision.  I would hope anyone would do that.

His agent has been doing some weird things to try to force the situation.  I'd have left him, too.

He has not been ALLOWED to take care of his neck, contractually, for 5 months.  His TEAM has refused to let him take care of it.

What you hear about the artificial replacement goes against every single piece of news I've seen on the topic, and is the exact opposite.  His method has a fairly short recovery period vs. all season for the team's approach.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

I haven't heard he makes teammates uncomfortable.  I've actually heard the opposite.  As for clashing with a GM that wasn't following up on promises to build around him, okay.  Good for him.

He got a second and third opinion on a very dicey health decision.  I would hope anyone would do that.

His agent has been doing some weird things to try to force the situation.  I'd have left him, too.

He has not been ALLOWED to take care of his neck, contractually, for 5 months.  His TEAM has refused to let him take care of it.

What you hear about the artificial replacement goes against every single piece of news I've seen on the topic, and is the exact opposite.  His method has a fairly short recovery period vs. all season for the team's approach.

I think that is why our Ducks should move on from him...No need to be in this Holding Pattern.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eichel apparently flew to Montreal with all his hockey equipment today. Most likely a nothing story being blown out of proportion by social media because of yesterday's offer sheet news, but I can't help but flash back to when Toronto news choppers followed Kawhi Leonard around for a day OJ Simpson style when his contract expired. Meanwhile, the butt-groove on Bob Murray's sofa grows deeper as he starts up on another Netflix series.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gotchabari said:

"He has not been ALLOWED to take care of his neck, contractually, for 5 months.  His TEAM has refused to let him take care of it."

 

??? A source, please.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

??? A source, please.

If you're following this story at all, it's been reported ad nauseum.  Eichel (and the doctors he's consulted) wants to have one kind of surgery.  The Sabres won't let him.  Here's just one article that describes the situation, but if you search "Jack Eichel injury," you can click on just about any of them and find reporting on it.  

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/07/31/eichels-rift-with-sabres-deepens-in-contradicting-gm-adams/

Adams said there was no change from the Sabres medical staff in recommending against Eichel having a procedure which has never been performed on an NHL player. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, FanSince1993 said:

why are we still discussing this topic? This Eichel guy is a talented player but not a person who makes people comfortable around him. He clashed with his coach, GM, organization, does not trust team doctors, fired his agent, and refused to take care of his injured neck during 5 months off-season time. Now I hear the stories that if he does his "artificial" disc replacement surgery, he may miss most of next season and there is a risk he may not be the same player anymore. And yet some people on this forum write 20 paragraphs essay thinking that we need to trade most of our farm system in exchange for this guy and his $10 mil salary?

Sorry, but I don't want this potential cancer on my team.

If he can make Murray and Eakins uncomfortable enough to leave the team, i'd say he already made any trade for him worthwhile. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

??? A source, please.

Yes, thanks Gorby for posting one.  There have been no less than 10 posted throughout the various discussions on Eichel here, also.  But yes, it is a part of just about every article discussing the trade possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

??? A source, please.

Sabres GM Kevyn Adams - https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/sabres-gm-adams-addresses-teams-handling-eichels-injury/?show_id=13373

The recommended treatment plan, initially agreed to by both team and player, was an initial 12-week period of rest and rehab, which ended in June. When the 12 weeks concluded, he was re-evaluated by Buffalo team doctors, who then determined that the rest did not work and he still needs surgery. However, Buffalo team doctors have recommended the spinal fusion surgery and have refused to agree to the disc replacement that Eichel and his personal doctors prefer. Hence the impasse. But it's garbage to suggest that he refused to take care of his neck for 5 months. He would have done the disc replacement months ago if he had been permitted to do it, but the CBA allows the team final say over decisions on medical procedures. Recovery time for the disc replacement is also 6-8 weeks. Meanwhile, the fusion surgery recovery period is 6 months. Eichel actually wants to do the procedure that will get him back on the ice quicker.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Sabres GM Kevyn Adams - https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/sabres-gm-adams-addresses-teams-handling-eichels-injury/?show_id=13373

