The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

NHL-NHLPA Agree to 56-Game Season

13 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I do think we have some players on a short leash this season...each off season he seems to get more and more angry about players not stepping up...I think this coming season/off-season he's gonna finally come to fruition with his threats. Like his threats of saying someone needs to step up or else

Well we will see Bob get Angry....Patience is thin as with us all....imho Ducks as I say need to hit the ground running and Dominate the NHL West Divison ASAP.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Well we will see Bob get Angry....Patience is thin as with us all....imho Ducks as I say need to hit the ground running and Dominate the NHL West Divison ASAP.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Hopefully wont get angry at Lindholm....some very big words coming from Shattenkirk:

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-shattenkirk-likens-lindholm-to-hedman/c-319930736

(which is something 'cause I believe he came to the Ducks 'cause he liked/is friends with Fowler lol)

Edited by Jasoaks

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Hopefully wont get angry at Lindholm....some very big words coming from Shattenkirk:

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-shattenkirk-likens-lindholm-to-hedman/c-319930736

(which is something 'cause I believe he came to the Ducks 'cause he liked/is friends with Fowler lol)

every expert says: Ducks are not a playoff team and finish the season at the last 2 places of the western... so only GMBM has an other feeling or what?! why not trade away now our older players away, its a short season, the prospects should go to AHL this season to not play with this losing season (I don't want for the young guys to have a losing mentality as its in Buffalo)

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

every expert says: Ducks are not a playoff team and finish the season at the last 2 places of the western... so only GMBM has an other feeling or what?! why not trade away now our older players away, its a short season, the prospects should go to AHL this season to not play with this losing season (I don't want for the young guys to have a losing mentality as its in Buffalo)

I'll begin this season like I do every season.  With an open mind.  Perhaps there is something in the lineup I'm not seeing.  Maybe some chemistry will develop in one or more lines, and we'll have more offense than expected.  Perhaps the D will step up to another level, and even go beyond, by contributing to offensive output.  Maybe in the shortened season, Gibson will stand on his head, and Miller will not get worn down by having to endure an 82 game schedule as the backup.

But 2nd half comebacks like St Louis had, are hard to come by.  I think we'll get a pretty good idea what the Ducks' prospects are, within the first few weeks.  It won't be easy finishing in the Top 4, and this will not be a season to fall behind, and hope to catch up with a streak at the end.  There's not enough runway, and the season will be over in a flash.  It has NEVER been more important to start off strong, than it is this year.  Heck, I'd even take some undeserved wins, or Giguere like performances from Gibson, to bank some points for us in January.  It won't necessarily mean we're going to make the playoffs come May, but it will make the season more interesting, and afford us the opportunity of competing for one of the 4 spots.

5 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

It has NEVER been more important to start off strong, than it is this year.  Heck, I'd even take some undeserved wins, or Giguere like performances from Gibson, to bank some points for us in January.  It won't necessarily mean we're going to make the playoffs come May, but it will make the season more interesting, and afford us the opportunity of competing for one of the 4 spots.

I believe we’ve opened up the last two season going 5-0 to start or something like that but then fallen off 

8 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Well hopefully don't trade away Lindholm! Especially after Shattenkirk's comments saying he sees a Hedman in Lindholm! That's awesome!

The team may surprise and play better than we think but at the end of the day they are not a great team that will go deep in the playoffs. If we aren’t in the playoffs then winning isn’t what is important to a degree. Confidence and team building aside, winning and falling short won’t help in the long run. I would want to see the team competing, winning battles, not getting blown out but not win many games to ensure a high draft pick this year. Then with all the cap falling off after this season, pickup a couple decent free agents and see what happens. There are other forms of winning.

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Well hopefully don't trade away Lindholm! Especially after Shattenkirk's comments saying he sees a Hedman in Lindholm! That's awesome!

Why would we trade Lindholm? We have another overpaid defenseman who is overdue for a trade.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Why would we trade Lindholm? We have another overpaid defenseman who is overdue for a trade.

