Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockeyhot-ad1

Why Has My Screen Name Changed?

2 posts in this topic

When I originally signed on to this message board, my screen name was Hockeyhot. Now there's an -ad1 attached to the end of my screen name. I've noticed this on a few other screen names as well. Why/how did this happen and how can I get rid of this -ad1 addition? Thanks.

---Dave

When I originally signed on to this message board, my screen name was Hockeyhot. Now there's an -ad1 attached to the end of my screen name. I've noticed this on a few other screen names as well. Why/how did this happen and how can I get rid of this -ad1 addition? Thanks.

---Dave

Last year the NHL decided that all teams would be hosted under one (their) umbrella.

In the process of combining the boards, and importing the user names, there were actually some duplicates in user names across the 30 different teams. For example, if Detroit had a user name Hockeyhot, we did also, and San Jose did also, the first team to be imported obtained the name by itself. After that initial import, as teams fans were imported, the name already existed, so to differentiate, they add the -ad1 to show the import was from Anaheim Ducks. Shortly after many of the teams were imported, we started asking for help with the import, as many users were taken back by the addition of the suffix.

We stressed that it was not acceptable to many of our members, and within a short period of time they gave us the ability to actually change our user names.

The real bummer of it was so many of us thought we were original with our names, but soon found out we weren't and this is what happened. The good news is you can now pick a new screen name or modify your existing one somehow to keep it very close to the original one, or customize it with something of your choice.

I hope that clears it up somehow, and you can thank the NHL for not just assigning you an arbitrary screen name somewhat similar to your original name.

Good luck deciding, and try to come up with something unique.

Admin Ken