The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Southbayduck

Giordano Knees Koivu

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames-mark-giordano-suspension-1.4937949

Giordano gets 2 game suspension for kneeing Koivu. 

2 games are not enough for a player with history of these type of hits. It is a career ending hit just waiting to happen. Hip check, play the body, or a good old shoulder hit is fine. I have always disliked cheap hit players. Way to set an example as captain of your team.

• Sad 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:18 PM, Fisix said:

He skated away afterwards just like he did with Cam. Like he knew it was a bad hit but “oh, deary me, it was just an accident.”

He’s got his “poor little misunderstood me” schtick down pretty good, but it’s obvious at this point. 

He did it to Bobby Ryan too.  This is the season to punish him and take the suspension imo.

• Like 1

Bring back enforcers. We need someone to deal out on ice justice if this guy is going to win the Norris.

Play hard, check hard, be a pest. Just don't potentially end someone career with intentional head or knee hits.

Let's all agree that such a scumbag as Giordano needs to thoroughly BURN like the Calgary FLAMEOUT he is.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 1:39 PM, Southbayduck said:

Bring back enforcers. We need someone to deal out on ice justice if this guy is going to win the Norris.

Play hard, check hard, be a pest. Just don't potentially end someone career with intentional head or knee hits.

We don't necessarily need more enforcers. If a player feels like they want to take a run, they will do it. Take out a teams top player with a cheap shot? And all they have to do is take a few punches? Some will take that all day. Or in the case of Browns or Wilson's or ratface, turtle behind a ref.

Enforcers need to be removed from the player safety department. Obligatory "Parros is dead to me".

Edited by poum
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, poum said:

We don't necessarily need more enforcers. If a player feels like they want to take a run, they will do it. Take out a teams top player with a cheap shot? And all they have to do is take a few punches? Some will take that all day. Or in the case of Browns or Wilson's or ratface, turtle behind a ref.

Enforcers need to be removed from the player safety department. Obligatory "Parros is dead to me".

Very true points. I guess the best place to hit them is in the wallet.

I thought the non suspension call on Giordano's hit on Fowlers knee was a way to not show favoritism. Parros lost me when Cogliano was suspended. To this day I feel the contact was caused by Kempe turning blindly into the path that Cogs was going. Even after the contact Cogs kept looking and going in the direction the puck was going. Cogs had no history of hits to the head or dirty play.

• Like 1

Didn’t even know this a thread existed. So what we have like 5-6 examples of just KNEEING and yet nothing and he’s not that kind of player? Parros has to be the worst guy we’ve had in his spot in a long time

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the Calgary - Edmonton games?  They were super entertaining.  The Oilers just go to the net.  The ducks could learn about that.  Someone mentioned last week that the ducks stick to the perimeter.  That is so true.  That kid Yamamoto looks great - he goes to the net...  It's pretty simple.

It was great to see the brawling too.  Especially the goalkeepers.  Reminded me of the old Avalanche and Red Wings days...

Man Claude Lemieux would have been a great duck...

7 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Did anyone watch the Calgary - Edmonton games?  They were super entertaining.  The Oilers just go to the net.  The ducks could learn about that.  Someone mentioned last week that the ducks stick to the perimeter.  That is so true.  That kid Yamamoto looks great - he goes to the net...  It's pretty simple.

It was great to see the brawling too.  Especially the goalkeepers.  Reminded me of the old Avalanche and Red Wings days...

Man Claude Lemieux would have been a great duck...

I'm so glad Claude Lemieux was never a Duck.  That dude was dirty.  

11 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Dude won Stanley cups

Brown, Wilson, Ratatouille, Cooke are a few off the top of my head who have Cups.

Particularly glad the Ducks haven't employed their services. 

On 2/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, gorbachav5 said:

I'm so glad Claude Lemieux was never a Duck.  That dude was dirty.  

Then there is this. Pronger was firmly in the "homeboy is dirty" department. And I was glad he was on the '07 team. 

Contradictions are fun! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, poum said:

Brown, Wilson, Ratatouille, Cooke are a few off the top of my head who have Cups.

Then there is this. Pronger was firmly in the "homeboy is dirty" department. And I was glad he was on the '07 team. 

Contradictions are fun! 

