The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ike8228

New draft rules

They are lowering the draws from three to two. Meaning if you are last place you can pick no later than number 4. This should serve to our benefit since we always seems to go down, never up in the draft.

They will also start limiting lottery winners. A team can no longer win two within a five year period. ie Edmonton has 3 in 4 years? Or 4 in 6 something ridiculous like that. I do like this, however this is the time frame where the Ducks may actually have a chance at multiple 1st overalls.

Edited by ike-1

Actually, if you're last, you can pick no later than third.  If the Ducks stay where they are, points percentage wise, they'll pick no later than 4th in the upcoming draft.

54 minutes ago, DT2008 said:

Goes into effect next year.   Does not impact this year’s lottery. 

The change to the number of spots a team can fall in the draft goes into affect this year.  There will only be two lottery draws for this summer's draft, meaning the last place team can draft no later than 3rd.  The rest of the changes don't apply until the 2022 draft.

Edited by gorbachav5

25 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

The change to the number of spots a team can fall in the draft goes into affect this year.  There will only be two lottery draws for this summer's draft, meaning the last place team can draft no later than 3rd.  The rest of the changes don't apply until the 2022 draft.

I'm not sure we can tank harder than the Sabres but I think we have a pretty good chance at finishing second to last. So we would be guaranteed a top 4 pick which is nice.

23 minutes ago, nieder said:

I'm not sure we can tank harder than the Sabres but I think we have a pretty good chance at finishing second to last. So we would be guaranteed a top 4 pick which is nice.

I’ll be very surprised if the Ducks can out-tank Detroit and Ottawa. Especially since Lindholm comes back with about 15 games to go. 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’ll be very surprised if the Ducks can out-tank Detroit and Ottawa. Especially since Lindholm comes back with about 15 games to go. 

It might be tight, but I think we can do it. Our complete inability to score goals seems to have returned (outside of 1 period against a below average NHL goaltender), so I don't know if Lindholm's return is going to help that much.

I just looked at the standings, holy crap, we only have 5 regulation wins in 33 games. Unbelievable. Even Detroit has 9.

It might come down to the moves these teams make at the deadline. If any of these teams manage to unload some pieces and go for the full tank then the race to the bottom is on.

BTW the strength of our schedule should help our tank, but it is basically the same as Detroit's and still better than Buffalo, lol. I don't think anything can stop poor Buffalo finishing last. http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/remaining_schedule_strength

Edited by nieder

Does anyone know how the lottery works with Arizona forfeiting their first round pick this year? Do the odds for every other team go up? Or does their ball stay in and if they win, they get the 'first overall pick' but they don't get a player, so the second place team is the de facto first overall pick?

23 minutes ago, nieder said:

Does anyone know how the lottery works with Arizona forfeiting their first round pick this year? Do the odds for every other team go up? Or does their ball stay in and if they win, they get the 'first overall pick' but they don't get a player, so the second place team is the de facto first overall pick?

From the draft boards I’ve seen, the odds will stay the same and Arizona will just forfeit their pick wherever it ends up. So, they could win the first overall pick and not be able to select a player and like you said, the 2nd lottery team would get the de facto first pick. Draft odds will be slightly reduced starting this year with Seattle coming into the league.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nieder said:

i'm not sure if Seattle pushes that out to top 5?

6 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i'm not sure if Seattle pushes that out to top 5?

Seattle start with 3rd best odds so finishing 2nd last would guarantee us a top 4 pick.

Finishing 3rd last would only guarantee us a top 6 pick because Seattle slot in ahead of the 3rd to last team.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ike-1 said:

They are lowering the draws from three to two. Meaning if you are last place you can pick no later than number 4. This should serve to our benefit since we always seems to go down, never up in the draft.

They will also start limiting lottery winners. A team can no longer win two within a five year period. ie Edmonton has 3 in 4 years? Or 4 in 6 something ridiculous like that. I do like this, however this is the time frame where the Ducks may actually have a chance at multiple 1st overalls.

We will see...for now Live in the moment.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Actually, if you're last, you can pick no later than third.  If the Ducks stay where they are, points percentage wise, they'll pick no later than 4th in the upcoming draft.

I thought and think the same thing, third, but it said fourth on nhl.com. It may have been a typo and corrected after I read it.

i think we don’t want to win this year right? Next year is a better draft. 2nd this year and win the lotto next year please.

you can only move up 10 spots. So if you are 31 you go to 21

Just now, ike-1 said:

I thought and think the same thing, third, but it said fourth on nhl.com. It may have been a typo and corrected after I read it.

i think we don’t want to win this year right? Next year is a better draft. 2nd this year and win the lotto next year please.

NHL.com is incorrect then, because that would mean nothing changed.  As it stands in prior drafts, the last place team could fall no farther than 4th (see Detroit last year).  So unless the reporting at the Athletic is wrong (and their synopsis makes a lot more sense), 3rd is the new 4th.  

