Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

Is Eichel a Duck Yet?

Recommended Posts

Now the Sabres are admitting surgery is needed. But they want Eichel to get the neck fusion surgery, not the disc replacement surgery that Eichel wants. My limited understanding of the CBA is that Eichel is compelled to go with the team's recommendations for treating all injuries. So I see three scenarios:

1) Eichel gets the neck fusion surgery(not likely), goes through recovery and he get's traded once the team can present him as a healthy player.

2) Eichel refuses to get the fusion and his playability is delayed even further. At this point the Sabre's can suspend him without pay until he does comply. Eichel will lose millions of dollars.

3) Eichel gets the disc replacement surgery against the wishes of the Sabres. Buffalo can declare breach of contract and nullify the remainder of Eichel's contract.

Is there any other possibility not including a trade before Eichel's injury is resolved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Now the Sabres are admitting surgery is needed. But they want Eichel to get the neck fusion surgery, not the disc replacement surgery that Eichel wants. My limited understanding of the CBA is that Eichel is compelled to go with the team's recommendations for treating all injuries. So I see three scenarios:

1) Eichel gets the neck fusion surgery(not likely), goes through recovery and he get's traded once the team can present him as a healthy player.

2) Eichel refuses to get the fusion and his playability is delayed even further. At this point the Sabre's can suspend him without pay until he does comply. Eichel will lose millions of dollars.

3) Eichel gets the disc replacement surgery against the wishes of the Sabres. Buffalo can declare breach of contract and nullify the remainder of Eichel's contract.

Is there any other possibility not including a trade before Eichel's injury is resolved?

Man, if #3 happens Adams needs to be fired immediately. If they lose Eichel for NOTHING -- which is what I assume #3 means, he'd be a UFA -- thats INSANE.

Like at that point, trade him for whatever you can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2021 at 11:42 AM, Jasoaks said:

Man, if #3 happens Adams needs to be fired immediately. If they lose Eichel for NOTHING -- which is what I assume #3 means, he'd be a UFA -- thats INSANE.

Like at that point, trade him for whatever you can get.

I hope he does it.  I am Team Eichel on this one.  I think the Sabres have screwed this up about as badly as you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sabres are now interested letting teams see Eichel’s medical file. Not sure why this wasn’t done earlier in the process, but it’s another step towards finally ending this s-show.

Hope that Murray lost Kevyn Adams’ contact info.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sabres are now interested letting teams see Eichel’s medical file. Not sure why this wasn’t done earlier in the process, but it’s another step towards finally ending this s-show.

Hope that Murray lost Kevyn Adams’ contact info.

Is there no price at which you think it's worth it to trade for Eichel?  I'm on board with keeping Zegras, Drysdale, and our first from the upcoming draft, but if we can get him for lesser prospects and picks, I'd be down.  Sure, there's a chance he's never the same again.  There's also a chance the Ducks have very good (and possibly elite) top 2 centers for the next five years.  I think Murray should very much be involved in the discussions.  If he can pry Eichel out of there for pennies on the dollar, let's do it.

Now, I also think it's very unlikely that it happens, but it doesn't hurt to kick the tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Is there no price at which you think it's worth it to trade for Eichel?  I'm on board with keeping Zegras, Drysdale, and our first from the upcoming draft, but if we can get him for lesser prospects and picks, I'd be down.  Sure, there's a chance he's never the same again.  There's also a chance the Ducks have very good (and possibly elite) top 2 centers for the next five years.  I think Murray should very much be involved in the discussions.  If he can pry Eichel out of there for pennies on the dollar, let's do it.

Now, I also think it's very unlikely that it happens, but it doesn't hurt to kick the tires.

Not really. The price is going to be too high for me, since we’d be giving up our own 1st rounder either this year or next + a good prospect as a starting point. I refuse to risk getting Ottawa’d or San Jose’d by trading away our own pick. Unless you can trade Larsson, Lundestrom, Tracey, Steel for Eichel. Hey, That’s four first rounders!! Eichel is still going to cost a lot even if it’s not the full value that Buffalo wanted. 

