The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Vodka Bob has ownership buffaloed.  I wont spend a $ until this once great team fires a horrible GM and a Coaching staff in way over their heads.

Ducks have become the laughing stock of the NHL.  Bob fiddled while Anaheim burned with bad contracts, bad trades and missed opportunities.  Im guessing Mr Samueli didn't handle personnel issues in his successful businesses.  Where the hell is CEO Michael Schulman?   Time to clean house and and hold people accountable.  This is just a sad situation with no confidence in ownership and management.   I will say that the Samueli's have done a lot of good for the community for a very long time, which is appreciated but are the Ducks a business or a hobby?  Clean house or spend your $ on something else.  Im done until there is a legit commitment to change.

Edited by ChopSuey
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, ChopSuey said:

Vodka Bob has ownership buffaloed.  I wont spend a $ until this once great team fires a horrible GM and a Coaching staff in way over their heads.

Ducks have become the laughing stock of the NHL.  Bob fiddled while Anaheim burned with bad contracts, bad trades and missed opportunities.  Im guessing Mr Samueli didn't handle personnel issues in his successful businesses.  Where the hell is CEO Michael Schulman?   Time to clean house and and hold people accountable.  This is just a sad situation with no confidence in ownership and management.   I will say that the Samueli's have done a lot of good for the community for a very long time, which is appreciated but are the Ducks a business or a hobby?  Clean house or spend your $ on something else.  Im done until there is a legit commitment to change.

One question.  How many times do we have to beat the same dead horse?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dukitup said:

One question.  How many times do we have to beat the same dead horse?

Until action is taken and the topic is taken seriously

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

There are already 6 threads talking about it. Why create another?

Unlike the other topics my post focuses 100% on ownerships failure to address the problems and that the fans opinion is not heard.  For sure a different focus.   Sorry if it isn't to you liking

• Like 1

Look, there are 2 things here.

First, the Ducks had been one of the best teams in the league overall for about a decade. It was expected that we would need to step back and be bad for a while. That happens to most teams. So the fact that the team is not good right now, in and of itself, is not really cause for mass changes as it was expected.

However, the way management has gone about rebuilding the team can certainly be questioned. There seems to be no real long term plan, other than hoping that a lot of kids that haven't shown much so far will continue to improve, and that Zegras can basically elevate them all to another level. I take what a GM says in public with a grain of salt, but Murray's comments in the last few years come across as delusional, that he thinks this team should be better than they have been performing. He thinks this roster should be contending in the Pacific division, which they clearly have no chance of. 

Personally if I were an owner I would be less concerned about the poor results of the last few seasons and more concerned about the plan to work our way back to the top, as I really don't trust Murray to do this as it seems like he just wants to move deck chairs on the titanic. Really he should have seen the writing on the wall and gone for the full rebuild after the sweep against the Sharks a few years ago. The club still would have been bad the last few seasons but right now the future would be looking a lot brighter. If I were an owner I would be worried about developing a losing culture here and would be clearing house in the offseason. Brand new GM, brand new coach, brand new ideas and brand new culture in the franchise from the top down. IMO it is time for a change.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ike-1 said:

There are already 6 threads talking about it. Why create another?

Good Point this is LIKE what...6th,12 50th time....Come one Let's focus on this team and what they need to Improve.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChopSuey said:

Exactly...Its on ownership

We had thousands of comments on this forum regarding BM, coaching stuff and ownership. Everything falls on deaf ears. CEO Michael Schulman is a good friend with BM. The only thing that MAY work (even though I doubt) is try to find Samuelis address and send him a certified letter with your concerns. Again, I highly doubt it will help. Other idea: try to call to Ducks radio station or to TV broadcast team and see if you can challenge Steve Carrol, Hazy, or Guy Hebert to bring Ducks situation on the radio or on TV. My guess, they won't do it because nobody wants to lose their job. I can't blame them for it.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChopSuey said:

What exactly would you do, and who would you hire to replace GMBM?  I’m all for firing Eakins, but what is your succession plan?

Moaning and groaning without a plan is not an effective strategy.

44 minutes ago, Fowl said:

What exactly would you do, and who would you hire to replace GMBM?  I’m all for firing Eakins, but what is your succession plan?