From NHL.com:

The reduction to two drawings ensures that the team that finishes last in the NHL standings would pick no lower than No. 3. 

1 hour ago, ike-1 said:

Next year is the year to get a top pick. 

#SeasonOfPainForShane

#BeBadForBrad

#GetRicoSavoie

Only 11 non-playoff teams will have a chance at the first overall pick starting in 2022. Don’t think playoff teams can move higher than teams who didn’t qualify.

51 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Next year is the year to get a top pick. 

#SeasonOfPainForShane

#BeBadForBrad

#GetRicoSavoie

Only 11 non-playoff teams will have a chance at the first overall pick starting in 2022. Don’t think playoff teams can move higher than teams who didn’t qualify.

WHOA there Let's not get ahead of ourSelves. I do not see the Ducks throw away this season....Nor "Tank" they will hopefully improve once IF they can enact some Reforms.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

57 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

WHOA there Let's not get ahead of ourSelves. I do not see the Ducks throw away this season....Nor "Tank" they will hopefully improve once IF they can enact some Reforms.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

This season is/has been gone and I'm not seeing how they significantly turnaround this Titanic by next season and are competing for a playoff spot. Murray and Eakins could very well be back and the team is just very bad and so bereft of offensive firepower that they could easily in line for one of the prize picks in 2022.

3 hours ago, ike-1 said:

the bolded is wrong.  there won't be any lottery for you if you're picking 31st (you were in the Stanly Cup Final) - postseason teams don't participate in the lotto.

if you meant that 31 is the worst team ranking (so picking 1st?), when they said "move up" they meant "get a better pick rank" - so 31 wouldn't go anywhere "up." 

if you were ranked 14th worst you could at best end up picking 4th - i think that what the limitation is going forward.

25 minutes ago, Fisix said:

the bolded is wrong.  there won't be any lottery for you if you're picking 31st (you were in the Stanly Cup Final) - postseason teams don't participate in the lotto.

if you meant that 31 is the worst team ranking (so picking 1st?), when they said "move up" they meant "get a better pick rank" - so 31 wouldn't go anywhere "up." 

if you were ranked 14th worst you could at best end up picking 4th - i think that what the limitation is going forward.

I was meaning to reference a previous post. Someone used that as an example. I was just stating that you couldn’t move all the way up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fisix said:

That seems to be the case. So it's not necessarily specifically drawing winners for the first and second overall picks.

E.g. Say the rule applies this year, Ottawa wins the first draw, they move from 5th to 1st. Then they do the second draw, and that is won by the Rangers. They move up from 15th, but as they can only move up 10 spots, they get the 5th overall pick, not the 2nd. Meaning the teams that were originally 1st to 4th in the order only move down 1 spot. It's better odds for the lower placed teams and makes it less likely you are going to drop 2 full spots.

3 hours ago, nieder said:

That seems to be the case. So it's not necessarily specifically drawing winners for the first and second overall picks.

E.g. Say the rule applies this year, Ottawa wins the first draw, they move from 5th to 1st. Then they do the second draw, and that is won by the Rangers. They move up from 15th, but as they can only move up 10 spots, they get the 5th overall pick, not the 2nd. Meaning the teams that were originally 1st to 4th in the order only move down 1 spot. It's better odds for the lower placed teams and makes it less likely you are going to drop 2 full spots.

You forgot that Bob is the GM he will find a way to mess this up. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, Joker8 said:

You forgot that Bob is the GM he will find a way to mess this up. 

I just hope he does not damage this team it will be longterm. Just Hope for the Best imho

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Next season we're going to have an expansion team in Seattle. How does that or how will that affect the ducks? Or how will it work at all for Seattle? I'm hoping it's not going to hurt us. I just don't want us to lose any of our good players.Thank you

1 hour ago, Ron Wright said:

I just don't want us to lose any of our good players.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ron Wright said:

Next season we're going to have an expansion team in Seattle. How does that or how will that affect the ducks? Or how will it work at all for Seattle? I'm hoping it's not going to hurt us. I just don't want us to lose any of our good players.Thank you

In terms of the expansion draft in itself we will lose someone and/or picks. If you are referring to more than that, the regular draft the Kraken will get the third highest percentage to win the lottery (I think third). So if the ducks are 3 or less we get bumped down a spot right away in terms of percentage to win. Another team in our conference and division will make it that much harder to make the playoffs. The west current has 15 teams to the Easts 16. Even the potential of losing some fan base. New team and excitement combined with a struggling franchise will scare some fans to the Kraken. 

But they gain the expansion fee dues. They may not lose a player in the expansion draft rather they could be shedding themselves of a dud or bad apple and gain cap space.

• Like 1