My bigger issue has been where the Ducks are organizationally in the “rebuild”. If Zegras and Drysdale were our version of Pettersson/Hughes or Makar/ McKinnon then I’m much more open to trading for Eichel. I don’t want to get Eichel and see him languish while the Ducks continue to figure things out.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously Eichel has to get moved at this point. The bridges have been burned with Buffalo. But from their point of view, they are worried that if he gets this 'experimental' surgery and comes back as half the player, then his trade value has tanked. BUT no teams are going to give up the equivalent of 4 first rounders for a guy that is hurt either. So they are really stuck between a rock and a hard place. That's why they are letting teams see his medical information now. There is basically no current market for a guy with this kind of question mark hanging over his head. They are just trying to wait him out - they are thinking (hoping) he will change his mind and get the 'safer' surgery'. But at some point they are just going to have to let him get the surgery he wants and then trade him. He has no trade value right now anyway, so why not try and increase his value by letting him get the surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Sabres are now interested letting teams see Eichel’s medical file. Not sure why this wasn’t done earlier in the process, but it’s another step towards finally ending this s-show.

Hope that Murray lost Kevyn Adams’ contact info.

 

Dave Nonis and Darren Dreger are cousins. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Is there no price at which you think it's worth it to trade for Eichel?  I'm on board with keeping Zegras, Drysdale, and our first from the upcoming draft, but if we can get him for lesser prospects and picks, I'd be down.  Sure, there's a chance he's never the same again.  There's also a chance the Ducks have very good (and possibly elite) top 2 centers for the next five years.  I think Murray should very much be involved in the discussions.  If he can pry Eichel out of there for pennies on the dollar, let's do it.

Now, I also think it's very unlikely that it happens, but it doesn't hurt to kick the tires.

Bombay is 100% in on the Shane Wright sweepstakes, so any trade proposal that includes our 2022 1st will be rejected.

Personally, I think the NHL is squeezing Buffalo to make a deal now and that the price is coming way, way down. Anaheim could probably now do it for a 2022/23 protected 1st (Anaheim's choice) + Perreault + Milano + Lundestrom + Kesler, and Bob could probably even hold out a bit longer to bring that cost down a bit considering Buffalo's cap issues. This deal HAS to get done for Anaheim though. If nothing changes, Gibby is demanding a trade and Lindholm is for sure gone by next season and the defense is going to be a black hole that plagues this team for a LONG, LONG time. We have NOTHING in the pipeline to replace Lindholm any time soon, and if Gibby forces his way out the Ducks are going to ruin a 22-year-old Dostal by making him face 45 shots/game behind that awful Hampusless defense next season. On the flip side, Eichel is the type of elite talent who can make guys want to stay here, and he makes other guys want to come here (see Taylor Hall and Jeff Skinner signing in Buffalo). Heck, with that trade price, we're coming out of the Olympic break this season with Comtois-Eichel-Rakell, Henrique-Zegras-Terry, Jones-Getzlaf-Silfverberg, and a 4th line of Deslauriers/McTavish/Grant/Steel/Groulx. That's a good forward unit. 

Edit: Eichel-Zegras-Terry-Comtois-Drysdale as your PP1 doesn't suck either.

Edited by dtsdlaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bombay is 100% in on the Shane Wright sweepstakes, so any trade proposal that includes our 2022 1st will be rejected.

