The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Shadowduck

NHL and NHLPA agree on terms

Not many specific details yet but NHL and NHLPA agree to a January 13th 2021 start date. No Exhibition games. Ten day training camp. Fiftey-Six game season.  No fans in the seats, I don't know specifics on WHERE the teams will play. assuming in some  sort of bubble format. No added money to escrow but there may be some deferred money. Hopefully you all can find more specifics.

41 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Not many specific details yet but NHL and NHLPA agree to a January 13th 2021 start date. No Exhibition games. Ten day training camp. Fiftey-Six game season.  No fans in the seats, I don't know specifics on WHERE the teams will play. assuming in some  sort of bubble format. No added money to escrow but there may be some deferred money. Hopefully you all can find more specifics.

Thanks for posting. Wow, that's interesting. After the 2012 lockout they did a 48-game season that started on January 19th. Now they plan a 56-game season that starts only six days earlier than that 2013 schedule did. I thought that condensed schedule in 2013 really wore down the teams. 56 games seems too ambitious, especially since we may still see teams quarantining here and there if there's an outbreak.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Thanks for posting. Wow, that's interesting. After the 2012 lockout they did a 48-game season that started on January 19th. Now they plan a 56-game season that starts only six days earlier than that 2013 schedule did. I thought that condensed schedule in 2013 really wore down the teams. 56 games seems too ambitious, especially since we may still see teams quarantining here and there if there's an outbreak.

hopefully they built in some structure allowing them to drop chunks of games without messing up the playoff too much.  that 56 games might be aggressive but include a buffer of games they can safely drop without throwing the season into chaos.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

In that season, the final game of the Stanley Cup was played on June 24th.  This season, their drop-dead date is July 22nd.  That's the day before the Olympics are scheduled to start, assuming the Olympics still happen.  Which means they need to get eight more games in 35 more days relative to 2012-2013, which seems very doable, and even leaves cushion for inevitable postponements.  I think they can plan to start the playoffs the last week of May and be in great shape to get everything done before the Olympics start.

Let's say they start the playoffs on May 26th.  That's 134 days for 56 games, which seems like plenty of time.  They could probably even plan to end the season a week earlier, but use that extra week as insurance in case postponements can't be made up during the season.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

In that season, the final game of the Stanley Cup was played on June 24th.  This season, their drop-dead date is July 22nd.  That's the day before the Olympics are scheduled to start, assuming the Olympics still happen.  Which means they need to get eight more games in 35 more days relative to 2012-2013, which seems very doable, and even leaves cushion for inevitable postponements.  I think they can plan to start the playoffs the last week of May and be in great shape to get everything done before the Olympics start.

Let's say they start the playoffs on May 26th.  That's 134 days for 56 games, which seems like plenty of time.  They could probably even plan to end the season a week earlier, but use that extra week as insurance in case postponements can't be made up during the season.

If the divisions are playing in bubbles then they can knock out  games faster as there is not travel time or fatigue associated with travel. in these playoffs this past summer teams were playing every day.

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I’ll be very surprised if they run the season that late into July, mostly because I expect there to be an emphasis on starting the 2021-22 season on time and with a healthy slate of players. If this season goes until late July, they’ll have less than 7 weeks before training camps open to do the initial buyout period, the expansion draft, the entry draft, free agency, and all the arbitration hearings. And that’s also not much recovery time for guys in the playoffs who need surgeries or rehab after the season ends. I’d much rather see a shorter season wrapped by late June and a return to normalcy when camps open in September.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’ll be very surprised if they run the season that late into July, mostly because I expect there to be an emphasis on starting the 2021-22 season on time and with a healthy slate of players. If this season goes until late July, they’ll have less than 7 weeks before training camps open to do the initial buyout period, the expansion draft, the entry draft, free agency, and all the arbitration hearings. And that’s also not much recovery time for guys in the playoffs who need surgeries or rehab after the season ends. I’d much rather see a shorter season wrapped by late June and a return to normalcy when camps open in September.

I'd also rather see that. But I think the schedule/season is going to evolve as the year goes on and they are building in room for that.

