The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
CAsFirstCup

Honda Center Reopening Policies

"Effective September 20, 2021, in accordance with State of California guidelines, guests (ages 3 and up) attending events at Honda Center will be required to show proof that they are either fully vaccinated (at least two weeks after the last dose) or received a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to the event start time."

https://www.hondacenter.com/arena-info/reopening-policies/

Since children under age 12 are not eligible for the Covid vaccines, this means children ages 3-11 will not be allowed to attend Ducks games without a negative Covid test within 72 hours of a game.

This makes absolutely no sense since the scientific data clearly shows that young children have less risk from Covid than from the seasonal flu, and carry a low viral load and aren't vectors as was feared at the outset of the pandemic.

I feel bad for fellow season ticket holders who have children in this age range as they won't be able to take them to games without paying up for Covid tests. 

According to the California Department of Public Health:

"These measures are in effect through November 1, 2021. CDPH will review these measures by October 15, 2021, to assess the need for measures after November 1, 2021."

https://covid19.ca.gov/mega-events/#more-info

I sure hope the CDPH eliminate this requirement after Nov. 1, especially for the children.  

Edited by Administrator
Turned the message political.

While it’s certainly a bummer we are in this state of the world, at least SSH and folks bringing unvaccinated folks to HC wouldn’t have to pay for a COVID test. Walgreens and CVS are all now doing free PCR testing with results next day. While certainly an inconvenience, at least it’s not the $130+ we were seeing before!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, CAsFirstCup said:

"Effective September 20, 2021, in accordance with State of California guidelines, guests (ages 3 and up) attending events at Honda Center will be required to show proof that they are either fully vaccinated (at least two weeks after the last dose) or received a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to the event start time."

https://www.hondacenter.com/arena-info/reopening-policies/

Since children under age 12 are not eligible for the Covid vaccines, this means children ages 3-11 will not be allowed to attend Ducks games without a negative Covid test within 72 hours of a game.

This makes absolutely no sense since the scientific data clearly shows that young children have less risk from Covid than from the seasonal flu, and carry a low viral load and aren't vectors as was feared at the outset of the pandemic.

I feel bad for fellow season ticket holders who have children in this age range as they won't be able to take them to games without paying up for Covid tests. 

According to the California Department of Public Health:

"These measures are in effect through November 1, 2021. CDPH will review these measures by October 15, 2021, to assess the need for measures after November 1, 2021."

https://covid19.ca.gov/mega-events/#more-info

I sure hope the CDPH eliminate this requirement after Nov. 1, especially for the children. 

This should no surprise to all Ducks Fans...I expect Junior Hockey team in my Hometown will do the same.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by Administrator
Removed comments.

11 hours ago, loggoog said:

While it’s certainly a bummer we are in this state of the world, at least SSH and folks bringing unvaccinated folks to HC wouldn’t have to pay for a COVID test. Walgreens and CVS are all now doing free PCR testing with results next day. While certainly an inconvenience, at least it’s not the $130+ we were seeing before!

Thank you for the information!  

Ugh I’m bummed about the requirements.  I run a childcare and this whole time me and my wife have felt good…since we got the vax it’s all gone downhill.  I couldn’t even get the 2nd dose because I got so Sick. Such a bummer that we have to go through this just to enjoy a live sport   

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I don't get why anybody is surprised about this. The last thing the team wants is another season with no fans because this thing is running rampant. They're playing their part to try and keep cases low. If we see a variant of this thing that is even worse than the current variants, we could see more restrictions regarding capacity, which ultimately affects the team's bottom line. I don't think this is anything but a business decision.

Re: children under 12, are Pfizer far away from releasing data on this age group? I can't remember but I think they said they would have this data by the end of the year? In that case they only have to miss games for a couple of months before they can get vaccinated. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nieder said:

I don't get why anybody is surprised about this. The last thing the team wants is another season with no fans because this thing is running rampant. They're playing their part to try and keep cases low. If we see a variant of this thing that is even worse than the current variants, we could see more restrictions regarding capacity, which ultimately affects the team's bottom line. I don't think this is anything but a business decision.