Personally, I think the NHL is squeezing Buffalo to make a deal now and that the price is coming way, way down. Anaheim could probably now do it for a 2022/23 protected 1st (Anaheim's choice) + Perreault + Milano + Lundestrom + Kesler, and Bob could probably even hold out a bit longer to bring that cost down a bit considering Buffalo's cap issues. This deal HAS to get done for Anaheim though. If nothing changes, Gibby is demanding a trade and Lindholm is for sure gone by next season and the defense is going to be a black hole that plagues this team for a LONG, LONG time. We have NOTHING in the pipeline to replace Lindholm any time soon, and if Gibby forces his way out the Ducks are going to ruin a 22-year-old Dostal by making him face 45 shots/game behind that awful Hampusless defense next season. On the flip side, Eichel is the type of elite talent who can make guys want to stay here, and he makes other guys want to come here (see Taylor Hall and Jeff Skinner signing in Buffalo). Heck, with that trade price, we're coming out of the Olympic break this season with Comtois-Eichel-Rakell, Henrique-Zegras-Terry, Jones-Getzlaf-Silfverberg, and a 4th line of Deslauriers/McTavish/Grant/Steel/Groulx. That's a good forward unit. 

I could even see that if Eichel doesn't play this season at least it would give some guys like Gibby another season to wait and see until he comes back because he'd be an instant boost to our offense. He could be a really good reason for guys to want to stick around. I also don't get why some keep thinking we need to move on from Lindholm and Gibby. If Lindholm refuses to sign a good deal then sure trade him. But if we lose those guys, we might as well forget about the playoffs for the next 5 to 6 years. 

If anyone doubts that Gibby is capable, look no furthur than our last preseason game. He basically stole that win for us. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

I could even see that if Eichel doesn't play this season at least it would give some guys like Gibby another season to wait and see until he comes back because he'd be an instant boost to our offense. He could be a really good reason for guys to want to stick around. I also don't get why some keep thinking we need to move on from Lindholm and Gibby. If Lindholm refuses to sign a good deal then sure trade him. But if we lose those guys, we might as well forget about the playoffs for the next 5 to 6 years. 

If anyone doubts that Gibby is capable, look no furthur than our last preseason game. He basically stole that win for us. 

Absolutely. Losing Gibby and Lindholm would actually be the thing that turns this team into the Sabres West. This defense will be so, so bad without those two guys for the next several seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Absolutely. Losing Gibby and Lindholm would actually be the thing that turns this team into the Sabres West. This defense will be so, so bad without those two guys for the next several seasons. 

Eichel/Zegras/McTavish down the middle for the next 5 years?

Yes, s'il vous plait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Eichel/Zegras/McTavish down the middle for the next 5 years?

Yes, s'il vous plait.

How good will those years be though? This year is another write-off so you have four years of Eichel but with the prospect of Gibson, Lindholm, Rakell being gone and having to fill those gaps. McTavish will still need to develop as well as Zegras and even more so with Drysdale. The time frame just doesn’t look good to prevent Eichel from wanting out of Anaheim before his contract is up, imo. Everything needs to fall into place and with a lot of unknowns going forward.

35 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bombay is 100% in on the Shane Wright sweepstakes, so any trade proposal that includes our 2022 1st will be rejected.

Personally, I think the NHL is squeezing Buffalo to make a deal now and that the price is coming way, way down. Anaheim could probably now do it for a 2022/23 protected 1st (Anaheim's choice) + Perreault + Milano + Lundestrom + Kesler, and Bob could probably even hold out a bit longer to bring that cost down a bit considering Buffalo's cap issues. This deal HAS to get done for Anaheim though. If nothing changes, Gibby is demanding a trade and Lindholm is for sure gone by next season and the defense is going to be a black hole that plagues this team for a LONG, LONG time. We have NOTHING in the pipeline to replace Lindholm any time soon, and if Gibby forces his way out the Ducks are going to ruin a 22-year-old Dostal by making him face 45 shots/game behind that awful Hampusless defense next season. On the flip side, Eichel is the type of elite talent who can make guys want to stay here, and he makes other guys want to come here (see Taylor Hall and Jeff Skinner signing in Buffalo). Heck, with that trade price, we're coming out of the Olympic break this season with Comtois-Eichel-Rakell, Henrique-Zegras-Terry, Jones-Getzlaf-Silfverberg, and a 4th line of Deslauriers/McTavish/Grant/Steel/Groulx. That's a good forward unit. 