But I think they HAVE said they plan on having a shorter off-season next year, but it's also not out of the realm of possibility to push the start of the 2021-22 season by a month or month and a half. But still have a complete season/playoffs as usual. And just a very slightly shorter off-season and then back to the normal rotation 22-23.

Also, now that the NHL has essentially locked in their start date...we're gonna see signings/trades pick up again! 

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

There has been reporting all over the place that they're treating the Olympics as their end date, so I would not be surprised at all to see them go into July.  I expect them to use as much time as is available to them to have as long a season as possible, both for legitimacy's sake and for the possibility that the longer they go, the better chance there is of being able to open up to fans at some point.  I think the problem of too short an offseason will be pushed down the road, and will end up being solved by starting next season somewhat later.  I'm cool with all of that.  I want as much hockey as possible.

53 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

There has been reporting all over the place that they're treating the Olympics as their end date, so I would not be surprised at all to see them go into July.  I expect them to use as much time as is available to them to have as long a season as possible, both for legitimacy's sake and for the possibility that the longer they go, the better chance there is of being able to open up to fans at some point.  I think the problem of too short an offseason will be pushed down the road, and will end up being solved by starting next season somewhat later.  I'm cool with all of that.  I want as much hockey as possible.

I miss hockey too, but I'm not interested in star players from the top teams missing the start of 2021-22 due to injuries or playing terribly that season due to fatigue. IMO, the players need the time off in summer to rejuvenate and heal. I'd rather wait a bit for great hockey than push earlier for a lower quality product.

Can you also point me to some sources on the Olympics being the end date of the playoffs? I haven't seen that mentioned by any of the usual suspects I follow (LeBrun, Burnside, Dreger, Friedman, Wysh, et al.) And are you sure they mean playoffs? I haven't seen it anywhere, but could "end of season" alternatively mean effectively moving the regular June 30th season end date to July 22nd? That would mean the playoffs, RFA qualifying period, buyout period, expansion draft, and entry draft could all completed by that date too. And with respect to the expansion draft in particular, if I were the Seattle Kraken, I'd be pretty upset if I was robbed of PR by holding the ED during the Olympics after I shelled out $650 million in expansion fees. 

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I'd also rather see that. But I think the schedule/season is going to evolve as the year goes on and they are building in room for that.

But I think they HAVE said they plan on having a shorter off-season next year, but it's also not out of the realm of possibility to push the start of the 2021-22 season by a month or month and a half. But still have a complete season/playoffs as usual. And just a very slightly shorter off-season and then back to the normal rotation 22-23.

Also, now that the NHL has essentially locked in their start date...we're gonna see signings/trades pick up again! 

Based on what they're saying about the 4-division realignment, I might be jumping on the BombaysTripleDeke bandwagon to go full tank for this coming season (especially if it only lasts for a few months). The Pacific division is Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, St Louis, San Jose, LA, Arizona and Anaheim. That's a brutal division. I was hoping the Ducks would add a top-6 forward before the season started, but it really looks like they have almost no shot at the playoffs, so maybe just save the money and get the draft pick.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Based on what they're saying about the 4-division realignment, I might be jumping on the BombaysTripleDeke bandwagon to go full tank for this coming season (especially if it only lasts for a few months). The Pacific division is Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, St Louis, San Jose, LA, Arizona and Anaheim. That's a brutal division. I was hoping the Ducks would add a top-6 forward before the season started, but it really looks like they have almost no shot at the playoffs, so maybe just save the money and get the draft pick.

unfortunately, we'd be competing for the tank.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I miss hockey too, but I'm not interested in star players from the top teams missing the start of 2021-22 due to injuries or playing terribly that season due to fatigue. IMO, the players need the time off in summer to rejuvenate and heal. I'd rather wait a bit for great hockey than push earlier for a lower quality product.

Can you also point me to some sources on the Olympics being the end date of the playoffs? I haven't seen that mentioned by any of the usual suspects I follow (LeBrun, Burnside, Dreger, Friedman, Wysh, et al.) And are you sure they mean playoffs? I haven't seen it anywhere, but could "end of season" alternatively mean effectively moving the regular June 30th season end date to July 22nd? That would mean the playoffs, RFA qualifying period, buyout period, expansion draft, and entry draft could all completed by that date too. And with respect to the expansion draft in particular, if I were the Seattle Kraken, I'd be pretty upset if I was robbed of PR by holding the ED during the Olympics after I shelled out $650 million in expansion fees. 

