The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
Fowl

NHL Officials - Game management

https://www.tsn.ca/yost-the-nhl-rule-book-seems-headed-for-a-reckoning-1.1613303

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nhl-fires-referee-tim-peel-after-hot-mic-captures-him-n1261954

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/why-tim-peels-hot-mic-incident-should-have-long-term-implications-on-nhl-officiating/ar-BB1eVNWo

The phantom call and make up calls have been going on for years.  Tim Peel gets removed from officiation duties for getting caught discussing "game management" by an open mic.  Game management has been an open secret for decades.

What makes me laugh (and cringe) is the league offices are acting like they're doing something for the integrity of the time, while they have been in on the plot all along.  Tim Peel could be an adverture to watch officiate a hockey game, but this response is closer to a case of throwing the guy under the bus who outed the leagues dirty little secret, despite evidence it's closer to unofficial NHL policy.  

Peel should retire, start drwaing his pension, and seek a job in broadcasting.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Fowl said:

https://www.tsn.ca/yost-the-nhl-rule-book-seems-headed-for-a-reckoning-1.1613303

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nhl-fires-referee-tim-peel-after-hot-mic-captures-him-n1261954

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/why-tim-peels-hot-mic-incident-should-have-long-term-implications-on-nhl-officiating/ar-BB1eVNWo

The phantom call and make up calls have been going on for years.  Tim Peel gets removed from officiation duties for getting caught discussing "game management" by an open mic.  Game management has been an open secret for decades.

What makes me laugh (and cringe) is the league offices are acting like they're doing something for the integrity of the time, while they have been in on the plot all along.  Tim Peel could be an adverture to watch officiate a hockey game, but this response is closer to a case of throwing the guy under the bus who outed the leagues dirty little secret, despite evidence it's closer to unofficial NHL policy.  

Peel should retire, start drawing his pension, and seek a job in broadcasting.

I wonder if they make the refs sign non-disclosure agreements. If not, Peel could make a small fortune outing the league's dirty laundry in a tell-all book. I'd buy it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fowl said:

Peel should retire, start drwaing his pension, and seek a job in broadcasting.

I think we're seeing a major shift now on how games are gonna be called....I think we already saw it yesterday. At least right now...refs wont be doing ANY "make-up" calls or things that could be considered that. If you're without a power play....unless some major happens, you're not getting one for small things. More games will be like playoffs "let the boys play"

i was very sad that my DVR didn't record yesterday's game.  i'm going to have to find a copy somewhere...

I would rather the officials set a uniform standard of infractions.  My beef is the league is throwing Peel under the bus for long standing sanctioned activity.  Game management is not a new thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I think we're seeing a major shift now on how games are gonna be called....I think we already saw it yesterday. At least right now...refs wont be doing ANY "make-up" calls or things that could be considered that. If you're without a power play....unless some major happens, you're not getting one for small things. More games will be like playoffs "let the boys play"

I can't see much changing.

There are a lot of comments about this from people that have clearly never officiated, as they think the comments from Peel somehow indicate that either (a) he is biased against a particular team or (b) he is looking for even up calls at the expense of calling correct penalties.

As a referee there are simply situations were you can 'feel' the game starting to get out of control. There are times when you know this is going to happen, because the teams have history, so you call a tight game right from the first puck drop. But there are times when this can come out of nowhere, sometimes because something got missed, or sometimes because for whatever reason the intensity from both teams is super high. In that situation as a referee you want to call something, anything, to get ahead of a player doing something stupid and dangerous. I don't think the call Peel made was good, and I didn't watch the game so I don't know how intense it was. In a situation like the one I describe above I would be looking to make some calls on physical play to try and tone down the players, not a ticky tack tripping call. But in that situation when you can feel the tension on the ice, if you don't start making those 50/50 calls, then the game quickly gets out of control and then some dumb player does something like check a guy from behind, then by that point it's too late to get control of the game.

This is what refs mean by 'game management' and is the reason why not all games are called the exact same way. It doesn't mean that penalties should be evened up by the end of the game, which is a separate issue that we do see in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nieder said:

I can't see much changing.

There are a lot of comments about this from people that have clearly never officiated, as they think the comments from Peel somehow indicate that either (a) he is biased against a particular team or (b) he is looking for even up calls at the expense of calling correct penalties.