I didn't hear your plan?  Ill give you first shot...What's your plan?

Just now, hoxxey said:

Bring back Mike Babcock...

Ducks used to have a coach.

He just took a college hockey HC job a couple weeks ago or I would agree

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Nobody is "moaning and groaning here". When a team is on 9-games losing streak, and GM tell that coach is "doing a great job", we, dedicated die-heart Ducks fans express our concern. I understand that doing nothing is the easiest thing to do, but what kind of message it sends to the Ducks fans? As far as strategy, the first step to do is to find a competent GM. There are few names available right now, do I really have to be specific?

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, hoxxey said:

Bring back Mike Babcock...

Ducks used to have a coach.

Yea he's off the table at this point.  I mentioned this prior to the Ducks hiring Eakins, I loved Paul Maclean's time here.  I liked what I saw behind the bench, always encouraging the players and the players seemed to like that (I know I liked seeing it). 

• Like 1

ownership is fine, just less willing to stick their fingers in than other owners, and more reliant on the GM and CEO.

but, they aren't blind, either.  they came to an agreement about the future of the management of the team a few years ago when it was clear that Seattle was going to enter the league.  nothing was ever going to change that deal after it was made, aside from some kind of morals clause breach, but it's even less likely to be changed now with covid in place.  to put it economically, they've lost everything they're going to lose on this season, already, and they have almost zero ability to change anything that would make a difference for this season (economically).  maybe as a fan you feel hard put by them not making moves (in the worse season to do so, pretty much EVER), but they've seen what the ticket and sponsorship incomes have been as team performance has slid over the past couple of years, and they're convinced that even if we suck big time this season, all they need to do is manufacture a comeback and the ticket and sponsorship income will rebound.  

you may be in denial about it, and you may be impatient (welcome to the club), but they're correct.  if the team sees even a little bit of success and starts to turn the corner, all the support and more will come back.  i'm sure ownership would love to see more indications that the team was making headway on player development, but even if they don't see that through the end of this season, messing with their current deal to get through the ED is just too costly.  and, regardless of what the board thinks, ownership trusts the management to make any moves they can along the way to make the team better without breaking the bank.  it's clear the management has made serious offers this season, so management is doing their job.  the trust isn't misplaced - the team has done fairly well over BM's tenure... it's just almost time for both sides to move on.  it's actually past that time, but again, ownership wants BM in place for the ED, and nothing is going to change that.  BM recognized that when they made this deal, which was part of the reason why the reup was relatively short duration.  he's said as much, publicly. 

if you want to contribute to the future health of the team, embrace that concept and start to work within it.  if you want a new GM, posit a replacement that makes sense for the team to pursue (70+ year olds and ex-Kings GMs need not apply).  if you want a new coach, suggest someone we can actually get that would be a step forward (Babcock is not that, for a variety of reasons).  Same deal with player trades (some good options and strategies get posted around here, fairly often).  This thread is like being mad that the sun yet again rose in the east.  Some things just are what they are, and i don't find railing against them cathartic in the least.

On Babcock - he too a "volunteer" coaching position at that college, which means that he's got it set up so that he can exit at any time if a job offer comes up.  the team might have wanted that in place too, considering the negative press he got as he ended his tenure with the Leafs.  But, here's the deal: Babcock was a great coach, but he seems to do his best work with a team with solid, perhaps even all-star level vets.  He does not appear to be a decent psychologist or young player's coach, which is one of the things our team needs.  Babcock had pretty much all the talent anyone would ever need while he was with the Leafs, but he wasn't able to turn that team around, and a decent AHL coach has somehow done much better with almost the exact same personnel.  And, Babcock ran away from Detroit when it was clear they were going to go through a deeeeeep rebuild.  He's not someone we want as our coach, not at this point in time.