NBC has the rights to the Olympics so pretty much 16-24 hrs of their daily slate will be fllled up with various events in the Olympics. There is no timeslot for playoff games. The Olympics has viewership of tens of millions a day versus a couple million in the Stanley Cup. You can do the math what tv execs would rather show in July.

Edited by gilligoos

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Good point about it being a shorter season in months...I just...tanking doesn't mean anything to me. It doesn't mean you'll get the first pick. I feel like if the playoffs are the same as last playoffs...we should try to get into the play-in round and then lose haha better odds at getting that 1st pick!

Also, crazy to hear that Vegas is shopping Patches, Fluery, or Marrshault (definitely spelled wrong lol). I can't believe they are looking at trading Marrshshaualt. That was one of their TRUE steals in the ED. Florida should be asking for him back haha

9 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is from a Lebrun piece a week ago, and he's mentioned it before.  I've also heard it mentioned on a couple of hockey podcasts I listen to (whether they got it from him or another source, I'm not sure). 

Sources suggest the NHL is adamant about wrapping up the Stanley Cup Final by early July, ahead of the summer Olympics. In part, because TV partner NBC is broadcasting those Olympics but another important part is wanting to get back to the normal schedule cycle ahead of the 2021-22 season. 

They always mention the July cutoff in conjunction with the awarding of the Stanley Cup, not with the wrap up of everything else.  I think in an ideal world, they'd have the Cup awarded and be able to squeeze in the drafts prior to the Olympics, but as we've seen, the world is far from ideal, and I think the Cup is the only thing that really matters.  The NHL doesn't generate a ton of viewership or revenue from the draft.  And while the expansion draft will be interesting to serious hockey fans, it's not going to be something that draws eyeballs, even outside of the Olympic window.  If I were the Seattle Kraken, I'd thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to deal with all of the BS that every other organization has had to deal with during the pandemic and just be happy with whatever I get.

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

This is from a Lebrun piece a week ago, and he's mentioned it before.  I've also heard it mentioned on a couple of hockey podcasts I listen to (whether they got it from him or another source, I'm not sure). 

They always mention the July cutoff in conjunction with the awarding of the Stanley Cup, not with the wrap up of everything else.  I think in an ideal world, they'd have the Cup awarded and be able to squeeze in the drafts prior to the Olympics, but as we've seen, the world is far from ideal, and I think the Cup is the only thing that really matters.  The NHL doesn't generate a ton of viewership or revenue from the draft.  And while the expansion draft will be interesting to serious hockey fans, it's not going to be something that draws eyeballs, even outside of the Olympic window.  If I were the Seattle Kraken, I'd thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to deal with all of the BS that every other organization has had to deal with during the pandemic and just be happy with whatever I get.

That quote says “early July”, not July 22nd, which makes a bit more sense in the grand scheme of things. If the Cup is awarded during that first week of July, then everything I mentioned above can happen before the Olympics starts, and it also adds more recovery time for the athletes.  And while I agree that the NHL doesn’t generate a ton of revenue or viewership in the States for the draft or the start of UFA, is that true for Canada? I would think the NHL would want to avoid competing with the Olympics for Canadian viewership.

I guess we’ll just have to see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

That quote says “early July”, not July 22nd, which makes a bit more sense in the grand scheme of things. If the Cup is awarded during that first week of July, then everything I mentioned above can happen before the Olympics starts, and it also adds more recovery time for the athletes.  And while I agree that the NHL doesn’t generate a ton of revenue or viewership in the States for the draft or the start of UFA, is that true for Canada? I would think the NHL would want to avoid competing with the Olympics for Canadian viewership.

I guess we’ll just have to see how it plays out.

