The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeyDurden

Latest On Erat?

Not real familiar with Nick Kypreos but he tweeted this a few minutes ago:

interesting ... wonder if this is just his speculation?

Kypreos had his career ended by a concussion so I can see why he's passionate about the subject. But I've never seen someone get suspended for a clean hit that happened to be interference so.. And besides, how many minutes does Ruutu play a game? Suspend him, I doubt it will make much of a difference except maybe making our already well earned dirty rep look worse.:rolleyes:

Vishnovsky made of glass? are you kidding me? he has come back from all the injuries that he has suffered the game before and all of them that looked like he could of been out for a while he is right back in the next game. How is he made of glass, he is pretty tough if he is coming back the next game every time.

Let's play JEOPARDY!

I'll take FRAGILE DEFENSEMEN for $100 Alex.

Answer is: Visnovsky is partially made of glass.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Question is: Why does he have to "come back" in the first place?

The hit was late and interference for sure... really don't know what Ruutu was thinking but he's played with rocks in his head for years. That one play could have been pivotal if Nashville capitalized on the subsequent power play.

Didn't they score on that PP or was I thinking of another? I could have sworn it was that one because in the back of my mind I was thinking "great....another pp goal by Nashville on another bad call."

By "bad" I was referring to the linesmen calling the penalty and not the referee. While I agree it was an interference, there was no penalty being called on that particular play.

I'm really confused as to how he got hurt. Legitimately - I'm not trying to be purposefully obtuse. It looked like a shoulder to shoulder check. It was definitely late and deserved an interference penalty (although it's incredible that neither ref made a call, including the guy standing ten feet away from the play), but dirty? I don't even think it deserved a "controversial" tag.

I'll admit, the first thing I thought was "dive." After Erat stayed down, I don't think that's true, but I'm still really confused as to where in that play he got injured. I didn't see any contact with the head.

Even though he knew Ruutuu was coming, he didn't prepare for any contact. With him hit in the upper chest to shoulder area, I think he really got his bell run from just a lot of force.

Let's play JEOPARDY!

I'll take FRAGILE DEFENSEMEN for $100 Alex.

Answer is: Visnovsky is partially made of glass.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Question is: Why does he have to "come back" in the first place?

Umm you get up after taking a shot from a guy named doug murray 5 seconds after you shoot the puck and getting landed on top of and smashed into the boards by this beast of a guy. He appeared to hurt his shoulder which he has had problems with so the fact that he comes back the next game and plays proves he isnt made of glass like you say

The hit was late and interference for sure... really don't know what Ruutu was thinking but he's played with rocks in his head for years. That one play could have been pivotal if Nashville capitalized on the subsequent power play.

Ruutu was thinking about making an open ice hit, I don't have a problem with that other than it was late. And they did score on the power play.

I hope it's not a head injury and that Erat will be alright.

Kypreos had his career ended by a concussion so I can see why he's passionate about the subject. But I've never seen someone get suspended for a clean hit that happened to be interference so.. And besides, how many minutes does Ruutu play a game? Suspend him, I doubt it will make much of a difference except maybe making our already well earned dirty rep look worse.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info on Kypreos.

Bob McKenzie has now tweeted a couple of times:

Ruutu hit on Erat appears late. Our video guy says 24 frames from release of puck to contact. 30 frames=1 sec. NHL std: > .5 secs is late.

Suspension? All due respect, does it matter? Ruutu plays 6 mins/game. Real issue is if Erat can play in Game 5. Didn't come back after hit.

As to the poster above wondering if Erat "dived" ... I would think he would have returned had he not been injured. I agree, I can't really see where he got injured ... maybe he got it on the button? He has been injured lately so might have reaggravated that old "upper body injury."

Umm you get up after taking a shot from a guy named doug murray 5 seconds after you shoot the puck and getting landed on top of and smashed into the boards by this beast of a guy. He appeared to hurt his shoulder which he has had problems with so the fact that he comes back the next game and plays proves he isnt made of glass like you say

He left the game and didn't return - that's the point.

Sigh.

Visnovsky missed 10+ games in 6 of his 10 professional seasons. Misses a game here, misses a game there... leaves games all the time. He's NOT known for being durable...

PS: Gaborik who is know to be a skating injury risk as well, missed 10+ games in 5 out of his 11 seasons...

I'll give the Ducks their due ... you PP just kills us ... still feel we're the better team 5 on 5 but we can't seem to stay out of the penalty box. I knew we needed the first goal in the third period after rallying to tie at three ... Ducks came out and stepped on our throat.