The recommended treatment plan, initially agreed to by both team and player, was an initial 12-week period of rest and rehab, which ended in June. When the 12 weeks concluded, he was re-evaluated by Buffalo team doctors, who then determined that the rest did not work and he still needs surgery. However, Buffalo team doctors have recommended the spinal fusion surgery and have refused to agree to the disc replacement that Eichel and his personal doctors prefer. Hence the impasse. But it's garbage to suggest that he refused to take care of his neck for 5 months. He would have done the disc replacement months ago if he had been permitted to do it, but the CBA allows the team final say over decisions on medical procedures. Recovery time for the disc replacement is also 6-8 weeks. Meanwhile, the fusion surgery recovery period is 6 months. Eichel actually wants to do the procedure that will get him back on the ice quicker.

Again, I'm trying really hard to see how BUF could have screwed this up more epically.  So far, I have been unable to come up with a scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Sabres GM Kevyn Adams - https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/sabres-gm-adams-addresses-teams-handling-eichels-injury/?show_id=13373

The recommended treatment plan, initially agreed to by both team and player, was an initial 12-week period of rest and rehab, which ended in June. When the 12 weeks concluded, he was re-evaluated by Buffalo team doctors, who then determined that the rest did not work and he still needs surgery. However, Buffalo team doctors have recommended the spinal fusion surgery and have refused to agree to the disc replacement that Eichel and his personal doctors prefer. Hence the impasse. But it's garbage to suggest that he refused to take care of his neck for 5 months. He would have done the disc replacement months ago if he had been permitted to do it, but the CBA allows the team final say over decisions on medical procedures. Recovery time for the disc replacement is also 6-8 weeks. Meanwhile, the fusion surgery recovery period is 6 months. Eichel actually wants to do the procedure that will get him back on the ice quicker.

This sort of thing....imho Ducks will pass on Jack....No need for the drama and wait for him that long. As the More this goes the more I think it's best our Ducks Do not Trade for  him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

This sort of thing....imho Ducks will pass on Jack....No need for the drama and wait for him that long. As the More this goes the more I think it's best our Ducks Do not Trade for  him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Moose, I think that if the Ducks were somehow able to deal for Eichel, they would be letting him get the disc replacement surgery.  Really, whatever team that trades for him will almost 100% sign off on the disc replacement.  So, let's say they made a deal for him by the first of September.  He would most likely be playing before November was even a week or two old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Again, I'm trying really hard to see how BUF could have screwed this up more epically.  So far, I have been unable to come up with a scenario.

IMO, I forgot where I heard it but there could also be insurance implications on Eichel’s contract that don’t cover the disk replacement. If so, and the surgery doesn’t work as planned then the Sabres could really in trouble since Eichel’s trade value will plummet more, plus his contract possibly not being insured. From Buffalo’s perspective, I can understand them holding firm to the surgery that they want under those circumstances, especially if they haven’t gotten an offer good enough for them to make a trade. It’s hard to blame them for not wanting their star player to have a surgery never performed on an NHL player. They can drag this well into the season if they want since they are in full rebuild mode anyway.

I have no idea how this impasse gets resolved. Is another team going to trade for Eichel and then approve the surgery that Buffalo isn’t willing to? After giving up significant assets in the process as well. I’d think that teams want Buffalo to assume that risk and then trade for Eichel being once they see how he recovers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Moose, I think that if the Ducks were somehow able to deal for Eichel, they would be letting him get the disc replacement surgery.  Really, whatever team that trades for him will almost 100% sign off on the disc replacement.  So, let's say they made a deal for him by the first of September.  He would most likely be playing before November was even a week or two old.