It says early July and then immediately says "ahead of the summer Olympics."  I read "early July" as "some time before the later part of July" so that there are no games going on while the Olympics are happening.  I think you've got plenty of time to get 56 games and a full postseason in.  If the next season is delayed or a little rushed, so be it.  I don't think the quality of hockey will suffer enough to be lamentable.

43 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It says early July and then immediately says "ahead of the summer Olympics."  I read "early July" as "some time before the later part of July" so that there are no games going on while the Olympics are happening.  I think you've got plenty of time to get 56 games and a full postseason in.  If the next season is delayed or a little rushed, so be it.  I don't think the quality of hockey will suffer enough to be lamentable.

Ok, here's my best guess for how the schedule could/should work prior to the Olympics.

Regular season: January 13th - May 9th. That's 116 days to do 56 games, which is about the same rate of games/day as 2013.

Postseason: May 13th - July 8th (8 weeks)

Deadline for formal requests to waive NMCs: July 9th

Buyout period opens: July 10th

Deadline to submit protected lists for ED: July 13th

Seattle UFA/RFA negotiating period: July 14-17th

ED selections announced (also NHL awards): July 18th

GM Meetings: July 19-20th

NHL Entry draft: July 21-23rd

That would push the QO period, free agency, and the arbitration hearings into the Olympics window, but I'm sure they could take a look at the Olympics schedule and figure out how to hold the opening day of the UFA signing period on the same day that the Olympics is featuring handball, synchronized swimming, and dressage (no offense to anyone who loves those events). More importantly, it gives the entry draft kids the prime time stage they deserve, and also gives the Kraken an opportunity to gin up excitement in its fan base before hockey becomes the 4th most interesting sport in its town again. And it also gives the league a better chance to start close to on time for 2021-22.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

Man, I just feel bad for Ovechkin... he has basically lost slightly less than 2 complete seasons (1.9 seasons) to score goals...I mean he probably had a 50 goal 2004-2005 season in him...and then 2013 and 2020 and now 2021. Maybe 20 more goals in a complete 2013 season (looking at his pace). And probably 9 more goals in 2020. 79 more goals he would have without shortened/skipped seasons. And now another 26 games lost.....sigh...at his worst rate, that's 10 goals off the table. At his 2020 rate that's 18 goals off the table. Let's just say that's 14 goals off the table. So, if he retires WITHIN 93 goals of Gretzky's record.........ugh....that would be heartbreaking.

(and OF COURSE this doesn't actually matter. And OBVIOUSLY the fans hurt the most and the economy and there are FAR WORSE things to be truly sad and feel about in 2020/2021...but I'm just saying...this makes me sad, TOO lol)

EDIT: Actually! I'm gonna add another 20 goals to that. 113 goals. 'Cause lets be honest...if he's within 20 goals of the record, he aint retiring.

Edited by Jasoaks

I just looked at the full division realignment plan.  Tampa Bay is going to win that division by 30 points.  And that's with a condensed schedule.  There's a chance they swap Dallas and Minnesota, which would make that division a little tougher.  But right now, Carolina is their toughest competition.  Meanwhile, there are four teams that could win the Stanley Cup in the West/Pacific/Whatever division.  

I'm not complaining.  This is being done out of necessity and I'm all for it so that we can have a hockey season.  But it's kind of crazy.

I received an offer to renew my online subscription for NHL Center Ice or whatever name they use.  
Deleted it without 2d thoughts.

I’m just feeling so disconnected from all of this.  I seem to have lost that ‘lovin’ feeling’.

36 minutes ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I received an offer to renew my online subscription for NHL Center Ice or whatever name they use.  

I’m just feeling so disconnected from all of this.  I seem to have lost that ‘lovin’ feeling’.

Ohh I should check to see if I got one too....

I'm probably gonna go for it. I'll be stoked to have some sort of consistent entertainment for the next 6 months. Especially hockey. And I'm down to help NHL revenue during this time.

But yeah, I can't blame you at all for feeling that way. It's been a LONG time and it's been so different and will be so different. It's completely understandable to have lost that lovin' feeling. Hopefully as the season starts up and moves forward you'll start to get it again...

...although that's even harder with how "good" the Ducks are probably gonna be lol I'm excited to see if any one steps up and if we get to see Zegras at all!