Personally, I keep thinking about Torts.  Partly it's because he's done a good job at getting the word out - he's savvy enough to know that being a brat on the bench raises his profile, and that's a good thing for a head coach without a reup contract in hand.  And, for all the yelling, he hasn't run afoul of the counter-social hazing blunders (i'm putting it criminally blandly) that've taken out a bunch of other NHL coaches in the past 2-3 years (including Babcock, at least partially).  Another reason why I keep thinking about Torts is because his teams don't seem to suffer from the not-showing-up disease that the Ducks have suffered from since before RC2.0.  It also helps that both Bieksa and Kesler seem to think the world of him.  Finally, he's never, ever, looked as lost behind the bench as BB did in the postseason.  Can Torts speak to the kids and work with a development team?  Honestly, I don't know, but I'd be willing to figure it out with him for a few years.  

I also keep thinking about Gallant, but there's just too much weirdness bound up in how he was fired from the Knights, and how silent he was about it afterwards.  I smell some kind of personal failing in there somewhere, and until that's put to bed definitively, I don't think I'd want to bet the Ducks' future on that particular unknown.  Of course, he's been mentioned for Seattle (along with BB), so maybe the people who know these things have figured out everything that needs figuring out and can bless his return.

BB is probably a decent development coach, but he'd only ever be a stepping stone to something better, for me.  Why buy an interim coach if you can get a long timer?

There were some foreign coaches that seemed viable... i think a Swedish coach?  Maybe Swiss or Finn?  That would be interesting, and I bet they'd be an excellent development coach.  I'd prefer any of these over our current AHL coach.

22 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Yea he's off the table at this point.  I mentioned this prior to the Ducks hiring Eakins, I loved Paul Maclean's time here.  I liked what I saw behind the bench, always encouraging the players and the players seemed to like that (I know I liked seeing it). 

i'd be ok with Maclean, but a bit of a risk (relative to a Torts), and i think he's tied up with the Leafs until they win the cup (or Keefe gets booted).

There are a lot of names out there for the next head coach. Gallant, Boudreau, Babcock, and Claude Julien are the big names. Personally, I'd like a younger coach that has substantial playoff experience as an assistant to one of the legends. Lane Lambert (Trotz) was my first choice when Eakins was hired. Dineen (Quenneville) was high on my list too (and still is). Kirk Muller (Julien, Hitchcock) would be an interesting choice. MacLean's older, but he would also be a solid choice.  

Whoever we get next, I just hope that it is a new GM making the hire. Fire Milker! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

There are a lot of names out there for the next head coach. Gallant, Boudreau, Babcock, and Claude Julien are the big names. Personally, I'd like a younger coach that has substantial playoff experience as an assistant to one of the legends. Lane Lambert (Trotz) was my first choice when Eakins was hired. Dineen (Quenneville) was high on my list too (and still is). Kirk Muller (Julien, Hitchcock) would be an interesting choice. MacLean's older, but he would also be a solid choice.  

Whoever we get next, I just hope that it is a new GM making the hire. Fire Milker! 

I'd be (am) excited for Dinnen. Lambert would be interesting....would love MacLean for an assistant again!! Dinnen head coach, MacLean assistant. Yawney also back as an assistant.... that would be a solid team.

Coaching and management absolutely needs to change.  But that won’t improve things overnight.  The larger issue is the lack of top level talent in the organization and the poor development of the mid level talent that is here.   Our scouting has continued to overrate their draft choices for more than a decade.   We need to be quicker in identifying those who belong in the NHL and those that can be flipped for other players or more choices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

I didn't hear your plan?  Ill give you first shot...What's your plan?

Ummm... he didn't start the thread.  You did.

By definition, you get first shot.  Or just delete the thread.  Don't get defensive and deflect because you got called out.  Stand behind your thread.

15 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

As far as strategy, the first step to do is to find a competent GM. There are few names available right now, do I really have to be specific?

That would make it interesting.  There's a thread about Rutherford, for instance, with some good input.  At least it gives the discussion some direction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fisix said:

Personally, I keep thinking about Torts.  Partly it's because he's done a good job at getting the word out - he's savvy enough to know that being a brat on the bench raises his profile, and that's a good thing for a head coach without a reup contract in hand.  And, for all the yelling, he hasn't run afoul of the counter-social hazing blunders (i'm putting it criminally blandly) that've taken out a bunch of other NHL coaches in the past 2-3 years (including Babcock, at least partially).  Another reason why I keep thinking about Torts is because his teams don't seem to suffer from the not-showing-up disease that the Ducks have suffered from since before RC2.0.  It also helps that both Bieksa and Kesler seem to think the world of him.  Finally, he's never, ever, looked as lost behind the bench as BB did in the postseason.  Can Torts speak to the kids and work with a development team?  Honestly, I don't know, but I'd be willing to figure it out with him for a few years.  