That would be BIG Mistake if our Ducks do this. ShattenKirk-Lindholm Duo would be interesting to see and hear how they do.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

That would be BIG Mistake if our Ducks do this. ShattenKirk-Lindholm Duo would be interesting to see and hear how they do.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

That would be interesting...although I'm hoping for more of a Fowler/Shattenkirk duo...I think they would work well...keep Lindholm and Manson together!

4 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

That would be interesting...although I'm hoping for more of a Fowler/Shattenkirk duo...I think they would work well...keep Lindholm and Manson together!

YET...Who would Ducks get in Return...That's HUGE QUESTION?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The Ducks would get in return high draft picks or shed some salary to pursue good free agents next summer. However, if you are happy with the current state of this team, then you probably right: don't do anything.

5 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

The Ducks would get in return high draft picks or shed some salary to pursue good free agents next summer. However, if you are happy with the current state of this team, then you probably right: don't do anything.

I am very Pleased and with Ducks we know their Strategy "Developing Within"...which is their M.O so I am eager to see like we all how the Youth well do.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

47 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

?...nobody? I'm not proposing a trade...proposing a pairing on the ice...

with Drysdale drafted its time to move on from a top 4 defender.... especially the Seattle ED...we can keep only 3 Defender instead we don't make a deal as with Vegas... which at the time was a nice move to give Theodore, but now we know: it was a bad one...

4 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

with Drysdale drafted its time to move on from a top 4 defender.... especially the Seattle ED...we can keep only 3 Defender instead we don't make a deal as with Vegas... which at the time was a nice move to give Theodore, but now we know: it was a bad one...

I could see the Ducks going 4/4/1 instead and protecting our top 4D.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I could see the Ducks going 4/4/1 instead and protecting our top 4D.

A little bit of hindsight here (with the Shattenkirk signing), but given how well the Fowler-Gudbranson pairing played last season, I would have preferred to see Manson traded. Manson would have gotten us MUCH more than the 5th rounder we got for Guddy and the Ducks would have had more flexibility to go 7F-3D-1G since Guddy is going to be a UFA and wouldn’t require protection. I also haven’t been impressed with Fowler-Manson as a pairing in the past, and since it sounds like there is a push for Lindholm-Shattenkirk to be the top unit, I would have been more than fine with Gudbranson in Manson’s spot this season. Oh well. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

A little bit of hindsight here (with the Shattenkirk signing), but given how well the Fowler-Gudbranson pairing played last season, I would have preferred to see Manson traded. Manson would have gotten us MUCH more than the 5th rounder we got for Guddy and the Ducks would have had more flexibility to go 7F-3D-1G since Guddy is going to be a UFA and wouldn’t require protection. I also haven’t been impressed with Fowler-Manson as a pairing in the past, and since it sounds like there is a push for Lindholm-Shattenkirk to be the top unit, I would have been more than fine with Gudbranson in Manson’s spot this season. Oh well. 

Gud was so much better with us than with anyone else, from what I can tell, that perhaps he pulls a Granztlaf and resigns with us in the off-season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

and since it sounds like there is a push for Lindholm-Shattenkirk to be the top unit

I hope not....we always seem to be relatively better with Lindholm/Manson....and I thought I read that Shattenkirk came over here to play with Fowler/'cause they were friends. I imagine we'll see both pairings at some point.

But to me this just goes back to a thing I've been saying for a couple years now....let's get a new defensive assistant coach lol

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I remember when trade rumors started about Manson, a GM said "Your wife doesn't love you as much as the Ducks love him.". So far, that sentiment still holds up.

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I agree that the Ducks should move one of the top 3 guys prior to the expansion draft. Even without the draft coming up, keeping both Lindholm and Manson after 2022 doesn't seem likely. So, why protect one of them from Seattle and waste a slot when you may have to trade or or possibly lose them for nothing in free agency less than a year later?. Unless Drysdale has injury issues, he should be in the NHL full time within the next two seasons, so the timeline matches up pretty well.

22 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I remember when trade rumors started about Manson, a GM said "Your wife doesn't love you as much as the Ducks love him.". So far, that sentiment still holds up.

