The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iheartducks

2 Line Pass

What was the purpose of having the 2-line pass rule? There had to be some benefits to it right?

If I remember correctly it was used to slow the game and keep scoring down. Pretty much keep games close like a 2-1 or 1-0 matter. Back then it was easy for players to score and games to end up like 7-5. Hopefully that helps

If I remember correctly it was used to slow the game and keep scoring down. Pretty much keep games close like a 2-1 or 1-0 matter. Back then it was easy for players to score and games to end up like 7-5. Hopefully that helps

Well... I think it's a bit of the reverse in that they eliminated it in 2005 to open the game up to more scoring. The original rule was in place to prevent players from cheating on the offensive side of the red line - much the same way as the current off sides rule.

Well... I think it's a bit of the reverse in that they eliminated it in 2005 to open the game up to more scoring. The original rule was in place to prevent players from cheating on the offensive side of the red line - much the same way as the current off sides rule.

I wanted to say that but my bias kinda got in the way. I hardly remember the rule because I didn't start watching hockey until 98.

Didn't it also prevent players from getting hit with their head down, trying to pick up the long range pass? I'm perfectly happy that the onus is on the players to keep their heads up.

Abolishing two line pass has done nothing to open up the game or increase scoring, in my opinion. When they originally abolished it, they concurrently relaxed the standards for icing by stating that icing shall not be called on attempted stretch passes. That clause was applied generously for the first season after the lockout. Now it is very rarely considered. Occasionally linesmen wave-off icing when the puck jumps someone's stick, but that's about it. So nowadays, instead of stopping the play for two-line passes every couple of minutes, we stop the play for icing every couple of minutes (icings are waaay up according to Hockey Analytics).

Also, defensemen have tended to set up at their own blue line instead of at the center red line after two-line pass was abolished. Coupled with the fact that they shrunk the neutral zone by moving the blue lines closer together, one could argue that it's harder than ever to move the puck through the neutral zone. That's why you see so much dump and chase these days; before the lockout you couldn't dump and chase effectively because the defense would just clutch and grab anyone trying to chase the puck, today you almost NEED to dump and chase because you can't skate through the neutral zone and defensemen aren't allowed to touch anyone when the puck is loose.

Abolishing two line pass has done nothing to open up the game or increase scoring, in my opinion. When they originally abolished it, they concurrently relaxed the standards for icing by stating that icing shall not be called on attempted stretch passes. That clause was applied generously for the first season after the lockout. Now it is very rarely considered. Occasionally linesmen wave-off icing when the puck jumps someone's stick, but that's about it. So nowadays, instead of stopping the play for two-line passes every couple of minutes, we stop the play for icing every couple of minutes (icings are waaay up according to Hockey Analytics).

Also, defensemen have tended to set up at their own blue line instead of at the center red line after two-line pass was abolished. Coupled with the fact that they shrunk the neutral zone by moving the blue lines closer together, one could argue that it's harder than ever to move the puck through the neutral zone. That's why you see so much dump and chase these days; before the lockout you couldn't dump and chase effectively because the defense would just clutch and grab anyone trying to chase the puck, today you almost NEED to dump and chase because you can't skate through the neutral zone and defensemen aren't allowed to touch anyone when the puck is loose.

Getzlaf is lazy, doesn't deserve to be Captain, and Carlyle's system holds everyone back.

PS: Nice explanation.

How dare Carlyle adopt a system that takes advantage of modern rule changes!

For real though, anyone who calls Carlyle's system outdated or ancient should watch some of the classic games on NHL Network, particularly from the 80s. How much dump and chase do you see? Almost none. Players passed and weaved through the large neutral zone, wearing reasonably sized equipment, while they slapped and elbowed away all the defenders trying to hook them and hold them. In today's game the only way to navigate through the tiny neutral zone filled with players wearing combat suits is to either dump and chase, or dangle and stickhandle, which is why the only teams that manage to play a style oriented around puck possession are teams with ludicrously skilled stickhandlers like Detroit ( :blink: DATSYUK :blink: , Zetterberg, Lidstrom), Washington (Backstrom, Ovechkin, Green), and Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin).

I hate offsides in soccer, and so I was glad to see the two line pass go away in hockey. Soccer would be so much more watchable a sport if the offsides rule went bye-bye. Afterall, full backs should be playing in position, and if they're not? It's certianly not the offensive player's fault. Nevermind the incorrect calls that soccer referees have the opportunity to make thanks to the offsides rule.

Which brings me to another point, can you imagine, with the current quality of NHL officiating, how many times the linesmen would be making the wrong call on a two line pass? The less rules there are, the less often an official can screw them up. That's what I say, ha ha.