Edit: Eichel-Zegras-Terry-Comtois-Drysdale as your PP1 doesn't suck either.

I’m not for trading our own 1st rounders for the next two years given where the Ducks will likely be in the standings. I’m taking a likely top-5 and top-10 pick over the next two years than trade for Eichel with the talent in those drafts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

How good will those years be though? This year is another write-off so you have four years of Eichel but with the prospect of Gibson, Lindholm, Rakell being gone and having to fill those gaps. McTavish will still need to develop as well as Zegras and even more so with Drysdale. The time frame just doesn’t look good to prevent Eichel from wanting out of Anaheim before his contract is up, imo. Everything needs to fall into place and with a lot of unknowns going forward.

I’m not for trading our own 1st rounders for the next two years given where the Ducks will likely be in the standings. I’m taking a likely top-5 and top-10 pick over the next two years than trade for Eichel with the talent in those drafts.

I would say "not so fast" to this year being a write-off if the Ducks trade for Eichel. If Eichel can get his surgery some time in October, he could be back in the line up after the Olympic break, which means ~30 games left in the season. If the Ducks are within 8-10 points of a playoff spot when Eichel enters the line up, this team could totally make a run for the tournament. The energy around him finally taking the ice will be next level.

I also think Eichel makes it easier to retain and attract high end talent to make success sustainable. Even with Eichel's $10M/season, the Ducks will have a boat load of cap space to add players. Like, upwards of $25M if Lindholm and Rakell walk and still more than $10M if they re-sign. Eichel attracts high-end guys to come here to fill those spots too if they walk. But no Eichel means nobody wants to come here, just like it is now.

That said, I'm not penciling in McTavish as the team's 3C until at least 2023-24. But by then you're talking about a 3-year stretch from 2023-24 to 2025-26 (the last year of Eichel's contract) with Eichel at ages 27-29, Zegras at ages 22-24, and McTavish at ages 20-22. Then when Eichel is hitting 30 and his contract expires, McTavish will be 23 and Zegras 25. Eichel is basically the perfect bridge that keeps the Ducks exciting and relevant (and a destination for other good players) until Zegras and McTavish are truly in their primes and can take the reins.

Edited by dtsdlaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I would say "not so fast" to this year being a write-off if the Ducks trade for Eichel. If Eichel can get his surgery some time in October, he could be back in the line up after the Olympic break, which means ~30 games left in the season. If the Ducks are within 8-10 points of a playoff spot when Eichel enters the line up, this team could totally make a run for the tournament. The energy around him finally taking the ice will be next level.

I also think Eichel makes it easier to retain and attract high end talent to make success sustainable. Even with Eichel's $10M/season, the Ducks will have a boat load of cap space to add players. Like, upwards of $25M if Lindholm and Rakell walk and still more than $10M if they re-sign. Eichel attracts high-end guys to come here to fill those spots too if they walk. But no Eichel means nobody wants to come here, just like it is now.

That said, I'm not penciling in McTavish as the team's 3C until at least 2023-24. But by then you're talking about a 3-year stretch from 2023-24 to 2025-26 (the last year of Eichel's contract) with Eichel at ages 27-29, Zegras at ages 22-24, and McTavish at ages 20-22. Then when Eichel is hitting 30 and his contract expires, McTavish will be 23 and Zegras 25. Eichel is basically the perfect bridge that keeps the Ducks exciting and relevant (and a destination for other good players) until Zegras and McTavish are truly in their primes and can take the reins.

While McTavish is "cooking," we stil have a useful Getzy, and an improving Lundestrom AND Groulx (he's been my pre-season "favorite up-and-comer" so far).

So I agree that, while this year might not be enough to fully make the playoffs, it would be enough to start gelling for next year and to attract some FAs and maybe some discounts among our pending UFAs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

While McTavish is "cooking," we still have a useful Getzy, and an improving Lundestrom AND Groulx (he's been my pre-season "favorite up-and-comer" so far).