1 hour ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I'm actually tempted to get it for the first time ever.  I miss sports so much.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:19 AM, MooseDuck said:

56 game schedule.....Stanley Cup Final ends in July...Hopefully It will all be finalized.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDUck

I follow the Swiss league (Swiss guy who's lived in SoCal for 24 yrs). Joe Thornton has ended his preseason contract with Davos today and traveling to Toronto asap. That tells me that the NHL season will likely start as we've heard rumored over the last few days. My guess is the Jan 3 training camp is a go. Thornton was likely asked to leave today so that he can quarantine for 14 days before camp.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gilligoos said:

I follow the Swiss league (Swiss guy who's lived in SoCal for 24 yrs). Joe Thornton has ended his preseason contract with Davos today and traveling to Toronto asap. That tells me that the NHL season will likely start as we've heard rumored over the last few days. My guess is the Jan 3 training camp is a go. Thornton was likely asked to leave today so that he can quarantine for 14 days before camp.

I am glad for we all need Hockey and Positive Distraction.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Man, I really wish this roster was in a stronger state heading into this new season. The condensed 2k13 year was some of the most fun I've had watching hockey even if it eventually cooked Selanne to the point of no return. Divisional matchups and the baseball-esque series scheduling is going to result in some real intense games. The downside is how strong our new division is. Colorado, Las Vegas & St. Louis will likely run away with it and I can't imagine Anaheim making any noise in a rush for that 4th spot unfortunately. As long as we beat San Jose often and help keep them in the gutter I guess.

Side note, the Canadian division is going to be an absolute gongshow. I wonder if they'll even bother covering American games up here. They're guaranteed 4 playoff teams and watch none of them go far. 

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Man, I really wish this roster was in a stronger state heading into this new season. The condensed 2k13 year was some of the most fun I've had watching hockey even if it eventually cooked Selanne to the point of no return. Divisional matchups and the baseball-esque series scheduling is going to result in some real intense games. The downside is how strong our new division is. Colorado, Las Vegas & St. Louis will likely run away with it and I can't imagine Anaheim making any noise in a rush for that 4th spot unfortunately. As long as we beat San Jose often and help keep them in the gutter I guess.

Side note, the Canadian division is going to be an absolute gongshow. I wonder if they'll even bother covering American games up here. They're guaranteed 4 playoff teams and watch none of them go far. 

Or, how weak it is lol it'd be nice to be a strong team in this division...I think Minnesota takes 4th...but honestly...it's up for grabs. But I do think the Pacific is the weakest of all the divisions. But man...all of those inner division games...oh man. The kings, the sharks, edmonton, calgary...so many games against them! I also love the Tampa and Dallas are in the same division and Tampa and Columbus. So many games they will play against each other!! Wow it's gonna be fun to see haha

What's gonna be CRAZY is (and I just learned this) they are reseeding the FINAL FOUR teams!! Basically 1 team in each division makes it to the final 4...meaning we could be seeing a very crazy, unique stanley cup finals. I mean we could see a Colorado v Edmonton finals...a Pittsburgh v Tampa Bay...Islanders v Maple leafs!!....ooooeeeeee

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Or, how weak it is lol it'd be nice to be a strong team in this division...I think Minnesota takes 4th...but honestly...it's up for grabs. But I do think the Pacific is the weakest of all the divisions. But man...all of those inner division games...oh man. The kings, the sharks, edmonton, calgary...so many games against them! I also love the Tampa and Dallas are in the same division and Tampa and Columbus. So many games they will play against each other!! Wow it's gonna be fun to see haha

What's gonna be CRAZY is (and I just learned this) they are reseeding the FINAL FOUR teams!! Basically 1 team in each division makes it to the final 4...meaning we could be seeing a very crazy, unique stanley cup finals. I mean we could see a Colorado v Edmonton finals...a Pittsburgh v Tampa Bay...Islanders v Maple leafs!!....ooooeeeeee

Better way to put it lmao. I can see any of those big 3 teams winning it all this year though. They'll probably all finish with top 5 records because of the competition (or lack thereof) in the division.