Six to eight weeks is just recovery time from the surgery. Then he would have to get into playing shape which could take a while and most likely be sent to the Gulls for ( I forgot what it's called) to get some full contact games in. All of this talk is still predicated on the Ducks medical staff agreeing with Eichel's medical staff that the artificial disk is acceptable. The Ducks medical staff or any other teams medical staff have the final say based on their assessment of Eichel. I'm sure BM has already conferred with the Ducks team doctors as to what theoretically would be the best treatment since Eichel has 50M left on his contract. It could very well be that the Ducks team doctors agree with the Sabres medical staff based on general knowledge of the injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Moose, I think that if the Ducks were somehow able to deal for Eichel, they would be letting him get the disc replacement surgery.  Really, whatever team that trades for him will almost 100% sign off on the disc replacement.  So, let's say they made a deal for him by the first of September.  He would most likely be playing before November was even a week or two old.

I see and much of what we have is no news from our Ducks and our team is in a holding pattern.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Moose, I think that if the Ducks were somehow able to deal for Eichel, they would be letting him get the disc replacement surgery.  Really, whatever team that trades for him will almost 100% sign off on the disc replacement.  So, let's say they made a deal for him by the first of September.  He would most likely be playing before November was even a week or two old.

IMO if we trade for Eichel its to make this team better 1-2 years from now, not next season. He could miss half the season and it wouldn't really matter. This team sucks this season either way. It's too bad all this drama didn't happen 12 months from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nieder said:

IMO if we trade for Eichel its to make this team better 1-2 years from now, not next season. He could miss half the season and it wouldn't really matter. This team sucks this season either way. It's too bad all this drama didn't happen 12 months from now.

yep, i feel the same. we are probably a top-5 pick next year regardless of Eichel.

I also just heard that I guess Eichel has been having meetings with the NHLPA and NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to get them involved in a mediation thingy to resolve this. This isn't just a team not trading a player requesting a trade, but a team refusing to let a player get the surgery the player wants while also not trading him to a team that WOULD allow this to happen. He will now officially miss part of the season.

I don't understand why Adams thinks he has all the time in the world...Eichel isn't playing without getting this surgery. So, Adams is basically holding a player hostage from playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nieder said:

IMO if we trade for Eichel its to make this team better 1-2 years from now, not next season. He could miss half the season and it wouldn't really matter. This team sucks this season either way. It's too bad all this drama didn't happen 12 months from now.

Since Eichel has a NMC that kicks in after this season, I assume there would be no drama as far as the Ducks are concerned. It's now or never. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Since Eichel has a NMC that kicks in after this season, I assume there would be no drama as far as the Ducks are concerned. It's now or never. 

That's what I meant, too bad it didn't happen right before his NMC kicks in. Could save $10M for this season which is going to be a load of crap anyway.

I think we can safely say that is the plan this season. Murray has still added nobody to the second worst team in the league. I wonder how he convinced Getzlaf to return to this dumpster fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

That's what I meant, too bad it didn't happen right before his NMC kicks in. Could save $10M for this season which is going to be a load of crap anyway.

I think we can safely say that is the plan this season. Murray has still added nobody to the second worst team in the league. I wonder how he convinced Getzlaf to return to this dumpster fire.

I guess I'm not as negative on this upcoming season. Not saying we're making the playoffs, but I'm not seeing us finish 31st in the league either. And to be honest, to have any realistic chance at the #1 pick we have to finish bottom 3. Puck luck and Ducks are not synonymous with each other. I understand it's a deep draft, but significant pieces come within the top 5 picks (yes exceptions abound).

Last year was a major cluster F. Our PP set a record for futility. That's not happening this year. By default, we'll be better. Injuries will always play a factor, but last year 2 of our top 4 D missed over half the games played (Lindholm missed 38 games, Manson 33). While we were abysmal at home (6-18-4), we were fairly consistent on the road (11-12-5). Our road GAA placed 10th in the league. 