At least tonight, even strength was 3-2, plus the shortie probably counts as non-PP to make it 4-2.

Rinne didn't seem as strong tonight, he almost got caught out of the net AGAIN like he did a couple times Sunday. Has he always had puck-handling problems and I just never noticed?

I can vaguely remember Hazy, Ahlers,or someone mentioning that Erat didn't play in the Preds last two games of the season because of a back injury. i could be imagining I heard something though, but a back injury could make sense. The hit was clean but it could have aggravated his back or all the twisting and flailing he did, which I believed he did to draw the call, could have aggravated it. I am only 20, so I have never experienced back pains or anything like that, but I feel like a hard clean hit could make back problems come back up.

^Still my #2 greatest Ducks moment of all time. It's a shame his brain has the consistency of a melted slurpee now. The pond could use more moments like that although we've seen our fair share of DID THAT JUST HAPPEN HOLY SHOCK AND AWE BATMAN YEAH!! moments this year. Thanks Teemu :)

A solid hit like that would drop anybody who isn't ready for it. It wasn't dirty, it was shoulders to shoulders. I can never understand how 1 second is considered "late" because 1 second in real time is a mere blink of an eye. If 1 second after puck release is a late hit, they might as well just start blowing the whistle every other hits.

You never want to see people get injured, but that hit wasn't dirty or late. I wouldn't even think so if it was a Duck player that got rocked in that situation.

Interference...maybe. He followed through on the check. If you want to take the replay and analyze it then according to Bob MacKenzie it was late enough to be called. But that doesn't get called all the time and it wasn't going to get called tonight if Erat prepares for the bump or pops back up off the ice. There was a ref looking right at the play with his arms down the entire time.

You don't normally get those open ice hits that hard and I bet Ruutu wasn't expecting Erat to not move out of the way. I think it's clean. You don't suspend a player for an extra half a second on an interference call, if you deem the hit illegal.

Haha ... well played.

Didn't look as bad on the replay as it did live, but it was a bit late. Erat missed the last two regular season games with the dreaded "upper body injury" so maybe it's a reaggravation of a prior injury?

Word on twitter from local Preds beat writer was that Erat had been taken to the "quiet room" as required by the NHL when head injury occurs. Bad news for the Preds if he's out in Game 5.

I'll give the Ducks their due ... you PP just kills us ... still feel we're the better team 5 on 5 but we can't seem to stay out of the penalty box. I knew we needed the first goal in the third period after rallying to tie at three ... Ducks came out and stepped on our throat.

Is the upper body injury shoulder or back related? I won't call it a flop if he has bad shoulder and Rutuu hit him in the shoulder...a dislocated shoulder can hurt.

But if that's not the case, I hate to suggest it, but Erat may have hurt himself with the embelishment.

(p.s. the check was close enough to interference, but it was a legal check save for the fact that Erat didn't have the puck anymore. I don't disagree with an interference call, I just wonder if the embelishment had some unforeseen consequences.)

I was able to find clips of the hit on several different websites about 1/2 an hour ago. I watched the hit over and over, in slow mo, etc. Ruutu's skates never left the ice, he did not blindside Erat, he could see him coming at that angle. erat's head was not hit directly, it was shoulder to shoulder. I know that Erat has had back problems, so maybe the force of the hit reinjured him, but from what I could see, it was completely legal, albeit probably late, for which Ruutu received a two minute minor for. The weird thing is that when I went back to copy a link to the video of the hit, it was taken off of every one of the websites that I had seen it on.........hmmmmm.....? All of the websites were acusing Ruutu of an "illegal head shot" and saying that it was going to be reviewed by the NHL and that he should get suspended several games, etc. people need to chill out! every time someone gets hit hard now, everyone is yelling "off with their heads"....... "needs a suspension"......."dirty cheap shot".....geeze, this is hockey, players unfortunately get injured now and then on perfectly legal hits. I hope the best for Erat, but if Ruutu gets suspended for this hit......I will be speechless.......

...I hate to suggest it, but Erat may have hurt himself with the embelishment.

I was wondering that myself tonight.

The way he covered his face. I thought he was trying to embellish a hit to the head. Kinda like Blake tonight with the high stick. He was down, poked his head up just enough to see the refs were around then put his head back down. Yes he got highsticked, yes there was blood. But he stayed down to draw attention to himself.

But if Erat's had prior shoulder problems then, well. I'm eating crow.

