The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iheartducks

Nbc, Versus Set To Announce Deal To Retain Nhl Tv Rights

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/04/19/NBC-NHL.aspx

NBC and Versus have agreed to a deal to renew the NHL’s TV rights, according to execs close to the deal. A formal announcement is expected to come this afternoon. Specific deal terms are not known, but the bidding had gone above $200M per year. Fox pulled out of the bidding last week, and Turner pulled out yesterday, saying it could not find a business model to support the money the NHL appears to be getting in this negotiation. The NHL never came back to ESPN with a final bid, sources said. ESPN’s interest in picking up the package stayed until the end of the bidding process. But sources said it was too difficult for the NHL and ESPN to work around NBC and Versus’ matching rights.

The NHL’s rights fee is believed to exceed – by far – the $120M per-year average that ESPN paid from '99-'04, which marked the NHL’s largest contract to date. The league’s current deal with Versus is for $77.5M per year, while NBC has a revenue-sharing deal that does not involve a rights fee. Many execs inside the NHL favored ESPN, believing a deal with the network would guarantee more coverage on popular shows like “SportsCenter.” But NBC and Versus determined that the package was too important for Versus to lose. This marks the first big media rights negotiation since Comcast acquired NBC.

unbelievable... you'd think the NHL wants their product on a channel that people actually have.

If they want to compete with ESPN, then they need to not be so east coast centric. All baseball season long all you hear is Yankees - red sox, red sox - Yankees. If espn actually covered hockey I'm sure it would be all Pittsburgh and Washington, like the NHL already shoves down our throats.

Ugh, does Versus/NBC ever show a West vs West game unless it involves Detroit or Vancouver? It doesn't feel like it, maybe once on a blue moon. The fact the Ducks have yet to be on NBC this season is a joke. I was hoping ESPN would get it, the NHL doesn't get enough exposure with the way things currently are.

Ugh, does Versus/NBC ever show a West vs West game unless it involves Detroit or Vancouver? It doesn't feel like it, maybe once on a blue moon. The fact the Ducks have yet to be on NBC this season is a joke. I was hoping ESPN would get it, the NHL doesn't get enough exposure with the way things currently are.

It's going to take nothing short of the Ducks winning four back to back Stanley Cups to get NBC exposure. Plus the Kings really restrained the marketability of the Ducks. Specifically no Saturday games and Sunday games have to be in the evening. Ducks cannot advertise in LA county and even some parts of Orange County. That just works against the Ducks.

Im not sure if I like this idea. This past season I noticed at least 3 games on nbc and all were Boston games. Plus, as I understand it they're only going show "games of the week" what does that mean? I like how I could catch all the games either on fswest, primeticket, or kdoc. And will be very piddleed if its not the same next season