Let's see what happens with a healthy Lindholm, Manson, Silfverberg and a full year from Zegras and Drysdale. Maybe for once we have a fairly healthy year. Continued improvements from some of the kids, plus a rebound season from Rakell may result in a team not as bad as many predict. We'll see. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

 All of this talk is still predicated on the Ducks medical staff agreeing with Eichel's medical staff that the artificial disk is acceptable. The Ducks medical staff or any other teams medical staff have the final say based on their assessment of Eichel. 

 

14 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

IMO, I forgot where I heard it but there could also be insurance implications on Eichel’s contract that don’t cover the disk replacement. If so, and the surgery doesn’t work as planned then the Sabres could really in trouble since Eichel’s trade value will plummet more, plus his contract possibly not being insured. From Buffalo’s perspective, I can understand them holding firm to the surgery that they want under those circumstances, especially if they haven’t gotten an offer good enough for them to make a trade. It’s hard to blame them for not wanting their star player to have a surgery never performed on an NHL player. They can drag this well into the season if they want since they are in full rebuild mode anyway.

I have no idea how this impasse gets resolved. Is another team going to trade for Eichel and then approve the surgery that Buffalo isn’t willing to? After giving up significant assets in the process as well. I’d think that teams want Buffalo to assume that risk and then trade for Eichel being once they see how he recovers.

 

 

I just don't see how BUF could eventually say "yes" to the disc replacement after blocking it all this time, without looking like bigger idiots than they already do, which is saying something.

Any team trading for him is going to have to be okay with the disc replacement surgery. I think one of the conditions of the trade will be that you get this kid with his neck problem and you agree to let him go the disc replacement route.  His new team is going to have to sign off on it.  BUF has already dug their heels in.

I don't see Eichel changing his stance on his medical options.  So, If BUF doesn't budge on their asking price to get a deal done, I guess they are gonna pay him $50 million over 5 years to not play hockey. Or try to void his contract, which will set off a legal Battle Royale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I guess I'm not as negative on this upcoming season. Not saying we're making the playoffs, but I'm not seeing us finish 31st in the league either. And to be honest, to have any realistic chance at the #1 pick we have to finish bottom 3. Puck luck and Ducks are not synonymous with each other. I understand it's a deep draft, but significant pieces come within the top 5 picks (yes exceptions abound).

Last year was a major cluster F. Our PP set a record for futility. That's not happening this year. By default, we'll be better. Injuries will always play a factor, but last year 2 of our top 4 D missed over half the games played (Lindholm missed 38 games, Manson 33). While we were abysmal at home (6-18-4), we were fairly consistent on the road (11-12-5). Our road GAA placed 10th in the league. 

Let's see what happens with a healthy Lindholm, Manson, Silfverberg and a full year from Zegras and Drysdale. Maybe for once we have a fairly healthy year. Continued improvements from some of the kids, plus a rebound season from Rakell may result in a team not as bad as many predict. We'll see. 

We need a lot of things to go right to get any better. IMO that is going to be good luck, not good management. Bob has done nothing to improve the team except replace the assistant coaches. Though being even a few percentage points better on the PP should give us a few more wins.

A full year of Zegras and Drysdale should make the team better, assuming they both stay with the team, but no guarantees.

Lindholm back is big for the team. Manson is meh - I'm not sure he's much better than Hakanpaa who took a lot of his minutes last season. Silf - who knows how he recovers from his injury but hopefully he's back to normal.

How many rosters around the league look worse than Anaheim? Buffalo and Arizona are clearly worse. Then New Jersey and Columbus are there or thereabouts. I don't think the Ducks roster is better than any other roster. Maybe San Jose? That puts us bottom 6 at best. But I could see this team finishing 3rd worst ahead of Buffalo and Arizona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

 

I just don't see how BUF could eventually say "yes" to the disc replacement after blocking it all this time, without looking like bigger idiots than they already do, which is saying something.

Any team trading for him is going to have to be okay with the disc replacement surgery. I think one of the conditions of the trade will be that you get this kid with his neck problem and you agree to let him go the disc replacement route.  His new team is going to have to sign off on it.  BUF has already dug their heels in.