8 suspensions. And that was back prior to the DPS (which was formed in 2011). Pronger was dirty and dangerous on the ice. And the Ducks don't win a Cup without him.

13 hours ago, poum said:

Contradictions are fun! 

I don't really like that Pronger was a Duck.  I didn't care for him while he was here, although I know the Ducks wouldn't have won the Cup without him.  So I guess it depends on how we want to construct this thing.

Am I glad Lemieux was never a Duck?  Absolutely, yes.  

Am I glad Pronger was a Duck?  Not really, no.

Would I trade the Stanley Cup win for the knowledge of not having Pronger?  Or would I trade having Lemieux for the knowledge that we'd have another Cup at some point?  Those are tough questions, so if that's a gotcha, you got me.  I would say no to both of them.  We had Pronger, so there's nothing I can do about it, and I might as well enjoy the Cup win even if I disliked the way Pronger played.  We never had Lemieux, so I'm happy about that. 

Maybe that's inconsistent, but I don't really feel hypocritical about it.  I don't like players who are dirty, even if they're effective.  I enjoy a game that's clean.  You can be physical and clean, even though it's a tough line to walk sometimes.  Ryan Getzlaf, at his best, was that type of player. I'm always going to be more interested in a free-flowing, crisp passing, offense-oriented style of hockey.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:40 PM, gorbachav5 said:

I don't really like that Pronger was a Duck.  I didn't care for him while he was here, although I know the Ducks wouldn't have won the Cup without him.  So I guess it depends on how we want to construct this thing.

Am I glad Lemieux was never a Duck?  Absolutely, yes.  

Am I glad Pronger was a Duck?  Not really, no.

Would I trade the Stanley Cup win for the knowledge of not having Pronger?  Or would I trade having Lemieux for the knowledge that we'd have another Cup at some point?  Those are tough questions, so if that's a gotcha, you got me.  I would say no to both of them.  We had Pronger, so there's nothing I can do about it, and I might as well enjoy the Cup win even if I disliked the way Pronger played.  We never had Lemieux, so I'm happy about that. 

Maybe that's inconsistent, but I don't really feel hypocritical about it.  I don't like players who are dirty, even if they're effective.  I enjoy a game that's clean.  You can be physical and clean, even though it's a tough line to walk sometimes.  Ryan Getzlaf, at his best, was that type of player. I'm always going to be more interested in a free-flowing, crisp passing, offense-oriented style of hockey.

You will never get an argument from me otherwise.

I love the game, I want players to be safe and have long careers without getting ding'd in the head. Which is also hard to marry with the acceptance of my love of Manson or Deslauriers smacking people stupid. I'm not trying to do the "whatabboutism" or a "Gotcha ya!" For myself, I feel horrible for the enforcers of old that bad/end of life moments. But it's also a "fun" to watch hockey experience. 

Hockey is full of contradictions. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. And the DPS backsme up. =P

I want a player that's dirty against dirty players. Lemieux's omg hit on Draper?  Draper was about to blindside one of Lemieux's teammates... instead Draper got destroyed.  Lemieux may have played on the wrong side of the line, but I will always respect what he did to players like Draper. He found the dirty players and he took them out.

Edited by Thom-74

On 2/7/2020 at 1:42 AM, poum said:

You will never get an argument from me otherwise.

I love the game, I want players to be safe and have long careers without getting ding'd in the head. Which is also hard to marry with the acceptance of my love of Manson or Deslauriers smacking people stupid. I'm not trying to do the "whatabboutism" or a "Gotcha ya!" For myself, I feel horrible for the enforcers of old that bad/end of life moments. But it's also a "fun" to watch hockey experience. 

Hockey is full of contradictions. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. And the DPS backsme up. =P

first off...haha perfect

i like me some pesky players....like Perry...and even Marchand (i know i know...everyone hates him but i kinda love him lol) like...they arent going out injuring people....not intentionally like Giordano...like I truly believe perry wasn't intending to hit that guy high in the winter classic...but like those players that get under your skin without sending players to the locker room. whether it's just chirping or water in a glove...or whatever.

And also players like Manson that will just get rough and big and physical against the other team's dirty players. Be physical. Be legal. Be pesky and annoying. Don't TRY to send a player to the locker room or the hospital...