I really didn't think about it being a dirty hit. I don't think it was. I think it was a hockey play that ended up in an injury for us unfortunately. It appeared it was borderline interference and I'll certainly take the PP goal after it.

Rinne letting all those softies in...I just wonder if he can bounce back. He hasn't been very good positionally in the series.

The Ducks were strong on the puck and I like Randy's use of 7 D-men.

I had a bad feeling about this game. We've never one 3 games in a series and we've never won an elimination game, so if the Ducks win game 5 then they should like their chances to clinch in 6.

I feel like Bob's cousin Bill in Ground Hog Day :(

I thought it was a good hit and that is probably why the ref (standing very close to the play) did not call a penalty. We rarely see a linesmen call a penalty. I did not know they could do that. Oh well.

I hope he is okay too.

If Erat had a previous injury to that same area, maybe the hit by Ruuto re-injured it. That is a chance you take in coming back from an injury too soon or play in the NHL. Injuries happen.

We have seen many more hits on our Ducks during this series and no calls against the Preds. That first game when Teemu was ran into the boards. I still get mad when I think about that hit

I thought it was a good hit and that is probably why the ref (standing very close to the play) did not call a penalty. We rarely see a linesmen call a penalty. I did not know they could do that. Oh well.

I hope he is okay too.

If Erat had a previous injury to that same area, maybe the hit by Ruuto re-injured it. That is a chance you take in coming back from an injury too soon or play in the NHL. Injuries happen.

We have seen many more hits on our Ducks during this series and no calls against the Preds. That first game when Teemu was ran into the boards. I still get mad when I think about that hit

I think that this is the most likely scenario...he'd lost teeth, the jaw and mouth have to be sore, and that contact was in that area. Ouch.

Aggravation of prior injury makes the most sense. There wasn't contact with the head that I could see, and I watched it repeatedly. If he was just embellishing, he would have come back in the third. I don't think he dove or embellished, but I also don't think Ruutu deserves any more than the two minute minor he got. It was late, but in no way dirty. No elbows, no head contact, no leaving the feet.

If Ruutu gets a suspension for this hit, then we might as well ban all hits in hockey! It is very unfortunate that Erat was hurt, but I can't see anything illegal, other than it was a bit late, for which he took a penalty. websites are saying that Erat was "blindsided", But I remember Hazy saying that it looked to him like Erat was caught admiring the pass he had just made and maybe wasn't paying attention to his surroundings and so he failed to prepare himself for the hit. At this point, I won't even speculate anymore, how the NHL will handle it. The rules are clear, but the decisions seem to be all over the place....... :blink: Time will tell.

Erat had no idea Ruutu was there because he was admiring his pass. I don't think there was any dive or embellishment, but both him and Ruutu were surprised by the amount of contact on that hit.

the best idea I guess is the re-aggravation of the back injury.

Keep your head up in the playoffs. Star players are going to get run. No one points a finger at Chicago for trying to hurt Pronger in the finals.

Vishnovsky made of glass? are you kidding me? he has come back from all the injuries that he has suffered the game before and all of them that looked like he could of been out for a while he is right back in the next game. How is he made of glass, he is pretty tough if he is coming back the next game every time.

What kind of injuries are you talking about? He takes a hard hit, gets off the ice, and comes back 5 minutes later. Those aren't injuries. He heads to the locker room more than any other player I've ever seen in an Anaheim uniform.

Erat had no idea Ruutu was there because he was admiring his pass. I don't think there was any dive or embellishment, but both him and Ruutu were surprised by the amount of contact on that hit.

the best idea I guess is the re-aggravation of the back injury.

Keep your head up in the playoffs. Star players are going to get run. No one points a finger at Chicago for trying to hurt Pronger in the finals.

The thing that bothers me is that Ruutu didn't even come in on his blind side. Erat should have been able to tell there was a player coming in that direction. He wasn't just admiring his pass, he was oblivious.

To me this is a 2-minute interference penalty, and a marginal one at that. It certainly didn't appear to be excessively late, more questionably late.

The thing that bothers me is that Ruutu didn't even come in on his blind side. Erat should have been able to tell there was a player coming in that direction. He wasn't just admiring his pass, he was oblivious.

To me this is a 2-minute interference penalty, and a marginal one at that. It certainly didn't appear to be excessively late, more questionably late.

Spot on.

If Erat was paying attention then the hit would be closer to a shoulder bump and there would be no call. It's hard to fault Ruutu for not knowing if a player looking at him doesn't see him.