I don't see Eichel changing his stance on his medical options.  So, If BUF doesn't budge on their asking price to get a deal done, I guess they are gonna pay him $50 million over 5 years to not play hockey. Or try to void his contract, which will set off a legal Battle Royale.

At some point, couldn't Buffalo suspend him without pay if he refuses to get the medical treatment that they're authorizing?  I honestly have no idea, but teams have suspended players without pay in the past for refusing to report, and essentially that's what Eichel's doing.  

Again, I come down on Eichel's side, but Buffalo is not being completely unreasonable.  They are being forced to either take a poor return for a franchise player or put the health of that franchise player at risk by allowing him to get an unprecedented (for an NHL player) surgery, which could void the insurance they have on his contract.  Whether you agree with it or not, Buffalo is trying to protect the value of their asset.  Maybe you think it would have been better for them to trade him for a terrible return and let another team take the risk.  Or maybe you think it would be better for them to let him get the surgery, risk having it go poorly, and then have a disgruntled player who no team wants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gorbachav55 said:

At some point, couldn't Buffalo suspend him without pay if he refuses to get the medical treatment that they're authorizing?  I honestly have no idea, but teams have suspended players without pay in the past for refusing to report, and essentially that's what Eichel's doing.  

Again, I come down on Eichel's side, but Buffalo is not being completely unreasonable.  They are being forced to either take a poor return for a franchise player or put the health of that franchise player at risk by allowing him to get an unprecedented (for an NHL player) surgery, which could void the insurance they have on his contract.  Whether you agree with it or not, Buffalo is trying to protect the value of their asset.  Maybe you think it would have been better for them to trade him for a terrible return and let another team take the risk.  Or maybe you think it would be better for them to let him get the surgery, risk having it go poorly, and then have a disgruntled player who no team wants. 

I would have to think this is a possibility. The CBA allows teams to make the final call on medical treatment. The Sabres have made a different call than the player, that doesn't mean he can just sit out and get paid. I would think he would be suspended.

However, I'm not sure if their relationship is irreparable now, but it certainly would be if they did that, which could lower the trade value even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I guess I'm not as negative on this upcoming season. Not saying we're making the playoffs, but I'm not seeing us finish 31st in the league either. And to be honest, to have any realistic chance at the #1 pick we have to finish bottom 3. Puck luck and Ducks are not synonymous with each other. I understand it's a deep draft, but significant pieces come within the top 5 picks (yes exceptions abound).

Last year was a major cluster F. Our PP set a record for futility. That's not happening this year. By default, we'll be better. Injuries will always play a factor, but last year 2 of our top 4 D missed over half the games played (Lindholm missed 38 games, Manson 33). While we were abysmal at home (6-18-4), we were fairly consistent on the road (11-12-5). Our road GAA placed 10th in the league. 

Let's see what happens with a healthy Lindholm, Manson, Silfverberg and a full year from Zegras and Drysdale. Maybe for once we have a fairly healthy year. Continued improvements from some of the kids, plus a rebound season from Rakell may result in a team not as bad as many predict. We'll see. 

I am with you to a point. I still think our top-6 Center depth is very concerning. If nothing is added there before the season starts, our top-6 could get caved in again, which would set a bad tone for the whole team. But I have more optimism about the rest of the roster than most others around here. This group is better than what they showed last season, and I think the new assistants and a full training camp will help them immensely. I expect them to be much more organized than what we saw last season, and I think this is a 75-78 point team right now if we don't lose any top players to season-ending injuries. Adding a top-6 center would make them an 83-87 point team. Not enough for the playoffs, but vastly better than what most are expecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nieder said:

I would have to think this is a possibility. The CBA allows teams to make the final call on medical treatment. The Sabres have made a different call than the player, that doesn't mean he can just sit out and get paid. I would think he would be suspended.

However, I'm not sure if their relationship is irreparable now, but it certainly would be if they did that, which could lower the trade value even more.