So I agree that, while this year might not be enough to fully make the playoffs, it would be enough to start gelling for next year and to attract some FAs and maybe some discounts among our pending UFAs. 

We'll have to see if the shortened seasons have added mileage to Getzlaf and also if he wants to continue playing. His comments after re-signing about Bob "filling holes" in the roster made it sound like he was expecting additions to the team. If nothing is added, I'd be surprised to see him return for 2022-23. Adding Eichel may extend him in a 4C role for another 2-3+ seasons though, which I would be thrilled with. So that's yet another reason to add Eichel. They're piling up! :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Getz can still be an effective player...it never to me looked like he physically got tired or whatever...but was choosing to step back as others were supposed to step up. I think his numbers are only down 'cause the team is no longer competing...if we were, somehow, I think he would look a lot better. I think he still has some years left.

And just for the record i keep bringing up the Gibby trade idea, and not 'cause I've soured on him but 'cause he's very good, but we aren't getting the best use out of him anymore 'cause what good is having Gibby the next few years when we are just going to be meh anyways? Wed be better off trading him now and get some great things in return and hopefully Dostal isthe great goalie he seems like he could be. Gibson is going to be great for a few more years, no doubt, and if we really think we can be competing for a cup in 2 years, or start to, then yeah, we should keep him. Otherwise, it makes more sense to trade him. It's just that it's not timing out right with him, unfortunately :( 

I also think we should keep Lindholm. I'd be very sad to so him go... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I think Getz can still be an effective player...it never to me looked like he physically got tired or whatever...but was choosing to step back as others were supposed to step up. I think his numbers are only down 'cause the team is no longer competing...if we were, somehow, I think he would look a lot better. I think he still has some years left.

And just for the record i keep bringing up the Gibby trade idea, and not 'cause I've soured on him but 'cause he's very good, but we aren't getting the best use out of him anymore 'cause what good is having Gibby the next few years when we are just going to be meh anyways? Wed be better off trading him now and get some great things in return and hopefully Dostal isthe great goalie he seems like he could be. Gibson is going to be great for a few more years, no doubt, and if we really think we can be competing for a cup in 2 years, or start to, then yeah, we should keep him. Otherwise, it makes more sense to trade him. It's just that it's not timing out right with him, unfortunately :( 

I also think we should keep Lindholm. I'd be very sad to so him go... 

About Gibson. For some reason several fans on this forum believe that teams will line up for him. I did my own search about a week ago and found that 26 of 32 teams already have established #1 goalie. The other 6, they have OK goaltenders with reasonable save % and GAA but on much smaller contract than Gibson's. Edmonton and New Jersey may or may not be interested, I am not sure.

So, even if Gibson will demand a trade, I don't know if it's a good market for him right now.

He needs to have an outstanding season to increase his trade value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

About Gibson. For some reason several fans on this forum believe that teams will line up for him. I did my own search about a week ago and found that 26 of 32 teams already have established #1 goalie. The other 6, they have OK goaltenders with reasonable save % and GAA but on much smaller contract than Gibson's. Edmonton and New Jersey may or may not be interested, I am not sure.

So, even if Gibson will demand a trade, I don't know if it's a good market for him right now.

He needs to have an outstanding season to increase his trade value.

oh yeah, his value was much higher at the TDL / beginning of the off-season....wouldn't say so much right now....but as the season goes on it coudl go up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I would say "not so fast" to this year being a write-off if the Ducks trade for Eichel. If Eichel can get his surgery some time in October, he could be back in the line up after the Olympic break, which means ~30 games left in the season. If the Ducks are within 8-10 points of a playoff spot when Eichel enters the line up, this team could totally make a run for the tournament. The energy around him finally taking the ice will be next level.

I also think Eichel makes it easier to retain and attract high end talent to make success sustainable. Even with Eichel's $10M/season, the Ducks will have a boat load of cap space to add players. Like, upwards of $25M if Lindholm and Rakell walk and still more than $10M if they re-sign. Eichel attracts high-end guys to come here to fill those spots too if they walk. But no Eichel means nobody wants to come here, just like it is now.