Re: children under 12, are Pfizer far away from releasing data on this age group? I can't remember but I think they said they would have this data by the end of the year? In that case they only have to miss games for a couple of months before they can get vaccinated. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

Didn't it say that you could also attend the game if you have a negative test within 72 hours?  I have an 11-year-old, and while we are hoping to get him vaccinated as soon as possible (either through him turning 12 in six months, or sooner if they begin allowing younger kids to receive the vaccine), if we really wanted to bring him to the game, we'd just go and get him tested.  I know that's harder to do for some than others, and I'm sympathetic to that, but there are places available to get tested now that aren't that inconvenient.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, CAsFirstCup said:

It's a scientific fact that Covid presents a very low HEALTH risk to children and those in contact with children.

The latter half is not factually accurate.  Viral load data has evidenced same and sometimes even more than adults since roughly this time last year.  

Here is just one of many.  https://www.massgeneral.org/news/press-release/Massachusetts-general-hospital-researchers-show-children-are-silent-spreaders-of-virus-that-causes-covid-19?ftag=MSF0951a18  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Yes, most of the studies have it as equal like this nature article.

Either way, the initial belief that it was less is no longer accurate.

Correct about the viral load being equal, but I was responding your post about children presenting a very low health risk to those that care for them, which you claimed was false based on viral loads. I don't think viral load data can be used to counter that claim any more than +/- can be used to argue whether Drew Doughty is a better or worse defenseman than Cody Ceci.

Of Americans aged 12 or older:

63% are fully vaccinated (178.56 mil)

73.8% have at least one dose (209.2 mil)

Of Americans aged 18 or older:

64.9% are fully vaccinated (167.63 mil)

75.7% have at least one dose (195.41 mil)

Of Americans aged 65 or older:

82.5% are fully vaccinated (45.11 mil)

92.8% have at least one dose (50.75 mil)

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations_vacc-total-admin-rate-total

Lets be Happy Ducks are 31 Days away from being Unleashed and Ready to HIT THE GROUND running...for their 29th season. Will there be adjustment yes But we need to stay together and United to overcome this.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

Didn't it say that you could also attend the game if you have a negative test within 72 hours?  I have an 11-year-old, and while we are hoping to get him vaccinated as soon as possible (either through him turning 12 in six months, or sooner if they begin allowing younger kids to receive the vaccine), if we really wanted to bring him to the game, we'd just go and get him tested.  I know that's harder to do for some than others, and I'm sympathetic to that, but there are places available to get tested now that aren't that inconvenient.

Yes it did.  When I posted the thread, I was unaware that Walgreen's and CVS provide free tests.  Thankfully there was a kind poster who let me know we no longer have to pay $130+ for Covid tests.

• Thanks 1

Honda Center is not only Home to Anaheim Ducks but to Ducks Fans alike...I will say this. Hockey and Ducks can bring people together...Anaheim Ducks is needed MORE THEN EVER before. And I beleive it's important for Ducks Hockey to provide sense of Community and hope.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I did not see whether they're going to be requiring masks.  I know L.A. County is doing that for indoor events, and to me, that is at least, if not more, effective in preventing the spread, as showing proof of vaccination.  Especially since it's possible to contract and spread the virus even if you've been vaccinated.

They did that for the 5 games at the end of last season, albeit with a tiny crowd, and I hope they do the same this season.  At least while we're still experiencing surges and outbreaks.

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I did not see whether they're going to be requiring masks.  I know L.A. County is doing that for indoor events, and to me, that is at least, if not more, effective in preventing the spread, as showing proof of vaccination.  Especially since it's possible to contract and spread the virus even if you've been vaccinated.

They did that for the 5 games at the end of last season, albeit with a tiny crowd, and I hope they do the same this season.  At least while we're still experiencing surges and outbreaks.

Our Anaheim Ducks and Sports team around the world are doing this...SO WE should not surprise or in shock.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

This is a health issue, not a political one.  They are trying to keep people healthy (and keep hospitals from being overrun) while also allowing businesses to function.  There is nothing political about it.

