The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kanauhtli

Nhl Draft 2011

I opened this topic to have a discussion on the draft and any possible trades after the playoffs. So far the NHL has these teams selecting.

1. Edmonton

2. Colorado

3. Florida

4. New Jersey (Lottery Winners)

5. NY Islanders

6. Ottawa

7. Atlanta

8. Columbus

9. Boston (From Toronto)

10. Minnesota

11. Colorado (St. Louis)

12. Carolina

13. Calgary

14. Dallas

NJ won the lottery and moved up to a great spot (4th overall). Edmonton will have the first overall pick for the second year.

Any thoughts?

Why was the lottery so soon? And what do you mean they won the lottery? Wasn't it like a week before the draft this past year?

1) Last year it was held on 4/13.

2) The lottery allows the last three team the ability to get the 1 overall pick in the draft. Fourth place team can only move up one spot. The rest of the teams have a small percentage of moving up three spots. New Jersey was 7th and since they won the lottery (chosen first by the ball machine) they moved up to 4th. I could go into details but they are complicated and unnecessary to understand the procedure.

3) The remaining teams are determined by the round they are eliminated.

I opened this topic to have a discussion on the draft and any possible trades after the playoffs. So far the NHL has these teams selecting.

1. Edmonton

2. Colorado

3. Florida

4. New Jersey (Lottery Winners)

5. NY Islanders

6. Ottawa

7. Atlanta

8. Columbus

9. Boston (From Toronto)

10. Minnesota

11. Colorado (St. Louis)

12. Carolina

13. Calgary

14. Dallas

NJ won the lottery and moved up to a great spot (4th overall). Edmonton will have the first overall pick for the second year.

Any thoughts?

Hopkins and Hall would make a lethal pair of forwards for Edmonton. It's sad that a team has to be so bad to put together a competitive team.

Hopkins and Hall would make a lethal pair of forwards for Edmonton. It's sad that a team has to be so bad to put together a competitive team.

I agree that Hopkins has the potential to be a franchise player like Getzlaf and Thornton. But Dreger has stated that the Oilers might put that pick up for auction.

I agree that Hopkins has the potential to be a franchise player like Getzlaf and Thornton. But Dreger has stated that the Oilers might put that pick up for auction.

That's interesting. That suggests to me that ownership might be getting sick and tired of seeing this team wallow in the basement, and they want Tambellini to make a playoff push starting next season. That might come back to bite them, but it could pay off huge too. There has to be a couple of teams who would pay quite a bit for a talent like Hopkins. I haven't seen a lot of him, but what I have seen is impressive. He seems to really see the ice well.

If I were Edmonton I'd want overpayment. Equal value wouldn't cut it. If teams aren't willing to give me more than that I'd take my toys and go home. I'm either going to end up with Hopkins, or enough assets for the 1st overall pick that I won't miss him for the immediate future. The assets would help me take the Oilers out of the basement and back into the playoffs, while Hopkins would be a major piece of a youth rebuild that has already begun. It's win-win.

That's interesting. That suggests to me that ownership might be getting sick and tired of seeing this team wallow in the basement, and they want Tambellini to make a playoff push starting next season. That might come back to bite them, but it could pay off huge too. There has to be a couple of teams who would pay quite a bit for a talent like Hopkins. I haven't seen a lot of him, but what I have seen is impressive. He seems to really see the ice well.

If I were Edmonton I'd want overpayment. Equal value wouldn't cut it. If teams aren't willing to give me more than that I'd take my toys and go home. I'm either going to end up with Hopkins, or enough assets for the 1st overall pick that I won't miss him for the immediate future. The assets would help me take the Oilers out of the basement and back into the playoffs, while Hopkins would be a major piece of a youth rebuild that has already begun. It's win-win.

It's a win/win only if you ignore that keeping him would likely mean another season at the bottom of the standings.. Maybe not last place overall again, but close. Unless Ryan turns out to be the next closest thing to Crosby scoring 100 points in his rookie season, but that's a stretch. Don't get me wrong, given the circumstances for Edmonton, this is the best spot they could be in. I just think it's a win/win in a while rather than an immediate solution to their problems.