That said, I'm not penciling in McTavish as the team's 3C until at least 2023-24. But by then you're talking about a 3-year stretch from 2023-24 to 2025-26 (the last year of Eichel's contract) with Eichel at ages 27-29, Zegras at ages 22-24, and McTavish at ages 20-22. Then when Eichel is hitting 30 and his contract expires, McTavish will be 23 and Zegras 25. Eichel is basically the perfect bridge that keeps the Ducks exciting and relevant (and a destination for other good players) until Zegras and McTavish are truly in their primes and can take the reins.

The chances aren’t zero but pretty close imo that the Ducks will be within striking distance of a playoff spot even if we did get Eichel for a chunk of games lol. Again, this team is awful and I don’t think Eichel is transforming the Ducks, especially this year. It’s not Eichel’s fault just like it wasn’t in Buffalo, but he’s not going to have good enough supporting cast here.

Eichel coming here I don’t think really influences other players to do the same or prevent Lindholm, Gibson from wanting out in the short term. Ultimately, If the team is bad or mediocre, then I don’t think that it matters all that much if he’s on the team or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

About Gibson. For some reason several fans on this forum believe that teams will line up for him. I did my own search about a week ago and found that 26 of 32 teams already have established #1 goalie. The other 6, they have OK goaltenders with reasonable save % and GAA but on much smaller contract than Gibson's. Edmonton and New Jersey may or may not be interested, I am not sure.

So, even if Gibson will demand a trade, I don't know if it's a good market for him right now.

He needs to have an outstanding season to increase his trade value.

Established goalies and better than Gibson I think are two different things. His contract isn’t bad and he’s a lock to make Team USA for Olympics. I honestly think will be the starter over Hellebyuck when it’s all said and done. 

What percentage of blame would put on Gibson for the team’s current state?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally:

- the Ducks get Eichel for pennies on the $
- lose as much as they can because the expendable’s play bad while also having good individual performances from the future core. 
- Eichel is brought along slowly and comes back 100% his old self for the final 15-20 games of the season. 
- Eichel’s/young core play inspires Lindholm/Gibson to want to be here and Lindholm re-signs at an acceptable number.    - The combination of the pre-Eichel Ducks being bad and keeping our 2022 1st means that even awesome Eichel for the final 15-20 games won’t screw over our draft position and we still end up with a top 5 pick or better.                         - Another great draft makes our prospect pool even deeper, and now it makes sense to go out and get some guys to compete for a playoff spot in 2022-2023 while bringing up all our prospects slowly over the coming years, hopefully being a true contender in 23-24 and beyond. 

This is incredibly unlikely because I think the 3 biggest long shots are:                                              

- Eichel being brought along slowly enough to not screw over our draft position by the end of the season (also being bad enough to create a big enough gap).                        - Lindholm re-signing at a good number simply because Eichel makes the team a lot better.                                          - Getting Eichel for a cheap enough return

The ideal I mentioned is probably the quickest/best way the Ducks could be good again, and it would only take another 60 games of pain for the fans. I’d actually be pretty upset if all this happened, and then dtsdlaw’s fantasy of Eichel taking us to finishing just outside or just inside the playoffs came true. The young core can still improve individually on a bad team as long as there’s light at the end of the tunnel like in my ideal scenario. The Ducks need one more McTavish/Drysdale/Zegras type talent in the rebuild along with another good looking draft overall even with Eichel aboard. 

Edited by Spencer_12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I could even see that if Eichel doesn't play this season at least it would give some guys like Gibby another season to wait and see until he comes back because he'd be an instant boost to our offense. He could be a really good reason for guys to want to stick around. I also don't get why some keep thinking we need to move on from Lindholm and Gibby. If Lindholm refuses to sign a good deal then sure trade him. But if we lose those guys, we might as well forget about the playoffs for the next 5 to 6 years. 

