The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jasoaks

Is This Correct?

Now lets all pretend that Nashville and Phoenix don't play tomorrow...

And that Dallas wins tonight...and the Ducks win tomorrow...

This would put the Ducks at 97 pts, and clinch a playoff spot, correct?

BUT!

Wouldn't this keep the Ducks in 7th due to games played? So they would clinch, be in 7th, and 6th and 5th place still wouldn't have clinched...right?

Now lets all pretend that Nashville and Phoenix don't play tomorrow...

And that Dallas wins tonight...and the Ducks win tomorrow...

This would put the Ducks at 97 pts, and clinch a playoff spot, correct?

BUT!

Wouldn't this keep the Ducks in 7th due to games played? So they would clinch, be in 7th, and 6th and 5th place still wouldn't have clinched...right?

Yes... but only because the NHL has an odd standings procedure that factors in games played, as if they feel that every team won't get to 82 games.

Yes... but only because the NHL has an odd standings procedure that factors in games played, as if they feel that every team won't get to 82 games.

Haha, that's awesome!!! I kinda wish I could see that happen...

I believe there would've been a point this season where Anaheim led the pacific division if the NHL didn't use GP as a tiebreaker. Would've been nice to say "Yah, we in first place!" once this (regular)season. I'm sure we will get that opportunity though in about two months ;)

IMHO, one of the dumbest things in pro sports. GP's shouldn't be a tie breaker because they will never break a meaningful tie. It's used because of the NHL's dumb OTL stat...

On a related note... while watching Colorado mail it in vs Dallas saw a graphic about Joe Sacco's coaching record.

72-72-17 which they said was .500

Really, with OTL's counted as ties, the NHL might not have a coach with a losing record currently behind the bench.

IMHO, one of the dumbest things in pro sports. GP's shouldn't be a tie breaker because they will never break a meaningful tie. It's used because of the NHL's dumb OTL stat...

Since everyone DOES play the same games, I don't think it's fair to say they use it as a "tie breaker." They use it as a mid-season marker to indicate that, of two teams with equal points, one of them might have a slight edge in that they have more games in which to earn more.

On the flipside, using that indicator prevents teams that are ahead due to many GP's from feeling they are truly that high, only to fall shortly thereafter.

I agree that as the season winds down it is less important, but when teams have 4-5 GP differences between them in January, I think it is very relevant and not dumb at all.