It's unfortunately both for the NHL, and we could be in for a really weird season. For example, Frank Seravalli said on the DFO Rundown podcast yesterday that somewhere between 50-100 NHL players  (~5-10%) are currently not in compliance with the NHL's vaccine protocols, many because they have eschewed the vaccines due to their own prior infections. Meanwhile, several countries in Europe are starting to recognize prior infection as an exception to their vaccine passports and there is emerging data that prior infection may be as robust, or perhaps even more robust, than vaccine-induced immunity, and so I don't think it would be a surprise if the vaccine requirement got very political once players started losing game checks because they refused a vaccine due to their pre-existing natural immunity. Many professional athletes are pretty intense about controlling what goes into their bodies (remember MacKinnon from earlier in the summer?), so it wouldn't surprise me if there were several dozen players who didn't get the jab despite the restrictions and penalties. I think that issue could get intensely political, and likely legal, if it turns out to be "face of the franchise" types.

Masking the team personnel during games too. Are they going to continue the dog and pony show with the coaches masked while they stand quietly behind the bench, and then wearing the mask as a chin strap while they yell at the refs and give instructions to their players on the bench and in the huddle during timeouts? This is not a commentary about the efficacy of masking for you and me btw, but about what a joke it was for the NHL to "require" the coaches to be masked during games for health reasons when the only time the coaches actually wore the masks was when they were standing quietly away from their players. It happened all of last season. Seriously, do a google image search for any coach last season if you need proof. Tortorella, Brind'amour, Ducharme, Trotz, etc., etc. They ALL had their masks around their chins while they're actually coaching. (Eakins probably would have done the same if he actually, you know, coached.) Yet, as far as I know, not a single coach got fined or disciplined for mask violations (unlike the NFL, where they fined coaches and teams hundreds of thousands of dollars). Bettman said at the start of the season that the league would "vigorously enforce" the masking requirement for coaches, but if it was really a health issue for the coaches and players, and not just performative politics, where were the fines? Where was the discipline? There was none.

As for masks at Honda Center this season, will paper bags on heads count?

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

The link says that they are only requiring masks for unvaccinated.  I have no idea how they plan to enforce the separation once all are in the building.

Someone can be unvaxxed, show a test result, and then simply take off their mask once they get to their seat.  Seems much easier just to say everyone has to mask up.  

55 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

The link says that they are only requiring masks for unvaccinated.  I have no idea how they plan to enforce the separation once all are in the building.

Someone can be unvaxxed, show a test result, and then simply take off their mask once they get to their seat.  Seems much easier just to say everyone has to mask up.  

This only seems workable if they also close down the concessions. Because anyone who doesn't want to wear a mask is just going to slow-eat/drink their fries and beer and claim that their mask is down because they're eating. A mask requirement would be a nightmare for the staff to enforce if there is food and drinks.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This only seems workable if they also close down the concessions. Because anyone who doesn't want to wear a mask is just going to slow-eat/drink their fries and beer and claim that their mask is down because they're eating. A mask requirement would be a nightmare for the staff to enforce if there is food and drinks.

Seems like it will be a nightmare as it is. EIther have a mask requirement or don't.  Us vaccinated can still spread, so in such a large venuw without spacing, I'm perfectly fine with it.

But if it's 50/50, you basically have no requirement unless you're asking the workers to continue to ask for status.

Edited by gotchabari
Clarifying

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Seems like it will be a nightmare as it is. EIther have a mask requirement or don't.  Us vaccinated can still spread, so in such a large venuw without spacing, I'm perfectly fine with it.

But if it's 50/50, you basically have no requirement unless you're asking the workers to continue to ask for status.

I'm not sure why it's so complicated.  Everyone who shows proof of vaccination, gets a wristband.  If you're not wearing a wristband, you're wearing a mask.  Get seen without a wristband or a mask, and not actively eating/drinking, you get a warning.  2nd time, you're shown the door.  This way, those who are vaxxed and don't want to wear a mask, don't have to.

Edited by HockeyIzCool

2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I'm not sure why it's so complicated.  Everyone who shows proof of vaccination, gets a wristband.  If you're not wearing a wristband, you're wearing a mask.  Get seen without a wristband or a mask, and not actively eating/drinking, you get a warning.  2nd time, you're shown the door.  This way, those who are vaxxed and don't want to wear a mask, don't have to.