If anyone doubts that Gibby is capable, look no furthur than our last preseason game. He basically stole that win for us. 

Too late to trade Lindholm. He's in his final year after what is already looking like it's going to be an awful season. His value will be at an all time low. Losing him for scraps would be terrible asset managment. He needs to stay. Same for Gibson. We're worse without them and we won't get the value we want. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

About Gibson. For some reason several fans on this forum believe that teams will line up for him. I did my own search about a week ago and found that 26 of 32 teams already have established #1 goalie. The other 6, they have OK goaltenders with reasonable save % and GAA but on much smaller contract than Gibson's. Edmonton and New Jersey may or may not be interested, I am not sure.

So, even if Gibson will demand a trade, I don't know if it's a good market for him right now.

He needs to have an outstanding season to increase his trade value.

Yeah, the time to trade a starting goalie in the offseason is when free agency opens. You can look at the Kuemper trade to see the return - Arizona got a 1st, a 3rd and a bottom pair defenseman. So it's not like the return is that amazing anyway.

What could be interesting is if a team like Edmonton felt they needed goaltending help at the trade deadline to win a cup. If Mike Smith hasn't played well enough (which, let's be honest, is entirely possible considering his age) they could make a move at the deadline for that last piece. Or if a contending team loses their goaltender to injury for the rest of the year, they could take a run at Gibson at the deadline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Too late to trade Lindholm. He's in his final year after what is already looking like it's going to be an awful season. His value will be at an all time low. Losing him for scraps would be terrible asset managment. He needs to stay. Same for Gibson. We're worse without them and we won't get the value we want. 

Losing him for nothing would be even worse or any other UFA that can walk after this year. Something is better than nothing. Murray just continues to fail asset management 101

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nieder said:

Yeah, the time to trade a starting goalie in the offseason is when free agency opens. You can look at the Kuemper trade to see the return - Arizona got a 1st, a 3rd and a bottom pair defenseman. So it's not like the return is that amazing anyway.

What could be interesting is if a team like Edmonton felt they needed goaltending help at the trade deadline to win a cup. If Mike Smith hasn't played well enough (which, let's be honest, is entirely possible considering his age) they could make a move at the deadline for that last piece. Or if a contending team loses their goaltender to injury for the rest of the year, they could take a run at Gibson at the deadline.

Kuemper's 31 y/o and only has one season left on his contract. Gibson is 28 and is locked up for 6 more seasons. I would have to think Gibby brings back more than Kuemper in a trade. 

I also can't really see Gibby moving at the deadline, but if Lindholm doesn't re-sign then I could easily see Gibby traded next summer. There will be several teams in their "Cup window" who may need a top tier netminder too. Edmonton obviously. Dallas. Possibly Colorado if they don't re-sign Kuemper. Maybe Philly if Carter Hart doesn't bounce back. Chicago if they think they have another run in Kane/Toews and don't want to rely on a 38-year-old MAF. In other words, heavy hitters in the NHL. Gibby could also raise his stock with a solid performance in Beijing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Kuemper's 31 y/o and only has one season left on his contract. Gibson is 28 and is locked up for 6 more seasons. I would have to think Gibby brings back more than Kuemper in a trade. 

I also can't really see Gibby moving at the deadline, but if Lindholm doesn't re-sign then I could easily see Gibby traded next summer. There will be several teams in their "Cup window" who may need a top tier netminder too. Edmonton obviously. Dallas. Possibly Colorado if they don't re-sign Kuemper. Maybe Philly if Carter Hart doesn't bounce back. Chicago if they think they have another run in Kane/Toews and don't want to rely on a 38-year-old MAF. In other words, heavy hitters in the NHL. Gibby could also raise his stock with a solid performance in Beijing.

I didn't realise Kuemper is already in his 30s....I thought he was younger for some reason. Probably because he's only played 242 games over 10 seasons....dude can't stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...