SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Last Night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 RobD360

RobD360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

We did not deserve to win last night. Only reason we got up 4-0 was because of the 5 min major we were given. Kudos however for a fantastic powerplay BUT seriously.... How can we totally get owned right after that and pretty much allow VAN to catch up and almost best us?? If it were'nt for Hiller we would have lost yet again. Def not impressed what so ever. Good on Cogs and Holland to get their goals since it should help boost their confidence and new career with the Ducks.

#2 ZTHER

ZTHER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,058 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

We did not deserve to win last night. Only reason we got up 4-0 was because of the 5 min major we were given. Kudos however for a fantastic powerplay BUT seriously.... How can we totally get owned right after that and pretty much allow VAN to catch up and almost best us?? If it were'nt for Hiller we would have lost yet again. Def not impressed what so ever. Good on Cogs and Holland to get their goals since it should help boost their confidence and new career with the Ducks.

Did you see what Vancouver did in the third that they were not doing in the 1st and 2nd?

Did you see Anaheim struggle to counter it?

#3 ducks714

ducks714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Its just so frustrating to watch the ducks play with a lead. They become so worried about staying in position that they don't put any "real" pressure on the offensive players.

The Ducks play with a lead like they do on a PK..just my 2 cents.

#4 NewfieDuck

NewfieDuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

I didn't get a chance to catch the game last night, any standouts? How was Holland? I know he got a goal, but sometimes that doesn't tell the whole story.

#5 mardy

mardy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

People need to stop being hypocrites and give credit where its due. They won, they got 2 points, and that's a big difference from a losing streak. You can't discredit them just because they were getting beat one period, while dominating the previous 2. You also can't discredit their win because they won by 1 goal. Seriously I read many news posts online that they said Ducks "barely" got by. Right so just how many 1 goal games there are and do people always talk about a team "barely" getting by when they only win by 1 game? Or a team barely getting by if their goalie had to bail them out (which is what goalies are supposed to do)?

Give the Ducks some credits people, they went out there and they played like they wanted to win. They started off slow for the first 5 minutes of the game, then the played like a dominant team up until the 3rd period. We got scoring from unlikely sources, and that's what the team has been needing for the past few years. Be happy for them for crying out loud, stop bagging on them. I have criticized the team for many weeks but even I have to say I was happy that Ducks played competitive hockey and actually won last night.

Since we are talking about if's, you could say if Hiller wasn't on top of his game, Ducks could've lost. Sure, maybe. But I can say if Vancouver got called for the several penalties that they totally deserved in the 3rd period, and had that goal taken away because Sedin clobbered Hiller in the head, that the Ducks could've shifted momentum and made the game much easier than how it turned out to be. We're talking if's right? The game could've been a lot different had Sedin been called for that goalie interference, that goal taken away, and had thte refs not put away their whistles at the start of the 3rd period.

#6 socalhkyfan

socalhkyfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

I saw what they did,, or didnt do.. They got out played big time in the third. I new it would happen, even told my wife that Van would socre at least three in the third. it was just ugly to whatch, but at least they won.

#7 ducks714

ducks714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

Don't get me wrong im very excited that they won last night but the fact that they almost blew a 3+ goal lead again concerns me.

#8 XHockeyX

XHockeyX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

If you've been watching any other games at all you will know it's very common that teams blow leads...the games are close and one team can't dominate whole 60 mins.

#9 ducks714

ducks714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

If you've been watching any other games at all you will know it's very common that teams blow leads...the games are close and one team can't dominate whole 60 mins.

That's no excuse for extremely soft passes and not moving your feet in the defensive zone.

#10 socalhkyfan

socalhkyfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

That's no excuse for extremely soft passes and not moving your feet in the defensive zone.

I agree!! They could not keep up with them in the third, and looked like they were the team that played the night before, not the canucks!

#11 RobD360

RobD360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

They almost blew a 4 goal lead for god sake!! I am one to give credit when it is certainly due but last night absolutely bad game. Yes they won but it could WAYYY easily have been another loss. I am not discrediting them because it was a win by just 1 goal; I have seen them win MANY 1 goal games and they rightfully so deserved to win those games but not last night. We played awful in the 1st and 3rd and only gained the big lead while being given a 5 min major in the 2nd how can this game be well deserved by any account??? Just because they won they still have some SERIOUS issues that need to be resolved.

#12 mardy

mardy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

...sometimes it takes a dirty, tough, hard win like this to turn a team who has lost 6 in a row around. Again, people are complaining that the Ducks beat a western conference offensive powerhouse? A team that is ranked 2nd in powerplay in the whole league but yet only scored once out of 6 chances last night?

How can you not give Ducks credit for getting this win, no matter how dirty the 3rd period became?

And we only got a big lead in the 2nd due to the 5min major, are you kidding me? Did you watch the game? Ducks scored only twice on that PP, the other 2 goals came even strength! Or do you not consider 2-0 a good lead? Geez it's never going to be easy playing against teams like Vancouver, and you would never expect to hold them to 0 goals for full 60 mins. Vancouver happens to be the team that scored 3 straight goals against the Kings the night before, and yes, they ended the game giving up 2 more goals. Oh noes I suppose they didn't deserve that win either because it was a 1 goal game and they almost blew a 3 goal lead!@#@

:rolleyes:

Edited by mardy, 12 November 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#13 NewfieDuck

NewfieDuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

They got the 2 points.. Quit being so negative guys!