Yep, that's one way to do it.  I guess I just don't exepct that from them, as anyone unvaxxed could complain about being outed.

4 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

It’s an ice rink. It’s cold. I guarantee the ushers will not be able to see wristbands under the sleeves of jerseys and jackets. It’s just not practical.

• Like 1

I just hope that things go....well YES I am not Local Ducks Fan but I have always made pilgrimmage to see our Ducks each year before the Pandemic Hit.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

18 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Has anyone even paid any attention to those that are wearing masks? Half of them have the mask below their noses. I would love to have a dollar for everyone who wears their mask incorrectly. You think the ushers are going to police everyone exposing their nostrils? 

And DTS is right, the coaches (who have to be vaccinated), are standing behind their players (who are unmasked, but vaccinated), but in front of a plexiglass divider, wearing a mask. Then they're removing their mask every time they have something to say. It's ludicrous. 

5 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Has anyone even paid any attention to those that are wearing masks? Half of them have the mask below their noses. I would love to have a dollar for everyone who wears their mask incorrectly. You think the ushers are going to police everyone exposing their nostrils? 

And DTS is right, the coaches (who have to be vaccinated), are standing behind their players (who are unmasked, but vaccinated), but in front of a plexiglass divider, wearing a mask. Then they're removing their mask every time they have something to say. It's ludicrous. 

We haven't been to a ton of highly populated places that still have the mask requirement, but we did go to Knott's after it opened up and there were employees whose job it was to tell people to pull their masks over their nose.  My thought was, "Good for them!  But man, that's got to be a rough job."  I didn't notice anyone doing that at the Angel game we went to. 

1 hour ago, Gorbachav55 said:

We haven't been to a ton of highly populated places that still have the mask requirement, but we did go to Knott's after it opened up and there were employees whose job it was to tell people to pull their masks over their nose.  My thought was, "Good for them!  But man, that's got to be a rough job."  I didn't notice anyone doing that at the Angel game we went to. 

We were at Knott's on June 18th and there was none of that going on. Inside or outside. For any ages. 

1 hour ago, Gorbachav55 said:

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

We were at Knott's on June 18th and there was none of that going on. Inside or outside. For any ages. 

I went to Knotts a bunch last year and they were being more strict...and the few times lately it's been essentially non-existant.

Disneyland on the other hand......they are being very on top of it for anything indoor.

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

I went to Knotts a bunch last year and they were being more strict...and the few times lately it's been essentially non-existant.

Disneyland on the other hand......they are being very on top of it for anything indoor.

What's your definition of "indoor"? We were there in July and in the ride queues for Indiana Jones, Star Wars Smuggler's Run, Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, Star Tours, and Pirates of the Caribbean, which are all mostly indoors, I saw lots of kids under 12 without masks on (or on their chins), and the cast members said nothing to them or their parents. Same for the main Disney store in Downtown Disney. Just my opinion, but I think it's too much of an ask for venue employees to enforce a mask mandate when there are legitimate/approved reasons to remove the mask, such as eating or drinking. I suspect it will be the same at Ducks games.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

What's your definition of "indoor"? We were there in July and in the ride queues for Indiana Jones, Star Wars Smuggler's Run, Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, Star Tours, and Pirates of the Caribbean, which are all mostly indoors, I saw lots of kids under 12 without masks on (or on their chins), and the cast members said nothing to them or their parents. Same for the main Disney store in Downtown Disney. Just my opinion, but I think it's too much of an ask for venue employees to enforce a mask mandate when there are legitimate/approved reasons to remove the mask, such as eating or drinking. I suspect it will be the same at Ducks games.

I mean, that is my definition of indoor lol but I was there last week and they wouldn't let people in unless they had an approved mask...and yeah I saw that, too, indoors, but cast members would come up and politely ask them to put it back up....I dunno. I agree it's tough to enforce. Especially when others aren't 'cause they are eating. I basically saw none of that in restaurants. Just stores/queues.

Also when I went in May it was SUPER enforced even if you were outside and not at a designated dining area. They would get on you if you were walking down the street and drinking from a water bottle. But that was right when they reopened. 25% capacity...6 feet markers apart in the queue...sigh...it was so nice.