As a referee there are simply situations were you can 'feel' the game starting to get out of control. There are times when you know this is going to happen, because the teams have history, so you call a tight game right from the first puck drop. But there are times when this can come out of nowhere, sometimes because something got missed, or sometimes because for whatever reason the intensity from both teams is super high. In that situation as a referee you want to call something, anything, to get ahead of a player doing something stupid and dangerous. I don't think the call Peel made was good, and I didn't watch the game so I don't know how intense it was. In a situation like the one I describe above I would be looking to make some calls on physical play to try and tone down the players, not a ticky tack tripping call. But in that situation when you can feel the tension on the ice, if you don't start making those 50/50 calls, then the game quickly gets out of control and then some dumb player does something like check a guy from behind, then by that point it's too late to get control of the game.

This is what refs mean by 'game management' and is the reason why not all games are called the exact same way. It doesn't mean that penalties should be evened up by the end of the game, which is a separate issue that we do see in the NHL.

Yeah, the angry conversation about "evening up" is missing a lot of the nuance.  Certainly it happens, as there's an unsavory aesthetic to a game where one team has six power plays and the other team has one.  Sometimes that disparity leads to frustration and criticism that referees and the league would rather avoid, so I'm sure it happens to some degree.  Speaking from my experience as an umpire, I know that when I make a particular call against one team, especially if it's an uncommon call that rankles the team, I am much more vigilant about whether that call can be made against the other team.  I might not even consciously think about it, but since I made it already, it's nearer the front of my mind.

I think people are missing the aspects of this that you're referring to - making marginal calls to ease the tension in a game.  They're also missing what I thought was the point of Peel's statement in the first place - the makeup call.  Again, as an umpire, I feel terrible when I blow a call.  I hate making mistakes, and I hate that they might effect the outcome of a game.  So, while I know it isn't necessarily the right way to go about it, I do sometimes look for a marginal call that I can make to give the other team the benefit.  That has nothing to do with evening things up from an overall standpoint, but it attempts to right a wrong, to bring a greater measure of justice to my officiating.  There are all sorts of issues with that line of thinking, but I guarantee that a vast majority of sports officials at least consider that course of action when they blow a call.  And many go down that road to try to make up for the previous mistake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yeah, the angry conversation about "evening up" is missing a lot of the nuance.  Certainly it happens, as there's an unsavory aesthetic to a game where one team has six power plays and the other team has one.  Sometimes that disparity leads to frustration and criticism that referees and the league would rather avoid, so I'm sure it happens to some degree.  Speaking from my experience as an umpire, I know that when I make a particular call against one team, especially if it's an uncommon call that rankles the team, I am much more vigilant about whether that call can be made against the other team.  I might not even consciously think about it, but since I made it already, it's nearer the front of my mind.

I think people are missing the aspects of this that you're referring to - making marginal calls to ease the tension in a game.  They're also missing what I thought was the point of Peel's statement in the first place - the makeup call.  Again, as an umpire, I feel terrible when I blow a call.  I hate making mistakes, and I hate that they might effect the outcome of a game.  So, while I know it isn't necessarily the right way to go about it, I do sometimes look for a marginal call that I can make to give the other team the benefit.  That has nothing to do with evening things up from an overall standpoint, but it attempts to right a wrong, to bring a greater measure of justice to my officiating.  There are all sorts of issues with that line of thinking, but I guarantee that a vast majority of sports officials at least consider that course of action when they blow a call.  And many go down that road to try to make up for the previous mistake.

I don't go out of my way to do make up calls, but if I realize that I have missed something, it is certainly in the back of my mind that I CANNOT miss the next thing that team does. So it may mean that the next call on that team is marginal, simply because I am actively trying to make sure I don't miss another call against that team.

Getting a feel for the game is something I have gotten with experience (I have been a ref for 16 years now and done some low division IIHF events, nothing close to NHL level but still a decent skill level of hockey). I don't know if it is something that a person who has not officiated a lot can understand. You just know when things are on a knife edge, even if there hasn't been anything flagrant happen in the game. All it is going to take in that situation is a face wash or a shot released a split second after the whistle to start a line brawl. So you want to start calling everything, no matter how marginal, to let the players know that nothing like that is going to be tolerated. Then there are other games that are intense, fast and extremely hard fought, but don't have the same level of tension, so you can just let them play a tough physical game without needing to worry about calling many penalties. From the outside looking in there might not be a lot of a difference between those types of games. That feel for the game only comes with experience.

• Like 1