#14 Thom-74

Thom-74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

turning the corner is a slow process... they didn't give up the two points tonight, and that was a big thing right now. Next big moment will be when the Ducks win their first come from behind game. Once we hit that benchmark, the Ducks will be back to their usual selves.

#15 RobD360

RobD360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

If a win is just a win then we should ignore the horrible play and lack of defense we displayed??? To me that reeks of complacency. Someone please raise their hand if they took last nights game as an improvement over the other games we have been losing?? !! Hell there were some games we have lost where they played much better but sadly lost... I for one am more satisfied when they lose but played extremely well than winning where they played like crap and almost lost A FOUR GOAL LEAD!! The Ducks got lucky last night playing scared and shotty, inconsistent hockey. Yes a win is a win but this team is still ailing and something has got to change for the better sooner than later.

#16 XHockeyX

XHockeyX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

If a win is just a win then we should ignore the horrible play and lack of defense we displayed??? To me that reeks of complacency. Someone please raise their hand if they took last nights game as an improvement over the other games we have been losing?? !! Hell there were some games we have lost where they played much better but sadly lost... I for one am more satisfied when they lose but played extremely well than winning where they played like crap and almost lost A FOUR GOAL LEAD!! The Ducks got lucky last night playing scared and shotty, inconsistent hockey. Yes a win is a win but this team is still ailing and something has got to change for the better sooner than later.

I can raise my hand, the ducks solved their main problem...scoring. The defense was a bit shaky but still decent enough to keep the lead.

#17 duckforce1

duckforce1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I was at the game last night and any suggestion that the Ducks dominated for the first two periods is wrong. They played well the first period, but in no way did they outplay Vancouver. That period was even. The Ducks dominated one period (the second) and got dominated another period (the third). A win is great, and nobody discounts that. But I would think given their recent road trip most fans would be at least a little worried by their performance in the third period last night.

#18 der_mue

der_mue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Is anyone of you guys who are discrediting the team doing some kind of teamsports? If so, you should know the following: when coming of a streak you lost 9 out of 10, your legs won't always do what you expect them to, your hands won't always do what you expect them to and on your mind is nothing but 'oh no, not another loss' - you're nothing but nervous!!!

Coming into the third period with a 4-goal lead everyone was just trying not to make any mistakes, stay in their positions and hang on for the win. You could almost discribe it as fear what's on a players mind in a situation like that. If you lose a game like that - no matter how it happens - everyone will say 'what a bunch of idiots'.

You should never forget the mental pressure the players have to stand up against - especially when not everything is going great!

The 3rd period was not good - definitely not! They'll have to work on that, but they hung on for the win and got the two points. This game should raise the confidence level of almost every player on the team and help some how to get the turnaround started!

GO DUCKS GO!!!

#19 gotchabari

gotchabari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Being gassed is, though.

I heard someone behind say "Come on, move your feet" when they had been stuck on for about 2 minutes thanks to a questionable icing. I saw poor Viz barely able to move two feet either side of the goal mouth. And this was AFTER is was already 4-3, so impressive guts on their part.

I have a comment on BOTH sides of the fence, here.

On the "why did they all of a sudden cave in the 3rd," side... Down 4, Vancouver crashed their defenseman, so it IS like playing on the PK because there is one more "forward" than normal (a defenseman playing more offensively). So we can't be THAT surprised at the third being that much more pressured.

That being said, I do find one flaw/missed opportunity with the "protect the lead" system... After the first goal, they should have gone back to being offensively agressive, risking the 2nd goal against for the potential of a game-sealing 5th goal for. That's one thing we never seem to do. When we are playing from behind and crashing the defenders and coming up from the blue line, we often get caught with a breakaway the other direction. When we are protecting a lead, we never seem to be opportunistic in that way, nor do we even seem to try.

With a one goal lead, it isn't worth it, but at 3 goals, that was the time to try, and we didn't. I dislike that.

They won't learn anything from it, though, because RC says you never critique a win. Shame, that.

#20 gotchabari

gotchabari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

We played awful in the 1st and 3rd and only gained the big lead while being given a 5 min major in the 2nd how can this game be well deserved by any account??? Just because they won they still have some SERIOUS issues that need to be resolved.

Totally disagree we were awful in the 1st. I thought the first period of hockey, while scoreless, was pretty excellent from both teams.

We came out in the second and scored, what, a minute in? Yes, the penalty was great, but it was evident we were taking command regardless. Holland's score was even, too. I wouldn't have been shocked if we scored 3 or maybe even the 4 without the 5-minutes.

The 3rd I wouldn't call awful. They had nothing to lose, so took all chances. Yes, I would have liked to have seen us look for breakaways rather than being so conservative, but I'd label that maybe as "not strong," but certainly not "awful."

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   Site Map AdChoices