What about Gallant or Walrus as interim until Torts becomes available at the end of the year (Assuming he's not extended)?

I'm thinking that, especially for McClain, he may not be looking for a long-term job.  But he might be okay knowing it was temporary and maybe he could be an assistant when Torts comes in.

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

What about Gallant or Walrus as interim until Torts becomes available at the end of the year (Assuming he's not extended)?

I'm thinking that, especially for McClain, he may not be looking for a long-term job.  But he might be okay knowing it was temporary and maybe he could be an assistant when Torts comes in.

I think Gallant is in the running for Seattle, so he's not available until after Seattle announces their choice, if at all.  Gallant won't dirty his chances by signing up as an interim coach somewhere else.

MacLean is with the Leafs, and he's not going anywhere until the Leafs win the cup (at least, not by choice).  Our interim won't be sufficient to pull him from the Leafs, and I'm sure he'd rather be AC with the Leafs than AC here.

If Gallant isn't chosen by Seattle, and we get all the details of his firing from the Knights, he'd be fine here.  The only downside is that I'd probably mistake him for BM if I saw him walking the halls at the Pond.

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

I think Gallant is in the running for Seattle, so he's not available until after Seattle announces their choice, if at all.  Gallant won't dirty his chances by signing up as an interim coach somewhere else.

MacLean is with the Leafs, and he's not going anywhere until the Leafs win the cup (at least, not by choice).  Our interim won't be sufficient to pull him from the Leafs, and I'm sure he'd rather be AC with the Leafs than AC here.

If Gallant isn't chosen by Seattle, and we get all the details of his firing from the Knights, he'd be fine here.  The only downside is that I'd probably mistake him for BM if I saw him walking the halls at the Pond.

I'd like Gallant, too.... get all the info on his Panthers firing too....kinda crazy that he's been fried 2 times in a row while having a winning record with the team....

Edited by Jasoaks

On 3/16/2021 at 12:34 PM, ChopSuey said:

The Ownership has their mask on their eyes not on their mouth. secondly they are VERRY successful on their PC business the ducks is a tax write-off IMO. 

1 hour ago, Joker8 said:

The Ownership has their mask on their eyes not on their mouth. secondly they are VERRY successful on their PC business the ducks is a tax write-off IMO. 

Henry Samueli is a cofounder of chipmaker Broadcom. He resigned as chief technology officer in December 2018 after 27 years.

Samueli cofounded Broadcom with Henry Nicholas in 1991. It was acquired by Avago Technology in 2016 for $37 billion and is now called Broadcom Inc.  His personal wealth estimated North of 6 Billion.  Very generous family though.   The ducks are a piece of a separate business and I am sure he is financially insulated.  That's what Tax Attorneys are for.

12 hours ago, Joker8 said:

Which is WHY with Ownership we need to demand that REFORMS be made on our Ducks ASAP.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Henry Samueli is a cofounder of chipmaker Broadcom. He resigned as chief technology officer in December 2018 after 27 years.

Samueli cofounded Broadcom with Henry Nicholas in 1991. It was acquired by Avago Technology in 2016 for $37 billion and is now called Broadcom Inc.  His personal wealth estimated North of 6 Billion.  Very generous family though.   The ducks are a piece of a separate business and I am sure he is financially insulated.  That's what Tax Attorneys are for.

Evidently you work for the Samueli family in one form or fashion. Yes, they are incurably successful and generous in the community. All I say I do not believe they care for success of the Duck team because if they had the same motivation, we would not have this conversation.

3 minutes ago, Joker8 said:

Evidently you work for the Samueli family in one form or fashion. Yes, they are incurably successful and generous in the community. All I say I do not believe they care for success of the Duck team because if they had the same motivation, we would not have this conversation.

What a shallow fool?  No really?  No actually I can 1.  Search for information    2. Copy    3. paste.  You need to get a job or a hobby.  Wasted post

• Like 1