I agree that the Ducks should move one of the top 3 guys prior to the expansion draft. Even without the draft coming up, keeping both Lindholm and Manson after 2022 doesn't seem likely. So, why protect one of them from Seattle and waste a slot when you may have to trade or or possibly lose them for nothing in free agency less than a year later?. Unless Drysdale has injury issues, he should be in the NHL full time within the next two seasons, so the timeline matches up pretty well.

I don’t see how the bold is even remotely possible with the pandemic is shutting down the developmental leagues. I think the goal has to be getting Drysdale to the big club by the end of Shattenkirk’s contract, no sooner than that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don’t see how the bold is even remotely possible with the pandemic is shutting down the developmental leagues. I think the goal has to be getting Drysdale to the big club by the end of Shattenkirk’s contract, no sooner than that.

I think it's very possible that he'll be in the NHL by then. I'm putting Drysdale into the lineup for the 2022-2023 season when Shattenkirk has one year left on his contract as long as he stays healthy. So, two seasons from now. You're right that the pandemic will impact his development this season and he should get a traditional developmental season for 21/22. He'd still follow a similar path of guys like Heiskanen, Makar and Hughes who developed for one, two, and two years respectively after being drafted before making the jump to the NHL. 

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think it's very possible that he'll be in the NHL by then. I'm putting Drysdale into the lineup for the 2022-2023 season when Shattenkirk has one year left on his contract as long as he stays healthy. So, two seasons from now. You're right that the pandemic will impact his development this season and he should get a traditional developmental season for 21/22. He'd still follow a similar path of guys like Heiskanen, Makar and Hughes who developed for one, two, and two years respectively after being drafted before making the jump to the NHL. 

Makar and Hughes both played two seasons of NCAA hockey, meaning that they were playing against guys mostly aged 19-22, and even some 23-year-olds. And Heiskanen had already played a season in the Finnish Elite League against grown men the season before his draft. So in each case, the player had two full seasons of development against older, more mature players before becoming a full-time NHLer. Whereas Drysdale will have missed an entire year of hockey due to the pandemic, and when his season does resume he gets to play play for the Erie Otters against opponents between the ages of 16-20. I’m hoping he is great too, but I’m not going to expect him to follow the development path of those three. He’ll most likely need another year IMO.

Edited by dtsdlaw

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Makar and Hughes both played two seasons of NCAA hockey, meaning that they were playing against guys mostly aged 19-22, and even some 23-year-olds. And Heiskanen had already played a season in the Finnish Elite League against grown men the season before his draft. So in each case, the player had two full seasons of development against older, more mature players before becoming a full-time NHLer. Whereas Drysdale will have missed an entire year of hockey due to the pandemic, and when his season does resume he gets to play play for the Erie Otters against opponents between the ages of 16-20. I’m hoping he is great too, but I’m not going to expect him to follow the development path of those three. He’ll most likely need another year IMO.

That's a good point about the other guys playing older, more experienced competition. At best, Drysdale will get a shortened OHL this season if it goes forward and with no certainty he'll get in any pro games when it's over. He may need that extra year before going full-time. If he's not ready then he's not ready. I guess the concern would be putting him in the NHL too soon to make up for potentially losing one of the top-3 defensemen. 

Watching him in this tournament he reminds of Fowler with his skating ability, so I think he will absolutely have the wheels to be in the NHL in two years. 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, ike-1 said:

Gud was so much better with us than with anyone else, from what I can tell, that perhaps he pulls a Granztlaf and resigns with us in the off-season. 

Unlikely. He is from Ottawa and the Sens just put an "A" on his jersey. Odds are they're already working on a contract extension for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Unlikely. He is from Ottawa and the Sens just put an "A" on his jersey. Odds are they're already working on a contract extension for him.

:(

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

That was fast. A journeyman maybe #4 Dman on a brand new team....wheredid you see that? Official or just a scrimmage/preseason game type thing.

2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

That was fast. A journeyman maybe #4 Dman on a brand new team....wheredid you see that? Official or just a scrimmage/preseason game type thing.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-being-named-an-alternate-captain-of-the-senators-hits-home-for-ottawas-erik-gudbranson

The league now has sponsored divisions. Woof, imagine hanging a 2021 Honda West Champions banner from your rafters. For our sakes, let's at least hope being the Honda Center's home team comes with some nice conflict of interest tier perks.