The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

5 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

27. Anaheim: Jacob Perreault, RW, Sarnia-OHL

Eric Stephens: If the Ducks were to keep this pick and not use it in a deal to acquire more NHL-ready talent, I would see them taking a forward here if they grabbed Jamie Drysdale at No. 6. Having passed on a pure sniper like Alexander Holtz, I’d think they should consider a high-ceiling scorer like Perreault. The 18-year-old right wing has an elite-level shot, but he is not a one-trick pony. With teams in the OHL having to respect that shot, the Sarnia Sting star can also make plays to teammates. He also has the ability to work in close and score garbage goals, as well as pick corners on netminders. John-Jason Peterka and his dynamic skating and stronger overall game is tough to pass on. I can see Anaheim preferring him given its history of going for more well-rounded forwards. There are some skating and legitimate defense concerns with Perreault and he’ll need to work on both. But the Ducks once drafted a player who had a similar profile. His name is Corey Perry. With two first-round picks and the No. 36 selection, they can afford to take a big swing on someone that can put the puck in the net from anywhere.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

This gets me excited for Perrault....and less excited about Drysdale haha but I'm sure I'll be more excited sleeping on it :P Just if the Drysdale pick is a move with hopes that Steel or Terry step up to being a finisher??? that's just not going to happen. They need to stop trying to force Terry onto the wing...he's such a natural center. And Steel IS a distributor more so than shooter. Unless those 2 completely change the way they play...I don't see either pushing towards going into those difficult areas like Holtz has been claimed to do.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic about our development and having a player that can finish or make things out of nothing like Holtz/Rossi without having to really "develop" something...that sounds more promising than a top-pairing D man. This isn't meant to put Drysdale down at all.

Drysdale will be awesome! I hope he turns into the player that we all thought/hoped Fowler was going to develop into. He already looks more physical looking at the highlights haha

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

This gets me excited for Perrault....and less excited about Drysdale haha but I'm sure I'll be more excited sleeping on it :P Just if the Drysdale pick is a move with hopes that Steel or Terry step up to being a finisher??? that's just not going to happen. They need to stop trying to force Terry onto the wing...he's such a natural center. And Steel IS a distributor more so than shooter. Unless those 2 completely change the way they play...I don't see either pushing towards going into those difficult areas like Holtz has been claimed to do.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic about our development and having a player that can finish or make things out of nothing like Holtz/Rossi without having to really "develop" something...that sounds more promising than a top-pairing D man. This isn't meant to put Drysdale down at all.

Drysdale will be awesome! I hope he turns into the player that we all thought/hoped Fowler was going to develop into. He already looks more physical looking at the highlights haha

I think that the Drysdale pick comes just down the Ducks needed help every where other than in net. Since the Ducks have more distributors than anything, I'd actually be thrilled if Gunler fell to them and gives us another guy to potentially complement Zegras, Terry and Steel. 

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Walking away with a future core of 

Zegras 

Perrault 

Drysdale 

Gibson

If the hockey gods allow it! We came out winners 

“Martin and I had decided awhile back that, if at all possible, we were going to get a defenseman with that pick,” Ducks general manager Bob Murray said, referring to assistant GM Martin Madden. “We had two defensemen that went side by each. We had them (ranked) side by each, so once Ottawa took Sanderson, we were not playing around with that draft pick any more. 

“We were going to take the pick and get the defenseman we wanted. It worked out very well for us today.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/06/nhl-draft-ducks-take-jamie-drysdale-with-sixth-pick/

This explains what LeBrun tweeted out about the Ducks getting good offers for #6, but then decided not to trade down. If Ottawa didn’t take Sanderson there’s a good chance the Ducks would have moved down a few spots and still got either Sanderson or Drysdale. 

10 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

“Martin and I had decided awhile back that, if at all possible, we were going to get a defenseman with that pick,” Ducks general manager Bob Murray said, referring to assistant GM Martin Madden. “We had two defensemen that went side by each. We had them (ranked) side by each, so once Ottawa took Sanderson, we were not playing around with that draft pick any more. 

“We were going to take the pick and get the defenseman we wanted. It worked out very well for us today.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/06/nhl-draft-ducks-take-jamie-drysdale-with-sixth-pick/

This explains what LeBrun tweeted out about the Ducks getting good offers for #6, but then decided not to trade down. If Ottawa didn’t take Sanderson there’s a good chance the Ducks would have moved down a few spots and still got either Sanderson or Drysdale. 

