The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fowl

Coach Sutter hired by the Flames

This is great news to me.  I find Darryl Sutter's post game pressers some of the most entertaining out there (since they are mostly out there.)   I'm glad to see Mumbles back behind the bench.   Reported to be a three year deal.

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-fire-hc-geoff-ward-name-darryl-sutter-as-replacement-1.1602864

Edited by Fowl

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Hope Calgary also hired an interpreter. 

murphlederp!

This makes me upset.  Why even be a ducks fan anymore?  The ownership doesn't care I guess.

If memory serves, it was Calgary that fired their coach first last time - their team has expectations to do well and heaven forbid, get good players and have good coaching.  Ducks?  Not so much.  Sutter would have been an excellent choice for the ducks.  

This organization and team really doesn't give much to cheer about. Lousy coaching.   8 losses and counting.

Count me out.

So...the rumor floating around on sports radio today in Alberta was that when the Flames approached Sutter about taking over, Murray offered him the Ducks head coach role and he turned it down. I can't point to any articles as there wasn't much to it other than radio gossip. 

Although at his first media availability today, Sutter did say that he was only interested in coaching 2 teams if offered - the Flames and the Blackhawks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nieder said:

So...the rumor floating around on sports radio today in Alberta was that when the Flames approached Sutter about taking over, Murray offered him the Ducks head coach role and he turned it down. I can't point to any articles as there wasn't much to it other than radio gossip. 

Although at his first media availability today, Sutter did say that he was only interested in coaching 2 teams if offered - the Flames and the Blackhawks.

ohhh interesting....like...offered it BEFORE Eakins? Or offered it after Eakins was hired...aka would fire Eakins for Sutter?

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

ohhh interesting....like...offered it BEFORE Eakins? Or offered it after Eakins was hired...aka would fire Eakins for Sutter?

Would fire Eakins for Sutter. They were saying this on the TSN breakfast show. Again, not sure how much weight there is to this but thought I would share since we all love a good rumor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot mushmouth was even in our organization. What was his role again, consultant? Consigliere? Was he on the payroll for any other reason than to go old boy clubbing with Bob? Cause the on-ice product here is absolutely in need of some consulting and has been for a while.

This feels a lot like the Carlyle hiring honestly. A disappointing team with high expectations brings back the hard nosed coach from their (almost) glory days over a decade ago to straighten out this soft generation or something like that. Of course he has the two championships in Los Angeles to his name while Carlyle was driving 18 wheelers off cliffs in Toronto, but they were a total disaster by the time he was getting locked out of his own dressing room. Better option than Eakins most likely but I don't think that slow and methodical early 2010s Kings style of hockey is going to be very successful now in a division with guys like Matthews and McDavid.

13 minutes ago, nieder said:

Would fire Eakins for Sutter. They were saying this on the TSN breakfast show. Again, not sure how much weight there is to this but thought I would share since we all love a good rumor.

super interesting if true.  it always seemed like a weird situation to have Sutter creeping in the shadows and not a more visible contributor.  

while an offer makes some sense given how close Sutter was (being on our payroll), i would have thought if BM was actively looking, he'd have gone more new school than old.  i doubt BM would have been given the authority to give Sutter a 3 year deal (what he's got with the Flames), regardless, so once the Flames put that on the table, the move was done.

we'll probably know more soon.  if the offer actually happened, then i would imagine his relationship with Eakins will sour.  considering that, and assuming that Sutter isn't gigantic a-hole, my guess is that BM probably didn't make an offer to hire Sutter as head coach.  galactic mistake on BMs part if so.

"For me it's unfinished business," Sutter said. "It's still really clear in my mind... Thinking about it on the flight home from Tampa of the players and the owners and how much that resonated with me and stayed in my mind. I'm thrilled to be back working with Brad and working with this group. ... I've been fortunate to stay in the game the last couple years with Anaheim and working with their coaching staff and Bob Murray. I'm ready to go and looking forward to it."

https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-fire-ward-as-coach-hire-darryl-sutter/c-322129320

that doesn't sound like Sutter being unhappy.  i think the rumor is probably bunk, a modified version of someone asking "i wonder if BM tried to retain Sutter, given they probably had right to meet the offer, and given what's going on with the Ducks in the standings this year."

58 minutes ago, Fisix said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-fire-ward-as-coach-hire-darryl-sutter/c-322129320

that doesn't sound like Sutter being unhappy.  i think the rumor is probably bunk, a modified version of someone asking "i wonder if BM tried to retain Sutter, given they probably had right to meet the offer, and given what's going on with the Ducks in the standings this year."

1 hour ago, nieder said:

probably is....too good to be true haha even if it didn't result in him being hired...I do like the idea of BM seeing the writing on the wall with Eakins....but it makes MORE sense that he wouldn't have done this. As it doesn't really make sense for old school Sutter to be the ducks future.

Curious how (if at all) this changes the way Eakins coaches or the play on the ice....no more Sutter. Maybe he was having some sort of impact and that's gone now...