Can they force a player to have a surgery though? That seems unethical. I would think the default if they can't agree on the surgical procedure is just rest and rehab. A team having the authority to require a player to get cut on doesn't seem right to me.

I also wonder how the suspension would work. Seems like Eichel could just show up to camp and fail a physical (which he obviously will), and he then goes on IR. I don't think a team can suspend a player who shows up and fails a physical exam due to an injury, especially an injury sustained while playing for the team. Most players on IR are excluded from team activities anyway, so he wouldn't be around the team. Probably the only benefit to Buffalo is that insurance may cover some of his salary if he's on IR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Can they force a player to have a surgery though? That seems unethical. I would think the default if they can't agree on the surgical procedure is just rest and rehab. A team having the authority to require a player to get cut on doesn't seem right to me.

I also wonder how the suspension would work. Seems like Eichel could just show up to camp and fail a physical (which he obviously will), and he then goes on IR. I don't think a team can suspend a player who shows up and fails a physical exam due to an injury, especially an injury sustained while playing for the team. Most players on IR are excluded from team activities anyway, so he wouldn't be around the team. Probably the only benefit to Buffalo is that insurance may cover some of his salary if he's on IR.

This is my understanding, yes. The team has the final call on what treatment should be done. The players have agreed to this by agreeing to the terms of the CBA, so it's a bit of an ethical grey area as the players have basically signed away that right to choose. Though usually this wouldn't happen as most players and teams would work together to decide on the best treatment.

Basically what the CBA does allow is for the player to get a second and third opinion from other doctors. The CBA requires that the team doctor "gives serious consideration" to these other opinions, but there is nothing in the CBA that says the team doctor gets overruled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tommer-1 said:

 

I just don't see how BUF could eventually say "yes" to the disc replacement after blocking it all this time, without looking like bigger idiots than they already do, which is saying something.

Any team trading for him is going to have to be okay with the disc replacement surgery. I think one of the conditions of the trade will be that you get this kid with his neck problem and you agree to let him go the disc replacement route.  His new team is going to have to sign off on it.  BUF has already dug their heels in.

I don't see Eichel changing his stance on his medical options.  So, If BUF doesn't budge on their asking price to get a deal done, I guess they are gonna pay him $50 million over 5 years to not play hockey. Or try to void his contract, which will set off a legal Battle Royale.

Yeah, that’s the rub. Would another team sign off on a surgery that Buffalo is refusing to and take that risk on? I’m not sure why they would while paying the hefty price to acquire him. That’s why I don’t think a trade is happening until his injury situation is figured out.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

We need a lot of things to go right to get any better. IMO that is going to be good luck, not good management. Bob has done nothing to improve the team except replace the assistant coaches. Though being even a few percentage points better on the PP should give us a few more wins.

A full year of Zegras and Drysdale should make the team better, assuming they both stay with the team, but no guarantees.

Lindholm back is big for the team. Manson is meh - I'm not sure he's much better than Hakanpaa who took a lot of his minutes last season. Silf - who knows how he recovers from his injury but hopefully he's back to normal.

How many rosters around the league look worse than Anaheim? Buffalo and Arizona are clearly worse. Then New Jersey and Columbus are there or thereabouts. I don't think the Ducks roster is better than any other roster. Maybe San Jose? That puts us bottom 6 at best. But I could see this team finishing 3rd worst ahead of Buffalo and Arizona.

Imo, the Ducks are easily a bottom-3 roster and that’s only because Arizona and Buffalo are actively tanking this season. I’m surprised that Seattle is viewed favorably after they made it a point not to assemble as good of a roster as possible. Right now, I’d say the Ducks are a bottom-5 team and expect them to have a modest improvement from last season assuming they remain mostly healthy. How much the Ducks improve are dependent on how much Zegras and Drysdale contribute (Zegras putting up 40 points would pretty good imo.) Rakell and Comtois picking up their scoring and of course, how good Gibson is. I expect them to be bad but not be as much of a tire fire as last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...