Murray is so painfully boring and predictable. So happy Ottawa took Sanderson. Drysdale is infinitely better suited for this squad 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Oh interesting.....and terrifying haha although, if the Sens did take Drysdale...and we traded to move down and basically got Sanderson...that wouldn't have been horrible, either. Getting another pick and all.

Although, if Perrault has one of the best shots that's essentially the same (if not a little bit worse) than Holtz...that's a pretty good deal. A forward with an almost similar game being available at 27 makes way more sense to take and take Drysdale at 6. A D like Drysdale aint going to be available at 27.

For the 36th pick....someone like Gunler or Wallinder would be cool! Or maybe even Colangelo!

14 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

So, in a draft that is more deep with high-end forwards, the Ducks needing scoring more than anything, Murray was dead set on getting a defensemen with his highest pick regardless of whether that player was actually the best player available lol? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

So, in a draft that is more deep with high-end forwards, the Ducks needing scoring more than anything, Murray was dead set on getting a defensemen with his highest pick regardless of whether that player was actually the best player available lol? 

I don’t read it like that. That assumes Murray/Madden don’t consider the two D in a tier above the forwards. Considering some scouts had Sanderson #3, and many rankings had Drysdale at #4, there’s some legitimacy there. Plus, if Murray/Madden consider the draft deep at forward, it’s possible they saw better value in going D at #6. I’d say it looks good so far getting Perreault at #27. Obviously we won’t know for sure for a number of years.

11 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

I don’t read it like that. That assumes Murray/Madden don’t consider the two D in a tier above the forwards. Considering some scouts had Sanderson #3, and many rankings had Drysdale at #4, there’s some legitimacy there. Plus, if Murray/Madden consider the draft deep at forward, it’s possible they saw better value in going D at #6. I’d say it looks good so far getting Perreault at #27. Obviously we won’t know for sure for a number of years.

Sanderson was underrated at the beginning of the year and massively overrated at the end, even if he turns out to be better than Dryadale we have such a logjam on the left side it’s insane. 

1 minute ago, Spencer_12 said:

The bolded does legitimize it somewhat and I'm pretty content with how round 1 went as well. Though, I read Murray's statement as him valuing and prioritizing defense and therefore a position regardless of who was the best player available. That kind of thinking bugs me because the Ducks are no where near good enough to have the luxury of drafting based on need right now. Given that Murray was a former defensemen and builds from the back end out, I'm sure that he can usually convince himself that a defensemen is the best option. Drysdale better be the next Makar/Hughes/Heiskanen even more so now lol. Agreed that it will be a couple of years before how we see things and Murray won't likely be around by then to see how it turns out. 

Did a little digging, and I’m actually more interested in who might be available at 67 and 104. There’s some interesting guys that would be a huge reach at 36, but could still be available at 67 and maybe even 104. The Ducks should probably have the chance to grab a forward with a 1st round grade at 36, especially if a defenseman or 2 get taken before them. If Murray/Madden like a few players in the 37-65 range just as much as the guys still available at 36 I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded down to get 2 picks in that range. 

I’m not so sure Gunler, Peterka, and Mysak impress me so much more than some of the other forwards in the later 2nd or 3rd round. At least in terms of projecting putting up offense. 

For example, there’s a center named Ty Simlanic. He’s ranked anywhere from 31-51 (one place has him at 19). If Gunler, Peterka, or Mysak is available at 36 and someone really wants him, I don’t think it would be so bad to trade down a few spots, get Simlanic, and get another 3rd. Sam Colangelo is a similar guy. There’s a number of guys like this in that 31-60 range.

There’s a guy I’d like to get at 104 named Zion Nybeck. He’s undersized at 5’8, but he’s a scorer. He’s mostly ranked in the 60-70s. Probably won’t be available at 104, and there could be better value at 67. 

Edited by Spencer_12

9 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yes.  Jasoaks and others have explained why that is very well.  There are many good forwards in this draft, not as many great Dmen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Yes.  Jasoaks and others have explained why that is very well.  There are many good forwards in this draft, not as many great Dmen.

I get it. I just think that the mindset should be taking the best player available and not prioritizing a position,

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Anyone know if they are broadcasting the draft today??? ....has it even started yet?

NHL channel